I've created an Erfworld-themed setup for the party game called Mafia, which is also known as Werewolf. Those of you who have played this game before, feel free to skip the next three paragraphs.
For those of you who have not, Mafia is a game which was created as part of a college course on psychology (or psychiatry, or communication, or something similar). It took off, and has become an extremely popular party game, and spawned several commercial versions (though you can play entirely for free). It is an exercise in trust and lies. Trust can kill you, but trust is ultimately what decides the fate of the players. You can't win on your own.
For an overview of the rules, you can see this Flash program
. It's a very simple game, really; the Flash program shouldn't take more than five minutes to read and understand.
For a more comprehensive list of possible roles, you can check out this Flash program
So here's how this Erfworld-specific setup is going to work.
--------------------Jack Snipe and Wanda Firebaugh will act as the Mafia
. Jack and Wanda, through judicious application of Jack's Foolamancy, have managed to replace two of the Courtiers of the Royal Crown Coalition! Each Night, Jack and Wanda kill a member of the Coalition and Decrypt him or her using the Arkenpliers. The Decrypted Coalition member then returns to his position of trust, acting as though nothing has happened. Thus the Gobwin Knob forces grow nightly, placing the very future of the Royal Crown Coalition at stake!The Town will be represented by the Royal Crown Coalition
. Prince Trammenis, several Casters from various Sides, and the loyal Courtiers of the Coalition must work together to bring down not only Jack and Wanda but the Decrypted remnants of their former comrades! The powers of the Casters offer some chance of victory, but even their spells may not be enough before the might of the Arkenpliers. No one can be trusted, and no one is safe.The game will contain the following power roles
- Wanda Firebaugh. As long as Wanda is alive, Gobwin Knob's Nightkill target will not be removed from play. Rather, they will have their alignment switched from the Coalition to Gobwin Knob, on account of being Decrypted.
- Jack Snipe. Once per Night, Jack can select a member of Gobwin Knob's forces to place a Foolamancy baffle over. That player will appear as though they are an ordinary member of the Coalition, thus foiling any investigation attempts against them.The Royal Crown Coalition
- Prince Trammenis. Trammenis, as the greatest diplomat in the land, has an unparalleled ability to forge alliances between people who would otherwise never trust each other. Once per Night, Trammenis can select a player to bring into his inner circle. The members of Trammenis' inner circle can communicate privately at any time. However, if Trammenis attempts to recruit a member of Gobwin Knob, Trammenis and all members of his inner circle
- The Dittomancer. The Dittomancer's ability to copy things extends to his own voting power. His votes count double.
- The Healomancer. Once per Night, the Healomancer can place protective wards on a player. That player cannot be killed or Decrypted by any means that Night.
- The Thinkamancer. The Thinkamancer's mastery of thought magic allows them to peer into a Coalition member's innermost thoughts. Once per Night, the Thinkamancer can investigate a player. They will be told whether or not that player is a member of the Coalition or Gobwin Knob.
- The Courtiers. The Courtiers are representatives of the different member nations of the Royal Crown Coalition. They have no special powers, but may vote as normal, and the fate of the Coalition rests heavily on their shoulders.Other
- If enough players sign up, there may be other characters making an appearance on either side - or maybe on a side all their own...
This game will require at least nine players, but can go as high as twenty - and the more people who want to play, the more characters will make an appearance! Maybe Charlie will try to manipulate events to his benefit, or maybe Parson decided that Gobwin Knob needed him on-scene.