becoming a tool

What features and fixes would you like to see here at erfworld.com?

becoming a tool

Postby konmanrocks » Mon May 11, 2009 9:56 pm

since there isnt a questions area in the forums *hint(might help)* i think this is the best place for this. im wondering just exactly how the renewing process is going to happen for the support. will the 3 bucks or whatever it is be pulled out of paypal automatically or will i have to manually set it up to donate every month if i do become a tool?
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Re: becoming a tool

Postby Morthe » Tue May 12, 2009 7:38 am

first of all you'll need a credit card. this will be associated to your paypal account. from there every month 3 bucks get deducted automatically.
Morthe
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby EthericSentinel » Tue May 12, 2009 9:22 am

Paypal allso allows you to pay from your checking account, though if you do that they will always take payments from your checking account first, unless you tell them differently each time. Personally it's never seemed worth it to me.
Jabberwocky wrote:Someone is disagreeing with someone else over an irrelevant bit of trivia on the Internet of all places. Honor demands blood.
EthericSentinel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby konmanrocks » Wed May 13, 2009 6:11 pm

okay, i have the paypal set up correctly, i was simply wondering if it was an automatic thing. thanks guys!
konmanrocks
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Skorj » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:28 pm

I want to support Erfword, but I don't do recurring subscriptions (matter of principle). Could we please get a non-recurring annual subscription option? Thanks.
Skorj

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:15 pm

EthericSentinel wrote:Paypal allso allows you to pay from your checking account, though if you do that they will always take payments from your checking account first, unless you tell them differently each time. Personally it's never seemed worth it to me.

Heh. Yes. When I joined Paypal in order to become a tool, it cheerfully asked "Why not make everything really easy by also giving us your checking account information?"

Sorry, Paypal, no; I don't trust you nearly enough to give you that information. At least with a credit card, Visa's lawyers are there when the screw-up inevitably happens.

Screw-ups on Paypal? Say not so!
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby Skorj » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:47 am

Sorry, Paypal, no; I don't trust you nearly enough to give you that information. At least with a credit card, Visa's lawyers are there when the screw-up inevitably happens.

Sadly they aren't. Visa will tell you that Visa is only between you and paypall, not you and the seller. If Paypal gave your money to the seller, it's no business of Visa's what the seller does or doesn't deliver, take that up with PayPal and the seller.

Not that I'm worried about that here, I just have problems with auto-renewal of any kind of subscription.
Skorj

Postby Doktor Jones » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:01 am

Skorj wrote:I want to support Erfword, but I don't do recurring subscriptions (matter of principle). Could we please get a non-recurring annual subscription option? Thanks.

I think a non-auto-renew yearly option might not be a bad idea. Monthly would be pointless though, because Paypal would eat too much of it in fees :evil:
Doktor Jones
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Anton Gaist » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:14 am

Doktor Jones wrote:
Skorj wrote:I want to support Erfword, but I don't do recurring subscriptions (matter of principle). Could we please get a non-recurring annual subscription option? Thanks.

I think a non-auto-renew yearly option might not be a bad idea. Monthly would be pointless though, because Paypal would eat too much of it in fees :evil:

I second this motion. If this alternative comes up, I'm in.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:37 pm

Skorj wrote:Sadly they aren't. Visa will tell you that Visa is only between you and paypall, not you and the seller. If Paypal gave your money to the seller, it's no business of Visa's what the seller does or doesn't deliver, take that up with PayPal and the seller.

That's exactly the point. It's Paypal that I don't trust, not Rob & Jamie.
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby balder » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:52 pm

Actually we have had people sign up for the yearly recurring, then immediately cancel the subscription. We're treating this by giving the full $36 store credit and setting the expiration on the Tool account at a year and the expiration on the store credit at a year plus 90 days. That's effectively what you're asking for, I think.
balder

Postby angra » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:52 am

Mr. Balder,

Is this your stated policy going forward? I just reread the "what if I cancel" section of the "become a tool" page and it was a bit ambiguous on the subject - I read it as 90 days after cancellation, rather than 90 days after the subscription period.

If you really do intend to let us do that, then THANK YOU! I won't do a auto-recurring, but I've wanted to be a subscriber since you started this site. Id love it if I could do a multi-year up-front too (I think you guys deserve the $ and it seems like a fair thing giveback to you to make up for not being recurring), but just what you have described so far is a big plus.
angra
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby balder » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:35 pm

angra wrote:Mr. Balder,

Is this your stated policy going forward? I just reread the "what if I cancel" section of the "become a tool" page and it was a bit ambiguous on the subject - I read it as 90 days after cancellation, rather than 90 days after the subscription period.

If you really do intend to let us do that, then THANK YOU! I won't do a auto-recurring, but I've wanted to be a subscriber since you started this site. Id love it if I could do a multi-year up-front too (I think you guys deserve the $ and it seems like a fair thing giveback to you to make up for not being recurring), but just what you have described so far is a big plus.

Yeah we don't love doing it that way, but that's how we're going to handle canceled yearlies. We want to do right by the supporters, because you're doing right by us.
balder

Return to Suggestions/Requests