robak wrote:Side note: Why didn't Wanda and Maggie link up for the Trioxin spell, if 2-way links are so much easier and safer?
It might also have been a question of juice expenditure. Since Wanda's a croakamancer, Trioxin was probably the only reasonable use for her remaining juice, whereas Maggie, as a thinkamancer, probably had better things to do with her remaining juice, such as thinkagrams and troop coordination, especially since (I think) Trioxin took place at night, and they would have had their juice replenished at dawn.
This is assuming that 2-way links just improve caster efficiency - if it could have resulted in more powerful uncroaked, then they should have risked linking (although Parson didn't know about 2-way links at the time, and the casters weren't readily volunteering information).
Illustrative example (arbitrarily assuming linking increases caster efficiency by 20%)
Situation 1: Wanda uses 100% of her juice on Trioxin (leaving her at 0%); Maggie uses 90% of her juice helping Parson (leaving her at 10%); both replenish to 100% at dawn
Situation 2: Wanda/Maggie links, casts Trioxin, unlinks; Wanda's at 60% juice, twiddling her thumbs until dawn; Maggie's at 60% (minus whatever juice she spent linking and delinking), uses remaining juice to help Parson; both replenish to 100% at dawn.
Situation 2 results in a net loss in caster usage (~30% of Maggie's juice).
Linked casters are probably super-powerful because juice-pooling lets you expend more than 100% juice - up to 200% or 300% (or, using my example, 250% or 375%) - on a single spell. Linked turnamancers might increase that potential, letting you stockpile juice for more than one turn, so that, even if they only add an extra turn's worth of juice, you can cast a single spell that costs 400% (bimancer) or 600% (trimancer) (or, using my example, 500% or 750%) juice. Actually, using this formula, a bimancer containing a turnamancer would, every second turn, be more powerful than a trimancer, although it would be limited to thinkamancy and turnamancy spells (such as Kingworld, which could be considered either turnamancy (forced turn ending) or thinkamancy (temporary long-distance mind control of some GK unit capable of ending turn) or some combination of the two, depending on your theory of the spell). A trimancer containing a turnamancer would be mind-blowingly powerful. A trimancer containing two turnamancers would border on retconjuration.