Parson's Level

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Parson's Level

Postby Therosfire » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:44 pm

I couldn't find anything related to this by searching so forgive me if I missed it and brought it up again here.

Comment made by Tool seem to indicate that Warlords get exp by being in the stack when it fights, and does not retreat from combat. Given that Gobwin Knob consists of multiple zones but counts as a single hex for the purpose of movement, does that mean Parson gained exp for each instance of combat in the city? Or just combat he participated in himself. I'm asking because logic would assume only the ones he personally fights in, but as chief warlord his bonus goes to everyone and he directs combat.

Has any mention been made on Parson earning experience during the battle or am I just being overly hopeful in wanting him to go up in stats?
Therosfire

Re: Parson's Level

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Therosfire wrote:Has any mention been made on Parson earning experience during the battle or am I just being overly hopeful in wanting him to go up in stats?

Other than the FoxMUD weiner-rammer, I don't remember Parson seeing any direct action. I'm pretty sure you don't get XP as Chief Warlord just for combat that takes place in your hex, otherwise it would be incredibly easy to level warlords.

But more importantly, Parson's not from Erfworld - he doesn't appear to even have stats, so odds are he also doesn't have levels. He gains experience like we do - through experiencing things. :D
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby gameboy1234 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:29 pm

Parson's a level 2 warlord, the same as his troop bonus, now that I think about it.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0084.html
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Darkside007 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:41 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Therosfire wrote:Has any mention been made on Parson earning experience during the battle or am I just being overly hopeful in wanting him to go up in stats?

Other than the FoxMUD weiner-rammer, I don't remember Parson seeing any direct action. I'm pretty sure you don't get XP as Chief Warlord just for combat that takes place in your hex, otherwise it would be incredibly easy to level warlords.

But more importantly, Parson's not from Erfworld - he doesn't appear to even have stats, so odds are he also doesn't have levels. He gains experience like we do - through experiencing things. :D

He does have stats, they just can't be seen.

As for it being easy to level warlords, they do generally seem to be the highest-level units in play at any given time.
Darkside007

Postby Duckman » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:57 pm

I guess we'll just have to wait until we are told again the new bonus Parson gives his troops. If it's still a 2, then he didn't level, and more likely Marbitchow is right, and cannot level in the traditional way.
If it's three or more, Parson is becoming a "unit" in the more traditional way. This seems to go against his "I'm not a tool, I'm a player" speech, though.
Duckman

Postby Mikalyaran » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:31 am

Darkside007 wrote:As for it being easy to level warlords, they do generally seem to be the highest-level units in play at any given time.

Do we have any proof of that? If I overlooked it please point me to it. Aside from finding out at the end of the battle that Ansom was level 10 I don't recall ever finding out the level of a warlord besides Parson.
Mikalyaran
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:07 am

Mikalyaran wrote:
Darkside007 wrote:As for it being easy to level warlords, they do generally seem to be the highest-level units in play at any given time.

Do we have any proof of that? If I overlooked it please point me to it. Aside from finding out at the end of the battle that Ansom was level 10 I don't recall ever finding out the level of a warlord besides Parson.

Jillian was a 9, Webinar a 5, and Dora a 2. AFAIK we don't know any other named character's level.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Darkside007 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:45 am

Mikalyaran wrote:

Jillian gives the levels of all the warlords in her group when hunting for the dwagons. Vinnie is also fairly high-level, and Caesar clearly surpasses him. The other warlords in Caesar's group go toe-to-toe with dwagon-mounted Knights, and Stanley is obviously high-level as well.
Darkside007

Postby osmium » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Although by the same token, there is no rule saying Parson isn't partially interacting with the system. I mean clearly magic worked as intended on him... And although it's not clear that him getting tired by going up the stairs indicated low 'move' left... it could be the case. Perhaps his stats are just less "hard coded" than other units, and much in accordance with how humans actually function can change with status. For instance losing 'move' when losing 'hits'. Or losing 'attack' as a function of remaining 'move'. etc etc. I see no reason why, once the system has assigned a level to Parson that it wouldn't be capable up raising the level... although certainly having his level change in accordance with criteria other than XP does seem to fit with the whole theme of not knowing precisely how Parson interacts with Erfworld...
-O
osmium

Postby Yucca » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Other than the FoxMUD weiner-rammer, I don't remember Parson seeing any direct action. I'm pretty sure you don't get XP as Chief Warlord just for combat that takes place in your hex, otherwise it would be incredibly easy to level warlords.

Not necessarily. Maybe a regular warlord needs to be in the stack that's doing the damage, but it would make sense (from a flavor perspective) to allow the chief warlord to get exp from being in the same hex. A reduced amount maybe. Or maybe a chief warlord need a significantly huger amount of exp for a level. I wouldn't see this a being too powerful as you can only have one chief warlord, it apparently takes a lot of money to promote a new one, and except when defending a city being in the hex probably means being in the action.

So Parson may have been gaining levels. After all, he one-shotted the rammer, something that was probably out of his capabilities at the beginning.
--
Yucca
Yucca

Postby Bobby Archer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Yucca wrote:After all, he one-shotted the rammer, something that was probably out of his capabilities at the beginning.

You'd also have to keep the sword in mind. It explicitly gave Parson combat bonuses.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Lothmar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:27 pm

We also have to remember that any stack that has a warlord can be directed in battle, so warlords are the most likely to survive since they can have everyone else shield them by stalling opponents and taking hits or rally against the biggest threat, etc.

Kind of like how Jillian had all the fliers buy her time to solo the blue dragon. True that's a bad example since she didnt actually 'escape' in the sense that im refering to.
Lothmar

Postby Occasional Sage » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:36 am

This is one of those correlation/causation things. Are they high level because they are warlords (hence easy to level), or are they warlords because they are high level (and were thus promoted)?
Avatar courtesy of Dr. Bath of GitP!
Occasional Sage

Postby Bobby Archer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:47 am

Occasional Sage wrote:

This is one of those correlation/causation things. Are they high level because they are warlords (hence easy to level), or are they warlords because they are high level (and were thus promoted)?

Promoting a piker to a warlord (taking the example of Stanley) seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. The fact that Stanley seemed to be intent on getting all his warlords that way is probably more related to that being how he got the job than from any sound tactical doctrine.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Return to Everything Else Erfworld