Summer Updates - 005

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 005

Postby Goshen » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 pm

I don't see Stanley feeling seriously threatened by Hamster, because he can disband Hamster at any time. Can he disband Wanda too? That would be an awesomely stupid move which I doubt he will do.

But I agree with others, that Stanley may very well appoint Ansom as his new chief warlord because he probably imparts a higher bonus.
Goshen

Postby Anton Gaist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:I can't imagine what comes next. What could Stanley talk with his former archnemesis? Parson apparently did his job. The only thing I can imagine is, that Stanley wants to make Ansom his new chief warlord and use Parson as advisor. Maybe Stanley would like to adapt the transylvito stile.

I think it could go somewhere along the lines of "Here we have this huge fat bloke who can apparently overcome any scenario the Titans throw at him. Now, what do we use him for?"
"Uhm, how about keep him in the city and get him to make all decisions and have me in the battlefield carrying out his orders... in your name, of course."
"Really?"
"Yah-huh."
"Ok then."
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby teratorn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Anton Gaist wrote:I think it could go somewhere along the lines of "Here we have this huge fat bloke who can apparently overcome any scenario the Titans throw at him. Now, what do we use him for?"
"Uhm, how about keep him in the city and get him to make all decisions and have me in the battlefield carrying out his orders... in your name, of course."
"Really?"
"Yah-huh."
"Ok then."

It won't work like that. Ansom's devotion for Parson is huge, he wants to be his lackey.
teratorn

Postby Bobby Archer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Goshen wrote:I don't see Stanley feeling seriously threatened by Hamster, because he can disband Hamster at any time. Can he disband Wanda too? That would be an awesomely stupid move which I doubt he will do.

Seeing as Stanley is still the Overlord paying upkeep on both Wanda and Parson, it makes sense that he could disband either of them at any time. He doesn't seem inclined to, which is a good thing for everyone involved, but he does have that power.

teratorn wrote:It won't work like that. Ansom's devotion for Parson is huge, he wants to be his lackey.

But lackey doesn't necessarily have to mean servant/aide de camp. There's no reason Ansom couldn't be Parson's lackey, acting on his behalf, croaking other sides. This seems to be more in line with what Ansom has in mind.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby DevilDan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Just to reiterate: I am thoroughly enjoying these updates.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Anton Gaist » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:32 pm

Bobby Archer wrote:
teratorn wrote:It won't work like that. Ansom's devotion for Parson is huge, he wants to be his lackey.

But lackey doesn't necessarily have to mean servant/aide de camp. There's no reason Ansom couldn't be Parson's lackey, acting on his behalf, croaking other sides. This seems to be more in line with what Ansom has in mind.

My thoughts exactly. I'm trying to imagine what it'll be like when he has to fight Vinnie and Jillian... but I can't. I leave that scene to Rob and Jamie to create.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby luxgladius » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Mikalyaran wrote:Yeah dude, holy crap...if people are right and Wanda can rebel against Stanley...well he better hope they are wrong about her inclination to do so. I still maintain that she won't. At least she won't during the summer updates. Something as big as that would be handled in a book not summer updates.

I keep seeing this said, and I haven't seen any people who think it's unlikely, so I thought I'd weigh in. Wanda has no reason to want Stanley dead. She's shown that she's quite capable of manipulating and controlling him, and his goals coincide with hers for the most part. He is attuned to the Arkenhammer, which clearly is something rare enough that she can't rely on being able to find a replacement. It makes more sense for her to leave him to be the figurehead, the one who is hated, and for her to work behind the scenes, at least until such time as he sees the leash around his neck and starts becoming a nuisance.
luxgladius

Postby SteveMB » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 pm

luxgladius wrote:I keep seeing this said, and I haven't seen any people who think it's unlikely, so I thought I'd weigh in. Wanda has no reason to want Stanley dead. She's shown that she's quite capable of manipulating and controlling him, and his goals coincide with hers for the most part. He is attuned to the Arkenhammer, which clearly is something rare enough that she can't rely on being able to find a replacement. It makes more sense for her to leave him to be the figurehead, the one who is hated, and for her to work behind the scenes, at least until such time as he sees the leash around his neck and starts becoming a nuisance.

"I have no desire to be emperor. I prefer to work behind the scenes. The reward is nearly as great, and the risk far, far less."
--Londo Mollari
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Ichthus » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:14 pm

I hate page-turners where that next page doesn't come out for days or even weeks...
Ichthus

Postby Angband » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:14 pm

HandofShadows wrote:And we see that Stanely is more than a little worried a Parson. But however worried he is, he isn't worried enough.

I interpreted that line, especially Stanley's conspiratorial tone, as being that Stanley would like to replace Parson as Chief Warlord with TWFKAP Ansom.
Angband
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Mikalyaran wrote:
HandofShadows wrote: And we see that Stanely is more than a little worried a Parson. But however worried he is, he isn't worried enough.

i didn't see anything about the way Stanley reacted about Parson as indicating worry.

Not quite worry, but remember Stanley's standards in warlords. "Pick the most handsome and dashing one left and promote him to warlord." And now Stanley's got a dashing, high level warlord whose name is a homonym for "handsome." It's a no brainer for Stanley.

The question is how it will play out. I'm sure Ansom will insist that it was Parson's tactics and quick thinking that won, and that Parson is the more capable warlord, but will Stanley acquiesce or will he say "No way, I'm tired of the Pillsbury Doughboy, you're the new chief warlord, Ansome?"

I think Stanley will give in and leave Parson in charge. Stanley will get glowing endorsements from Wanda and Maggie too, and leave well enough alone. But it might happen that Parson gets demoted. If he is demoted, I think this will be a future point of conflict, big time, for Stanley's side (read: Wanda will croak Stanely for it eventually).

KBF wrote:So uh, guys...
"My Mistress favors..."

Yeah dude, holy crap...if people are right and Wanda can rebel against Stanley...well he better hope they are wrong about her inclination to do so. I still maintain that she won't. At least she won't during the summer updates. Something as big as that would be handled in a book not summer updates.

I think Wanda will revolt, but not over the summer. She needs to build more and she needs those dragons. Eventually Stanley will be superfluous, but right now Stanley's essential. I don't even think Wanda will revolt at the beginning of book two, although she could revolt at the end.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby KBF » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:41 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:I think Wanda will revolt, but not over the summer. She needs to build more and she needs those dragons. Eventually Stanley will be superfluous, but right now Stanley's essential. I don't even think Wanda will revolt at the beginning of book two, although she could revolt at the end.

And at the end of book three, over the summer? Summer updates showing the building of her faction. Will Parson betray her? Will Ansom back him up?

I think I have the formula here.
KBF

Postby valce » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Hard to speculate about what Wanda will do without knowing what she wants.

We know she wanted the Arkentool, but we have no idea why.

We know she had some affection for Jillian and If we believe what she said, then she never wanted FAQ to go down, so she isn't 'evil'. Ergo she's probably not out for something like destroying the world. She hasn't really expressed herself either way with regards to the 'holy' aspect of the Tools, but she doesn't seem to care too much about divine mandates or royalty. So world domination and free will seem like the most likely candidates.

I don't think we know enough to really say which is her true motivation, but achieving both of these would start with creating her own side...

-V
valce

Postby SteveMB » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:52 pm

valce wrote:She hasn't really expressed herself either way with regards to the 'holy' aspect of the Tools

Back when we first met Stanley, she chides him (as much as she can get away with): "You're using the Arkenhammer to crack walnuts? ... But it's divine. A tool of the Titans." (emphasis in original).

In retrospect, her real motivation could be annoyance at seeing an Arkentool that was supposed to be hers being treated so casually by the "imbecile" who had somehow gained the upper hand in her first scheme to fulfill the prophecy.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm confused. From context it looks like Parson isn't present on the parade ground. Shouldn't he be? And if he isn't, why not?
JenBurdoo

Postby BarGamer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:10 am

SteveMB wrote:"I have no desire to be emperor. I prefer to work behind the scenes. The reward is nearly as great, and the risk far, far less."
--Londo Mollari

Sir, if I could shake your hand right now, I would.

Loving all the humor in this update, and yeah, if the update came out RIGHT NOW, it probably still wouldn't be soon enough. I think I might have to buy a new chair, the edge of mine is getting pretty worn...
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby Bobby Archer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:26 am

JenBurdoo wrote:I'm confused. From context it looks like Parson isn't present on the parade ground. Shouldn't he be? And if he isn't, why not?

Parson entered the new Tower of Efdup to wait for Stanley in the new throne room. Better to let others tell Stanley of what he's done without him looking over their shoulders. Or Wanda and the decrypted Ansom make him really uncomfortable.

As for what Wanda's eventual plans are, she does refer to herself as an instrument of Fate, a tool, if you will. I think what she's up to depends heavily on what else was Predicted for her back in Faq. I, for one, don't think we've gotten the whole of it just yet.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Killer Angel » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:40 am

I really love these updates.
They are a lot more than simple "connective background" from TBFGK and Erfworld-book 2.

...and the last line of this update, leave me on the edge of my seat!
English is not my native language: sometimes my grammar will be wrong, and sometimes I can even seem dumb (so, give me a chance); it's never an excuse to be a jerk.
Killer Angel

Postby Skorj » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:12 am

"TWFKAP" would make a great sound effect too! :D
Skorj

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:31 am

Skorj wrote:"TWFKAP" would make a great sound effect too! :D

That made me realize that Ansom needs a new weapon! What do you think it would be? The only thing I remember seeing him wield besides the arkenpliers is a sword he picked up from an uncroaked after he dropped the pliers. I imagine he would use a sword of some sort, but I still think it would be cool if he had something different like an oversized butcher knife (cleaver) or something.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions