Summer Updates - 001

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 001

Postby kin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:23 am

Big Ben-like Tower = British Imperialism?
+End Transmission+
kin

Postby Pentegarn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 am

I wonder what will happen next? I would speculate but I am one who likes to be taken along for the ride in a story.

Not at all surprised that cities simply pop up out of thin air. It fits seeing as how pretty much everything else in Erfworld (troops, food etc.) pops up out of thin air.
Was the dopest post I ever wrote... in '94
Pentegarn
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Vare » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 am

Nice update, I like reading it in text for a change. But I really can't wait to see some beautiful artworrk up again.

Also I'd be really happy if you guys can get 2/3 updates out a week, would be awesome~
Vare

Postby doran » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:07 am

Looking closely at the shadowed side of the tower, there is indeed something that looks rather like a sketched clock face, so this could indeed be originally modeled after Big Ben, or rather St Stephen's Clock Tower.

One thing I'm wondering is exactly how Stanley gave the order and who to, especially since he doesn't seem to be here yet. (No Dwagons in the sky)

EDIT: Updated to reflect Stanley is the Overlord, not Parson.
Last edited by doran on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby imgran » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:19 am

Overlord, not Warlord. Stanley still controls the budget.
imgran

Postby HandofShadows » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:34 am

Be interesting to see how things go when The Tool gets back. How much is Parson going to take from him? Also the STAIRS. The bane of Parson's life in Erfworld. Might make him loose some weight before the next book starts. :D
I get the feeling that this current mode of doing things is a way for Rob and Jamie to take things a little easier for awhile as they plan/rest up for Book 2 and so far I like it.
HandofShadows

Postby imgran » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:27 am

Maybe it's the slimming effect of his armor, but Parson does seem to be a bit sleeker by story's end.

Early Parson

Late Parson
imgran

Postby Goz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:47 am

I'm liking this version of things. It's like a Loreamancer is just reciting events. Almost as good as Parson's Klog!
I love myself, but it's unrequited.
Goz

Postby President_Allosaurus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:10 pm

I liked this update. It gave me the sense as if I were reading some kind of children's book, with simple sentences giving us short amounts of information and a little picture to spice up the scene. It also reminds me of the "Cutscenes" in Windwaker where the story was given mostly orally but with pictures in the background talking baout what happened- giving a sense of time passing.

(The Turns Passed: X) helps too)
President_Allosaurus

Postby Toolbreaker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Woot!! First of the summer updates.

I really like the new Tower of Efdup. I can see the shadow cast behind it onto the courtyard wall behind, but it appears to be closer to that wall rather than in the middle of the courtyard. I'm not certain of any defensive ramifications for this but if I were to try to attack the new Gobwin Knob and managed to breach the outer walls, then that would be my chosen point for attack to bring forces on that Tower as quickly as possible.

It's been pointed out by others and I too wonder how much choice Stanley had in picking the style for the re-built city? In games like Civilization III you have a choice of 4 or 5 different styles for you palace. Perhaps it's similar here.
Toolbreaker

Postby Darkside007 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:53 pm

KBF wrote:
joosy wrote:
I know- its bad enough that we have to actually read what they are saying and that its not fully animated for us. Using your imagination is so old-school.

It's not that I don't like reading books. It's that compared to even compared to the klogs this update seemed.. Out of place. I think it's just me, but I would feel more comfortable if they were all arranged in a single panel with the image in a separate panel below. I don't know. Everything else we've received just seemed to fit in-world. Even the klogs were in an eyebook.

edit: yes I'm tired and not typing enough words for sense

It also read like a newspost, like a summary of a comic or somesuch that someone would blog about, not the in-world perspective of the klogs, or even narration. There also was nothing really there; the entire newspost was "Stanely rebuilt the city." There's an element of "Well, yeah" at play here.

The comic has been really awesome and set high standards until now; I have to admit a large amount of disappointment.
Darkside007

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Hey, everybody look at the door of the new tower: It's not a mouth! This really is a decor change from Gobwin Knob 1.0!
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:21 pm

Darkside007 wrote:The comic has been really awesome and set high standards until now; I have to admit a large amount of disappointment.

That's because you were thinking of this like a new page, instead of what (I think) it's intended to be: teasers to keep you coming back until the next book begins. :)
MarbitChow

Postby Torrin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Personally I rather liked it.

It got me thinking about phase two while allowing me to have some inkling as to how the major players are reacting to the new state of affairs.

I look foward to the next installment as I have to all erfworld updates.
Torrin

Postby malekith » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:44 pm

kin wrote:Big Ben-like Tower = British Imperialism?

ahhh thank god im not the only one to see the significance (and doran as well, kin was first so he gets quoted :D). was hoping i wasn't the only British bod here ;)

Also I quite like the way it reads as well. i mean, ofc i'd have preferred a full strip/page but i understand that jamie and rob need a break and so do we - we dont want to get greedy now do we? - so im grateful for this and the complete change.

M
malekith

Postby Occasional Sage » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Summer Updates - 001 wrote:It had been as ridiculous as everything else in Erfworld, rebuilding the city. The Overlord ordered it, the treasury was debited, and the city was instantly recreated. It was only Moneymancy.

OK, so the casual last line caught me. Even if it wasn't intended as a Chekhov's Gun, it got me thinking about uses for Moneymancy that would never be slapped with a diminutive like that.

Could a Thinkamancer-Foolamancer-Moneymancer link provide false building orders to another side?
Avatar courtesy of Dr. Bath of GitP!
Occasional Sage

Postby Spock » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Occasional Sage wrote:Could a Thinkamancer-Foolamancer-Moneymancer link provide false building orders to another side?

that would be cool, and horrible at the same time. having played games like this on the PC for years (heroes of might and magic, Civilization, etc) that would so screw me up. "why did this town build That? i didn't order that... i don't use Use those.....".

i think a better use of the Think-Fool-Math mancer trio would be to steal money from another side and oposition not realize it until they tried to use the missing money.
Spock

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:55 pm

Or just "printing" bogus currency
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Darkside007 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:47 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Darkside007 wrote:The comic has been really awesome and set high standards until now; I have to admit a large amount of disappointment.

That's because you were thinking of this like a new page, instead of what (I think) it's intended to be: teasers to keep you coming back until the next book begins. :)

Um, well, you see, that's actually completely and totally wrong.

That was not what I was thinking and this was not a teaser.
Darkside007

Postby jioan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Darkside007 wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:

Um, well, you see, that's actually completely and totally wrong.

That was not what I was thinking and this was not a teaser.

Then what were you thinking?
jioan

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions