Book 2 – Page 46

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Page 46

Postby balder » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:20 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 46

Postby omgitsgene » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:24 pm

All I've got to say is... HOLY CRAP IS THAT A JETPACK?!
omgitsgene

Postby Trost » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Poor Ace....

But I wonder how that Jetpack will come into play later... I love the foreshadowing in this comic!
All I have are my ideas.
Trost

Postby Diss Champ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:28 pm

I suspect Tram is going to deeply regret not putting on that jetpack when he had the chance.
Diss Champ

Postby emo samurai » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Nobody turns down a jetpack and lives.
emo samurai

Postby neos » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:43 pm

There seems to be a huge hole here though. A reprisal gate attack.

Parson has left no guard at his own gate even as he breaks convention by invading through another's.
Why wouldn't he think he might suffer a reprisal attack, from the Magick Kingdom if no one else.
Given the power of casters, he could easily lose his home city that way (to say nothing of casters following him to Jetstone, 'bounty casters, though that seems less likely given political implications). It's all sorts of trouble for the MK if it get's a reputation as a security hole and people close off their portals. And while there may be any number of political reasons why GK is safe from a reprisal attack in the near term, I can't imagine any of them are reliable enough to risk your side...

Perhaps he will have Sizemore destroy the gate with dirtamancy? (Walling it off would be inssufficient as there are other dirtamancers.) Can they be turned off by more generic means?

ps: I like the jetpack as an extension of the Hermes theme for Tramennis. :) Perhaps this is also a good way to keep the character alive while still giving a win to GK.
pps: the basic smiley face here looks really distressed...
Last edited by neos on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neos

Postby omgitsgene » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:52 pm

neos wrote:ps: I like the jetpack as part of the Artemis theme you seem to be going for with Tramennis. :)

See, I'm thinking more Icarus than Artemis here, honestly. Son who flies way too high.

Edit: I also see the Magic Kingdom doing something on their end about GK's ability to portal from here on. If it breaks convention then I bet that they break their portal which would honestly serve as a defense for GK and maybe the best possible scenario as no one would be able to repeat the attempt.
omgitsgene

Postby neos » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:00 pm

omgitsgene wrote:
neos wrote:ps: I like the jetpack as part of the Artemis theme you seem to be going for with Tramennis. :)

See, I'm thinking more Icarus than Artemis here, honestly. Son who flies way too high.

Edit: I also see the Magic Kingdom doing something on their end about GK's ability to portal from here on. If it breaks convention then I bet that they break their portal which would honestly serve as a defense for GK and maybe the best possible scenario as no one would be able to repeat the attempt.

Nice, no reason we can't mix 'n match allusions. He's already got the androgynous, mouthy messenger thing going on though. And the little wings on the jetpack are stylistically similar to those on Hermes's shoes, etc. Besides, to meta/plot reason, the character's one of the most enjoyable in this comic. He'll probably 'live' one way or another. Still, also a nice theme you point out.

re: Edit: I also think that's the most likely. But it would be unseemly of a superior warlord to gamble unnecessarily on such a passive response. (I mean, at least put some heavies in the room that could attack any non-GK units as they step through... Perhaps he yet will.)

ps: I love the way multi-level quotes are displayed here!
:) <-- distressed smiley (I swear, it's like he's being held up and is just hoping the guy doesn't shoot him)
Last edited by neos on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
neos

Postby Oberon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:02 pm

neos wrote:There seems to be a huge hole here though. A reprisal gate attack.
I would agree, now that we have heard that the mechanics behind there being no portal guards is just a convention, it seems a bit foolish to leave the GK portal unguarded. On the other hand, Sizemore seems to feel that the convention is an absolute prohibition. If GK busts the convention and the MK does the same in response, the door is wide open and the convention is dead forever. If, on the other hand, the MK uses conventional means of retribution, cheaply hiring out casters to Sides attacking GK, the afore-mentioned trade embargo, etc., then their convention has a chance of survival.

Tram seems to be rather fond of Ace...
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Mick715 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:02 pm

I definitely see some definite 'this will blow up in our face' later going on here.

It is definitely a matter of escalation and obeying the rules of war (like the Geneva conventions) to keep things civilized

However, since this is fiction land: go Parson!

And critical tactical blunder: never say no to a jet pack!
My Science Blog
Today's Topic: The Search for E.T. Continues
Mick715

Postby CelebrenIthil » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:04 pm

emo samurai wrote:Nobody turns down a jetpack and lives.

I was thinking about the same thing, but then I remembered that sometimes it is quite the contrary.

But OMGAWD TREM ITSA A JETPAAAAACK DANG IT!

.... I see your your apologetic smile but it's not enough. D:
Last edited by CelebrenIthil on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
build6 wrote:It's true, we're all gay for Tramennis, even if we're straight :-)
CelebrenIthil
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby mortissimus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:07 pm

neos wrote:Why wouldn't he think he might suffer a reprisal attack, from the Magick Kingdom if no one else.

Because you do not send casters into a city you do not control. Sizemore just said so. And no other side has a warlord that can use the portals.

The Magic Kingdom is no side so it will not attack anyone.
mortissimus

Postby dirocyn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:08 pm

neos wrote:
omgitsgene wrote:

Nice, no reason we can't mix 'n match allusions. He's already got the androgynous, mouthy messenger thing going on though. And the little wings on the jetpack are stylistically similar to those on Artemis's boots though.

Artemis? The huntress with the bow? I think you've got the wrong myth. Are you sure you don't mean Hermes (Roman Mercury), aka the model for the FTD Flower Guy? He was the one with the winged sandals and the shortsword. Tram's outfit looks a bit Roman, also.
dirocyn

Postby neos » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:12 pm

dirocyn wrote:
neos wrote:Nice, no reason we can't mix 'n match allusions. He's already got the androgynous, mouthy messenger thing going on though. And the little wings on the jetpack are stylistically similar to those on Artemis's boots though.

Artemis? The huntress with the bow? I think you've got the wrong myth. Are you sure you don't mean Hermes (Roman Mercury), aka the model for the FTD Flower Guy? He was the one with the winged sandals and the shortsword. Tram's outfit looks a bit Roman, also.

I meant Hermes. :P
(retroactively edit fixing [not sure that one can pro-actively edit fix, but nonetheless])

ps, again: we can only stack quotes 3 deep? So much potential in quote display lost... :(
Last edited by neos on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neos

Postby mortissimus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Noticed that Parson has using the portals as one of several scenarios. Though I think he will do it, it would be something of a disappointment if they make a truce with Jetstone now :)
mortissimus

Postby Trost » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:17 pm

mortissimus wrote:Noticed that Parson has using the portals as one of several scenarios. Though I think he will do it, it would be something of a disappointment if they make a truce with Jetstone now :)

Would that make Parson "Thinking with portals?"

Also, if GK wins this and captures Ace...
All I have are my ideas.
Trost

Postby BCCroaker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:20 pm

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"

Particularly from a position of strength.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:21 pm

emo samurai wrote:Nobody turns down a jetpack and lives.

Indeed. And since it was King Slatley who turned down the jetpack, I guess Jetstone will soon need a new ruler.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Trost wrote:Poor Ace....

But I wonder how that Jetpack will come into play later... I love the foreshadowing in this comic!

This. I'm sure we've been shown how Tramennis is going to escape from the Parson boop-storm that is to come.

Prediction: Slately will promote Tram to heir with his last dying breath. (Probably, Charlie will have to intervene with the money for him to do it.) Then Tram will have to escape, but there will be great pathos over his father's last act to save him.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Trost » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:40 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:
Trost wrote:Poor Ace....

This. I'm sure we've been shown how Tramennis is going to escape from the Parson boop-storm that is to come.

Prediction: Slately will promote Tram to heir with his last dying breath. (Probably, Charlie will have to intervene with the money for him to do it.) Then Tram will have to escape, but there will be great pathos over his father's last act to save him.

or, possibly the escape route of someone else... maybe even Parson himself.
All I have are my ideas.
Trost

Next

Return to Reactions