Summer Updates - 007

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Updates - 007

Postby balder » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:35 am

New one's up. Fireworks!
balder

Re: Summer Updates - 007

Postby badninja » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:47 am

Wow, that was one nice show. Did Wanda do that on purpose? The Tool is going to be pretty mad!
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:58 am

First thought: good call on literal celebratory fireworks.

Second thought: Twenty eight archons? Holy boop. That is close to the number Charlie planned to use to take the city. GK got a lot of troops out of Wanda's decrypt spell. A lot more than I thought.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby BarGamer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:07 am

Bit early for July 4th... But who cares?! XD
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Goshen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:21 am

Wow! Ever the idiotic anus, Stanley nearly melted down his own forces just because of a bit of pique at Wanda. That was rather rude of her not to warn him, though. Maybe deliberate.

Holy Boop, GK has some serious airpower, now! They should hit Charlie first. He has an arkentool and no friends.
Goshen

Postby Kyouhen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:26 am

Well it should be interesting to see how Stanley treats his favourite Croakamancer now. And gotta love how whenever he tries to look cool he still ends up doing something stupid. :P
Kyouhen

Postby shadowdemon_lord » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:27 am

And so, the archons retained their natural magics, that's really really powerful. Parson has a lot to learn about his new units, and more to exploit beyond even Charlie's archon cheese.
shadowdemon_lord

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:28 am

Let me be the first to say, this update is Big Time.

LOTS of good info. It's a wiki night.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby DunkelMentat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:34 am

Yet another awesome update. I am DIEING to know what Stanley's been thinking about Parson, though.

This update made me remember how powerful the combination of Vinny dancefighting with an archon was supposed to be (Did they ever actually do that? I know it was presented visually as part of a plan but don't remember if it happened.). With all the new units GK has and the inevitable fact that they will get many more by decrypting enemies in battles I'm excited to see what crazy combinations Parson can come up with.

*EDIT: Is there a chance that this forum account will someday also cover the wiki? I hate making new accounts.
DunkelMentat

Postby Bobby Archer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:46 am

DunkelMentat wrote:This update made me remember how powerful the combination of Vinny dancefighting with an archon was supposed to be (Did they ever actually do that? I know it was presented visually as part of a plan but don't remember if it happened.)

Nope, Charlie's price to be part of the ambush on Stanley was too high for Transylvito to pay (I think it was something like a million schmuckers a turn). Having archons dance-fight with warlords, though? Very cool.

Also, we now know that archons have natural foolamancy abilities.
______----------*
The more you know
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:48 am

Half a million a turn.

And we also learned something about the Arkenhammer and its relationship with dwagons.

And exactly how many Archons Wanda decrypted. (More than one!)
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby DunkelMentat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:02 am

Bobby Archer wrote:Nope, Charlie's price to be part of the ambush on Stanley was too high for Transylvito to pay (I think it was something like a million schmuckers a turn). Having archons dance-fight with warlords, though? Very cool.

That's what I was thinking.

Having archons dance-fight with casters, though? Also very cool. I wonder how dance partnering works as opposed to mancer linking. I'm sure that the power multiplier and new abilities for dance partners would be much lower - but how much lower?

I am really enjoying the pace of these updates.
DunkelMentat

Postby shneekeythelost » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:03 am

Twenty Eight Archons. Holy boop... that was about as many archons as was necessary to take over GK before everything blew up. So, just in air forces, Stanley now has enough to take over a heavily reinforced capital city with one of the highest defense ratings in ErfWorld. NOT counting the Dwagons.

Rebuild GK's army to a size sufficient to take over the world? Check.
shneekeythelost

Postby Bobby Archer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:07 am

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:Half a million a turn.

Thanks, I was too lazy to go digging through the archives.

Also, this
From the ground, this looked exactly like he had blown up his own head. Nobody ever told him that.

is probably my favorite line thus far from the SU.

DunkelMentat wrote:Having archons dance-fight with casters, though? Also very cool. I wonder how dance partnering works as opposed to mancer linking. I'm sure that the power multiplier and new abilities for dance partners would be much lower - but how much lower?

It's probably nowhere near the level of power-boost you get from a link-up, but with none of the significant drawbacks. If I had to guess, it's probably just how their dance-fighting would have stacked up - they seemed to be all set for a Grease-style dance, lots of pairing off and such.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Spot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:40 am

shneekeythelost wrote:Twenty Eight Archons. Holy boop... that was about as many archons as was necessary to take over GK before everything blew up. So, just in air forces, Stanley now has enough to take over a heavily reinforced capital city with one of the highest defense ratings in ErfWorld. NOT counting the Dwagons.

Rebuild GK's army to a size sufficient to take over the world? Check.

It may take a while to conquer the whole world. I seem to remember when Charley dispatched the Archons to Gobwin Knob, he gave them the coordinates of where they were headed, and the coordinate numbers were in the thousands.

I'm guessing that Erfworld is just as big as Earth, and while Gobwin Knob may be the most powerful city-state in the world... it's sort of like Sparta deciding that it would like to conquer all of Earth. It's not something that can happen in a turn, or ten turns, or even a hundred turns.
Spot

Postby Anton Gaist » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:47 am

Stanley is... afraid of Wanda?

That certainly seems to be, from his reaction, the show of bravado and jealousy... that's almost textbook behavior when someone is afraid.

That's actually pretty smart coming from him. Whether or not Wanda plans to betray him (and I think not), she is the most dangerous unit in GK right now.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby HandofShadows » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:50 am

Anton Gaist wrote:Stanley is... afraid of Wanda?

That certainly seems to be, from his reaction, the show of bravado and jealousy... that's almost textbook behavior when someone is afraid.

That's actually pretty smart coming from him. Whether or not Wanda plans to betray him (and I think not), she is the most dangerous unit in GK right now.

Wanda is probably the most powerful unit in GK, but not the most dangerouse. Parson is the most dangerouse by a long shot (as he can break the rules and has non thinkomany (real personal) loyalty of the casters and Ansom). But Stanley does not know that. Stanely has always shown signs of paraoinia (after the battle at the donute he said something to the effect of I don't know if you failed me or betrayed me). Now that Stanley is NOT so special (there is another Arkentool wileder in GK) that is arguably more powerful (and face it a heck of a lot smarter and deviouse) he is scrambling to prove that he is top dog. In fact at some point in the future I really expect Stanely to try to do something to cut down Wanda's power and maybe even try to croak her.
HandofShadows

Postby Spot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:07 am

HandofShadows wrote:
Parson is the most dangerouse by a long shot (as he can break the rules and has non thinkomany (real personal) loyalty of the casters and Ansom). But Stanley does not know that. Stanely has always shown signs of paraoinia (after the battle at the donute he said something to the effect of I don't know if you failed me or betrayed me). Now that Stanley is NOT so special (there is another Arkentool wileder in GK) that is arguably more powerful (and face it a heck of a lot smarter and deviouse) he is scrambling to prove that he is top dog. In fact at some point in the future I really expect Stanely to try to do something to cut down Wanda's power and maybe even try to croak her.

True. Parson is far more dangerous, in the long run, than Wanda.

For the reasons you mentioned, and also because Wanda is now satisfied. She's gotten what she wanted. She achieved her goal. Now she can hang out and create uncroaked/decrypted all day, and occasionally indulge her interrogation hobby in the evenings. Parson, on the other hand, does not have what he wants yet... and achieving his goals will require that the world itself be broken and reformed into a new image.

Stanley, of course, seems unaware of all this... ...and I don't think he has the ability to think outside of the box enough to even perceive Wanda or Parson as a threat.

Stanley is, after all, their Overlord... using normal Erfworld thinking: how could units possibly be a threat to their own Overlord?

I don't think Stanley can even come to the conclusion that he should be worried about his underlings. More likely, he'll simply become irritated with them for some silly reason having to do with ego or pride... but I don't think he's capable of seeing them as a threat.
I shamelessly stole my avatar from Cloudbreaker :D
Spot

Postby Bakin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:12 am

HandofShadows wrote:Stanely has always shown signs of paraoinia (....) In fact at some point in the future I really expect Stanely to try to do something to cut down Wanda's power and maybe even try to croak her.

This ties in with my previous comment about Stanley = Stalin - both are jealous, paranoid and control freaks.
He's probably going to do something really stupid soon, such as trying to demote or disband Wanda - but not yet; that's for when Book 2 commences, I believe. Great update, can't wait to see what happens next... :D
Axiom: There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Bakin

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:09 am

I don't think Stanley is a control freak; he seems more like the opposite. He doesn't care for strategy, planing or other stuff. He encourages his underlings to peruse their hobbies and generally let them do their job. But in this case he has good reasons to be suspiciously. He is surrounded by thousands of Wanda's troops, and she shows that with her little parade.

I'm curious why the dwagons had troubles with the show up there. Do they generally dislike competition in the air, or have they only a problem with other arkentool-units?
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Next

Return to Reactions