40k Fun

Your campaigns, your favorite systems, and gaming news.

40k Fun

Postby dragonus45 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:24 pm

So i just got started into the actual table top after being an avid reader of the universe for many years. Im a beloved fan of Guant's ghosts and the imperial guard in general but im worried about investing in the guard and finding out there worthless to play competitively with ( im one of those sad people who has to play competitively of i dont feel like im playing).
Anyone on the boards happen to play.
http://dragonus45.mybrute.com

My aol is link32190 hit me up some time i love to chat
dragonus45

Re: 40k Fun

Postby Infidel » Thu May 14, 2009 2:29 am

I bought the RPG book because I love the universe, but haven't found anyone to play with.

The universe is so dark and pessimestic...I love it.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby dragonus45 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:17 am

The weird thing is i dont love it for its pessimism, i love it for its backwards optimism. Much like Berserk i find the evil horrible crapsack grimdark world to be a great backdrop for people who just wont quit even in the face of certain doom. But yea i am a bit of a Guard guy and they have it worse that anyone, what with all the aliens, xenos, heretics and chaos spawn they have to deal with without all the fun of being an Astartes.
http://dragonus45.mybrute.com

My aol is link32190 hit me up some time i love to chat
dragonus45

Postby Allandaros » Thu May 14, 2009 11:49 pm

Yo!

Gaunt's Ghosts got me into the Guard. I dream of collecting a second army (either Dark Angels or Orks), but as of yet I'm still building my single Guard force. Check the hobby stores near your place, dragonus - they'll likely be able to help out with finding other players and/or tournaments.

(As for me, I want fun friendly games, more in the Rogue Trader way, where there's a story being told as well as a battle being waged.)
Allandaros

Postby Alcazabedabra » Fri May 15, 2009 2:12 pm

The Imperial Guard fight on two basic theorems.

First, if you can just shell it until it dies, do that before sending in any infantry.

Second, if you *have* to send ordinary men into battle with creatures of unimaginable horror, put someone behind them who is even more terrifying. Namely, the Imperial Commissar.

I really love the Imperial Guard. Sadly, my only experience of the 40k universe has been through Dawn of War - a cheap imitation of the real thing, I'm sure.

The first army I collect will either be Space Marines (Ultramarines! Bad puns ftw!) or Imperial Guard. I just like rooting for the humans, you know? ...the ones that aren't driven mad by the Warp, drinking the blood of the weak and spewing forth hordes of willing sacrifices to the glory of unfettered Chaos...

*shudder*

I'd like to know more about how the Tao work in TT 40k, though. I like the idea of extremely mobile troops who do their damage at long range, but how does it work out in an actual scenario?
Alcazabedabra

Postby Infidel » Fri May 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Alcazabedabra wrote:
The first army I collect will either be Space Marines (Ultramarines! Bad puns ftw!) or Imperial Guard. I just like rooting for the humans, you know? ...the ones that aren't driven mad by the Warp, drinking the blood of the weak and spewing forth hordes of willing sacrifices to the glory of unfettered Chaos...

*shudder*

Well, on the the "good" side, thousands of psykers are sacrificed every day to keep the emperor alive as the space beacon. Everyone, not just marines is told from birth that their only value is what they can contribute to the emperor and that their death is meaningless, no one will mourn you, because no one cares. In a very real way, the "normal" humans are just as mad as the chaos forces.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Allandaros » Fri May 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Alcazabedabra wrote:The first army I collect will either be Space Marines (Ultramarines! Bad puns ftw!) or Imperial Guard. I just like rooting for the humans, you know? ...the ones that aren't driven mad by the Warp, drinking the blood of the weak and spewing forth hordes of willing sacrifices to the glory of unfettered Chaos...

You think Ultramarines is bad? Don't forget the Iron Hands chapter. You can tell that they're the Iron Hands because their Marines have Iron Hands. The primarch of the Iron Hands was Ferrus Manus, which means Iron Hands. ...yeah.

In a way I kind of miss the 40K that would put that sort of thing together, or name the Primarch of the Dark Angels Lion'el Johnson, or make the last words of the Raven Guard Primarch be "Nevermore." The 40K that could unblinkingly name a character Inquisitor Obi-Wan Sherlock Clouseau.
Allandaros

Postby thewamp » Sun May 24, 2009 1:44 pm

I haven't played in a while, but I'm pretty sure the guard are tournament worthy. That said, if you want to be absolutely sure, the good folks at the forums at librariumonline can tell you everything you would ever need to know about 40k
thewamp

Postby BeelzebubIV » Sun May 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Imperial Guard follow The Zap Branigan code of warfare. Keep throwing warm and disposable bodies at them until the enemies' arms get tired.
BeelzebubIV

Postby jioan » Mon May 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Currently Imperial Guard are recognized as the best team. (Debatebly the Orks, but with the latest IG codex Orks got a little behind.) As said in the above posts IG will use massive amounts of infantry to wear away at you until you die. One of my friends has an IG army and I can usually only beat him at objectives. (This is mainly because I play Eldar who can basically contest any objective due to their skimmers with star engines).
jioan

Postby konmanrocks » Wed May 27, 2009 5:59 pm

ahh, 40k. what fun
i play with a rather large group for 40k, we have 7 active participants, 5 of which are currently building there armies. i am currently building my Tau army, and i have to say, its a bunch of fun
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kendaric » Sun May 31, 2009 6:17 pm

I absolutely love 40k, I play at least twice a week. Currently fielding a Necron army, I'm thinking about starting either a Space Wolves army or a Tau one. Anyone played either?
Kendaric

Postby Prometheus » Sun May 31, 2009 10:18 pm

I don't play WH40k games, but I love the lore. It's just so deep and rich. And I love Ork logic: "All right, boyz, here's da plan: Win. And if we lose, it's your fault, because you didn't follow da plan."
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby Kaminobob » Sun May 31, 2009 11:15 pm

@Kendaric

i play Tau, and know a few marine and necron players.

for tau, you'd probably be very very sad at how easily everything dies compared to necrons.
any chapter of Marines is close to as durable as necrons, and they have about 30 times more options than the 'crons, so you might like them.
Kaminobob

Postby konmanrocks » Sun May 31, 2009 11:20 pm

Kendaric wrote:I absolutely love 40k, I play at least twice a week. Currently fielding a Necron army, I'm thinking about starting either a Space Wolves army or a Tau one. Anyone played either?

i am a beggining tau user. there fun, but the seem to be a little underpowered in the smaller battles.
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby jioan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:40 pm

Does anybody recognize my new avatar?
You probably won't unless you've read the Eldar codex though.
jioan

Postby Vare » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:56 am

jioan wrote:Does anybody recognize my new avatar?

I don't recognise who it is by name but I can tell its an elder, possibly a seer of some description?

I have a Dark Angels army that I usually play with. But at the moment having found the golries of Team Fortress 2 I've been neglecting my Warhammer passion, however I did apply for a job in my local store about a month ago and had a phone call about it this morning ;)
Might just be nothing, but who knows!

So I was thinking lately with my Dark Angels that I'm going to theme with entirely Deathwing Terminators that deep strike. Its a bit risky, but not having to trudge across a whole battlefield is almost always a bonus.
Vare

Postby Alluvian_Est-Endrati » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:44 pm

I really love the Warhammer 40K universe. While for a long time I was mostly a fan of Warhammer Fantasy, as 40k become more and more developed my interest grew. The RPG Dark Heresy is pretty darn awesome and is now being well managed by Fantasy Flight Games. They are apparently still working on the Rogue Trader game as well and other books & expansions.

What I am really looking forward to however, in terms of WH40K gaming, is the MMO being developed by Vigil/THQ. Hopefully it turns out well, as it certainly deserves a much better treatment than Warhammer Fantasy got from Mythic.
Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Postby Sareln » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:49 pm

It looks like Eldrad Ulthran of Ulthwe. The new (06) codex has some beautiful art in it (the Avatar stands out to me). I play Eldar in 40k and Wood Elves in Fantasy. Had a playgroup at college, but post graduation people to play with are harder to find.

I've got the Ork and Space Marine Codecies hanging around though (know thy enemy!) and so I'm thinking of grabbing Battle at Black Reach and then try to addict my roomates.
Sareln

Postby jioan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:45 am

Sareln wrote:

It looks like Eldrad Ulthran of Ulthwe. The new (06) codex has some beautiful art in it (the Avatar stands out to me). I play Eldar in 40k and Wood Elves in Fantasy. Had a playgroup at college, but post graduation people to play with are harder to find.

I've got the Ork and Space Marine Codecies hanging around though (know thy enemy!) and so I'm thinking of grabbing Battle at Black Reach and then try to addict my roomates.

Good job, your right. I don't play Fantasy, but in 40k I use Eldar and play with a group of 4 other friends. (2 Tau, 1 Nids, 1 IG)
jioan

Next

Return to General Gaming