The Battle for {Insert Name Here}

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

The Battle for {Insert Name Here}

Postby Nihila » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 am

Hello, welcome to The Battle for {Insert Name Here} (Now The Battle for Orgchart). If your name is Siralus, Twoy, or LTDave, read the rules below, post your units (up to 5 types), and PM me your vote for Chief Warlord. If your name is Crovius, BLANDCorporatio, or Sihioba, you might want to keep an eye on this until your game starts. If your name is WaterMonkey314, thanks for keeping an eye on this, I don't have much experience GM'ing. If your name is anything else, this might be fun to watch or just plain tedious.

Rules:
Mounting:
Spoiler: show
Units may use another unit as a Mount IF the Mount has twice or more the starting hits of the units being carried. For example, a Gobwin with 3 hits may use a creature with 6 or more hits as a mount. This will only be helpful if the larger unit has a higher move value. 3 Gobwins could ride on a Mount with 18 or more hits.

Garrison units may never move, even on mounts.

Design Your Force:
As in the Comic, Units have four stats – Move, Attack, Defence, and Hits.

Move is the number of hexes a unit can move on the strategic map – Value 0 to 5.

Attack is the Combat value of the unit, whether attacking or being attacked.

Defence has changed in this game. It now represents the Armour/Dodge value of the unit. It is the capacity of the unit to avoid taking hits. Basically, a value of 5 means that 5 out of 8 hits against a stack will be ignored.

Hits are the amount of damage a unit can take before being cwoaked. Hits are restored to full at the beginning of the side’s turn.

For the purposes of this game, Players will design their own unit types. Each Player can have up to five distinct unit types, each with their own stats. These cannot be changed as the game progresses, so be careful in design.
Some simple rules on design:
1. Movement of 0 is Garrison. Movement of 1 is Siege; Movement of 2 is Infantry; Movement of 3 or 4 is Cavalry; Movement of 5 is Flyer. Units may not have move higher than 5 in this game.
2. Units may not have Attack values more than one and half times hits (rounded up) – So a unit with 3 hits could have 5 attacks.
3. Units may have a defence value between 0 and 5, but may not have defence higher than hits.
4. Hits are related to size. So a unit with 1 hit is tiny (like a bat or bird), 3 is small (like a Gobwin), 5 is average (like a Human or Elf), 10 is big (Horse or Twoll), 20 is large (Dwagon or Golem), 30 is huge (Giants, etc). A unit may not have more than 30 hits.
5. The cost of the unit is equal to all the following formula:
Cost = [(HITS²/4) + (ATTACK + DEFENCE)] x 0.5 + [(HITS x MOVE) x 0.5]+ SPECIAL

Special is 10 for Scouts, 20 for Commanders. Special = Attack for ranged

Each Player has 500 points worth of units at the beginning of the game. Players must post their unit types and stats on the forum.

Commanders:
A Commander is a unit, like Ansom or Zamussels in the Comic. Each Player must have at least one Commander.
In the Comic, Commanders are all roughly “Human”. Therefore, no Commander may have more than 6 hits, or less than 3.

In addition, Commanders have a “Level”. When the Commander is created, the GM will determine the level – on a d10, 1-2 is level 1, 3-5 level 2, 6-7 level 3, 8-9 level 4, 10 level 5.
Each time a Commander is in a winning combat (ie, inflicts more hits than the opponent), the Commander gains 1 experience point. The Commander may go to the next level if they have experience points equal to the next level (ie, to go from level 3 to 4, the Commander must have 4 experience points).

Commanders increase the attack and defence values of the units they are stacked with, and may issue orders. Only units in the same hex as a Commander may move in a turn.

Combat:
In the comic, Parson says that Combat in Erfworld has a simple mechanic, and the key to victory is multipliers, not addition. The following system attempts to replicate that.

Units fight together in Stacks. In Combat, Total all ATTACK values points for the first eight units in the stack. Flyers may not stack with non-Flyers (unless the non-Flyers are using the Flyers as Mounts).

Commander Bonuses – for each level of the Commander in the stack, increase the Command Bonus by 0.1. Commanders do not have to be listed in the first 8 units to add this bonus. If there is no Commander, the Bonus remains at 1.0.
The Chief Warlord is a Special Commander. In any hex with a Chief Warlord, the Leadership bonus of all Allied stacks is increased by 0.1.

Terrain Bonuses may be included in a later game, but this game will not have any Terrain except flat plains.

Ranged units on the Defensive inflict hits before the enemy has a chance to attack. Ranged units on the offensive may inflict hits, and, if the unit has move remaining, may leave the hex before the opposing stack retaliates. If a ranged unit attacks a ranged unit, combat is simultaneous. In order to use a ranged attack, the entire stack must be ranged. Non-Ranged Commanders may add a Leadership bonus only to a stack of Ranged units – obviously do not use their Attacks. Ranged stacks must always choose to engage an enemy ranged stack (if possible) before attacking a non-ranged stack.

Special Bonus – Specials include Dancefighting, Ditto-Mancy, etc. Default is 1.0. Rules for these will come as the game develops. In each combat after the first, this Special Bonus is halved. That is, a stack is attacked by two stacks. In the second calculation, the Defender’s special bonus value drops to 0.5. In a third combat, the value would drop to 0.25, and so on.
The only exception to this is if the Defending unit succeeds in ‘wiping out’ the attacking stack – ie, all attacking units are cwoaked. In this event, the Defending stack acts as though it had not fought any combats.

Ambush Bonus – units that enter a hex without scouting can be ambushed. The Ambush value ranges from 1.0 (no ambush) to 2.0 (ambush).

Random Number – not every combat point means a hit. The Random Number adds a bit of luck to the mix. On (2d6+8)/20, 2 is 50%, 7 is 75%, 12 is 100%, etc.

Use the following formula to work out how many hits have been inflicted on the enemy:

Hits = Total Attack X Command Bonus X Special Bonus X Ambush Bonus X Random Number X (8 - Opposition Average Defence - Terrain Bonus) / 8

Round result to nearest whole number. This is reflected in the Spreadsheet which is also linked to in LTDave's signature, and is the xls file on this page:http://sites.google.com/site/erfworldempires/home/gobwin-bump-two

The opposing stack takes the number of hits inflicted. Units are destroyed based on their stacking order – first unit listed takes maximum hits, before the next is wounded.
Exception – a stack led in attack by a Commander may direct hits at any unit in the opposing stack, but the unit takes TWICE as many hits to cwoak as it normally would. Opposing Commanders take FOUR TIMES as many hits to cwoak as normal if targeted. Obviously the first unit in a stack will never need to be targeted.

The Alliance Turn:
The Alliance turn is broken into two phases – Scout, and Move / Combat. At the beginning of the game, the Alliance players will elect one of their own to be Chief Warlord. It is the responsibility of the Chief to declare an end to the Scout Phase, and to the Move / Combat phase, which will end the turn. In the event that a Player has not posted orders within 72 hours (three days) of the beginning of a phase, the Chief Warlord may issue orders on their behalf and end the Phase.

Scout Phase:
Players may create units with a special scout ability. These units are created as per normal units, simply add 10 points to the Cost.

In the Scout phase, any scout unit in the same hex as a Commander may be given orders to inspect a string of adjacent hexes equal to the unit’s move. The unit remains in the original hex – it simply inspects the hexes (how it does this is left entirely up to your imagination). The Scout unit moves in the Movement phase.

In the Scout Phase, players give orders to their scout units. Once the Chief Warlord declares an end to the Scout Phase, the GM will examine the orders and update the map with information from hexes inspected. Scout units may then move their full allowance in the Move / Combat phase.

Figure 1:
Scout unit S has three move, and has the following orders – inspect NW (Northwest), inspect SW (Southwest), inspect S (South).

Scout unit S2 has two move, and has the following orders – inspect SW, inspect SE.

(Sorry, image isn't visible. Scouts can inspect any number of hexes that they could move into in the Move/Combat phase, as long as each hex is adjacent to the last hex scouted)

Both units remain in the starting hex, and may move 3 and 2 hexes respectively in the Move / Combat phase.

During the Scout Phase, the Chief Warlord may be given a number of points to distribute between the players. The Players may then nominate a set of units to “pop” at the beginning of the Scout Phase.

Move and Combat Phase:
Once the GM has reported on the actions of scouts, the Movement and Combat phase begins. Players may issue orders to units in the same hex as a Commander. Units may move into any hex, but if a unit moves into a hex that has not been scouted, it may be ambushed if enemy forces are present.

Commanders may move units to pass on orders to other units – so a stack at a distance could be reached by another unit that passes on instructions.

Commanders may move into a hex, issue orders to units there, and then move on again.

Units may be sent to attack enemy units. Players should use the spreadsheet provided to calculate the combat results. Each Unit may attack once per turn.

Units gain advantages by stacking together. It is possible to attack the same stack multiple times, but each stack in a hex must be attacked before any stack is attacked more than once.

For Example:
A hex contains two stacks – Stack “A” of 8 gobwins, and stack “B” of 6 gobwins.
In order for Alliance troops to attack Stack “A” twice, stack “B” must be attacked at least once.

Players may move in any order, and may move and fight with all or some of their units at any one time.

If a stack has movement left after combat, it may move to an adjacent hex.

End of Turn:
The Alliance turn ends when the Chief Warlord declares it over. The Chief Warlord should post on the forum and send a Private Message to the GM. At the end of the Alliance turn, Gobwin Knob units heal to full health.

Opposition Turn:
The forces of Gobwin Knob move at the discretion of the GM. Any results that impact on the Alliance players will be posted on the forum. Once the Gobwin Knob turn is over, the Alliance players may begin their Scout phase, and all Alliance units heal to full health.

Well, I'll give a 72-hour (3 day) warning of when I'll start trying to croak your commanders, and then the game will begin. Try to have your units posted and Chief Warlord votes in ASAP so that I can get them today, tomorrow's schedule is busy, busy, busy.

Thanks for reading, and I truly hope that this is an enjoyable experience for us all.

Edited for Spelling, to change the unit limit, and to clarify the lack of terrain. Which does not mean that I won't try to outflank, outmaneuver, befuddle, and confuse you all. And to state the actual location of this thing: Orgchart.
Last edited by Nihila on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Re: The Battle for {Insert Name Here}

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:08 am

(Post moved here because it was relevant to the other cost formula).
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Nihila » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:30 am

Erm... A better place for those examples would be WaterMonkey's thread. He'll probably start working with you, Sihoiba, and Crovius soon now that you have a formula, but I will be trying to min-max my troop composition, after I know what Siralus, LTDave, and Twoy are sending at me.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:39 am

Ah, oops. Misunderstanding.

I thought those things would run somehow parallel, and be relevant here also- I'll "delete" the post and move it to the other thread.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Siralus » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:43 am

2 Thunder Lizards, Move 1, Hits 16, Attack 24, Defense 5 = 110
8 Thunder Bats, Move 5, Hits 3, Attack 5, Defense 3 = 88 (198)
4 Thunder Cats, Move 3, Hits 5, Attack 8, Defense 5, = 84 (282)
10Thunder Infantry, Move 2, Hits 5, Attack 6, Defense 4, = 130 (422)
Commander Thunder, Move 2, Hits 6, Attack 9, defense 5, Commander = 38 (460)
Commander Lightning, Move 2, Hits 6, Attack 9, defense 5, Commander = 38 (498)

Wait, there was a limit?

I didn't notice. I'm happy with these.
Last edited by Siralus on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siralus

Postby Nihila » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:38 am

Siralus, I'm feeling charitable today, so I'll let each player have FIVE unit types. I've edited my first post to reflect this, and allow me to repeat that: Each player gets FIVE UNIT TYPES.

It should be more fun that way, anyways.

Edit: Also, Siralus, you need a name for your side. Otherwise I'll refer to you as the Foddermen or the Expendables or something like that. :D
Nihila

Postby Siralus » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:19 am

I think I'll roll with a modification on your foddermen.

The Thundermen!
Siralus

Postby Nihila » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Also, zilfallon is joining this game, and I think that's about all I can handle.
Nihila

Postby zilfallon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Avewnus:

-Unit-types:

Imp: Move 5, Hits 1, Attack 1, Defence 1 + Scout >> 14 each
"A tiny, humanoid devil with dark red skin, a little tail and bat wings."
Bezekiwa: Move 2, Hits 6, Attack 8, Defence 5 >> 17 each
"A tall and muscular humanoid, with green skin and pitch black eyes, wielding a runed spear."
Hellflame Dwake: Move 5, Hits 6, Attack 9, Defence 4 >> 26 each
"A smaller version of Hellflame Dwagons whose blood is lava. Lava drips from its scales, and its flow can be seen easly, giving this dwagon
a fiery, scary look."

Abyssal Cannon: Move 1, Hits 12, Attack 14, Defence 2 + Ranged>> 46 each
"This cannon is engraved with many runes and shoots molten rock."
Bezekiwa Commander: Move 2, Hits 6, Attack 8, Defence 5 + Leadership >> 37 each
"A larger bezekiwa, wearing black plate armor, with a scythe, instead of a spear."
Dwake Commander: Move 5, Hits 6, Attack 9, Defence 4 + Leadership >> 46 each
"A dwake with darker scales, his eyes are fiery orbs, and his teeth and claws constantly drip lava."
Ewinyes: Move 2, Hits 4, Attack 6, Defence 2 + Ranged >> 16 each
"A beautiful female, thin, human-like devil, with red skin and eyes, and long black hair, carrying a bow shooting fiery arrows."

-Starting Forces:

5 Imp > 70 pts
8 Hellflame Dwake > 208 pts
8 bezekiwa > 136 pts
Bezekiwa Commander Agrach > 37 pts
Dwake Commander Vis > 46 pts

497 pts total
Last edited by zilfallon on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Twoy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:16 pm

I decided to go with all ranged units since we do not have much so far.

Queen Lucy
Move: 3
Hits: 5
Attack: 8 (Ranged)
Defence: 5
Special: Level 2 Warlord
Cost: 45

Griffon Riders
Move: 5
Hits: 10
Attack: 15 (Ranged)
Cost: 63

Queen Susan
Hits: 6
Attack: 9 (Ranged)
Special: Level 5 Warlord
Cost: 50

Faun Archers
Hits: 5
Attack: 8 (Ranged)
Defence: 3
Cost: 21

Sparrowhawk
Move: 5
Hits: 1
Attack: 1 (Ranged)
Defence: 1
Cost: 15

Cost = [(HITS²/4) + (ATTACK + DEFENCE)] x 0.5 + [(HITS x MOVE) x 0.5]+ SPECIAL

Stacks:
Flying Archers
Griffon Riders x 4
Queen Lucy

Ground Archers
Faun Archers x 7
Queen Susan
Last edited by Twoy on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twoy

Postby Nihila » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Okay, your commanders' levels:
Thunder: Level 1
Lightning: Level 3
Agrach: Level 5
Vis: Level 3
Lucy: Level 2
Susan: Level 5
... Is my d10 broken? Oh well, you guys now have some powerful commanders.

Twoy, you currently have 6 points spare, zilfallon has 3, and Siralus has 2. Oh, and LTDave has 500. Don't forget to PM me your vote for Chief Warlord, please! (I'll keep saying this until everyone who has posted a side votes.)
Nihila

Postby zilfallon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:22 pm

It isn't about your d10 that leaders from Avewnus are strong. We devils are known,and feared, for our leadership and good organization, unlike brutal demons who know no warfare.
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:34 pm

zilfallon wrote:It isn't about your d10 that leaders from Avewnus are strong. We devils are known,and feared, for our leadership and good organization, unlike brutal demons who know no warfare.

OOC: a fan of the Planescape, I take it?

But in the end, Modrons should rule!
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby zilfallon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:37 pm

(Well, not Planescape, but DnD , in general. And FR to be specific.)
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Nihila » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Yeah, devils are nasty things to fight.

Just for my convenience, can you guys post stacking structures? Actually, I'll post the stacks that I assume your units are in, and I'll correct them later.

Siralus:
Stack A: 2 Thunder Lizards, 4 Thunder Cats, 1 Thunder Infantry, Commander Thunder(Lv. 1). Attack: 188.1 (all bonuses applied), Average Defense: 5.
Stack B: 9 Thunder Infantry, Commander Lightning(Lv. 3). Attack: 99.84, Average Defense: 5.
Stack C: 8 Thunder Bats. Attack: 72, Average Defense: 3.

Zilfallon:
Stack D: 8 Hellflame Dwake, Commander Vis(Lv. 3). Attack: 159.12, Average Defense: 4.
Stack E: 8 Bezekiwa, Commander Agrach(Lv. 5). Attack: 163.2, Average Defense: 5.
Stack F: 5 Imps. Attack: 7.5, Average Defense: 1.

Twoy:
Stack G: 4 Griffon Riders, Queen Lucy(Lv. 2). Attack: 122.4, Average Defense: 5.
Stack H: 7 Faun Archers, Queen Susan(Lv. 5). Attack: 175.5, Average Defense: 3.25.

Those Level 5 Warlords really make your attack score rise pretty sharply, don't they?
Last edited by Nihila on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nihila

Postby Twoy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:04 pm

How are you calculating the Warlord bonus? Is there another bonus I'm not aware of, because those numbers look too large?

Stack H: 7 Faun Archers, Queen Susan(Lv. 5). Attack: 175.5, Average Defense: 3.
Faun Archers are 8 and Queen Susan is 9
8 x 7 + 9 =65
65 x 1.5=97.5

Also defense should be 3.25. The spreadsheet does not round off defense, assuming we are still using the same spreadsheet from tBfGB2.
Twoy

Postby Nihila » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:53 pm

I'll fix Susan's stack's defense.

And the bonus you're forgetting? Stacking bonus. Susan's stack has a *1.8 stack bonus, which puts 97.5 up to 175.5.
Nihila

Postby LTDave » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Welcome the Generic Army of Generica. Under the leadership of Captain-General Genericus, the Genericans promise a brutal suppression of all things original.

13 Guardsman 6 HITS 9 ATTACK 5 DEFENCE 2 MOVE 0 SPECIAL {none} 17.5 EACH COST 227.5 TOTAL COST
0 Archer 6 HITS 9 ATTACK 5 DEFENCE 2 MOVE 9 SPECIAL {ranged} 26.5 EACH COST 0 TOTAL COST
1 Captain 6 HITS 9 ATTACK 5 DEFENCE 2 MOVE 20 SPECIAL {commander] 37.5 EACH COST 37.5 TOTAL COST
2 Ogre 20 HITS 30 ATTACK 5 DEFENCE 2 MOVE 0 SPECIAL 87.5 EACH COST 175 TOTAL COST
2 Outrider 5 HITS 5 ATTACK 5 DEFENCE 4 MOVE 10 SPECIAL [scout] 28.125 EACH COST 56.25 TOTAL COST

Our Stacks are:
A: 1 Ogre, 6 Guardsmen, 1 Captain, 2 Outriders
B: 1 Orgre, 7 Guardsmen.
LTDave

Postby zilfallon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:09 am

Interesting side, LTDave, "Captain-General Genericus" , lol.
Also, my stack's are just like you wrote, except that i'm going to break imp's stack and probably send them to scouting seperately. It doesn't really matter if they are together or not, but anyway it is irrelevant now.
And I don't think it was hard to guess how I'm going to stack, anyway :D
Violets are blue.

zilfallon

Postby Nihila » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:57 am

LTDave, unit costs round normally--your Outriders cost 28 points, Ogres cost 88, Captain Genericus costs 38, Archers cost 27, and Guardsmen cost 18. You will want to adjust your force based on this. Once you do, I will post my unit types and deploy... say 1200 points worth at the Fer-durp. That works out as 300 points for each player, which seems fair to balance the fact that I need no scouts.

LTDave has one unused unit slot.
My suggestion for LTDave's new force:
11xGuardsmen 6-9-5-2, Cost=198
1xCaptain Genericus 6-9-5-2, Cost=38
2xOgres 20-30-5-2, Cost=176
2xOutriders 5-5-5-4, Cost=56
1xArcher 6-9-5-2, Ranged, Cost=27
Total Cost=495

Once I receive Siralus's Chief Warlord vote and LTDave confirms this new force or redesigns his, I will post my units and start your turn.
Last edited by Nihila on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nihila

Next

Return to Your Games