The Arkensword

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

The Arkensword

Postby Maldeus » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Just a thought. It's unlikely, because it's not all shiney and "realistic" like the rest. But what if Parson just melted the fourth Arkentool? What exactly would that imply? Do the Arkentools have some kind of power when one Side possesses all four, or is the game-breaking power of having an Arkentool with no one else having one to counter it enough to guarantee world domination? Can an Arkentool be destroyed like this?

Discuss, and please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.
Image
Maldeus
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby SteveMB » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Maldeus wrote:Just a thought. It's unlikely, because it's not all shiney and "realistic" like the rest. But what if Parson just melted the fourth Arkentool? What exactly would that imply? Do the Arkentools have some kind of power when one Side possesses all four, or is the game-breaking power of having an Arkentool with no one else having one to counter it enough to guarantee world domination? Can an Arkentool be destroyed like this?

Discuss, and please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.

It couldn't possibly be the fourth known Arkentool, since it didn't even exist yet when Parson read that tidbit of information from his first Stupid Meal package. Also, it looks like part of the drawn art, not one of the rendered images used for the other Arkentools to make them look a bit odd and otherworldly.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
User avatar
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Maldeus » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:30 pm

Maldeus wrote:please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.
Image
Maldeus
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Lemarc » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Maldeus wrote:
Maldeus wrote:please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.

Well, the thing is, because it's such an unlikely, hypothetical situation there's not much motivation to discuss it at all. It's like discussing the implications of decrypted Ansom being Jillian in disguise.
Lemarc
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby atteSmythe » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:40 pm

What if the volcano was the fourth tool, the Arkenforge, and our heroes just gave it life?

...I don't know, seems like an odd speculation topic to me. Given that the sword probably isn't a Tool (heck, it isn't even a 'tool' with a small t), we don't even know if one would allow itself to be thrown into lava, or if it would melt if that happened. Actually, given the state of the Pliers, it seems pretty likely that the sword would be fine.
User avatar
atteSmythe
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Darkside007 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Maldeus wrote:please suspend your disbelief concerning the immense unlikelihood that the sword is an Arkentool. I think we're all aware of how incredibly unlikely it is.


I read as
Maldeus wrote:please discuss my pet theory seriously without mentioning how incredibly unlikely it is.


I mean, what did you expect? There isn't a single shred of supporting evidence for it.
User avatar
Darkside007
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Maldeus » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:56 pm

What you should have gotten out of that was "I'm bored, let's talk about something," but whatever, rule by majority.

Although I must say,

What if the volcano was the fourth tool, the Arkenforge, and our heroes just gave it life?


I absolutely love this theory.
Image
Maldeus
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby raphfrk » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Maldeus wrote:I absolutely love this theory.


Also, Parson's sword could re-pop "properly" forged and ready for tempering (in say the donut of doom lake)
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Re: The Arkensword

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Answering the question of "what happens if an arkentool gets thrown into the lake of lava?"

I assume that Arkentools, being epic in scope and power, would simple sink to the bottom of the lava lake.
I also assume that there would be a fire-based unit, like a fire elemental, that would be able to swim through the lava to retrieve it.

The lava is a terrain type, so it can't be an Arkentool. Also, Arkentools are CGI-rendered, giving them that otherworldly look, which the lake clearly isn't.

Charlie's dish is the 3rd Arkentool, so we can assume that The Tool is gunning for him next.
Other tools may be buried or hidden in inhospitable terrain - at the bottom of a sea, frozen in a glacier, deep in a chasm, etc.
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Maldeus » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Other tools? There's a thought...Keep in mind, there are four known Arkentools, according to the Stupid Meal. That seems very specific. Four known...And how many unknown? What if a ruler has shrewdly kept them secret? What if an ancient order of neutral monks in some distant, cloistered monastery has been keeping one of them secret and safe? What if one is still buried deep in some glacier or beneath the ocean? Hrm...Has a thread been made about this yet? Because it seems like the kind of thing that deserves its own thread.
Image
Maldeus
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Lord of Extinction » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:35 pm

Maldeus wrote:Other tools? There's a thought...Keep in mind, there are four known Arkentools, according to the Stupid Meal. That seems very specific. Four known...And how many unknown? What if a ruler has shrewdly kept them secret? What if an ancient order of neutral monks in some distant, cloistered monastery has been keeping one of them secret and safe? What if one is still buried deep in some glacier or beneath the ocean? Hrm...Has a thread been made about this yet? Because it seems like the kind of thing that deserves its own thread.



I think you're reading into it a little too much imo.
User avatar
Lord of Extinction
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Bobby Archer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58 pm

Lord of Extinction wrote:
Maldeus wrote:Other tools? There's a thought...Keep in mind, there are four known Arkentools, according to the Stupid Meal. That seems very specific. Four known...And how many unknown? What if a ruler has shrewdly kept them secret? What if an ancient order of neutral monks in some distant, cloistered monastery has been keeping one of them secret and safe? What if one is still buried deep in some glacier or beneath the ocean? Hrm...Has a thread been made about this yet? Because it seems like the kind of thing that deserves its own thread.



I think you're reading into it a little too much imo.

I disagree. Certainly, we're only likely to see the four known Arkentools for a good while, but the fact that the Stupid Meal specified "known Arkentools" implies that there may be more (or that Rob and Jamie are leaving themselves room to add more later). I wouldn't go looking for them at least until we find out what the fourth known tool is, though.

As for the Arkensword...nah.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
User avatar
Bobby Archer
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 pm
Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Re: The Arkensword

Postby myrddin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:13 am

I personally think that Sizemore's gonna get the next tool and it's gonna be some kind og Arkenplunger.
myrddin
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:02 am

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Maldeus » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:18 pm

I hope not. I don't want all the Arkentools stacked on one side. The Toolpire has two already, they don't need any more.
Image
Maldeus
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby cche » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:42 am

Hmmm... fireworks have started in the courtyard... methinks there is more than one side down there.
cche
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:36 am

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Bobby Archer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:39 am

Eh, fireworks could mean anything from totally figurative (an argument) to entirely literal (actual fireworks). I lean toward the former, but I know a number of people think differently.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
User avatar
Bobby Archer
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 pm
Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Anton Gaist » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:02 pm

It's as nice as theories go, but it has two major flaws. First is the fact the sword was not CGI like the 3 known Arkentools, and the second that a sword is not a tool. I could speculate that a Tool would be instantly recognizable by a caster such as Maggie, Sizemore or Wanda, but there's no proof backing that up.

So far we have a hammer, pliers and a dish. Now if we're speculating, from this line:

Erfworld Wiki wrote:It is also worth noting that one of the earliest patents for a shovel design was given to James B. Sizemore.


and given the other references in the same page, it's not too far-fetched to assume another Arkentool is the Arkenshovel, with golems as its related unit.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby shneekeythelost » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:29 am

raphfrk wrote:
Maldeus wrote:I absolutely love this theory.


Also, Parson's sword could re-pop "properly" forged and ready for tempering (in say the donut of doom lake)


With a mysterious hand lifting it out of the lava lake like the whole Authorian legend "Lady of the Lake"? That'd be cool, but I don't think the sword is the next arkentool.
shneekeythelost
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:03 am

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Maldeus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:58 pm

It depends on your definition of "tool." A sword is not your typical toolbox fair, no, but it could still count if you go by the definition of "a man made thing used for practical purposes that is not a machine."
Image
Maldeus
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Bobby Archer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:18 pm

I wouldn't count a sword as a tool, myself. A plowshare, yes.

Also, thanks Anton, for bringing up the shovel connection. I hadn't heard that before (mostly since I rarely browse the wiki). Eeeeenteresting.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
User avatar
Bobby Archer
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 pm
Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bladestorm and 3 guests