Summer Updates - 002

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 002

Postby cloudbreaker » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:33 am

Anton Gaist wrote:I'm thinking, what new heavy units will Stanley be able to deploy now that Gobwin Knob has a gate?

I have also been wondering this. The text certainly seems to imply that he could have popped other types of heavy units before, but chose not to since they wouldn't be able to leave the city. Also, whatever the other unit types may be most likely can't fly or go through tunnels, obviously. I'm personally hoping we get to find out soon. And I hope they are something cool like hydras or giant jackalopes or something. (Also, I hope Sizemore can make lava golems now that they have a lava lake. :P )

A couple other things I have been wondering that I hope will be cleared up, despite how minor they may be:
1. Does Parson know that he was called a hippiemancer?
2. Were any of the healers decrypted and can they still heal? (also, were any gumps decrypted frome one of the out-of-city zones? Because I think that would be awesome. :P )
3. Since the only gobwins/hobgobwins that seemed to survive the eruption were one or two that were with Stanley, will he bother to uphold their alliance?
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Morthe » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:30 am

I find it strange that there are windows where the floor is supposed to be. Interesting architectamancy.
Morthe
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Frogpop » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:20 am

You see that done in the real world sometimes when older buildings with very tall windows (clock towers, customs houses, and churches/cathedrals) are gutted and repurposed for modern uses (offices, apartments, or restaurants). The lower third of those windows are still used as windows in the floor underneath the penthouse office space.

Here's a link an exterior picture of Christ Church Tower in London. The church building itself was bombed during the blitz and is now a garden. The tower is still intact and was recently converted into an 11 floor apartment. As you can see in this floorplan floors 8 and 9 both share the windows that are halfway up the tower. Also here.
Frogpop
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby raphfrk » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:22 am

teratorn wrote:One thing we haven't been told but I'd like to know, is about the cost. Was it cheaper than the perfect warlord spell?

If he hasn't spent any gems, then he only had around 150k Schmuckers left. Sizemore says that they are millions worth of gems, but it would probably take him more than 1 turn to mine a large potion of them, so Stanley still probably only has 150-200k or so.

If that is around what it cost to rebuild, then he was right to have Wanda cast the summoning spells, as otherwise he wouldn't have had any money left to rebuild.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ichthus » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:26 am

raphfrk wrote:
teratorn wrote:One thing we haven't been told but I'd like to know, is about the cost. Was it cheaper than the perfect warlord spell?

If he hasn't spent any gems, then he only had around 150k Schmuckers left. Sizemore says that they are millions worth of gems, but it would probably take him more than 1 turn to mine a large potion of them, so Stanley still probably only has 150-200k or so.

If that is around what it cost to rebuild, then he was right to have Wanda cast the summoning spells, as otherwise he wouldn't have had any money left to rebuild.

However, remember that a warlord or caster can directly convert gems into schmuckers for the treasury. That's per Rob.
Ichthus

Postby raphfrk » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:27 am

Ichthus wrote:However, remember that a warlord or caster can directly convert gems into schmuckers for the treasury. That's per Rob.

Right, but presumably, Sizemore has to mine them first. If there is say 10 million schmuckers worth of gems (and this is considered a massive amount), is it reasonable that Sizemore can mine more than say 100k per turn? With a rate of 100k per turn, he would mine out the new deposits in 100 turns. This seems pretty fast as it is implied that he spent quite a long time mining out the original reserves.

Assuming 100k per turn, then the mines wouldn't have added much to Stanley's total, the cost of the city would still be in the 200-300k range.

OTOH, maybe he could mine 500k for the first turn because he just has to pick them up from the surface, but the rest of the gems will actually require real mines.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Xondoure » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Wow. very dramatic, it looks like Parson is in for an even bigger slaughter this fall... I LOVE IT! :twisted:
For all those about to do something with those messed up things we call lives... I salute you.

An army of space cows have come to destroy the earth after jumping over the moon!
...Why doesn't anyone believe me?
Xondoure

Postby gameboy1234 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:44 pm

raphfrk wrote:OTOH, maybe he could mine 500k for the first turn because he just has to pick them up from the surface, but the rest of the gems will actually require real mines.

This is exactly what I think. Sizemore says he tried to bring as many of the gems as he could to the surface during the eruption as he could manage. So there's a one-time surge of money for Gobwin Knob to rebuild with. After that it's back to regular old mining.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Occasional Sage » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Darkside007 wrote:I wouldn't call these updates a comic, though.

Whatever you would call them, are you liking what is being done with them more? Now that we have two, there's a better sense of how they're going to be used I think.
Avatar courtesy of Dr. Bath of GitP!
Occasional Sage

Postby Leibowitz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Absolutely brilliant, this text passages are the perfect supplement to the comic. I would really like more of those in the regular updates as well. Say, every third or so update could be text-based...
Leibowitz

Postby Darkside007 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:39 pm

Occasional Sage wrote:
Darkside007 wrote:I wouldn't call these updates a comic, though.

Whatever you would call them, are you liking what is being done with them more? Now that we have two, there's a better sense of how they're going to be used I think.

002 is exactly what I thought it would be.
Darkside007

Postby Goshen » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:15 pm

My guess is that Stanley got a nicer city than the last one, because he paid maximum price.

I'm just waiting to see how much of the credit he claims for all this.
Goshen

Postby Doctor Grumpus » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:33 pm

The art on the wall of the Tool reminds me of the Russian Stalinist-era mosaics, often found in factories and government buildings.

Accidental or purposeful?
Doctor Grumpus
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby SteveMB » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Doctor Grumpus wrote:The art on the wall of the Tool reminds me of the Russian Stalinist-era mosaics, often found in factories and government buildings.

Accidental or purposeful?

So maybe the fourth Arkentool is the Arkensickle?
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:59 am

Anton Gaist wrote:I'm thinking, what new heavy units will Stanley be able to deploy now that Gobwin Knob has a gate?

What about the wiener rammers they just decrypted? I don't think GK will ever produce something else than dwagons (and maybe an occasional warlord). Those units can be produced in smaller cities.

I wonder what Stanley is thinking. The old Gobwin Knob was the place where he popped, became warlord and finally overlord. That place is gone forever. On the other side, he got a brand new city, that (maybe) fits his needs and wants more. A unanswered question until one of the next updates.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby SteveMB » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:56 am

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:

What about the wiener rammers they just decrypted? I don't think GK will ever produce something else than dwagons (and maybe an occasional warlord). Those units can be produced in smaller cities.

Er... what smaller cities? Presumably he intends to (at least) reconquer the cities he lost earlier, but first he needs to build an army that can do that. Enough dwagons would do the job -- he conquered Faq and re-took Gobwin Knob from the gobwins with basically a force of dwagons -- but right now he only has seven, and that probably isn't anywhere near enough. Building some siege units (now that he can literally get them out the door) might be what he has in mind.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:29 am

SteveMB wrote:Er... what smaller cities?

The hypothetical cities he will conquer/rebuild the next time.

And he doesn't need a army, he just got the decryted units. This includes at least the wiener rammer units, maybe some other kinds of siege. Stnaley has 7 dwagons, at least 3 archons and his KISS squad, the latter with dance fight abilities That alone is a respectable force and should be able to take a weakly defended outpost. Combined with the ground forces (and a certain level 10 warlord) Stanley should be able to retake a good amount of cities.

Welf von Ehrwald

Postby SteveMB » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:

And he doesn't need a army, he just got the decryted units. This includes at least the wiener rammer units, maybe some other kinds of siege. Stnaley has 7 dwagons, at least 3 archons and his KISS squad, the latter with dance fight abilities That alone is a respectable force and should be able to take a weakly defended outpost. Combined with the ground forces (and a certain level 10 warlord) Stanley should be able to retake a good amount of cities.

The Coalition's heavy siege units are unlikely to be decryptable; they were distressingly... flammable.
SteveMB

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:42 am

SteveMB wrote:
Welf von Ehrwald wrote:

The Coalition's heavy siege units are unlikely to be decryptable; they were distressingly... flammable.

Everything in immediate vicinity of an exploding Vulcan is distressingly flammable. But admittedly we don't know if the coalition had any heavy sieges that weren't golems, and I don't believe the arkenpliers can decrypt constructs. But for smaller cities even light sieges should be sufficient. And the shier number should overwhelm every small garrison. We saw that a wall can be attacked by men with shovels and picks.

Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Lemarc » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:52 pm

HandofShadows wrote:Faq was more Japanese than anything. Interesting to see such a clash of styles. Big Ben on the outside, Imperial Chinese on the inside. Maybe not so strange. Both England and China have had huge empires. I hope all the Stanley in Profile artwork will not be around to long though. It will get irritation after awhile. And Parsons has a Corner Office! :D

I'm guessing it's Stanley's office, since it appears to take up most of the top floor of the tower.
Lemarc

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions