PbP Games?

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: PbP Games?

Postby jioan » Sat May 30, 2009 11:40 am

So does anybody want to be a GM or are we not going to play? It appears we have enough people willing to play we just need someone to get us started. I would, but I've never GM'd a PbP game before only tabletop.

Also, we should probably do DnD since it seems everyone here has played that.
jioan

Postby TheCake » Sat May 30, 2009 7:24 pm

I'm totally up for playing 3.5 DnD i don't want to be the DM though
TheCake

Postby Skyrar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:08 pm

I'd play, too. I know some of the rules of D&D from Computer games, I've played quite a bit chat and P&P RP. I don't have the time to GM though, and would have to read on the Lore stuff of D&D anyway. But I'm online every day and I like forum games. So please GM, show yourself. :mrgreen:

1st post, btw. Hi Erfworld forum.
True Neutral Human Barbarian/Bard (2nd/1st Level)
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby JohnnyEgregious » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:54 am

Maybe we could go for a simpler forum game, since DM's aren't forthcoming. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game) was a lot of fun during one of the first forums I was ever on. There are a ton of variations, and users all took turns narrating. The best part about the game is that it only requires one post a day from everyone to vote, and maybe a pm or two to the narrator.

If we can get 8+ people to say something to the affirmative in this thread, I'll start a sign up thread and narrate the first one myself (if no one else wants to, of course.) The major fun of being the narrator is that you can pick the setting, the story, name the roles however you want, and you get to create hilarious and/or graphic deaths for people.

One great part about playing is creating your own player character in the story and RPing. And even though I sometimes feel disgusting with random preteens RPing nonsense in a chatroom, I've had a lot of fun with this game. Each game only lasts a week or two (especially with multiple people dying every night) So everyone who wants to gets a chance to narrate.
I'm workin' on my thinkin' and I'm thinkin' it's improving.
JohnnyEgregious

Postby Gerwulf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:26 am

I would be willing to dm a game of 3.5, but it would have to be small, no more than 6 players. I can commit to posting at least once a day (with very few exceptions which should have plenty of advance notice) and will try to post 2-4 times per day. for simplicity I would do all the dice rolls myself, waiting on others to roll and verifying them online would tax my already limited time. and I would limit access to the rule books I have on hand. PHB, DMG, MM 1-4, Compeate Arcane, Magic Item Compendium, and Complete Scoundrell. If you're interested post a Level 1 character (name, stats, feats, special notes, and back story.) your back story should have you end up at the Docks of the capital City Dunemore at midnight on the first day of spring (a full moon). If you plan on multi clasing please let us know ahead of time when you plan on doing so, and what you plan on taking (I wont hold you to it but it helps me pick a party that will work well together). I'll invite the people who look like the best canidates to another thread for the actual game.

Play would work as follows, I post a scene or combat set up. players post intended actions/goals. anybody who hasn't posted in 24 hours either continues their previous actions or if that doesn't apply gets assigned a random action by my dice of action {1=attack, 2=stare at cealing, 3=heal random allie, 4=scream and run away...etc} for example:

ME: you enter the cave and spot a goblin standing behind an overturned waggon. he is holding a bow and looks ready to attack...

P1: I charge the Goblin and slice its head off
P2: I pull out my bow and shoot the goblin
P3: wait, one goblin... I look arround the room and try to see if there are more. if I spot one I'll cast magic missile at it, if not I'll sling the one behind the waggon.

ME: P2 wins initiative and shoots the goblin wounding it severly but not killing it. P1: charges and the 3 goblins hiding to the sides get their readied actions off. 2 arrows hit P1 in the side and one sails harmlessly past, P1 slams into the goblin behind the cart and slices it in half. P1 you are bleading slightly. P3 you can clearly see the 3 sneak attacking goblins and fire a magic missiel at the closest one wounding it slightly.

P1: I charge the closest goblin and attack, I'll keep attacking untill they're all dead
P2: I multi shot the 2 goblins that are not damaged yet, then I'll wait and snipe any that try to escape
P3: I magic missile the same one I hit before, DIE GOBLIN DIE!!!

ME:P2 shoots the two unwounded goblins missing one and slightly wounding the other.
the goblins drop their bows and draw short swords. the each charge one of the party. P1 you get slashed at, but the sword glances off your armor, P2 your goblin stabs you in the leg. you're bleading heavily. P3 the goblins blade pierces your chest, you are severly wounded. stagering back a step P3 blasts his goblin with a magic missile while scraming "DIE GOBLIN DIE" droping the beast. P1 fells his goblin. the last living goblin turns to run, but P2 puts an arrow in his back and the goblin slumps to the ground.

to spead up combat you can post multiple actions (eg "I attack the nearest enemy repeatedly"; or "I heal the rogue, then fall back. on my next turn I'm going to try to climb the cliff face." or "In round 1 I cast fireball, if any survive I cast scorching ray on round 2 targeting the healthiest looking ones.")
I'll post the results for as long into the battle as I can go without breaking your stated actions.
You can also post contingency actions (eg "If anyone looks badly wounded I'll heal them, otherwise I'm going to keep swining my mace at the nearest skeleton." or "If the rogue is spoted I'll charge the nearest one, otherwise I'm holding my ground"

*edit: I would keep track of your hitpoints and only tell you generally how your character feels. Good = full hp no problems. Slightly Wounded =75% -99% health, no serious problems. Wounded = 50%-74%, or a status ailment or minor ability damage. Severly Wounded =25% -49% or major status ailment or ability damage. Almost Dead = 1%-24% health or cripling status ailment or ability damage. Unconcious = 0 to -9 HP but not dead. Dead = Dead
Gerwulf

Postby malekith » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:53 am

I'd be up for it.
can you PM me with any info on restrictions on character creation if there are any.
I have a few ideas but need to be sure if they're useable and may need some help with backstory :D

Mal
malekith

Postby TheCake » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:40 am

I'll play but do i have to come up with a backstory i'm not really good at them
TheCake

Postby Lothmar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:50 pm

Excellent, I shall begin typeing this up then at lunch break since I'll be heading home anyway. ^^

Oh yes, I need to know how we're doing stats. I assume point buy, or are you going to assign totals for us to work with (16,14,12,12,10,8) etc. Also, are we doing general class starting coin, sometimes certain dm's set things at specific levels for specific campaigns.
Lothmar

Postby jioan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:25 pm

I'll play as well.
Dibs on Gnome Druid. ;)

Also, I would like to know how we're doing stats.
jioan

Postby Lothmar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:28 pm

jioan wrote:I'll play as well.
Dibs on Gnome Druid. ;)

Also, I would like to know how we're doing stats.

Leaky windstaff anyone!? XD
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0344.html
Lothmar

Postby Skyrar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Cool. I'd play a relatively simple character, as I'm not that familiar with the D&D Lore. Something like a Ranger who has left his home woods to find out if the legend of the three-horned Ambigush-Deer that roams the surrounding lands of Dunemore only at full moon is true. The three horns would make a superb Trophy for my greenhorn Ranger. He has a sister, Virin, at home, who is married to a farmer. His parents live in a little village named Cale and do stuff like sitting in front of the house and watching the sun, wishing for grandkids and nagging at the weather.
So, the ranger seeks out his destiny in hunting bigger deer than the squirrels in the woods of Cale.

For the char creation, I used http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm this and the stuff from the wizards of the coast homepage and wiki. I hope its correct. I think you may want to have the stats re-rolled or something, just tell me.

Name: Corlen
Lvl 1 Ranger

stats:
STR 10
DEX 15 (+2) (7)
CONST 17 (+3) (13)
INT 12 (+1) (2)
WIS 16 (+3) (10)
CHA 10

Hit Points: 10
feats: Alertness, Point Blank Shot, Track
skills: I only write the stuff I skilled for now, not the (+x) from the stats/feats.
Climb 2, Handle Animal 2, Hide 4, Listen 4, Move Silently 4, Search 4, Spot 4, Survival 4

Favored Enemies: Humanoid (Elf), there was trouble with wood elven natives and the settlers of his hometown.
Ranger chose the archery track.

Equip: Longbow, Dagger, Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and steel, Arrows (dunno how many is normal), Light padded clothing, aaand a hat. :)

Corlen is about 1,82 meters (sry, german) tall, has black hair and brown eyes. A sturdy face with a big nose in it, bushy eyebrows, intense look if he gets concentrated. He can read and write a bit and speaks Common. Backstory see above. I hope you like him and would ask to join your game.
Last edited by Skyrar on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby jioan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:06 pm

Zorbo Woodshaper
level 1
Alignment: True Neutral
Class: Druid
Race: Gnome
Deity: Thanatra

11 Health
Armor Class 17 (Hide +3, Shield +1, Small +1, Dexterity +2)

Stats: 11 Strength (3 - 2)
14 Dexterity +2 (5)
16 Constitution +3 (5 + 2)
11 Intelligence (1)
17 Wisdom +3 (13)
14 Charisma +2 (5)

Feats: Animal Affinity
Skills: 4 ranks in Handle Animal
4 Ranks in Heal
4 Ranks in Perception
4 Ranks in Ride

Items: Hide Armor, Light Wooden Shield, Scimitar, Quarterstaff, 50 ft. rope, tent, grappling hook, spell component pouch, and a backpack (Medium Load)

Appearance: About 3' 7" and weighs 45 lbs. He has a tan shade to his skin that deepens in color during the summer. His eyes are a non miraculous blue that can appear green at times. His hair is a light-brown that lays wavy and tangled on his head. He cuts it when it gets in his eyes and combs it out then too so it can appear curly near the end of the process. He has no beard and shaves off any hair that can be seen on his face. He wears hide over a raggy brown shirt. He also has pants that he make at the beginning of winter and cuts the leggings of at the beginning of summer. He walks with a slight slouch and smiles when most people walk by. He doesn't show his teeth though because they have been yellowed from a lack of attention. Jagg, his wolf, is a dark grey with white underbelly fur. His eyes are a dark brown like chocolate. His right ear is torn but still functions fully. He has a rather long snout and teeth and fangs that show sometimes even when he doesn't want them to.

Animal Companion: Wolf (Jagg)
Medium-Size Animal
Hit dice 2d8+4 (15 hit points)
Initiative +2 (Dex)
Speed 50 feet
AC: 14 ( +2 Dex +2 natural)
Attacks: Bite +3 melee (Weapon Finesse);
Damage 1d6+1 (bite);
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Perception +7; Stealth +5; Survival +1;
Feats: Weapon Finesse (Bite)

Background Story:

Zorbo was born in Jaryenn, a tribal village near the center of the continent. It was built deep inside an ancient forest with enormous trees. Jaryenn was an interesting village with no proper buildings. Wood from fallen limbs was constructed into cone-like structures which intersected with some of the trees. These trees were hollowed out and used as rooms and staircases to get to higher parts of the trees. Higher up were more cone-like structures on the larger limbs and bridges leading to other trees. Jaryenn was filled completely with gnomes. The population was fairly steady at 250. The reason it didn't increase was because of the neighboring kobold village. The Kobolds plagued the lands slaying the oldest of all the trees. The gnomes had tried stopping this for hundreds of years, but neither side could defeat the other. It was evenly matched. Zorbo was born during this era of constant war. He grew up learning not only his family trade, wood crafting, but also to fight. He learned how to wield the average weapons of his people which included the club and quarterstaff. However, he also received training with one the great weapons. The great weapons include a few foreign weapons found rarely on the forest floor. Zorbo got to train the scimitar which he used with a light wooden shield.
Zorbo was only 2 years from becoming a warrior when the battle had ended. It had first appeared to be good news. A group of nomadic orcs had entered the area and massacred the kobolds for no apparent reason. Then later that day the orcs came for the gnomes. Jaryenn was always ready for assault but couldn't stand for the massive force the orcs had. Zorbo had taken the scimitar and a shield and ran into battle. He stabbed one orc in the back but was then smashed in the side with the mace of another one. Zorbo had been hit so hard he flew into the air and landed in a small crevice covered by tree roots. He fell unconscious as the battle raged on without him. He woke up and found himself still laying in the crevice stiff, tired, thirsty and with an aching side.
When he found the strength to climb out he saw carnage everywhere. The bodies of gnomes and orcs lay strewn across moss and grass staining it blood red. Zorbo saw that the trees which were used as buildings had been burnt and chopped at so the only remains were charred stumps. Zorbo looked at the disaster and wept. He cried until he had no tears left to shed and got up. He walked up to a dead orc with his scimitar in hand and slashed at it. Over and over and over until the body showed no resemblance to any race. He walked out of his destroyed home into the wild woods.
Only a few hours later did he hear the growl of a bear. In his rage he didn't notice or care about the growl until he stumbled on another gruesome scene. A wounded grizzly was beating a mother wolf and her pups to death. When the bear looked up Zorbo ran and charged at the bear. He smashed the bears head in with his shield and cut it off with his scimitar. When he looked at the wolfs he saw that they were all dead. Except one. A pup with a torn ear lay whimpering by its dead family. Zorbo picked the creature up and spoke to it that they were the same. They were survivors.
Years later Zorbo made it out of the forest. The pup (Now a full grown wolf named Jagg) was still with him. Zorbo's anger had long ago been buried as he found peace in nature. It was still there dormant and ignored. It would still have lasting effects on him. Whenever he killed something he didn't hesitate but he didn't feel joy in it either. He had a philosophy that we would all die eventually and although life was good it only prolonged the inevitable. After emerging from the forest he wandered a little until he found a city. When he entered he discovered it was the capital of Dunemore. Zorbo didn't want to live in such a strange place so he built a house cone-style a few miles from it for him and Jagg. He then started doing something he remembered from long ago. He crafted wood. He went to Dunemore to sell it sometimes and would stay overnight before heading back. That is why tonight he is at the city socks gazing at the full moon.

Note: Zorbo will use Jagg as a mount and Zorbo is used to it so he won't get a penalty to a ride check for this. He will ,however, get a penalty if he tries to ride a horse.
Last edited by jioan on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
jioan

Postby Gerwulf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:30 am

Use the PHB standards for starting wealth. Use the standard 32 pt buy for stats. use this chart:
7 = -4
8 = -2
9 = -1
10 = 0
11 = 1
12 = 2
13 = 3
14 = 5
15 = 7
16 = 10
17 = 13
18 = 17

I'm not going to limit anything so long as its found in one of the source books listed above. I'll post some lore and important history for the world tomorrow to help you all out with back stories.
Gerwulf

Postby Skyrar » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:06 am

Okay, I changed my stats according to this Point buy system.
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby TheCake » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:10 am

Can I use 1 feat from the complete adventurer? all it does is allow you to use dex instead of int for search and disable device
TheCake

Postby Gerwulf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am

TheCake wrote:Can I use 1 feat from the complete adventurer? all it does is allow you to use dex instead of int for search and disable device

PM me the details and I'll take a look. I may allow it, but I'll need to look it over first.

*Edit*
and here is a little more detail about the world you will inhabit

The world of Anvelis

The world of Anvelis is small; the known world consists of only a single continent about the size of Canada. There are 20 major cities on the coast, and several small fishing villages. The interior is largely untamed, though there are several small hunting villages and a few primitive tribes that trade with the major cities. (Feel free to name your own home town as I’ve not named every city.) The capital Dunemoore lies on the eastern coast and is the largest city. It has a population of about 300,000 people. There is a King, Garith the Third, who is well liked by most. The king has 3 sons and 1 daughter, his oldest is Garith the fourth, next is Tevin, followed by Svet, and his daughter is Nevia. There is a large number of guardsmen in the city (if someone wants to be a guard they will start the game with breast plate armor or splint mail and a MW long sword but 1/3 normal starting wealth) who generally help to keep the peace. The city of Valencia 2 weeks travel to the north of the city of Dunemoore holds a Mages tower where young mages are apprenticed and the knowledge of old is kept safe.

As far as religion goes, these are the major deities for the world:
Iao: Goddess of Healing, Domains include Healing, Good, Protection, & Strength. Worshipers of Iao focus on healing, though they are not afraid of fighting if it comes to it. Allowed alignments include: Lawful good, Lawful Neutral, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good. Her favored Weapon is the Mourning Star.

Ceri: Goddess of Chaos, Domains include Trickery, Destruction, Chaos, & Death. Worshipers of Ceri live for chaos; they enjoy battle because of its chaotic nature, and often seek out conflict. Allowed alignments include: Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil, & True Neutral. Favored Weapon is the Short Spear

Diamitriis: God of War, Domains include War, Strength, Destruction, & Protection. Worshipers of Diamitriis treat war and battle as a holy ceremony. They will not shy from a fight, but they won’t rush into battle on a whim either. Allowed Alignments include: Any. Favored Weapon is the Bastard Sword

Snevlibim: God of Travel, Domains include Knowledge, Luck, Plant, & Travel. Worshipers of Snevlibim love to travel, they think the open road is more a home than any warm bed or inn, and will often camp out rather than pay for a bed. Allowed alignments include: Any Neutral. Favored Weapon is the Sling

Gheta: Goddess of Magic, domains include Knowledge, Magic, Water, Fire, Earth, & Air. Worshipers of Gheta enjoy magic; they seek it out and will often hoard seemingly useless items because of faint magical properties. Allowed alignments include: Any Neutral. Favored Weapon is the Quarter Staff

Gratik & Tanuk (AKA the Brothers): The Record Keepers, guardians of history: Domains include Knowledge, Travel, History (described below), & Magic. Worshipers of the Brothers live for knowledge, to them there is no greater crime than destroying or ignoring history. Allowed Alignments include any Lawful. Favored Weapon is the Hand Crossbow

History Domain:
Granted Power: Divine Focus: once per day you can take 20 on a Knowledge check to “remember” something of importance from the past – even if you are completely unfamiliar with the subject at hand.
Domain Spells:
1st: Comprehend Languages
2nd: Fox’s Cunning
3rd: Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
4th: Scrying
5th: Contact Other Plane
6th: True Seeing
7th: Scrying, Greater
8th: Discern Location
9th: Foresight
Last edited by Gerwulf on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gerwulf

Postby TheCake » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:38 am

Actually i'm not going to get it but those are it's details (slight paraphrasing) use dex instead of int for search and disable device it's called tactile trapsmith
TheCake

Postby Gerwulf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm going to house rule a few skills to be combined. The list is as follows

Hide and Move silently will be combined into Stealth
Concentration and Spellcraft will be combined into Spellcraft
Spot and Listen will be combined into Perception
Disable Device can be used to open Non Magical Locks. Open Lock will be required to open magical locks. (DD will offer a synergy bonus to OL)

If your class gets either of the skills combined into one the new joint skill is a class skill for you. Any feats/special abilities that grant a bonus to one or both skills grants it to the new combined skill, but you can't stack bonuses. A feat or ability that grants a +2 to hide and move silently would only grant a +2 to stealth, not a +4
Gerwulf

Postby Lothmar » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:08 pm

I dont mind combined skills, it makes it easier for fourth addition and such.
However, why would anyone then take 'awareness' (or was it alertness?) for +2/+2 when they could take skill focus perception for +3? (Hint hint for you tweakers XD)

Also, Concentraion (constitution) and spellcraft (intelligence) together? Which stat do I use, intelligence since it's now just called spellcraft?
Lothmar

Postby jioan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:15 pm

I finished editing Zorbo's skills. Thanks by the way because he rolled pretty bad. :D
I do have a question about skill combination though. Jagg was given his skills naturally for being a level one wolf companion. I was wondering how his skills would combine to make Perception and Stealth.
jioan

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games