Summer Updates - 001

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Updates - 001

Postby balder » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:03 am

Well, here it begins. For those of you who didn't know, we're going to be doing a series of text updates with a single illustration each over the summer of 2009, in preparation for the start of Book 2 sometime in the fall. These will happen at least twice a week, but we'll try for three, and they will cover the turns in between the Battle for Gobwin Knob and the start of Book 2 (working title "Erfworld: Love is a Battlefield") when things start getting interesting again.

Tools will have access to 1200 pixel versions of the illustrations.
balder

Re: Summer Updates - 001

Postby Justyn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:15 am

How very... British. Victorian, right?
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby 1hen2ducks » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 am

It's good to be a tool.
1hen2ducks
1hen2ducks
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby dekkerd » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:42 am

The working title? It works, keep it.

/we are young...
dekkerd

Postby cloudbreaker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:49 am

The description of rebuilding the city reminded me of a scene from V for Vendetta, but in reverse...
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby teratorn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:19 am

I suppose there is a moneymancy link between the overlord and the treasury.
There must be rules though for this kind of thing not to be done if there are enemies in
the battle zone.

So the tool is coming home, to a newly reformed city, a huge treasury and a very big army.
I wonder if the other known arkentool is closer than Charlie's. Ok, time for some speculation.
The lyrics from Love is a Battlefield have this bit

Do I stand in your way, or am I the best thing you've had?
Believe me, believe me, I can't tell you why
But I'm trapped by your love, and I'm chained to your side

Somehow I can not fit it with the obvious Wanda/Jillian/Ansom situation. It could fit the
Stanley-pliers-Wanda thing.
teratorn

Postby KBF » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:22 am

It's nice to have an update again but.. Reading it like a paragraph from a book spoils some of the magic, in my opinion.
KBF

Postby joosy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:27 am

KBF wrote:It's nice to have an update again but.. Reading it like a paragraph from a book spoils some of the magic, in my opinion.

I know- its bad enough that we have to actually read what they are saying and that its not fully animated for us. Using your imagination is so old-school.
joosy

Postby Sintar07 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:30 am

Another interesting thing learned about Erfworld. Rome can be built in a day. I bet it's pretty expensive to rebuild a capitol, though :) Also, I'm now curious, how do the rules for a style change work? Gobwin Knob used to have sort of a modern vibe, what with the air traffic control tower and all.

I disagree with TPAH. I don't think reading it as though from a book makes it any worse. I prefer the comic versions myself, but I can envision the scene well enough through description.

EDIT: actually, two posters above me. Somebody posted something sarcastic in between us.
Sintar07

Postby Dystopianman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:32 am

Interesting, is that a Level 1 Tower? Do all towers look like that at Level 1? Or are there other Level 1 towers a Overlord could choose from? Or even, is it based on his particular side? So many questions from this short update, like what type of interface did Stanley use to order the Tower constructed? He's still mounted and hexes away, whats his effective range to a city for setting build orders, or does he have unlimited range?

Heh, nice update guys, keep em coming!
You know me to be a simple man, Vinny. So explain this plan to me once more, in simple terms.
-Don King

QFT
Dystopianman

Postby redtophat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:42 am

I can't wait to see some interaction between the new Ansom and Stanley. Will Stanley berate him, or will he treat him as his new general? The Treasury is huge.
redtophat

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:46 am

Thanks to Maggie, I think his range is limitless.

They also had plenty of money to cover costs, thanks to the gems Sizemore found, so there's no real need to assume it's a level 1 tower.

Efdup looked "modern?" I get the Air Traffic thing, but it still looked kind of Bedrock-y. The new one, (while looking all turn-of-last-century) has a more constructed look.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby President_Allosaurus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:51 am

I find it most interesting that this is the scene we get to see of this happening: Nothing at all. It's just there. Ta-da! Like We might expect to be Parson. The first thing that he begins to work on, or pop, are those things that Erfworld requires or likes: the tower and the walls. It might be a concious decicion to make.

I wonder how Stanley will response? The Lord of the Tasties has come to his well-cooked home. I hope the next update has to do with his reaction to the pratognistic's success and his new resources- gems, army, and Warlords. I hope the next update hints at Parson.
President_Allosaurus

Postby Binty » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:12 am

If Erfworld uses a typical build system then the city must be build through the levels. Level 1 maybe 1 turn to build (i.e. instant from the PoV of Erfworlders). The other levels may take more turns to 'complete' after ordered.
Binty

Postby KBF » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:38 am

joosy wrote:
I know- its bad enough that we have to actually read what they are saying and that its not fully animated for us. Using your imagination is so old-school.

It's not that I don't like reading books. It's that compared to even compared to the klogs this update seemed.. Out of place. I think it's just me, but I would feel more comfortable if they were all arranged in a single panel with the image in a separate panel below. I don't know. Everything else we've received just seemed to fit in-world. Even the klogs were in an eyebook.

edit: yes I'm tired and not typing enough words for sense
KBF

Postby Kreistor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:07 am

KBF, work and burnout demand a paradigm shift. We can deal.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby jioan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:03 am

So now we know you can order to build things and create units from a distance.
jioan

Postby Lawence of Awabia » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 am

I wonder about the style change of the Tower, too. The door's still got sort of a bats & skulls motif, but the rest seems less...evil?

I wonder if it is just a matter of a lvl 1 tower vs whatever it was before Sizemore leveled it, or if it reflects a significant shift at Gobwin Knob....
Lawence of Awabia

Postby SteveMB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:31 am

Lawence of Awabia wrote:I wonder about the style change of the Tower, too. The door's still got sort of a bats & skulls motif, but the rest seems less...evil?

I dunno; the old one didn't seem particularly evil from the outside, which is all we've seen so far.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Rekov » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:01 am

Looks damn good to me. I like how it popped in a different style. So what affected the style change? Stanley? or was it random?
Rekov
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Next

Return to Reactions