Forum Rules

What features and fixes would you like to see here at erfworld.com?

Forum Rules

Postby Skorj » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:22 pm

The OOTS forums has rules against discussion modern politics and religion, which I've always thought helped strongly in keeping conversations civil. Could we please get that here? Offhand comments about politics and religion not intended as trolls are flamebait often end up as such! Thanks.
Skorj

Re: Forum Rules

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Hmm—I'd rather not see that. Posting on the OotS forums is an exercise in paranoia, constantly having to tippy-toe around the myriad rules for fear of having the mods bitch-slap you for a well-intentioned but unfortunate remark. It also makes life difficult when a discussion actually needs historical references to make a point.

This forum has a more relaxed attitude, and I'd like to see it stay that way. Certainly, put a stop to flame wars when they break out, but let's not start down the ugly path of enforced political correctness.
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby Sethram » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:56 pm

When it comes to politics and religion, I think that handling it on a case by case basis is the best result. This is the internet, most of us here are (young)adults or close enough to one to act like one. Emotions can get out of hand, but why limit discussion until that specific thread becomes an issue? So far we've had little issue with flaming. The one or two times I can think that it has happened, people just started either ignoring each other or stopped caring about the argument, so we're capable of that at least :P
Sethram

Postby Skorj » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:30 am

Heh, it seems every networked community from the dawn of networks goes through the same stages.

"We don't need agressive moderaiton or rules, we're all nice adults here."

Then it gets popular.

"OMFG, these new people came, and they totally trashed the place, and they didn't respect our culture at all, and there's so many of them."

And then your community becomes 4chan, and juct like 4chan you decide that rules and moderation are OK after all. :mrgreen:

Well, hopefully we'll have a few months before the evoltuion debates, discussions about the worst president ever, and goatse trolls set in!
Skorj

Postby Secret » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:31 am

The only rule I'd really like to see is for double posting! >_<
I have been seeing more and more of it, and it's not like we don't have an edit button or that posts can't be edited after a time limit, people are just too damn lazy too use it.(or they are trying to get their post count up -_-, though why they would do it for that is beyond me.)
"I only exist inside those people aware of my existence." -Lain
Secret
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Doktor Jones » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:16 pm

There seems to be a mod for phpbb floating around that accomplishes this...

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&start=15

The code listed there on the second page even permits a "timer", which I think would be great, so people can't double-post immediately, but if they're trying to bump an old topic, or have something to add a few hours later (after people may have already read their last post), they can post again so people realize there's actually new content.
Doktor Jones
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Secret » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Doktor Jones wrote:There seems to be a mod for phpbb floating around that accomplishes this...

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&start=15

The code listed there on the second page even permits a "timer", which I think would be great, so people can't double-post immediately, but if they're trying to bump an old topic, or have something to add a few hours later (after people may have already read their last post), they can post again so people realize there's actually new content.

wow Very nice mod ya got there!
I say add it and set it to about 3-4 hours and we'll all be good.
It's when people post just minutes after the first post that I really hate so even just a 2 hour limit would be cool. ^_^
"I only exist inside those people aware of my existence." -Lain
Secret

Return to Suggestions/Requests