Fall From Heaven 2: Read Along and Participate

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Fall From Heaven 2: Read Along and Participate

Postby Lord Kasavin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:51 am

Turns: 32-54

And the second city is built. Isn't it pretty? I named it Orgchart... seemed appropriate. My worker has finished with the Wineries and is now working on building a road to connect the two cities. I think my next Settler is just going to go South and found a city there. Consider it a stepping stone to invading Kuriotates once my economy is more advanced. Also lost a scouting Goblin to a Lion attack. These things happen.

However, I am more worried at the moment due to the arrival of Frostlings. They are a Barbarian unit which the Clan is NOT at peace. My cities are more than adequately defended, so I'm not worried about loosing ground. I am worried because it means the Illian civilization is in the game. They are basically a griefer nation. One of their powers is to summon Forstling Barbarians. Sooner or later the Illians will cast their world spell Stasis, and everyone else's (including mine) production, research, and economy will be frozen for around 20 turns. Eventually they will turn numerous productive Grassland and Plains tiles into the less productive Tundra tiles. I really, really dislike these guys.

"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:11 am

Orgchart? You should've named it Warchalking.
Ehbobo

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:16 pm

So ... is it possible to knock the icebarians out of the game, fast?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 pm

I doubt that it is. Chances are that the Illians are not very close by.
Ehbobo

Postby Lord Kasavin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:47 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:So ... is it possible to knock the icebarians out of the game, fast?

Not likely, there's something like a 50% chance we aren't even on the same continent, and since they tend to spawn near polar areas if he is on my continent he's at the other end. Also, I was wrong, I am at peace with the Frostlings. Which is surprising, since the Illians, who summon them, are not.

Edit: Ninja'ed, but Ehbobo has the right of it.

As for Orgchart vs. Warchalking... Warchalking was a level 1, and this site has the potential to be a pretty large and productive city.

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:42 pm

True, but I was thinking that Warchalking is closest to the capital, while I believe that Orgchart was originally Jetstone's or Unaroyal's and was captured by GK.
Ehbobo

Turn 54, or there abouts

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:37 am

And we now have three cities! I went ahead and tossed the new one in the spot to the south. However... it needs a name. Any suggestions?

Also, here's the city management screen for the capital. For the most part I let this automanage. However, its useful for those not familiar with Civ to look at. Basically, each level of population can work 1 tile for its resources. As you can see, the wineries are providing me with 3 food and 4 commerce. The city itself does not need to be worked and always provides 2 food, 1 hammer, and 1 commerce no matter what kind of tile its founded on. However, you might notice only 6 tiles (excluding the city itself) are being worked. Thats because I only have enough happiness for 6 population. Which means the 7th guy is "unhappy" and refuses to work. Unless a provide another luxury, let a religion into the city, build a theater, or something along those lines. It's a way to limit city growth. Gold is one such luxury, and I have a worker on the way to claim it with a mine.

Coming soon, I'll need to think about religion. Religions in FfH2 are a pretty big deal. There are 7 to choose from and they vary wildly. Each has its own unique units and benefits. Here's a teaser.

Lord Kasavin

Postby turbler » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:52 am

I'm split between Kilmorph, and Empyrian through teasers, I just got FfH2 yesterday, and so far I've been using RoK. but I've only been in one game. The OO are also quite interesting, after viewing some stuff in the 'pedia
Last edited by turbler on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
turbler

Postby The Black Hand » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:07 am

I'm torn between Ashen Veil and Octopus Overlords, myself.
The strength of our future lies in our past.
-VNV Nation

There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare.
-Sun-tzu, The Art of War
The Black Hand

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:29 am

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Iä, Iä, Cthulhu fhtagn!
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Crovius » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:46 am

The Black Hand wrote:I'm torn between Ashen Veil and Octopus Overlords, myself.

I too like how both of them look. Especially since we're an evil band of orcs. And if we go Ashen Veil it is totally expected that out warriors yell "FOR THE HORDE!" when entering battle.
Crovius

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:48 pm

Hey now, I still need a name for that city.

Regardless, I've played up to Turn 100, so I want to get up to speed.

Turn: 76

Arghh... Orthus the Barbarian King has just spawned. I don't know if CoE is at peace with him, but I hope so. He is basically an Overpowered Barbarian (6 strength) that can and will take your weakened cities. Whats worse, I know he spawned North of me. I'm going to have to reinforce Orgchart, which has two Warriors right now. He'll sack any city with one defender for sure. 2 defenders is a coin toss. 3.. should be safe. I hope.

Update: We're at Peace!

Turn: 79

Just finished researching Cartography, which means I can sign Open Border agreements with my neighbors. I went ahead and did so while they were willing. I now can move my militaries through their territory. More importantly, my cities may form trade routes with their cities resulting in more money. Don't worry, I can cancel an Open Border agreement at any time (though any units I have in his territory will be immediately kicked out, so no backstabing per se). Think of it as a way to get an early peak inside these guys' borders. My next research goals are Education, Bronze Working, and Warfare. Education is useful for research and the economy, while you guys can guess what Bronze Working and Warfare are useful for.

Turn: 85

No sign of Orthus yes. However, as my Goblins scout further south, I ran into another player, Calabim. They are a nation with a Vampire arisotracy that treats its serfs like human cattle. Not pleasant characters. However, they are led by Decius, who unlike the other two Calabim leaders is Neutral in alignment. I don't know why. Though I will say Vampires suck.

Turn: 97

Just discovered another Civilization, it is the Lanun. They are a nation of, well, Pirates essentially. They have a gazillion and one advantages in naval combat. Fortunately, their cities are on land! Open Border agreement signed.

Turn: 98

And another moment later I discover another one, and its just east of those Kuriotates goody two shoes. The Elohim see themselves as caretakers of the world, and thus are aligned "Good." They have numerous defensive advantages and make an ideal defensive Civ. One of these is their World Spell, Sanctuary. It prevents all hostile units from so much as entering their borders for a large number of turns, and all units already inside their borders are kicked out. Going to War with them is like trying to win a staring contest with a mirror. No matter how much or how little effort you exert, the outcome is always the same.

Now, enjoy these pictures.

Eagle Eye Viewpoint of the Nation

Everyone in a while, the game randomly showcases these rankings. The information is available in the scorecharts, but still its nice to get reminders. However, "wealth" rankings are nearly useless since it measures gold at hand, which can fluctuate wildly as in the early game its far more advantageous to devote commerce to research than building up a bullion reserve, and the ranking measures only the latter:

Here's the Kuriotates Capital. It's bigger than mine! Eh, thats how the Kuriotates operate. Their cities can work a lot more tiles, but they can only build a set number of them depending on map size.

Here's the Calabim Capital. Now they are doing so hot. Good thing they don't get dangerous until they can build Vampire Warriors.

Here's Orthus, he's just chilling out at a Ruin. Destroyer of Civilizations... not so much right now.

Lord Kasavin

Postby Ehbobo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Interesting... I suggest keeping good relations with Calabim and Lanun, while preparing for war with the Kuriotates. Leave Elohim alone, they seem like more trouble than they're worth.

Religion, I like The Ashen Veil best. It fits the side.

City name, I'm still holding out for Warchalking.

By using the world spell, can you get Orcus? For that matter, could you get the Frostlings too?
Ehbobo

Postby turbler » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:29 pm

from my limited knowledge, there's also a barbarian Dwagon, so if the worldspell can tame those types of unit, wait until both are out on the field.
turbler

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:44 pm

turbler wrote:from my limited knowledge, there's also a barbarian Dwagon, so if the worldspell can tame those types of unit, wait until both are out on the field.

There is Barbarian Dragon, Archereon, or something like that. Unfortunately, he won't be converted.

Here's a list of what For the Horde will Convert:
Lizardmen
Orcs
Goblins

It won't convert:
Undead
Animals
Barbarian Heroes (Of which Orthus and Archerous and others are included).

Lord Kasavin

Postby Daemonwelsh » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Warchalking...

And go after Kuriotates
Or the pirate dudes, get them out of the way and expand into the sea...
Daemonwelsh

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:34 pm

It has been way to long since I updated. I had a busy spell at work which required a lot of work brought home.

Unfortunately, as soon as my schedule has freed up my computer acts up. I think my GPU is on the fritz since the display has a ton of artifacts even during the boot screens. I can get windows to load, but inevitably the display driver fails and it BSDs. Anyway, I have my laptop (which is actually gaming capable as well, but doesn't have FfH installed and doesn't have the safe files regardless) to do internet stuff. I'm going to try to fix the desktop and then post an update. I don't know how long that will take.

Lord Kasavin

Postby Daemonwelsh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:54 pm

try running in safe mode, uploading your needed files somewhere, and doing a factory reset.
Should fix the proble, and then you just go back and re-install everything...

or switch to linux..
Daemonwelsh

Previous

Return to Your Games