Summer Updates - 003

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Updates - 003

Postby Pebot » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:25 am

Since I'm bored at waiting for someone else to start a comment the latest Summer Update.

So why is the infantry look pink ? Was it from the decrypt pink glow... or something else. hmmm
Last edited by Pebot on Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pebot

Re: Summer Update - 003

Postby Occasional Sage » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:39 am

Stanley is learning? He's making an effort to gain loyalty, and...?! I'm more than a bit creeped out by this development.
Avatar courtesy of Dr. Bath of GitP!
Occasional Sage

Postby BarGamer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:50 am

From Stanley's comments, he didn't create the city on a conscious level. Perhaps Wanda and Parson are giving input?
Idly imagines Parson as "Jet Li, Hero," making Inigo Montoya stabbing gestures at Stanley, future ruler of all China- I mean, Erf. ^_^

[strike]I wonder why the Hi-Res Archive hasn't shown the new illustration yet? *Kick?*[/strike]

EDIT: Ok, it's up now.
Last edited by BarGamer on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:54 am

The one who did toilet duty... Sideways! Great, but it's the next one I really want
to see. Will the hammer get along with the pliers?
teratorn

Postby ripple » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:06 am

Pebot wrote:So why is the infantry look pink ? Was it from the decrypt pink glow... or something else. hmmm

I was thinking that there would be pink on the decrypted Archons who were in dance fighting (poodle skirt) gear. That would be a key development that the Tool missed, and it would be inconsistent with his expectations of the uniforms for his troops...

But when I go back to that page, the poodle skirts aren't pink any more...so, heck if I know. Guess we'll find out...

--ripple
ripple
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Re: Summer Updates - 003

Postby Frogpop » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:24 am

I think you're reading too hard into the pink thing. It's just the flower blossom sometimes shown on Wanda's skull emblem. You can see it on panel 6. Also in the last panel here. The weinerammer in frame 8 has pink horns now too.
Frogpop
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:26 am

I see trebuchets! Crude, low-power trebuchets, granted, but trebuchets nevertheless. Thank you, Jamie/Rob/whoever decided to put those in. You make me happy.

One thing, though. If the old GK didn't have a gate, why did it have a road leading up to it?
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby Engy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:43 am

Arkenputtyknife wrote:I see trebuchets! Crude, low-power trebuchets, granted, but trebuchets nevertheless. Thank you, Jamie/Rob/whoever decided to put those in. You make me happy.

One thing, though. If the old GK didn't have a gate, why did it have a road leading up to it?

Because the troops that came out of the tunnels used the road to march out of GK I'd bet.

Anyone else on pins and needles waiting for the Tool's response to Ansom?
I'm not an Eskimo!
Engy
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby The Old Hack » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:57 am

"He was trying to get better about names." I LOVE IT! :D
The Old Hack
Tool + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 am

he seems excited about having ansom as a minion. i wonder if he thinks he can use ansom and put parson on toilet duty
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Killer Angel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:10 am

It's interesting to see finally what is thinkin Stanley!
And it's a pity we can't "see" the confront between Stanley and the new Ansom...

I've a doubt...
The Tool seems surprised by the new city: still, for rebuilding the city, it must be the Overlord that orders the payment from the treasury.
So, was Maggie that asked Stanley (at the beginning of the turn, before the movement) to give such an order? It seems strange that one like him, accept to give such an order without seeing before the place.
English is not my native language: sometimes my grammar will be wrong, and sometimes I can even seem dumb (so, give me a chance); it's never an excuse to be a jerk.
Killer Angel

Postby konmanrocks » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:29 am

i love his new logo, looks very soviet-ish
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sintar07 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:25 am

I think this update actually revealed something very interesting about Stanley. It points out that he refused to have a logo because they were royalist. Apparently, he didn't want to assosciate himself with the royals. Of course, he also likes the new emblem, so he's apparently not a very strong idealist, but it's still quite a big thing coming from him.
Beware the Borg Tribbles!!
Sintar07

Postby jioan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:18 am

The pink I think is from the glow wanda gives some of the creatures she decrypts and how they get recolored to a black and red color scheme.
jioan

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:34 am

Wild guessing: Maybe Stanley is royal now by titanic decree?

There seem to be a lot of fate (or random) involved with the creation of units and buildings. Maybe it were the titans?
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Killer Angel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 am

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:There seem to be a lot of fate (or random) involved with the creation of units and buildings. Maybe it were the titans?

Interesting point.
After all, Stanley ordered to rebuild the city, but he obiously had no idea or control, on such process.
Which seems a little weird to me...
English is not my native language: sometimes my grammar will be wrong, and sometimes I can even seem dumb (so, give me a chance); it's never an excuse to be a jerk.
Killer Angel

Postby Lawence of Awabia » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:41 am

We know Parson didn't do it. Stanley ordered the city rebuilt, but didn't have any idea what it would look like. So, who did? I think that yes, definitely, there are forces we haven't seen at work making decisions behind the scenes.

Makes me wonder if all the talk about uncroaked with Parson's crest, or Decrypted with Wanda's skull motif, is all for nothing...maybe they don't have any conscious control over how things like that look, and it's all decided somewhere else, just like the details of the rebuilt Gobwin Knob are.

I wonder if Stanley will have any conscious control over what new unit types to pop? Or if he'll just order up some infantry, and see what happens.
Lawence of Awabia

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:51 am

I'm pretty sure that the ruler can choose the kind of unit a city produces, but the details and personality are random, and sometimes fate. That Bogroll was popped with a rather naive personality was random, that Jillian is a enthusiastic fighter was fate, because it was the personality needed.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Anton Gaist » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:58 am

moose o death wrote:he seems excited about having ansom as a minion. i wonder if he thinks he can use ansom and put parson on toilet duty

Coming from Stanley, he'll want to rub it in Ansom's face who just won and unwinnable battle. So if anyone's going to be on toilet duty, my money is on the Radish Prince.

Killer Angel wrote:The Tool seems surprised by the new city: still, for rebuilding the city, it must be the Overlord that orders the payment from the treasury.
So, was Maggie that asked Stanley (at the beginning of the turn, before the movement) to give such an order? It seems strange that one like him, accept to give such an order without seeing before the place.

Maybe it's Thinkamancy? The city is popped to suit the personality of the ruler, and its specific details are not consciously chosen, perhaps.

Sintar07 wrote:I think this update actually revealed something very interesting about Stanley. It points out that he refused to have a logo because they were royalist. Apparently, he didn't want to assosciate himself with the royals. Of course, he also likes the new emblem, so he's apparently not a very strong idealist, but it's still quite a big thing coming from him.

Maybe he really is that strong an idealist. The banners bear an uncanny ressemblance to soviet "power of the working man" propaganda posters and look hardly like a crest at all. So again, maybe not a conscious decision but the city creating these to reflect his outlook at the world? Down with the monarchy, power to the working class and all that jazz?

And Stanley starting to care about names? Woah there. Wow.

*EDIT* As for the "feel" of the banner, it's kind of similar to these one's, right?

Image Image

So now I really think Stanley the Plaid just turned into a serious threat to Erfworld. Not that he's a commie, but still... fear the Tool.
Last edited by Anton Gaist on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby moose o death » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:16 am

it said he didn't want a crest, i don't consider those to be crests as much as general decore.

stanley is a little..enthusiastic about things occasionally so i can see him using it as a crest.

what i liked about this update is the change in writing style to reflect stanley's thoughts rather than parson's. parson seems detail oriented, while stanley seemed more scattered and easily distracted.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Next

Return to Reactions