The Shadow of Anvelis (PbP Game)

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: The Shadow of Anvelis (PbP Game)

Postby jioan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:14 am

Zorbo hears the guard's question and says, "There was one, but it jumped overboard before we could get to it." Zorbo looked down at himself and Jagg and they both appeared unharmed. Then he looked at the deck and saw the carnage from the battle. Zorbo noticed that the creatures were sentient because they carried weapons that had to have been crafted by a sentient creature. That worried him because the last one had gotten away. If there were more of them nearby then another attack might come in larger numbers. Perhaps they'll even bring better weapons next time. This isn't over yet. Not until one of has been destroyed.
jioan

Postby Skyrar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 am

"Thanks.." Corlen pressed the words, heavily panting, dagger still in Hand and stared at Vesk through a mist of bloody sweat that was streaming down his forehand. His hand was clutched against the side, blood dripping through his fingers. "That w.. was.. quick."
True Neutral Human Barbarian/Bard (2nd/1st Level)
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby TheCake » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:43 am

Garret goes over to Captain Brathon and asks if he's ok
TheCake

Postby Lothmar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:53 am

"Well, might as well use this for the next couple of minutes until it fades." He adds picking up the remains of the fish body and finding an open location an equal distance from all opponents to leave the body. "Alright people, no time for gawking. If the captain wasn't bleeding he'd tell you that himself. Get the injured together for treatment with our resident giant father and anyone else of skill aboard." He adds jokingly. "All those in good enough shape afterwords, help me get these buggers in a pile so we can scavenge anything worth while, it's doubtful but im going to scan them and their persons for magical auras."

~Casts detect magic as he's grabbing up bodies and throwing them into the pile, when they're all in a pile he'll concentrate and focus, until then it's casual one round glances at each body he picks up just to see if he detects anything~

After thinking for a moment. "Captain, what do you want done with the dead? Im not sure a burial at sea is appropriate; at least not for our own, lest we encourage these scaly bastards to keep following us for free meals, if they eat meat that is... " He adds the last part almost curious.

As he hauls a second body past the injured with his one strong arm, "I think we should add a station of at least two bowmen up in the rigging or the crows nest to every patrol; I believe they can keep a better eye on the water surrounding the ship without exposing themselves to being pulled overboard to an enemy who can obviously clear the rail with ease. As well as provide us support if another engagement occurs." He adds in suggestion in a courteous manner to the captain.
Last edited by Lothmar on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lothmar

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:21 pm

"That w.. was.. quick," The man said as Vesk joined his soldier to check on him.

"Yes, it was nothing like I expected." On the one hand, he had managed to hit two of the creatures with his harpoons, which is much better than he's assumed he could manage- not that he'd say so now. He had killed one creature, striking it while it lay defenseless... it didn't sit well, but he let himself hope the things weren't as intelligent as they might seem, or at least that they were evil beyond negotiation.

"Aaagh!" The pain in his arm caught up to him and he cradled it gingerly, looking about. He spotted a soldier on the deck, bleeding profusely. "That man needs help! Is there a surgeon?" About that time the enlarged cleric began calling for the wounded, and Vesk grabbed another soldier to help his partner carry the wounded man to the cleric, making sure he was helped first.

- Once the wounded man is tended to, Vesk turned to his comrade in arms, saying, "Impressive work. You may have saved two lives today. Perhaps far more."

(What's his name? Vesk probably got it from him while they were on duty before the attack.) While waiting for treatment (he will insist on being last as his wound is least serious), Vesk will re-introduce himself to Corlen.

"The Gods smiled on us today. Least they could do, really, considering the circumstances. At any rate, I'm glad you're well. What was your name, again? And what has brought you here, to this ship? Why were you on the docks last night?"
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Skyrar » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Corlen could not help much, as he was severly wounded and for the most time just leanend against the reassuring wood of the mast.

"My name is Corlen. I'm from Cale. I came to Dunemore to.. hunt." The blood has dried on the face of the young man, who discovers that despite his dislike for people in general, it is quite relieving to talk to them at times. "Thank you. I owe you. I got scared and..." he shrugs. "I never saw a battle like this. I guess we were in luck, like you said." A grimace, wounds tend to hurt like hell in a salt-water-rich enviroment.

"Buuut... I don't know. We might as well be dead. With all the land gone and such."
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby chrono » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:06 pm

Franklyn gets the blood off his weapon with a sharp sideways swipe. He sheathes his sword, glances at the general direction of the last creature which escaped and looks around trying to see if anyone is in a critical condition. Then he heads toward the soldier which Vesk indicated, nods at him and nods toward Drake: "Good initiative, Drake. We need to get the wounded someplace where they would be safe and easily cared for, but do not move those who are in a critical condition. Is there anybody else who needs urgent attention?"

If somebody appears to be 'dying' (a quick heal check if needed) , Franklyn channels one cure Minor wounds to stabilize them.

As Franklyn examines the injuries of the men, he speaks to nobody in particular: "By Diamitriis' will I can help with treating the wounded, but after all I am but one man - it would take no less than a few days of constant care for everybody to fully recover. Would there happen to be anybody else adept at healing?". As Drake mentions the dead, Franklyn looks saddened for a moment "There's a good reason for doing sea burials while at sea - it is always hard to part with the dead but we just can not afford to have carcasses spreading disease on board. We also really need to find out more about these odd creatures...", Franklyn shakes his head barely noticeably, "...it just doesn't make sense. Not to be pessimistic, but if they just chipped away at the bottom of our hull they would sink this ship in a matter of hours and there would be virtually nothing we could do to avoid it. So my only guess is that they wanted someone on this ship alive, but even then I have no idea why they didn't attack in larger numbers or at least throw a couple of dozen spears before boarding."
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:03 pm

"To hunt? Hunt what? Rats, raccoons, or pigeons?" Vesk laughed. "You owe him," he nodded at his assigned soldier, "Without him, I never make it over to you," he sighed, "I think this was new for many of us, but I wouldn't worry about dying - that will come in its own time. Well met, Corlen."

Turning his attention to the others, he said, "No offense to the Prince, but the only person of value on this ship is the old woman. Though I find it hard to believe they knew that," he said, indicating the dead fishmen.
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Gerwulf » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:58 am

Captain Brathon looked down at Garret. “Yes, I’m fine thank you. Help tend to the wounded. I see a few of our number that were not so lucky.” He turns to watch as Drake piled a few more of the bodies together, “Yes, we ought to have a few archers on the crows nests.” He paused and looked around briefly, “You.” He pointed at Corlen, “You were a hunter? Perhaps you could take the high watch from now on.” He turned to survey the scene again before addressing Franklyn, “I believe you’re the only healer among us. Render what aid you can.” He paused a moment and said a small prayer under his breath then murmured to himself as he headed below decks, “ I’ll need to find a few others good with a bow.”

Franklyn surveyed the scene of chaos before him and saw the soldier clinging to life; he channeled the power of Diamitriis and sealed the worst of his wounds though the man remained unconscious. Many off duty guards and volunteers remained on deck, wary of heading below least the creatures returned. Their caution, though warranted was for naught. The creatures did not return. Prince Tevin ordered most of the bodies tossed overboard, though he had two of the creatures kept on board to be studies for as long as they would keep.
Gerwulf

Postby TheCake » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 am

Garret replies "I'm afraid I was never any good at healing perhaps there is something else i could do?"
TheCake

Postby Skyrar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:26 am

Corlen waited until it was his turn to get healed. He would then sooner or later get up in the "crows nest" with his bow, as the Prince had commanded. Before that, he had smiled at Vesk for friendly words and vowed to keep his thoughts of impending doom and the fact that they were all screwed and did not nearly have enough supplies to last long and all other 123 commentaries on the hopelessness of their current situation for himself from now on. He didn't want the others to think of him as a coward.
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby chrono » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Franklyn stood over the body of the unconscious soldier. The battle was over and nobody was in immediate danger of dying, so he had a few moments to look around. Too bad that the dead soldiers were beyond his help - the cleric had hoped to be able to save at least one more of them. "Ah well, it can not be helped", he murmured to himself, "that's war for you. And you", he spoke to the unconscious soldier, "have a good soldier's fortune, even though you might not think you are very fortunate right now". With that Franklyn channels his powers again (CLW on the soldier).

Turning his attention to the others, he said, "No offense to the Prince, but the only person of value on this ship is the old woman. Though I find it hard to believe they knew that," he said, indicating the dead fishmen.

As Vesk says that, Franklyn turns sharply around and approaches him with a determined stride. "Do you know something about this attack, or are your words just empty assumptions?"
Franklyn raises his voice and goes into a stern and reproachful monologue without really expecting an answer:
"What do you really know about the old woman? Who is she, what is her involvement in all this and what further deeds is she capable of? In that respect, what do you know of the intentions or needs of our attackers? Do you know the story of everybody on this ship? It is entirely possible that someone has or knows something that is important to these sea dwellers.
As for your disrespectful words about the prince, I would like to remind you that in all likelihood we are alive right now because our whereabouts coincided with his at the time of...", Franklyn struggled to find a word for what happened "...of that inferno." He was silent just enough to almost give the impression that he was done, but then carries on: "Or do you know anything about the will of the gods or the forces of fate which chose exactly him, his men and a handful of people around them to be the only ones who survived?". Franklyn stares at Vesk with his hands on his hips, expecting an answer.

Later Franklyn takes his time to examine everybody else who was in need of assistance and bandages up their wounds. "I will have to change those in a few hours and once again before you go to bed and then in the morning. For those with deeper cuts it will take me some more time to make sure your wounds don't get infected. So let me know where I can find you...", Franklyn shrugs, "It would be a lot easier for me if that doesn't turn out to be all over the ship, so at least those in need of more intense care should be taken to rest at the same place."
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Lothmar » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:46 pm

After gathering up any salvagable equipment from the creatures bodies and searching them for any significance (runes, crafters markings, heritage of region created (ex: sometimes blades from blah, have differences from blades from blah, Etc) on weaponry and armor.) by actual eye and mystical scanning (detect magic cast last post) he binds up the gear into a convenient bundle so he can haul it down below. "I'll take these down below to the armory and Frank, dont be so hard on him...We're all a little on edge, just dont say anything you'll regret;" He leans in to add in a concerned tone. "We need to keep relationships at least nuetral, we cant risk angering people and making enemies thus factioning the lords crew and civillians." with that he continues below deck, not giving him time to respond.

~If there are no items of note on the fish people, magical or mundane he will turn in all goods to the armory~

He searches for the supply officer to deliver the package. "Excuse me, i'd like to check in these odds and ends. Also, I was interested in inquiring if you perhaps possessed any specific arcane or divine magical articles that could be spared in case of emergency. Scrolls, wands and rods? I'd like to have an extra edge in case a harsher attack occurs. Mundane equipment would be appreciated too, im sure our healer could use an extra first aid kit with all the work he's going to be doing the next few days on our injured."
Lothmar

Postby chrono » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Franklyn nods at Drake as he passes by. "You are of course right and I am aware of the consequences of my actions. But I have to protect what I know is right - if you wish I can tell you more later."
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:25 am

Vesk grinned as the two men ran through their speeches without stopping and the second man hustled off.

Slowly, quietly, Vesk stepped gloser and smiled broadly into the healer's face.

"If I knew something about the attack, I would have said something to that effect. You surmised they might have wanted someone alive; I simply commented on who that could possibly be, while mentioning I thought that unlikely. Now whose words are empty assumptions?

As for the woman, I know nothing of her nor her motivations; neither do I know her connections to anyone here. All I know is she is someone who calls to ancient gods in a dead tongue and receives a response; that she was able to protect this ship and a quarter acre of docks from what was probably the most destructive force of magic in recorded history, and lived through the strain. If you can argue anyone on this ship is more important, I'd like to hear it.

As for the Prince, while I said I meant no offense, his value as a prisoner comes from his noble title, and his claim to his throne - lost throne, I should say. These fishmen probably knew nothing of him and could not pick him out from the rest of us. Even if they could, the only ransom we could pay is what's on this ship - and if they could have him, they could already have taken what they wanted. But that's from their perspective. From ours, the valuable people are those with rare skills - spellcasters, those who can navigate and sail and repair this ship. Women. People like these soldiers, the Prince, and myself - we're expendable. That's not disrispectful - that's fact. Right now the Prince rules on memories - the shared respect for the law of a nation that no longer exists. That, and the strength of arms of his soldiers, whose numbers are already dwindling, and who he pays with an extra half a loaf of bread. Make no mistake, that bread is valuable, and its value will only rise, but there are those who will cease to accept it as his to offer and begin to see it as theirs to take. Our great hope is that we find another source of food before that day comes."

Holding up the torn sleeve of his shirt, Vesk offers his wounded arm to Franklyn to be cleaned and bound.
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Gerwulf » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:04 am

Lothmar wrote:~If there are no items of note on the fish people, magical or mundane he will turn in all goods to the armory~

He searches for the supply officer to deliver the package. "Excuse me, i'd like to check in these odds and ends. Also, I was interested in inquiring if you perhaps possessed any specific arcane or divine magical articles that could be spared in case of emergency. Scrolls, wands and rods? I'd like to have an extra edge in case a harsher attack occurs. Mundane equipment would be appreciated too, im sure our healer could use an extra first aid kit with all the work he's going to be doing the next few days on our injured."

(The only item of note found on the creatures was a necklace carved of shells and held on a woven cord of seaweed, the depiction struck Drake as being remakably similar to the view from the docks when the red light first struck the shield the old woman had put up.")

The suply officer, an old retired blacksmith who'd been drafted into the position from the survivors, looked up at Drake, "Eh?" he serveyed the assembled goods and nodded, "Put em over there. I'll get a few first aid kits for yeh." he ambled off while gesturing to a small wodden rack mounted on the side of the ship. he returned a few moments later with an armfull of stuff. "Got a few kits for yeh, and a potion or two out of a chest back there. not rightly sure what the potions do though." He handed the items to drake. Drake took a quick look at the potions; curative potions for sure, though their potency would likely be diminished from sitting too long in the hold of the ship, the bottles looked well aged. (CLW) "Dont have any magic stuff down here. yeh might try asking the prince, most of that stuff would be kept in the captains quarters anyway." he sat back down and began examining one of the blades Drake had brought him
Gerwulf

Postby Lothmar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:31 am

"Much appreciated," Drake adds recieving the supplies and exiting. He casually muses over the necklace on the way back up the ship, he stops for a couple of minutes to check in on the old woman. ~He knocks twice and waits for a reply~

~If no reply enter in a minute and check her condition before delivering the supplies~
~If there is a reply, enter and begin conversation upon permission~
Lothmar

Postby chrono » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Franklyn shook his head and sighed. "There is much we don't know about our current situation, which is worrying. There is no point in speculations, although most of us would be tempted to have our minds at ease, even if it is a false truth. I do not intend to argue with you, but I will give you something to think about. As near as I could tell, the old woman risked her life in order to protect the prince. Tevin doubtlessly has...", Franklyn pauses, "... and surely had people much stronger than he is under his command. Those people could be fearsome warriors or powerful magic wielders and are important in their own right, but they would gladly lay their lives to protect him. The fact that the old woman nearly died to save the prince may make him the single most important person alive today."
Franklyn takes a small but heavy step forward, his armor giving out a loud *clunk* noise, his gaze fixed at Vesk. The healer takes the hand and expects it carefully. "It won't give you much trouble after this", he says while wrapping the wound carefully, "but you should probably come to have those bandages changed like I already said".

Once the bandaging is done, Franklyn lets go of the hand, takes a step back and gives it a long professional look. Seemingly content with the result, he addresses Vesk for one last time.
"Make no mistake...", he continues, "the prince does not rule by right of memories or fleeting sentiments. He rules because of our loyalty and faith in him... And I advise you not to question this any further, nor continue your mutinous talk."

Not wanting to get in any further conflict, Franklyn waves his hand dismissively, turns sharply and heads below deck. "Only a man who hasn't seen a real battle can underestimate the value of leadership.", he says to nobody in particular.

Edit: picking up his things (mace/shield/bag) on the way back. Also Franklyn did some bandaging at the very beginning, but I'm not sure how much bandaging materials are left.
Last edited by chrono on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Vesk half-snorted, half-laughed as the cleric walked away. Shaking his head, he thought about the old woman... it would be nice to have some answers. Like why was she so horrified that the Prince was on the docks that night? Where was he supposed to be? And for that matter, why were the rest of them all there? It seemed an awful coincidence that so many random people would be there late at night. And Corlen... he came to the city to hunt? It didn't make sense.

Vesk collected his harpoons and cleaned them, then went off to find the soldier to whom he owed his life, and Corlen's as well.
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Skyrar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Corlen was already up in the mast. After having recieved whatever healing he could get from anyone who was willing to help him... (*cough* I'm SURE he's been tended to somehow!) he climbed up to the crows nest, his bow ready, his eyes scanning the horizon. Finally, something to do. His first real battle - and he had barely made it. The world was a grim place, he thought, absently noticing the sounds from below. Someone was having some kind of speech.. the Cleric? He had seen the man multiply in size in the battle, surely his gods gave him a lot of power. The ranger shielded his eyes against the sun, alert as could be in his still wounded state.
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games