What ... Another Erfworld Sim?

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

What ... Another Erfworld Sim?

Postby HerbieRai » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Before I start the sell, Just wanted to say that starting this will be waiting on a few things

1) I still have to go over and edit the magic rules and adjust some point costs
2) Finding a good hex map maker. I have a program to help manage the campaign, and a generic map maker, but I want more then "green hexes are woods
3) The combat equation I made up hasn't been tested
4) (most important) We have 3 games in progress already. I'm not sure if there are enough of us playing these to get a 4th going

The basics of the game were taken from Siralus' "world of erfcraft" game, and I've been trying to edit it to make it be faster, both individual turns and overall game. I was thinking around 30 by 30 to a 40 by 40 (erfcraft is around 100 by 150 i think).

The big changes are in
1)scouting - now like the "battle for ___". I was thinking this would cause individual turns go faster.
2)unit creation - not as free form as before, but will allow for different costing units (instead of all basic being 100). I didn't want to go through creating an extensive cost formula
3) natural factions exist and alliances are allowed
4) cities produce faster (I think)
5) combat equation

(hope links work :D )
Basic Rules (take 2):
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B52ki9oQ_GTEZTIxOTg3NDQtNDU1MC00Nzg5LWJhYWEtMGQ3ZDc2YWY2ZjM2&hl=en&authkey=CMrxspQK

Unit Creation(take 2):
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B52ki9oQ_GTEMjYyMTM4YzYtYjZlMS00ODcwLWExM2UtMjZiYzFlNjZlODU0&hl=en&authkey=CPOCkYcB

Last notes:
1) If you see something that is too cheap/ too expensive, speak up. I'm one of those people that learn about hot stoves by getting burnt. Stop me from burning myself
2) The random number still hasn't been devised. I want it to correspond to randomness, and how many stacks are in a fight. So if 1 stack v 1 stack there will be low casualties, but 10 stacks attacking 8 will have men dying left and right.
3) For those mathematically inclined, all the values in unit creation were larger by a factor of 10, but the special cost was a percent. I took out the /100 constant.
Last edited by HerbieRai on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HerbieRai

Re: What ... Another Erfworld Sim?

Postby Nihila » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:13 pm

As far as I can tell, everything looks pretty good. For a hex map maker, Siralus tells me that he uses Hexographer. I've seen it(can't work with maps very well, though.), it has fairly complex terrain features.

I'll draw up a side overnight, see if I can find any blatant exploits.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:39 pm

I've found for quick and dirty graphics, MS Powerpoint works miracles. Just pick an image type to "Save As". :P

We might have enough people, since the south wing game is kinda in permanent stasis while I look for my notes... ><
WaterMonkey314

Postby Nihila » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:46 am

Sample Side:
Basic Units:
Colossus of Shadow: Colossol, Flight, Carrier, Axe, Spear, 21 Hits, 17 Attack, 11 Defense, 7 Move, Cost=900, Upkeep=300.
Swarm Insect: Tiny, Armed, Armored, Longbow, 3 Hits, 2 Attack, 1 Defense, 5 Move, Cost=39, Upkeep=13.
Salamander: Large, Mount, Cavalry, Fire Breath, 11 Hits, 9(13) Attack, 7 Defense, 9 Move, Cost=153, Upkeep=51.
Advanced Units:
Sorcerous Hunter: Medium, Poison, Magic Attack, Fearless, Longbow, 8 Hits, 9 Attack, 5 Defense, 6 Move, Cost=275, Upkeep=92.
Fransisc:Small, Flight, Scout, Armed, Great Axe, 5 Hits, 8 Attack, 1 Defense, 10 Move, Cost=143, Upkeep=48.
Shadow Noctu: Medium, Flight, Poison, Fearsome, Fearless, Longbow, 8 Hits, 7 Attack, 5 Defense, 12 Move, Cost=550, Upkeep=184.

Is this about the kind of stuff you want?
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby HerbieRai » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Question: Should I use the unit creation from the "battle for ___" series for a game like this? It would make me delete some abilities. Unless there's strong opposition, I'm going to try it.
HerbieRai

Postby HerbieRai » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm

I Integrated the unit creation/ abilities/ combat from the "battle for __" series with some empire building rules. If anyone can think of better link spells for Fool-Shock, Fool-Heal, and Shock-Heal, I was a bit stumped.
HerbieRai

Postby Nihila » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Just a small objection to the combat system:
If the minimum damage dealt is 1, then the optimized army is Nihila's dreaded Mini--mass-producable tiny units, stats about 1 Hit, 1 Attack, 1 Defense, 1 Move. Cost is 2 for that, exactly. And also probably a carrier unit, 50 Hits, 25 Attack, 0 Defense, 5 Move unit as well, for obvious reasons. (Cost is 150.) What I do is swarm you with a few hundred of those, guaranteed to deal at least 1 damage a pop.

Just have the minimum damage be 0, please.
Nihila

Return to Your Games