Magic Stones

Your fan art, demotivators, cartoons, animations, lolcats or whatever other images you want to show off.

Magic Stones

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:54 am

Just following through on an idea I had a while ago.

Life

Motion

Matter
Takeoff every Sig. You know what you do.
AllPurposeNerd

Re: Magic Stones

Postby Sinrus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:14 am

Now you need to do Erf Numbers and Fate
Sinrus

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Yeah, that was my first thought. My only issue is that the axes don't visually present themselves as obviously as the elements do.

I am working on it, though.
AllPurposeNerd

Postby doran » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Hexagon for Erf, Infinity symbol for Numbers, Hourglass for fate?
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:19 am

doran wrote:Hexagon for Erf, Infinity symbol for Numbers, Hourglass for fate?

Ehh...

The infinity symbol pretty much is an hourglass on it's side. And if those two are already the same shape, then Erf should try to be another variation of that shape.

Maybe I've gone about this wrong. Maybe the elements should be colorless synbols and the axes should be the colors.
AllPurposeNerd

Postby Raza » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:52 pm

Elegant. Good job!

AllPurposeNerd wrote:
doran wrote:Hexagon for Erf, Infinity symbol for Numbers, Hourglass for fate?

Ehh...

The infinity symbol pretty much is an hourglass on it's side. And if those two are already the same shape, then Erf should try to be another variation of that shape.

Agreed. I like your aesthetic sensibilities.

I liked the hourglass for fate least of the three anyway, though.

Maybe three horizontal lines for fate, starting in the same position on the left and showing a symbolic few seismograph-like movements (without intersecting, for clarity) before ending at different distances to the right?

AllPurposeNerd wrote:Maybe I've gone about this wrong. Maybe the elements should be colorless synbols and the axes should be the colors.

Good option, but I don't see how you'd connect an axis to a color in any way better than randomly. Also, while symbol/color combinations have the advantage of being representable in a single graphic, if anything axis should have symbols and elements colors because a school of magic can use multiple elements but is only ever aligned to one axis, and representing multiple colors can easily and understandibly be done by blending.
Raza

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:19 am

Fate should be a wheel.

Numbers should be an abacus.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby elmagnifico » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:54 am

Or numbers could be a pound sign.

#
elmagnifico

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:52 am

Pound sign... maybe that could seed the joke. Pound sign for numbers, asterisk for erf, at symbol for fate.
AllPurposeNerd

Postby kriss » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 pm

AllPurposeNerd wrote:Pound sign... maybe that could seed the joke. Pound sign for numbers, asterisk for erf, at symbol for fate.

Yes, or you could always use the proud ampersand for fate as it is extreamly regal. For those that don't know, this is an ampersand: &

But still, I like the infinity and hexagon ideas, though I'd make infinity the fate. For numbers i'd have (+/-), just complete the circle. A sort of yin-yang deal as it's the most neutral, the Erf dealing with nature (hence the hexagon, a common natural number being six and its derivatives), and Fate dealing with the imortal (who have INFINATE existance), the Numbers is the impersonal, natural tendency of man to catagorize and sort, does it go in the plus or the minus? A merchants scale also works well.
I think therefore I am. This leaves you in a bad spot.

Army inteligence is sadly an oximoron these days. And no General, I did not just call you a cow.

I cut myself shaving with Occam's razor.
kriss

Postby haviel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Browsing through the character map I think I found my personal favorates for Erf, Numbers and Fate.

Numbers
#
Erf

Fate
Ѻ

Other possiblities for Erf: Ͽ or a hexigram.

Numbers: ±

Fate: Ϫ, , Ϯ, Ω, *

Unicode is fun!
haviel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby SteveMB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Hmmm... the hex seems to be the best fit for Erf (since the hex grid is an inherent feature of Erfworld). The other two are harder -- even some of the more promising suggestions so far just don't seem quite right to me. The real-world number (or plus-and-minus) sign strikes me as a bit arbitrary, and a cyclic metaphor for Fate doesn't mesh with what little we know (e.g. "City of Heroes") about Erfworld beliefs about their ultimate destiny.

Edit: A stylized sword for Fate rings a bit more true, and fits the dark overtones of units seemingly having no ultimate purpose but to carry on warfare.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Numbers: { }

Reason: (If I remember my abstract algebra correctly) Bracers form a set. The empty set is shown as "{ }", which represents zero. You can use just the empty set to build up a logical representation of the ordinal number system, although the proof escapes me (it was 20 years ago, after all). The entire foundation of mathematics can be built and proven with set theory, without ever using real numbers. Sets are the 'essence' of numbers.

... Well, it would probably make sense to a Mathemancer, anyway...
MarbitChow

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:53 pm

I stil have not figured out how to upload pictures. :(

Fate, a pair of shears with a cord between the blades. Borrowing from Greek mythology.

Erf, A hexagon or hexagonal array.

Numbers, a number line or Cartesian coordinate axes.

You could combine them with allpurposenerd's stones by using the axes to frame the elements.

Also for the elements I think there should be a second set of not-symbols. On Parson's chart naughtymancy has X's in motion and matter but it makes just as much sense to call that "not-life".

Some possibilities:

Not-life, skull and crossbones
Not-motion, an "X". or maybe >|<
Not matter, an eye.

I had always thought of Wanda's symbol as a skull with a pink flower. It could also be bow made out of pink ribbon.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby Brewdude » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:21 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Numbers: { }

Reason: (If I remember my abstract algebra correctly) Bracers form a set. The empty set is shown as "{ }", which represents zero. You can use just the empty set to build up a logical representation of the ordinal number system, although the proof escapes me (it was 20 years ago, after all). The entire foundation of mathematics can be built and proven with set theory, without ever using real numbers. Sets are the 'essence' of numbers.

... Well, it would probably make sense to a Mathemancer, anyway...

As a Mathemancer, it's my duty to inform you that {} does not, in fact, represent zero, it represents an empty set, which is a set that does not contain anything; and is different than {0}, which is a set containing zero; 0, which is a non negative integer with the value of zero; and {null}, which contains a single item with the interesting property of not necessarily matching anything, even itself.

This has been your discrete math infobite of the day.
Brewdude

Return to Art and Images