Another Erf-Game

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Another Erf-Game

Postby Dark Arbiter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:31 pm

Wow. Lots of commenting went down today while I was being busy. Okay, let me address a few things:

Kaed wrote:Thou traitors D: This was my idea!

True. Sort of. ;) Credit to you and the other thread that came up with the vast majority of the ideas and rules.
I'm still stealing them though. :D

Anyway, there has been a much larger and generally more positive response (not universal; see above :roll:) than I thought there would be. This makes me a very happy GM.

With that said, I'd like to (much to my own dismay) put a cap on new sides for the time being. This will last until I find someone with whom I can work and rely on to be a sort of co-GM. I'm going to add a list of players to the original post, and I'll also post it below. If you aren't on this list and have either sent me a PM or posted intent to play somewhere above, I apologize. I've got all of the "applications" stored up, and as soon as I find someone to help me run things, I will begin letting people know that they can start playing. Good times all around, I know. Anyway:
  • Lefish
  • Twoy
  • Turbler
  • Azgrut
  • Crovius
  • Sinrus
  • Ehbobo
  • 3 players (friends of mine) from RL

Thus, my roster is currently capped at 10 people, which I am totally comfortable handling. Now, Turbler, I have not heard back from you on the issue of Wave and how it's working, so let me know ASAP. If anyone drops out, I will post here immediately and begin accepting applications. In the meantime however, feel free to PM me (posting can also work, but it's more likely to happen if you message me) if you're interested in helping me run the crazy madhouse of puns and metaphors that the aforementioned players have created. Assuming you're interested, you'll need to fit the following criteria (with a little wiggle room for good behavior):
  • Daily free time to run orders and communicate with me
  • The ability to access and use Google Wave during said free time (Wave trial account pending contact with me)
  • Either Safari, Chrome, or Firefox
  • Really. Please don't use IE. Please.
  • A Skype account/username so I can be in immediate contact if necessary

So yeah. Help!

Thank you again to everyone who's expressed interest, and pleeeease continue to debate the merits of the rules and such. The vast majority of these have not been tested in an actual game, so balancing is absolutely required. I really appreciate everyone's help, contributions, and even random outbursts of *cough* kaedisjealous *cough*.
"Well. You know."

"When life gives you crap, make Crap Golems, right?"
Dark Arbiter
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Dark Arbiter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 pm

I have, in the 3 minutes since that (above) was posted, spoken with a friend of mine who is willing to help DM. Given that, I can tentatively say that she will be taking on a small portion of players' orders. Nothing official yet, but you can continue posting new sides (or PMing them to me, much preferred), and I will let you all know as soon as I can continue taking new players.
"Well. You know."

Dark Arbiter

Postby Dark Arbiter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Ehbobo wrote:Side Name: Africus
C: Hippipotosturapus
4 turns
80 upkeep
HP: 11 Attack: 7 Defense: 4 Move: 3
Heavy, Water Capable, Mount

Okay, you can also get in, automatically and without question if you manage to pull some shit like this out of your behind.
"Well. You know."

Dark Arbiter

Postby Dark Arbiter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:40 am

Twoy wrote:I know I'm posting one thing after another, but I have a lot of questions.

Stacks
The units within a stack get a combat modifier proportional to the number of units in the stack
This bonus maxes at 8 units, and decreases with more than 8 units

What is the bonus?

Sorry, I forgot to answer this one when it was asked. The bonus is equal to 1.0 + 0.1 per unit above 1. So 2 units would get a multiplier of 1.1, 3 would get 1.2, etc.

8 units then get a 1.7 multiplier, but 9 units get only 1.6, with 10 getting 1.5, etc., down to a minimum of 1.0.

Does that answer the question?

P.S. - sorry for the long series of posts!
"Well. You know."

Dark Arbiter

Postby Azgrut » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:24 am

My side still needs rating for the upkeep of some of my units and their pop rate.

And I had asked if my daemon units could be lava capable :). Even though there is no lava in the game yet.

For balancing! Some magics are somewhat useless while other are extremely powerfull. But if players can somewhat invent their own spells, then this should balance out eventually.

And maybe we can add something that your first caster will be picked from 5 casters of your choice so you do not start with a macer that you absolutely do not and can not need (for instance, a hippymancer at start :P).

-edit About playability. I live in Europ on a very differen time zone then the rest of the world (the Netherlands to be precise). This might be a problem once but hey, I told you now! :)
Azgrut

Postby Twoy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Azgrut wrote:-edit About playability. I live in Europ on a very differen time zone then the rest of the world (the Netherlands to be precise). This might be a problem once but hey, I told you now! :)

I'm in the same time zone as Azgrut, even though I did not tell you before.
Twoy

Postby Dark Arbiter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Azgrut wrote:My side still needs rating for the upkeep of some of my units and their pop rate.

Right. I'll get on that immediately after this post.

And I had asked if my daemon units could be lava capable :). Even though there is no lava in the game yet.

You can totally be lava-capable if you WANT to. There are only a few volcano hexes on the entire map, so I can't say it'll be very useful, but I feel like you already know that. It will still cost you 2 points though!

For balancing! Some magics are somewhat useless while other are extremely powerfull. But if players can somewhat invent their own spells, then this should balance out eventually.

Agree. Most magics are not useless, but some are more generally applicable. I'm open to players making new spells, as long as they are run through a GM first to be checked.

And maybe we can add something that your first caster will be picked from 5 casters of your choice so you do not start with a macer that you absolutely do not and can not need (for instance, a hippymancer at start :P).

I actually have to disagree with you on this one. :o I'm fairly confident that almost all of the different caster types are pretty useful. If they aren't, I want to work to make them so, and the only way to do that is by having someone pop one. Also, I've had players pop a Hat Magician and a Hippiemancer as their first (and currently only) caster, and it's coming along splendidly. :D

-edit About playability. I live in Europ on a very differen time zone then the rest of the world (the Netherlands to be precise). This might be a problem once but hey, I told you now! :)

With Wave, as long as you can get order in once a day, that shouldn't be much of an issue. Once we get into interaction between sides (which I'm hoping will be more real-time) it might come up, but hopefully we'll be able to find a time frame that everyone involved can work with.

Twoy wrote:I'm in the same time zone as Azgrut, even though I did not tell you before.

No worries. Same as what I said above to Azgrut, :)
"Well. You know."

Dark Arbiter

Postby Crovius » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:04 pm

My side look ok? I'll try getting on wave tonight and all that and get started.
Crovius

Postby Ehbobo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:03 pm

How does one get wave, exactly?

EDIT: And as for the caster discussion, players should be allowed to make up new spells for their casters if they think of any, subject to GM moderation of course.
Ehbobo

Postby Ehbobo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Dark Arbiter wrote:
4 turns
80 upkeep

Okay, you can also get in, automatically and without question if you manage to pull some shit like this out of your behind.

Haha, but I'm going to have to give credit to Sinrus for coming up with this thing. Apparently it's a giant, angry Hippopotamus.
Ehbobo

Postby Dark Arbiter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Ehbobo wrote:
Dark Arbiter wrote:
4 turns
80 upkeep

Haha, but I'm going to have to give credit to Sinrus for coming up with this thing. Apparently it's a giant, angry Hippopotamus.

I respect your honesty. You can play anyway. :D
"Well. You know."

Dark Arbiter

Postby Dark Arbiter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Twoy wrote:
Dark Arbiter wrote:That's actually a very good point. Nobody has created units with frightening yet, so I will admit that I hadn't thought about it in detail. What about this:

Frightening (3) A single enemy stack (per unit with frightening) in the same hex as the unit lose leadership bonuses for the turn.

The problem with that rule is that generally a stack will have either no leadership bonus or a bonus from only one unit in the stack -- the warlord.

I think decreasing the leadership by some points will make the units very valuable and powerful. I'm already working on having a special unit C or D with Frightening.

What if Frightening decreased the Leadership bonus of all units in a hex by 1 point? That way even a single Frightening unit would be fairly helpful, while a full stack of Frightening units would be able to knock out the bonus from all but the highest-level Warlords.
"Well. You know."

Dark Arbiter

Postby Azgrut » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:25 pm

I absolutely agree with this up here. Even with this, freightening is a good ability worth its points. Not overpowered.
Azgrut

Postby turbler » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:18 pm

unghh. I CAN'T PM you, it complains I haven't specified a reciever or whatever, even though I have... therefore. . .this is it.

Piker Class
Faewy
These Units used to use daggers, but Overlord Laharl saw fit to give them spears and make them defensive units, as they are rather large and well fit for the position.
1 turn, pops as garrison unit. Upkeep 20 each, can be promoted to normal unit for 50 Schmuckers, but upkeep raises to 30. ( HP 8, Attack 3, Defense 4, Move 3)

Stabber Class
Pwinny
These Penguin-esque Units wield a pair of Machetes, using them to make up for their dimunitive stature.
1 turn, upkeep 30 each. (HP 6, Attack 4, defense 2, Move 4)

Scout Class
Gremlin (normally the Nether-Erf uses Imps, but to avoid confusion with the OTHER Imps, they sent Gremlins, which are of the same species)
These Units have almost no body, large wings, and a long tail, and make great scouts, but poor combat units
1 turn, 30 upkeep. (HP 4, Attack 1, Defense 1, Move 8 They possess natural Thinkamancy and may relay information to their Overlord or a Warlord. In the absence of a Thinkamancer, this has a functional maximum range of 6)

Special A
Manticowes (the E is silent)
These Beasts are a common mount for the troops of the Nether-Erf, with good strength and the ability to fly. However they are also very able on their own
Flying, Mount, Fast
Hits 6
Combat 3
Defense 3
Move 11 (includes the bonus from Fast)
Upkeep 40-50
2 turns to pop

Special B
Tweant
These units look quite like tree stumps, and it's said that these are trees that gained sentience. They are quite poisonous however, much like acid rock golems.
Toxic
Hits 6
Combat 5
Defense 4
Move 4
Upkeep 40-50
2 turns pop

Archer Class
Shadow
These units have the ability to shoot fire or ice at their foes, they tend to prefer Ice for the lands' sake.
1 turn, pops as garrison unit. Upkeep 30 each, can be promoted to normal unit for 50 Schmuckers, but upkeep raises to 40. HP 6, Attack 6, Defense 1, Move 3, Special - Archery

Special Unit C
Nethew Golem
Formed from the compressed gasses of the Nether-Erf (it's a plane of existence too, I say. ). They are powerful, and yet still quite smart.
Hits 8
Combat 4
Defense 6
Move 6
Special: Fabrication

Knight Class
Lantern (no, not Lantewn, that sounds weird.)
A unit with a pumpkin for a head and and a natural sense of rythm
Hits 12
Combat 8
Defense 6
Move 5
Dance-Fighting

________-Google Wave-_________
mmkay, so Google Wave invite accepted. I'm just trying to find a name with no number really xP.
Last edited by turbler on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turbler

Postby Sinrus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:28 pm

What does "Limited Turnamancy" include?
Sinrus

Postby turbler » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:59 pm

same thing any OTHER limited has, of course. see specials on page 2 for more details xP
turbler

Postby Sinrus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:07 pm

What spells, I meant. Because having a legion of knight-class units that can all improve your cities' production speed seems way overpowered. If they only have the ability to use loyalty-turning spells and spells that deal with time of effects, that would be far more balanced.
Sinrus

Postby Crovius » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:09 pm

There's a cap on limited mancy I thought... or at least there should be. Kinda like how Builder and Surveyor have limits on how many times they add up.

Anyway, heading to the gym, then hopefuly home. All you interested in Bloodbowl I'll be posting the stats of each race tomorrow or maybe tonight if I'm feelign nice.
Crovius

Postby Azgrut » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:28 pm

uhm... Was limited spellcasting not something only D units had acces to?
Azgrut

Postby turbler » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:35 pm

it's any spell, I thought, but you only get 20 juice. Also. . .I thought that the C could access the high specials.
turbler

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games