Book 2 – Page 44

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 44

Postby paint » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:29 am

zilfallon wrote:
gd1 wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed this, but the shredder gauntlet and staff on and in one of his hands are red whereas his mathamancy bracer and the sword (andumaril from lord of the rings?) scabbard/hilt on his other side are blue. Is it a balance between something?

Maybe it's Signamancy :)

the 3-d glases were optical red blue .....
maybe it's a thing with parson
and yeah effectively some sort of yin/yan neutral.
paint

Postby paint » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:39 am

ftl wrote:
kreszantas wrote:The solid running theory on the 'boop' involves the restriction put on Erfworld during book 1 for its run on giantitp. It is a known fact that Rich does not put any colorful language into his books and other website materials and it is strictly enforced on his website as a 'vulgarity free' webcomic. There have been many commments on this before and this was Parson's expression of breaking free of that restriction. Made for a good gag through out the book on why the erfworldians understood the 'concept' of the boop but not its meaning. - Do not take this for canon but a huge tinfoil hat therom :0

Well, yeah, that's obviously the out-of-story reason for why the boop filter was there and why it was only broken at the end.

But it was worked in as part of the story - so there's also an in-story reason and mechanic for how and why it works the way it does.

i think where it is part of the story is Parson just like he has intended in his own turn based game ..
is breaking the world to win.
he stated that he created a game you couldn't win within the rules
so you had to out smart the world of the game to beat it ..he is breaking erf world
while erf world is trying to break/mold him...

i say go back to the initial spell cast by wanda and see how the world is trying to conform Parson to the spells ideal. both physically, magically and mentally

and in the end it will be a mutual relationship almost parasitic.
paint

Postby sleepymancer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 am

ok, for a completely different direction in the conversation, is that a cute little park down at the base of the tower? Or do you reckon it is something more resource based like an eel-pond? Whichever it is, I do love the tiny details in environment as well as in eyes, arms and armour.

Incidentally, (sorry for not quoting properly) wouldn't a mutually dependent relationship be 'symbiotic'? I think 'almost parasitic' would only make sense if only one side was benefiting. It seems to me that both Parson and Erfworld/spellcasters/spellcreators got, at least, what they thought they wanted.

All Best
T
I tend to witter on, produce copious typos and run off on nonsensical tangents. If I've done this here, please forgive me :D
I also get a bit obstinate and argumentative. If I'm not budging or understanding your counterargument call me on my manners
sleepymancer

Postby nth » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:12 pm

paint wrote:...he is breaking erf world
while erf world is trying to break/mold him...

i say go back to the initial spell cast by wanda and see how the world is trying to conform Parson to the spells ideal. both physically, magically and mentally

and in the end it will be a mutual relationship almost parasitic.

I wonder if the story "ends" with Parson on the verge of dominating erfworld, and realizing that he's been so changed by the game that he *can't* go home again.

If Charlie originated in Parson's world, mightn't the same thing have happened to him, hundreds of turns before? Couldn't that explain his consistent mercenary behavior?

Might the same be in store for Parson?
nth

Postby Dr Pepper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:46 pm

build6 wrote:what happens when, because Parson is Parson, his side doesn't use underlings for sex etc. - doesn't basically do the things erfworld "expects" to be done/is normal, and the various other sides decide this is an aberration that needs to be exterminated because it's making their own people unhappy ("I'd rather automatically disband than live this way. Heck, there's a side down south where their overlord DOES allow them to live like this!" We do know, that erf-lings do question what life is all about - Janis, Tramennis etc. - everybody with any introspection, basically), and there's an anti-Parson coalition as a result? Then the only way for Parson to live the way he does is to win over the entire world so he can establish his rules everywhere :-)

On Earth, Napoleon kept smashing coalitions formed against him. But they just kept getting reformed bigger.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Previous

Return to Reactions