Summer Updates - 002

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 002

Postby HandofShadows » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:54 am

gameboy1234 wrote:Yes I like the descriptions a lot also. Seems less ambiguous some how than some of the strips. "Six dwagons," eh? Big big loses there.

Imperialistic Chinese... didn't FAQ have a similar architecture?

Faq was more Japanese than anything. Interesting to see such a clash of styles. Big Ben on the outside, Imperial Chinese on the inside. Maybe not so strange. Both England and China have had huge empires. I hope all the Stanley in Profile artwork will not be around to long though. It will get irritation after awhile. And Parsons has a Corner Office! :D
HandofShadows

Postby 64bitrobot » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:35 am

Occasional Sage wrote:Any chance that we'll be able to see the new Gobwin Knob in its entirety? It sounds beautiful and impressive, and a shot of it (sans characters) would make a great desktop or even wall art.

Jamie? Bitte?

I would become a tool for this background.

I've been reading since it started up. This is a great story that's being told.

I'm just new, feel free to ignore me. I don't even have a forum account for Order of the stick.
64bitrobot

Postby Aris Katsaris » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 am

The colors of the dragons returning is inconsistent... In #116 we saw 2 greens, 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 blue. That leaves only one position open, and in #144 we see it clearly as a purple dragon.
But now the text talks about 2 reds, and 1 green: Too many reds, too few greens.

I know it's just a silly nitpick, but I'd prefer it if either the text or the colors were corrected for the purposes of consistency...

(As a sidenote the total number of dragons is 7, since one more (blue I think) popped into existence, but I'm assuming the text only refers to the dragons Stanley returned with, not the total number of dragons)
Aris Katsaris

Postby Althor Enchantor » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:37 am

The whole Chinese Imperial thing just got me thinking about "Mandate of Heaven". Definitely a parallel there: the idea that those destined to rule are not necessarily the sons and daughters of rulers, but whoever is chosen to rule by the Will of Heaven.
Althor Enchantor

Postby Grunthos » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:52 am

Stanley the Tool as Mao Zedong. That... is a twisted inspiration.
Grunthos

Postby Toolbreaker » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:03 pm

Is it Moneymancy / Schmuckers alone that defines a cities level? From a porous level 1 city in the tunnels to a smoking crater to a level 5 (8 with bonuses) city with just a thought from Stanley. Once again the "hardest defensive position in the world".

Nice update. I really like the art style.
Toolbreaker

Postby seans23 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:55 pm

Aris Katsaris wrote:(As a sidenote the total number of dragons is 7, since one more (blue I think) popped into existence, but I'm assuming the text only refers to the dragons Stanley returned with, not the total number of dragons)

This is covered in the third paragraph:

Summer Updates - 002 wrote:From the tower office, he watched the new armored blue join the incoming stack with a joyful roar.
seans23
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby redtophat » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:47 pm

These summer updates remind me of how much a comic can change its style while giving the same story.
redtophat

Postby Thydron » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:20 pm

gotta say the omniscient narrative viewpoint is really starting to grow on me - having a much longer piece of text definitely helped.
Thydron
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Darkside007 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Binty wrote:So buildings pop at a particular level on the turn they are ordered. Still unclear if buildings can be upgraded.

Only in the same sense that it's unclear if buildings can fly; there is no evidence of either at all.

002 is win.

I like how the update points out how the old Knob was more of a bunker than a castle, too.
Last edited by Darkside007 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkside007

Postby Darkside007 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:37 pm

redtophat wrote:These summer updates remind me of how much a comic can change its style while giving the same story.

I wouldn't call these updates a comic, though.
Darkside007

Postby Ichthus » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:05 pm

Darkside007 wrote:
redtophat wrote:These summer updates remind me of how much a comic can change its style while giving the same story.

I wouldn't call these updates a comic, though.

Agreed. We're getting exposition in a serial format that happens to be pretty neat. However, it is still just exposition for book two.
Ichthus

Postby teratorn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Aris Katsaris wrote:I know it's just a silly nitpick, but I'd prefer it if either the text or the colors were corrected for the purposes of consistency...

Not silly, it's a good catch. We need a blooper thread in this forum.
teratorn

Postby Anton Gaist » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm thinking, what new heavy units will Stanley be able to deploy now that Gobwin Knob has a gate?

Loved the update, and I also agree the new Gobwin Knob would make one awesome wallpaper!
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:16 pm

Darkside007 wrote:
Binty wrote:So buildings pop at a particular level on the turn they are ordered. Still unclear if buildings can be upgraded.

Only in the same sense that it's unclear if buildings can fly; there is no evidence of either at all.

002 is win.

I like how the update points out how the old Knob was more of a bunker than a castle, too.

Interesting POV. From a physical standpoint, the walls got more bunkerish (shorter but thicker). I presume you mean adding the gate etc.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby kreszantas » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:31 pm

The point I find interesting from the update is this: "Stanley was taking his time surveying things"... Is this the same Stanley that we read in Book 1? :lol: Nah, it can't be... when did he do such a thing when he was IN GK, I do not recall him doing it, now he DID have a reflective nature about him once he was out on the lamb. Could this be signifying a "change" in the Tool as we known him? Does the new motif signifies the change? It also could have been the style of lego blocks ready to be popped on the next order, not dependant on the side.
Huh? What was that sound, oh nevermind it was nothing.
kreszantas

Postby elrod13 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks for the Updates! This is a great addition to the story. It will keep MY interest up. I'm looking for the story to continue to develop.
elrod13

Postby SteveMB » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:41 pm

kreszantas wrote:The point I find interesting from the update is this: "Stanley was taking his time surveying things"... Is this the same Stanley that we read in Book 1? :lol: Nah, it can't be... when did he do such a thing when he was IN GK, I do not recall him doing it, now he DID have a reflective nature about him once he was out on the lamb. Could this be signifying a "change" in the Tool as we known him? Does the new motif signifies the change? It also could have been the style of lego blocks ready to be popped on the next order, not dependant on the side.

Stanley already knew how the city used to look (he may have been popped with the knowledge, which would still apply if GK didn't change much from then until just recently), so why would he need to take his time surveying things? Now, it's different, and he wants to familiarize himself with it (and, probably, bask in his victory a bit).
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Anton Gaist » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:06 am

I'm thinking the old GK was the same as what Saline left behind after his, uhm, untimely demise. Maybe then this is what Stanley would have wanted for his capital city. So my guess is this style is a reflection on Stanley's personality.

Mandate of Heaven, indeed.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby teratorn » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:21 am

One thing we haven't been told but I'd like to know, is about the cost. Was it cheaper than the perfect warlord spell?
teratorn

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions