Chris's Erfworld Game

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Chris's Erfworld Game

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:06 pm

And I got them from history :)

It would not be surprising if they show up in Civ, for the same reason.

Incidentally, if our hypothetical rule system ends up looking a lot like Civ (or anything else), is that bad? Or a legal liability?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Crovius » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:46 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Incidentally, if our hypothetical rule system ends up looking a lot like Civ (or anything else), is that bad? Or a legal liability?

As it is a gaming technique and not unique to the game no, it would not be any sort of copyright.

And it would be good, as long as a GM-style person tracks your food, science and production. Gold you see how much you have. The others are more numbers in the background sorta deal. You know the Barracks takes 60 production to complete and you know that city is producing maybe 17 production each turn, but you really don't want to have to track that yourself, or add up all the science being produced by all your cities and figure out how many more turns into you've researched "Super Forged Armor" or whatever. Let the guy who handles hundreds of numbers for a living do that.
Crovius

Postby Twoy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:14 pm

We already have to track schmuckers and city production and juice regeneration and xp for all of our units (or at least the commanders). I hope we can avoid tracking research production.
Twoy

Postby Chris Goodwin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 pm

This would most likely be in a separate design section, along with unit design. In other words, GM's use. Ideally, when a map is built, whoever has designed the map will go through all of the city sites and note maximum city level for each based on all of these factors.

It might also naturally suggest capital sites. Even though any city's maximum level is 5, if additional factors would push the city's level above that then the city could be a capital.

(edited slightly to hopefully clarify -- this is not intended to allow cities higher than level 5, just determine potential capital sites.)
Last edited by Chris Goodwin on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Goodwin

Postby Twoy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:52 am

Wait, wait wait. Max city level should be 5, even it if it has everything on the list.
Twoy

Postby Crovius » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:29 am

Why?
Crovius

Postby Twoy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 am

Crovius wrote:Why?

Because that is the max city size in Erfworld. Or at least I think it is.
Twoy

Postby Chris Goodwin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Twoy wrote:Wait, wait wait. Max city level should be 5, even it if it has everything on the list.

Right. That hasn't changed. But... if a city site gets +2 from one factor, +2 from another, +1 from another, and three more +1's, then it could be a capital site.

Still has a max level of 5.
Chris Goodwin

Postby Crovius » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:50 pm

Gobwin Knob is a hypothetical Lv 8 City due to it's surrounding terrain, Parson says so in one of his sumemr journal entries I think.
Crovius

Postby Nihila » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:22 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:It would not be surprising if they show up in Civ, for the same reason.
Rivers add one food to each square bordering them in Civ. Great Titans, I am such a Civ Fanatic.
Crovius wrote:Gobwin Knob is a hypothetical Lv 8 City due to it's surrounding terrain, Parson says so in one of his sumemr journal entries I think.
That's defense-wise. The city is nearly unapproachable on one side, has huge walls, trebuchets at the gate, etc.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby Chris Goodwin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:06 pm

I have done some updating, including some reorganization as well as discussion of things we talked about here. The document is here (same place; link provided here for those who don't want to go searching back for it).
Chris Goodwin

Postby Nihila » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Chris, good fix of the Warlord assassination problem. Also, I can't help but notice that the Target the Warlord rule also balances my Minis. :)
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby Twoy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:23 am

Upkeep
A unit’s upkeep must be paid (in Schmuckers) at the beginning of each turn, or at the beginning of the day when out of combat. Units whose upkeep is not paid immediately disband. A player may choose which units to disband, or may set a “disband order”; if set, units automatically disband in the order set by the player. A player may also disband units at any time (during his turn, between turns, or at night). A unit’s upkeep is equal to its cost in points to pop, times its level (thus, a level 3 character that initially cost 50 points to pop has an upkeep cost of 150 Schmuckers per turn). A unit’s upkeep must be paid on the turn it pops.

We have not yet seen how much more powerful a unit becomes when it raises from Level 1 to Level 2, but with the exception of commanders, paying double for a Level 2 and triple for a Level 3 seems counterproductive.
Twoy

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:30 am

About upkeep-

May I make another radical suggestion? Keep it frozen at the same amount regardless of level EXCEPT for Caster(-like) units. It's not like your veteran soldiers suddenly start eating more.

Neither would Casters, come to think of it, but hey, in-comic data suggests upkeep increases for Archons and maybe Casters (and Warlords) too.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Twoy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Upkeep
A unit’s upkeep must be paid (in Schmuckers) at the beginning of each turn, or at the beginning of the day when out of combat. Units whose upkeep is not paid immediately disband. A player may choose which units to disband, or may set a “disband order”; if set, units automatically disband in the order set by the player. A player may also disband units at any time (during his turn, between turns, or at night). A unit’s upkeep is equal to its cost in points to pop, times its level (thus, a level 3 character that initially cost 50 points to pop has an upkeep cost of 150 Schmuckers per turn). A unit’s upkeep must be paid on the turn it pops.

We have not yet seen how much more powerful a unit becomes when it raises from Level 1 to Level 2, but with the exception of commanders, paying double for a Level 2 and triple for a Level 3 seems counterproductive.
Twoy

Postby Siralus » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:54 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:About upkeep-

May I make another radical suggestion? Keep it frozen at the same amount regardless of level EXCEPT for Caster(-like) units. It's not like your veteran soldiers suddenly start eating more.

Neither would Casters, come to think of it, but hey, in-comic data suggests upkeep increases for Archons and maybe Casters (and Warlords) too.

Imagine it as reagents.
Siralus

Previous

Return to Your Games