Need some help with a game for some friends.

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Need some help with a game for some friends.

Postby 333 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:22 am

Alright, so I know I'm a nOOb, But I wanted to run a game similar to Erfworld, but some things would be diferent. I am writing this game for some friends and I but I need some help, and thats where you guys come in!

I was going to borrow some rules from some other games that are running (although they look kinda dead) and then tweak them for my needs. One of the main things I wanna tweak is the magic system. When I started working on this idea I was converting Erfworld caster's into more serious caster's, because none of my friends read Erfworld because A: they don't read webcomics, B: the one that does took one look at Erfworld and decided it would rot his brain (his loss).

Another thing I want to incorporate is Unit Research, so players can adapt to the changing tides of war. How I wanted this to work was that any city(of a certain level) with a warlord, overlord or caster could pay a certain fee to develop a new unit, the price depending on what abilities the unit would have when completed. For a unit to have magic ability the city performing the research would have to have a caster of the appropriate school.

I also have some issues with the players. One of my friends is overly creative, and in a logic based game he comes up with unorthodox uses for EVERYTHING. Another one of my friends accuses him of god-modding. I was originally going to give the game very strict mathmatical rules, but then i started wondering, what would the mathmatical formula be for what Parson did? So, one thing I need help with is how can I ensure that the game is fair for everyone, while also allowing creative, out of the box thinking, like uncroaking a volcano? (serioulsy, who else would have thought of that?)

Finally, I don't want my players to have all the fun! I want to play to, so I was going to play a nation of mercenaries, similar to Charlescomm, and only attack targets that I am paid to. My problem is, how should I run a mercenary nation? Should I give myself some sort of advantage so that I can provide troops to my 'employers' sooner, or should I play by the same rules as everyone else?

Anyway, those are my main problems, and any help would be appreciated. If we get it all worked out and it goes well with my friends, I may host one here as well.

Also, before I forget I also was wondering if anyone knows a program that can make hex maps quickly and easily, or I'm gonna end up using paint...

Re: Need some help with a game for some friends.

Postby HerbieRai » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:11 pm

333 wrote:I was going to borrow some rules from some other games that are running (although they look kinda dead) and then tweak them for my needs.

As far as I remember, we have 3 "systems" that we've used, although I'm a bit of a noob as well. If your wanting to play as a full faction, then the erfworld empires set work. The most developed rules are the "battle for ____" series (includes tale of two cities), but these require a GM and have only been used for a 2 sided conflict without the diplomacy or city building/ upgrading. The last type is siralus' game, which may work best for you. I wasn't involved with that game, so someone else would have to enlighten you to the ups and downs of that system. It does require a GM though.

333 wrote:One of the main things I wanna tweak is the magic system

I think only siralus has attempted to really dig into magic.

333 wrote:Another thing I want to incorporate is Unit Research

Since we're playing these by posting, its a little difficult to keep track of all the different unit types. Seems very easlier implemented though.

333 wrote:how can I ensure that the game is fair for everyone, while also allowing creative, out of the box thinking

Only way I see this is through a GM, especially if your going to allow spell creation and caster linking. Even then it would be hard work to balance new ideas out.

333 wrote:how should I run a mercenary nation? Should I give myself some sort of advantage so that I can provide troops to my 'employers' sooner, or should I play by the same rules as everyone else?

I think you should give yourself the best city on the map, and no fog of war (since that would be impossible), and maybe lower upkeep for units (this may tip the scale too much). Then have the dissadvantage where you can't build any new cities. Other than that, play by the rules; otherwise it becomes a game of "who can bribe 333" or "who doesn't get on 333's bad side wins"
HerbieRai

Postby Nihila » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 pm

HerbieRai wrote:I think only siralus has attempted to really dig into magic.
Sinrus also wrote up a giant spell list, and Ehbobo revised it.
Ehbobo's version:
https://docs.google.com/View?id=dhnqc944_208dwxrqxft

And, HerbieRai (and 333), there is a fourth system--Kaed/Ehbobo/Dark Arbiter's systems. Look for "Erfworld Game," "Another Erf-Game," and "War of the Arkentools." The third is at the top of the second page currently.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby 333 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:44 pm

I was looking at Kaed's system, and will most likely use it for the most part, adding in tid-bits here and there. I'm still reading the rules for some of the others, so...

Anyway, the only other concern I have is a quick, easy way to make a hex map. Anyone know a good program that is free? Otherwise it looks like I'm gonna spend a lot of time in paint building a decent sized map. I was thinking that for 3-5 players 50X50-100X100 would work, depending on which of my friends express an interest.

Postby Nihila » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:41 am

Hexographer is supposed to be good.

Also, if you could post the changes you're planning on making, that would be a big help--the Erfworld games are a collective effort, so we're always curious to know what works. :D
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby 333 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:53 am

will do, once I get enough time to type everything up. And now I am off to google hexographer, and then I might edit in the map I'm gonna use, as well as the In Game back story for the area, if anyone is interested in that sort of flavor text.

Postby Nihila » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Okay, I have a suggestion for the Unit Research thing:
Let them produce Magic Items to have certain effects. Rather than have new units, just have them use Magic Items with some limitations--I'm thinking that the Items would stop working after 10 turns, or only one can be used at a time, or something.

These Items could grant Specials, but would cost Schmuckers(or gold) or Juice(or Mana or whatever).
Nihila

Postby Twoy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:44 am

For Unit Research if you use the Infantry, Archer, Scout, Special A, B, C, D, Knight class units, you could allow the player to research one extra of each class. That way you will not have too many different types of units.
Twoy

Postby 333 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Originally I was going to allow each side a 'base set' of units, a complete set of infantry, scout, archer, etc. Then I was going to allow a city to research new units, which afterwards could only be popped in that city, unless other cities researched the same unit. However, I like both of your ideas, and may incorporate both of them in the final system.

Also, I was working the other day on my own magic system. It works similar to the erfworld system, except their are four elements instead of three(instead of Matter, Life, and Motion I'm using Mind, Body, Soul, and Void) and four Axises(is that a word? Spell check thinks so...)(Instead of Erf, Fate, and Numbers, I'm using Space, Time, Numbers, and an unnamed fourth axis) This is mainly due to personal preference and won't effect the actual game mechanics as much, so should be easy to replace for a purely Erfworld game.

All of your favorite casters from Erfworld will be converted into more 'serious fantasy' casters, again this is purely based on personal preference.

Croakmancer=Necromancer: Allows for the creation of undead units, I'm also going to introduce 'Graveyards' as a continuous source for sides that rely heavily on Necromantic tactics. I'm thinking necromancers create cheap, weak units, but can produce them faster than living units. Basically "Power in numbers"
Foolamancer=Illusionist: Pretty much the same. Changes the way that opponents perceive the battlefield.
Dirtamancers=Geomancers: Creation of Golems, and the manipulation of earth. I'm also incorporating other elementalists, such as hydro-, pyro- and aero- mancers.
Basically anything that has a common stereotype in common fantasy will be converted.

Mathamancers have me stumped. I was going to include them, using a similar effect as in Sinrus's/Ehbobo's spell list. I'm merely having trouble coming up with a decent name =P. I came up with Arithamancer, but it just doesn't roll off the tongue like I would like. Moneymancers need a decent name as well, because I'm using the "Each city has its own treasury" rule, and would like to provide players a way to quickly move funds from one city to another.

Another aspect that I believe I'll be introducing (because I've not seen it, although I may have missed it) is tundra as an environment. It will have -1 move, while also dealing turn-by-turn damage to units who aren't prepared for the cold (desert will have a similar effect).

I haven't had time to check, but has anyone done anything with natural allies yet? I was going to have them randomly spawn when a hex was entered, and if your stack had a warlord you could try and convince them to join you. They'd either agree, disagree, or respond with violence. Stacks without warlords would attack automatically, and once a side of natural allies had been attacked, they would no longer work with that side.

I was also going to have natural ally production be automatic based on how much money a side gives to their natural allies(in addition to upkeep). Basically natural allies would act like a brand new single variety of unit, which popped faster than normal units and had unique abilities. The down side would be an increased price, and the inability to choose when to pop a warlord(I was going to make warlords pop at random, similar to the caster system).

So far I'm still in the planning stages, as I haven't had a whole lot of 'me' time to work on typing all of this up in an official format. I'm only posting this up so you guys can see that some form of progress (if you can call it that) is being made. I also promise to make sure that anything I come up with can be easily added to a more canon erfworld game without to much hassle, despite all my personal touches for this personal game.

Random Other Stuff:
Was toying with the idea of randomly spawning 'Ruins' which could be searched continuously for treasure, with the chance of finding anything decreasing with each find. Treasure would include Magic Items, currency, and maybe monsters which could be fought for XP or tamed by an appropriate caster.
Random thought: What if everyone teams up against a single player? Would it be fair to offer that player a discount on mercenaries so they have a fighting chance, or should I sit back, and laugh at the slaughter?

Anyway, until next time, 333 is off to dream up some more ideas.

Postby Nihila » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:45 am

For Mathamancers, perhaps the name "Numeromancers"?
For Moneymancers, maybe "Finacomancers"?

And, nitpick here, the plural of "axis" is "axes," it's one of the obscure plural rules that no one cares about. Except me.
Nihila

Postby Twoy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:06 pm

I like the idea of ruins, and random spawning could work, i.e. a previously hidden ruin might come to light after a storm or just because a particularly observant warlord notices a line across a field that was part of a wall.

I think having a few ruins evenly scattered around the map at the beginning of the game to make sure that each player has an equal chance to explore a ruin would be a good idea.
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:17 pm

Dark Arbiter had natural allies in his game, but I did not encounter any. Not much in the way of rules were available to the players.

4.Natural Allies
1.A side which cannot build cities, and must support itself through farming, mining, etc.
2.May ally with a non-Natural side

I think Kaed had them also, but it's been so long since I read that thread that I cannot remember for sure.
Twoy

Return to Your Games