Book 2 – Text Updates 033

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 033

Postby Raza » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Slately is still very much a fool, just a better explained one, and through the flattering framework of his own perception.

He's suspicious for all the wrong reasons, even if it's currently leading to what we think is the right conclusion. His grasp of signamancy seems binary, and inadequate in explaining even what little the reader has the chance to know. He's neither curious nor good at reasoning, and compensates with falsehood so that everything keeps running as close as possible to what he's familiar with.

In this update he's probably right, and showing kindness. This paints him in a good light, but not by virtue of good judgement.
Raza

Postby badninja » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:25 pm

This is interesting Jetstone is pinning its hopes on a diplomat who is a very good at his job. I feel that this negotiation will be nothing short of spectacular on both sides, but I feel that they are not fully ready for Parson. I wonder if having lost 20+ heirs would be considered a bad sign, I mean come on even loosing a full heir in his first battle that cannot be good. This battle will have its surprises, like Parson showing up, but Charlie is right the outcome is almost a certainty GK will win.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:26 pm

Erfworld is a depressing place. One look into the mirror and you see your own self. One look, and you know if you're a good or a bad person, and there is nothing you can do about it. That's all you are, and all you ever will be.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Guppy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 pm

At the throne room, they did not pause, but they gathered up a large entourage of courtiers and nobles. The Royals spake not, while the rest of the lot formed an excited, babbling wake.

The First Battle of Bull Run was one of the earliest major engagements of the American Civil War. At the time, it was expected that the Union would win an easy victory. Civilians gathered at the sidelines eagerly, even bringing picnic baskets to the anticipated spectacle. When the easy victory turned to a rout, the spectators fled in a tangled panic -- taking stories of what they had seen with them.

Jetstone's mob of courtiers and nobles will make great witnesses, assuming they survive.
Guppy

Postby mortissimus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Markidactyl wrote:
effataigus wrote:Interesting... that line about sending Tramennis off somewhere distant and not caring much about the result (and the bit after that) certainly seem to imply that the Royals are happy to war amongst one another just for the lulz... which I guess we knew, but I didn't think it was true to the extent implied. I suppose that if random profiteering warfare were the norm, then it's no surprise that half of the world would gang up on Stanley. They actually have reasons to want him dead.

I think, especially if the rivalries that Jetstone and Don King have with a few other sides prove anything, that the big Royal sides are happy to war amongst themselves to a certain extent and limit. With Carpool, Jitteri, and Haggar, and their respective rivals, battles were fought for a long, long time, as little more than low-scale skirmishes. Haggar and Jetstone traded Pantstown, a little, petty level 1, back and forth. Neither made a supreme effort to hold it, neither committed large amounts of resources to continuing the fight after the other had taken it. It struck me as almost a pastime for the both of them. I wonder how many sides actually fight to the death? If that's how it generally goes it says a lot more about Jetstones attempt to completely wipe out stanly, and Gobwin Knob's coup de grace of Uniroyal and the attempted one of Jetstone.

I see them playing as defensive computer sides generally does. They have enough defense in most cities to hold them against most enemies and mainly commits their surplus to war. Then you get this pattern of trading a border city back and forth. Human players tend to put more of their eggs in the same basket and do all-out attacks. Then again human players tend to care about winning, not survival of their side or a particular unit.
mortissimus

Postby oslecamo2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:Erfworld is a depressing place. One look into the mirror and you see your own self. One look, and you know if you're a good or a bad person, and there is nothing you can do about it. That's all you are, and all you ever will be.

Actualy, we've seen people change in Erfworld. Jillian went from barbarian mercenary to Hawt queen with her own side and agenda, for example.

Stanley was once a lowly piker. Now he's an overlord with an attuned tool and his personal arm of dwagons. And he's geting smarter, little by little.

Wanda was once a backstabbing manipulator croackmancer. Now she's a backstabbing manipulator croackmancer with an attuned tool! Wait a sec...

Sizemore was once just GK's handymen to repair stuff and make golems while trying to stay away from trouble. Now he's a combat machine that leads his constructs into assault and blows up mountains!

Hamster is the supreme example of this. From fat geek whitout a life to mighty heavy warlord that cares about his troops.

There's always a light at the end of the tunnel!
oslecamo2

Postby mortissimus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:50 pm

Prince Tramennis was the sixteenth of Slately's twenty-three sons and daughters, popped at a time when they were flush with princes and princesses but generally short of warlords. Therefore, he had not allotted the extra turns to pop this one as an heir. One look at his scrawny frame, and Slately had sent him off to a far-flung campaign to the northeast, not much caring about the outcome.

I interpret this as a loud and clear indication that you can have more then one heir. Possibly relevant to the question of if Ossomer is still a Jetstone heir.
mortissimus

Postby HailGreen28 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:27 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:Erfworld is a depressing place. One look into the mirror and you see your own self. One look, and you know if you're a good or a bad person, and there is nothing you can do about it. That's all you are, and all you ever will be.
Not true! Slately said himself he changed in appearance/stature/etc as he became more sedentary.

We've seen Jillian change, as Vinny described, to be more royal-like. And big difference between Parson's early appearance and now. Wanda's changed too, though it's debatable whether it's good or not in her case, and that was due at least in part to Tool attunement.
HailGreen28

Postby DevilDan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:07 pm

So Slately isn't completely without some appreciation of Tramennis' talents.

Titas? hahahahahaha
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Raza » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:42 pm

mortissimus wrote:
Prince Tramennis was the sixteenth of Slately's twenty-three sons and daughters, popped at a time when they were flush with princes and princesses but generally short of warlords. Therefore, he had not allotted the extra turns to pop this one as an heir. One look at his scrawny frame, and Slately had sent him off to a far-flung campaign to the northeast, not much caring about the outcome.

I interpret this as a loud and clear indication that you can have more then one heir. Possibly relevant to the question of if Ossomer is still a Jetstone heir.

Is it? There hasn't been an heir of Jetstone since Ossomer, so if he isn't heir now it wouldn't have been because of that limit.

Also, wouldn't Ansom be next in line, if inheritance worked post inter-side decryption? 'Be funny if Jillian suddenly had an overlord in her marshmallow clutches.
Raza

Postby JohnATallon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 pm

I like the subtle signamancy with Trammenis's chin. It has developed more since he was named chief warlord (compare when we first see him on the bridge to the last couple of images with him).
JohnATallon

Postby BCCroaker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 pm

oslecamo2 wrote:

If you can see a light at the end of tunnel, it just means there is train coming the other way.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Nargrakhan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Parson Gotti, Lord Hamster, Destroyer of Mountains.

That actually has nice ring to it... but I'd rather it be: Parson Gotti, Lord Hamster, Destroyer of Worlds.

:twisted:
Nargrakhan
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby paint » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:14 pm

BCCroaker wrote:So Signamancy changes you physically, so your body and appearance represent your character and usual behaviour (at least I think that's what Slately's saying about himself). I wonder if this is affecting Parson?

why bother wondering about what is stated as fact?
paint

Postby paint » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 pm

BCCroaker wrote:
oslecamo2 wrote:

If you can see a light at the end of tunnel, it just means there is train coming the other way.

it also means in change effects outwardly . and this has been twice referenced now , also when Jillian became queen
paint

Postby CnSvnc » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:23 pm

A slinking servant girl tugged on a golden rope.

Servant? Last I heard, there were no civillians in Erf. Do I detect a faint trail of retconjuration?
Other than that, I eagerly await the resolution.
CnSvnc

Postby Hiai » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Great update!

I love this peek into Jetstone's past. As always, the Royals' names are hilarious and telling. Perhaps that's the audio version of Signamancy?

Speaking of Signamancy... some are saying that Signamancy is what we would consider natural progression on earth..i.e. sedentary lifestyle+age= fat white king. However, I personally think there's more to this signamancy, and that's why it's being made such a large part of this update.

The key thing for me is that Slately mentions the being fat and white thing as being Signamancy because he only ever led one battle. Okay, so far being sedentary explains that. But he ALSO said he SHRUNK. One doesn't lose height because one doesn't get out much.

I think perhaps we ought to be taking Signamancy much more literally than we have been. After all, Jetstone's heirs have all been extremely true-to-form, as well as it's King. Jillian changed when she became Queen. Even Parson is changing as he becomes more fierce.

Perhaps looking at the illustrations for each character will give us a better ability to predict their nature/actions. More telling would be seeing the change and progression of their appearance over time (obviously subject to the Jamie/Xin changeover limitation).

Hmmm.....does Sizemore seem a little taller now than he used to be? :D
Hiai

Postby Dr Pepper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Incorrect. Look in the mirror every day and you will see if you are progressing or slipping back in your goal to become the person you want to be. Or perhaps have to be. Suppose Jetstone got blasted down from an empire to a mere 1 hex principality, with no units left but Slately and a few stabbers. Out of necessity, Slately would have to appoint himself chief warlord and go raiding. If he were successful, he'd start gaining combat levels and leadership bonuses. And that would be reflected in his signimancy, he'd get bigger and more muscular, maybe even develop a rugged cheek line and a big cleft chin.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Plasmabunny » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:29 pm

CnSvnc wrote:

Servant? Last I heard, there were no civillians in Erf. Do I detect a faint trail of retconjuration?

No civilians, but there are servants. The servant girl in Jetstone probably has similiar duties to the trolls in gobwin knob
Plasmabunny

Postby paint » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:30 pm

CnSvnc wrote:

are the twolls not used as servants in Gobwin knob?
are archerons not the unit of choice in charliescomm?
would not a "human" dominated city have human servants to wait on the royals.?
paint

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions