War of the Arkentools

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

War of the Arkentools

Postby Ehbobo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 pm

There is a region on Erf completely surrounded by impassable wastelands. It is the titans' comedy, a place where epic battles are fought for their amusement. Now four sides have been created, and each gifted with an arkentool. The four sides have alway existed in an uneasy peace, but to the titans, peace is boring. Each of the sides' rulers have been visited in dreams and promised victory. The War of the Arkentools has begun.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So this is the new game that I decided to create, drawing from Kaed's rules and Dark Arbiter's. However, it has a few elements that I haven't seen incorporated anywhere, namely, arkentools and technology. The point of the game is simple: Possess every known arkentool. Nobody will start off attuned to their tool, but don't worry; someone on your side will attune soon enough. Arkentools give the attuned wielder and all friendly units in his hex the ability to Rock Out.

Unfortunately I can only take 4 players at this time, so if you would like to join PM me your side information and two random numbers from 1-4, which will determine your starting location and which tool you receive.

Terrain
Spoiler: show
Terrain is what the environment is like. It comes in several types.
• Open: Totally normal. Only terrain where cities can be built.
• Desert: Very sandy. ½ move to all passing units.
• Mountain: Rocky. -3 move.
• Light Forest: A few trees. -1 move.
• Dense forest: Lots of trees. -2 move.
• Water: Really, really wet. Impassable.

Cities
The basis of the game is, of course, cities. Cities are the main source of income for a side, but their real value lies in the ability to pop units. Cities can only be built in open hexes and must be at least 7 hexes away from each other. They take up a single hex.

A level 1 city costs 2500 schmuckers to build. Further costs are necessary to upgrade to higher levels: 4000 to level 2, 5500 to level 3, 7500 to level 4, and 10000 to level 5. At level 2, a city adjacent to water can build a shipyard for 1000 schmuckers (if naval architecture has been researched), which allows production of ships.

• Level 1:
Produces 800 schmuckers per turn
No walls
Infantry: 2 per turn
A-Unit: 1 per turn

• Level 2:
Produces 1000 schmuckers per turn
Gains level 1 walls
Infantry: 4 per turn
A-Unit: 2 per turn
B-Unit: 1 per 2 turns
Knight: 1 per 4 turns
A-Ship: 1 per 2 turns

• Level 3:
Produces 1300 schmuckers per turn
Gains level 2 walls
Infantry: 6 per turn
A-Unit: 3 per turn
B-Unit: 1 per turn
Knight: 1 per 2 turns
Siege Tower: 1 per 5 turns
Warlord: 1 per 10 turns
A-Ship: 1 per turn
B-Ship: 1 per 2 turns

• Level 4:
Produces 1500 schmuckers per turn
Gains level 3 walls
Infantry: 8 per turn
A-Unit: 4 per turn
B-Unit: 2 per turn
C-Unit: 1 per 5 turns
Knight: 1 per turn
Siege Tower: 1 per 3 turns
Warlord: 1 per 8 turns
A-Ship: 2 per turn
B-Ship: 1 per turn
C-Ship: 1 per 3 turns

• Level 5:
Produces 2000 schmuckers per turn
Gains level 5 walls
Infantry: 12 per turn
A-Unit: 6 per turn
B-Unit: 5 per turn
C-Unit: 1 per 2 turns
Knight: 3 per turn
Siege Tower: 1 per turn
Warlord: 1 per 5 turns
A-Ship: 4 per turn
B-Ship: 2 per turn
C-Ship: 1 per turn

Resources
Resource buildings also create income. They cannot be adjacent to a hex containing another resource building or city. A warlord must be in a hex (or adjacent, in the case of a wharf) for the resource building to be constructed. A warlord can oversee a resource building to increase production by 50%. Resource buildings can be captured by enemy forces. Resource buildings come in several types:
• Farm: Built on open hexes. Takes 1 turn to create. +100 schmuckers per turn.
• Mill: Built on forest or dense forest hexes. Takes 3 turns to create. +300 schmuckers per turn.
• Wharf: Built on water hexes bordering land. From that point on, treat this hex as an open hex. Takes 3 turns to create. +350 schmuckers per turn.
• Mine: Built on mountain hexes. Takes 5 turns to create. +500 schmuckers per turn.

Roads, bridges, and tunnels
Roads can also be built for several purposes. If a warlord takes double move to cross over a hex, he can leave behind a road (creating a bridge requires triple move over a water hex. NOTE that the bridge must go straight across [although more bridges can be created going in different directions] and can only be a single hex long). Bridges have a maximum amount of units that can cross in a single turn. If more try to cross, the bridge will collapse. Roads increase movement speed and create additional income for resource buildings by linking them to a city. Tunnels can go beneath any terrain, but can only open in mountain hexes. They are not visible from above ground. Tunnels are constructed in the same way as roads. Roads, tunnels and bridges must be researched in order to be created.

Forts
The final construction is the fort. A fort costs 3000 schmuckers and 5 turns to pop, cannot be adjacent to a city or another fort, and a warlord must be in the hex to create it. Forts cannot pop units or produce schmuckers, but they are surrounded by level 3 walls.

Units
A unit is anything that fights. They are popped in cities.
• Infantry: Standard infantry uses its fists to fight and uses base unit stats. Upgrades can be researched. Upkeep 15.
Hits: 4 Combat: 2 Defense: 2 Move: 3
• A-Unit: A basic special unit. In addition to the base unit stats, 7 points can be assigned for stats (Hits increase by 3 for every 2 points) or simple specials (exceptions are scout link and flight). Upkeep 70.
• B-Unit: A medium-powerful special unit. In addition to the base unit stats, 14 points can be assigned for stats or simple or complex specials. Upkeep 110.
• C-Unit: An immensely power unit, these monsters can use 25 points for stats or any specials: simple, complex, or high level. Upkeep 230.
• Knight: Knight-class units can add 18 points onto their base stats. A Knight-Class infantry pops the Rider ability unless they are Heavy. Heavy Knight-Class infantry are allowed to pick a second special for only 2 points, due to being unable to have the Rider ability, but more can be bought for full price. Upkeep 142.
• Siege Tower: Siege Towers are unique for two reasons: all units in their cargo gain the siege special, and they don’t have a combat stat. They have 5 points to add to their base stats and cannot take any specials. Upkeep 65.
Hits: 8 Defense: 5 Move: 2 Cargo: 6 (Heavy units can not be a part of this unit's cargo)
• A-Ship: The A-Ship is a small, weak naval vessel. It has 4 points to add on to the base ship unit stats and cannot take any specials. Upkeep 40.
• Hits: 6 Combat: 3 Defense: 2 Move: 3 Cargo: 4
• B-Ship: This vessel is moderately more powerful; it has 8 extra points. Upkeep 55.
• C-Ship: The most powerful battleship around, C-Ships are juggernauts compared to other types. They have 15 points to assign. Upkeep 100.
• Warlord: Warlords are possibly the most crucial units in the game. They and they alone can provide leadership bonuses (greater than 1, at least) to your units. For all purposes except popping, a side’s ruler counts as a warlord. Upkeep 180.
--Warlords pop with the specials leadership and rider. They cannot affect their base stats, but the following specials can be added to every warlord/caster your side pops. This will result in higher upkeep negotiable with the GM. Heavy, (Terrain) Capable, Dance-Fighting, Limited Mancies, and Flight.
Hits: 14 Combat: 8 Defense: 8 Move: 6
-There is a chance that a warlord will pop as a caster.
Hits: 8 Combat: 5 Defense: 4 Move: 5
-Warlords pop with the specials leadership and rider. They cannot affect their base stats, but the following specials can be added to every warlord/caster your side pops. This will result in higher upkeep negotiable with the GM. Heavy, Ranged, (Terrain) Capable, Dance-Fighting, and Flight.
Hits: 14 Combat: 8 Defense: 8 Move: 6
- There is a chance that a warlord will pop as a caster.
Hits: 8 Combat: 5 Defense: 4 Move: 5
• Wall: Walls come in several types, each with different amounts of points to add on to the base, or to spend on air defenses. Air defenses are magical triggers that can hit fliers who would normally pass over unharmed. Level 1: 0 points. Level 2: 20 points. Level 3: 50 points. Level 4: 100 points.
Hits: 75 Air Defenses: 20 Defense: 50 Cargo: 24

Specials
1. Simple Specials (cost 2)
1. Mount
1. Allows the unit to be ridden, with a -4 combat modifier to non-rider units
2. Rider
1. Allows the unit to ride units with the Mount special without taking the -4 combat modifier
3. Heavy
1. The unit gains +6 HP, but cannot enter tunnels (unless it has burrowing) or ride a mount.
4. Ranged
1. The unit cannot be hit (except by other ranged units) until all non-ranged units are croaked.
2. The unit can fire from defensive locations, such as on walls.
5. Toxin
1. The unit will inflict damage on the enemy equal to the unit's attack on the turn after combat
2. Applies even if the Toxic unit is croaked
3. Secondary damage is based on the unit's attack before modifiers and bonuses.
6. (Terrain) Capable
1. Allows the unit to move unhindered across the given terrain type
7. Builder
1. Reduces build cost/time of all constructions by 2%/1 turn
2. Builder unit must be present to apply the bonus
3. Max bonus of 20% reduced cost with stacked Builders
8. Surveyor
1. Increases output of a resource point by 4%
2. Surveyor unit must be present to apply the bonus
3. Max bonus of 20% with stacked Surveyors
9. Siege
1. Allows the unit to attack city walls
10. (-mancy) Golem
1. Cannot be given to non-golem units
2. Grants the unit a +1 bonus to combat per level of the relevant caster in the stack
2. Complex Specials (Cost 3 or 4)
1. Frightening (3)
1. Enemy units in the same hex lose 1 point of leadership bonus for each level of the highest level frightening unit in the hex.
2. Dance-Fighting (4)
1. The unit gains a +6 bonus to combat or defense.
2. Requires warlord leadership (though the warlord need not have dance-fighting, he will in that case not receive the bonus) or dance-fight capable knight leadership.
3. Fast (3)
1. Grants the unit +8 to move
4. Fabrication (3)
1. Unit can create simple items
5. Burrowing (4)
1. Unit can move in tunnels
2. Purchasable only by heavies.
6. Flight (3)
1. Allows the unit to move unhindered across all terrain types
7. Leadership (4)
1. All units in the stack gain a combat bonus equal to the leader's level, if warlord.
2. All units in the stack gain a combat bonus of 1 for non-warlord.
3. Only purchasable by knights.
3. High-level Special (Cost 4)
1. Very Fast
1. Grants the unit +16 to move
2. Breath Weapon
1. Grants the unit +8 to attack
2. Cannot be used at range
1. Acid Breath: -3/-3 to combat stats before modifiers when hit
3. Rock Out
1. The unit gains a +8 to combat or defense
2. Requires warlord leadership (though the warlord need not have Rock Out, he will in that case not receive the bonus) or rock out capable knight leadership.
4. Simple -mancy
1. Grants the unit the ability to cast from a certain discipline as a level 1 caster of that discipline.
2. Units with a simple casting ability have 20 juice with which to cast and begin each turn with full juice.
1. Units with multiple simple casting abilities have 20 Juice per casting ability.
3. Units gain +5 juice each level per casting ability.
5. Scout Link
1. Unit's sight can be transmitted back to a commander from up to 6 hexes away.
1. The thinkamancy spell scout link extends this indefinitely.

Spell List: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dhnqc944_208dwxrqxft

Technology
A new feature which I implemented is technology. Only one new technology can be researched at once. The research fee is paid at the beginning of the research time. If research is interrupted and a new technology begins to be researched, progress is saved but the fee must be paid again when the technology is returned to.
Tech Tree:
Last edited by Ehbobo on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:06 am, edited 8 times in total.
Ehbobo

Re: War of the Arkentools

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Ooo-oooh, me-memememe!

I definitely want to join this, sounds like a cool concept at least in principle; I'm reading the details etc now and will PM you with side info etc.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Aha, I see no D-units on the list. Arken-related, I suppose.

What I do like is that turn costs are relatively paltry. I mentioned in a PM that I half-considered doing something like this myself, and the first idea was to cut the turn costs of everything to as little as possible. Particularly, say, Warlords. 8 turns is still a bit slow, imo (but nowhere near the 60 turns for an heir in the other game, which is borderline ridiculous considering our turn rate)*.

My idea also included starting with "city points" that you can allocate between several initial cities. Basically, the concept was "balance high": everybody starts powerful, then carnage ensues :twisted:

EDIT: *: yes, I know in the other game the turn cost for Warlords is 10, not 60 (that's heirs). Still, 10 turns- wee bit slow that for the one kind of unit that can initiate cities, resource points and so on.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Crovius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Oh, this does seem very interesting. Posting interest. I'll pm you a side profiel some time this week.
Crovius

Postby turbler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:54 pm

ungh... see well there's this problem with me, I can't seem to PM anyone. do you have an email I could send stuff to? Cause I wanna play this one too.
turbler

Postby Ehbobo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:58 pm

Wait, then how did you play Kaed's game? I'd prefer to keep it on here, so could you respond if I PM'ed you? If not, e-mail is fine.
Ehbobo

Postby Ehbobo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:13 pm

Looks like we've got one spot left. Any takers?
Ehbobo

Postby turbler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:31 pm

Kaed... hasn't sent me anything in a while. I don't think I've had to reply to him since the weird sorta problem emerged... I hafta go to bed... So any responses further will be made tomorrow.
turbler

Postby Azgrut » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:15 am

I do show interst in this. I am only unable to do loads of stuff in the weekends and I live in western Europe, which gives me a strange timezone.

I'll make a side right away.
Azgrut

Postby Azgrut » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:05 am

I do have a small question I only noticed now...

Doesn't heavy and burrowing kind of cancel eachother out? I mean, heavy gives 6 HP for the cost of 2 (instead of 4) but to make them able to go in tunnels you need to pay 4 points for burrowing. Which in fact makes the heavy special give 6 hp for 6 points...

I think the burrowing special cost should be reduced to 2 points. That way you can choose to make your heavy unit tunnel capable without it losing potency. (I mean, if you wanted a tank kind of unit, you could just put 6 points in hp instead... It will give you more HP in the end and not the other heavy penalties).

Another question. This time about the naval units. It says that unit B has 8 extra points. Does this mean he actually has 12 points? And unit A clearly said that no other specials could be bought. Does that also count for units B and C? Since I would kind of like to have some sort of Sea based animal mount creature as one of my naval units.

Maybe a rule like: "You can remove the vessel special. This allows your naval units to have other specials. A naval unit can not move on land unless you have given it the "Land capable" special."
Azgrut

Postby Crovius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:32 am

Az, just make a creature with Water Capable and Mount. That should solve that issue right there. The Ships are exactly that, ships. You want a mountable water unit, use your special units.

Personally I think we should have 1 more special unit type available to use, that's just my opinion.
Crovius

Postby The Black Hand » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:29 am

Hmm, now this has possibilities . . . is that one slot still open?
The strength of our future lies in our past.
-VNV Nation

There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare.
-Sun-tzu, The Art of War
The Black Hand

Postby Crovius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 am

Aw dang, I can't view the tech trees at work... :(
Crovius

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:01 pm

Azgrut wrote:I do have a small question I only noticed now...

Doesn't heavy and burrowing kind of cancel eachother out? I mean, heavy gives 6 HP for the cost of 2 (instead of 4) but to make them able to go in tunnels you need to pay 4 points for burrowing. Which in fact makes the heavy special give 6 hp for 6 points...

I think the burrowing special cost should be reduced to 2 points. That way you can choose to make your heavy unit tunnel capable without it losing potency. (I mean, if you wanted a tank kind of unit, you could just put 6 points in hp instead... It will give you more HP in the end and not the other heavy penalties).

That is a very good point. I'll do that.

Another question. This time about the naval units. It says that unit B has 8 extra points. Does this mean he actually has 12 points? And unit A clearly said that no other specials could be bought. Does that also count for units B and C? Since I would kind of like to have some sort of Sea based animal mount creature as one of my naval units.

Maybe a rule like: "You can remove the vessel special. This allows your naval units to have other specials. A naval unit can not move on land unless you have given it the "Land capable" special."

Crovius said it.

Crovius wrote:Az, just make a creature with Water Capable and Mount. That should solve that issue right there. The Ships are exactly that, ships. You want a mountable water unit, use your special units.

Personally I think we should have 1 more special unit type available to use, that's just my opinion.

Once you attune to your tool, you will gain an extra-powerful special unit. There's one exception to this, but it's worth it. If everybody else agrees, maybe you could have 2 B-Units?

The Black Hand wrote:Hmm, now this has possibilities . . . is that one slot still open?

Unfortunately this game is full. If two or three more people want to play, I can run two simultaneous games. Another option is if no solution can be found for turbler's PM'ing dilemma.
Ehbobo

Postby Crovius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm

2 B units does sound good. I alreayd sent my side's list, is what I proposed ok for my Warlords and Casters? I have no mounts so Rider seemed kinda pointless, and I added 60 to their upkeep cost when I added the minor -amancy special.
Crovius

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:43 pm

One second, to make this clear-

Special units A, B, and C use as basic stats 4Hits, 2 Combat and 2 Defense, right?

And while I'm at it, how many specials can I plop into a unit?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Crovius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:04 pm

Yes that sounds right for their base stats.

And I never saw any 'limit' to the number of specials, just a limit of what kind of specials. None of my guys have more than 4 specials I think. And then its mostly a handful of simple specials that flavour the unit the way I want it.
Crovius

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:52 pm

Exactly right.
Ehbobo

Postby turbler » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:47 pm

Ehbobo wrote:
The Black Hand wrote:Hmm, now this has possibilities . . . is that one slot still open?

Unfortunately this game is full. If two or three more people want to play, I can run two simultaneous games. Another option is if no solution can be found for turbler's PM'ing dilemma.
About that dilemma... it's still present as ever... maybe I could get your email? Also, what's the 'another option'?
turbler

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:02 pm

I just sent you a PM. Can you see it? More important, can you reply to it? If so, send me a confirmation message and then your side design. If you can't, email me at ehbobo14@gmail.com
Ehbobo

Next

Return to Your Games