Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 037

Postby Matt-Attack » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:58 am

Gotta love reunions!
Matt-Attack
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Smoker » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:05 am

A point of turning for all units.... I wonder what that means?

Also the MK conspiracy gains some weight. Damnit. :P
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby Oberon » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:10 am

Interesting. So Wanda knew about the SPWL spell because Janice had had it made and intended it for her. I wonder what would have happened if Stanley had refused the high price?

Wanda "You won't pay the 350k shmuckers? Well, they are offering it for 300k. Still no? Next week it's Black Friday, and they have 3 for sale for a mere 150k, but I'll have to stand in line all night to get one of them."
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Miklus II » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:19 am

Wanda really IS the source of all evil. I love her! :D
Miklus II

Postby jfiskars » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:42 am

Soooo ... im guessing wanda is alive? Cause if she would be , Sizemore wouldnt return to MK.
jfiskars

Postby PseudoPserious » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:44 am

Hubble for the Lookamancer, eh? Nice.

I wonder why he chose Marie for the predictamancer...the space experiment MARIE seems like a bit of a stretch, even though it was intended to predict radiation doses.
PseudoPserious

Postby slb » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:18 am

Wow, this update put Wanda in a completely different light. And Kudos to the ones conjecturing that Janis was actually dealing with the same Predictamancer at FAQ ^^

I'm sure that when Parson will learn all that, he'll probably throw the proverbial monkey wrench in their plans...

Also, I have the feeling that Marie may have an agenda not strictly similar to Janis.

Yay for Moar plot :mrgreen:
slb
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Morgaln » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:32 am

Some idle observation. It looks like we have seen so far more female than male casters; so far we have:

Female:

Wanda
Maggie
Misty
Bunny
Janis
Marie
Vanna

Male:

Sizemore
Jack
Ace
Cubbins
Benjamin
Dittomancer

Of those, the females tend to play a larger role in the story, except for Sizemore and Jack, the males so far are more or less only mentioned as "they exist". I don't think it means anything, I just found it interesting. Especially since the rest of the cast is predominantly male (I don't think we have seen any female in Jetstone yet, except for Jillian who is a member of FAQ, not JS).
Was it mentioned somewhere whether gender does affect stats in any way? I can't remember...
Morgaln

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:28 am

Loved the update!

Morgaln wrote:Some idle observation. It looks like we have seen so far more female than male casters; so far we have:

Female: Wanda, Maggie, Misty, Bunny, Janis, Marie, Vanna
Male: Sizemore, Jack, Ace, Cubbins, Benjamin, Dittomancer

Of those, the females tend to play a larger role in the story...

Although it has not been completely confirmed, I believe you can add Charlie to the list of males, which would tip the 'play a role' scale very heavily back in favor of the men. :)
MarbitChow

Postby Dante » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:29 am

Oberon wrote:Interesting. So Wanda knew about the SPWL spell because Janice had had it made and intended it for her. I wonder what would have happened if Stanley had refused the high price?

Wanda "You won't pay the 350k shmuckers? Well, they are offering it for 300k. Still no? Next week it's Black Friday, and they have 3 for sale for a mere 150k, but I'll have to stand in line all night to get one of them."

I think Stanley would have known something was up if it was cheap. He might not be the smartest cookie on Erf, but he is shrewd like that. They must have known he would balk at the "support plan" too.
Dante
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby wrecan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:31 am

MarbitChow wrote:Loved the update!

Morgaln wrote:Some idle observation. It looks like we have seen so far more female than male casters; so far we have:

Female: Wanda, Maggie, Misty, Bunny, Janis, Marie, Vanna
Male: Sizemore, Jack, Ace, Cubbins, Benjamin, Dittomancer

Of those, the females tend to play a larger role in the story...

Although it has not been completely confirmed, I believe you can add Charlie to the list of males, which would tip the 'play a role' scale very heavily back in favor of the men. :)

Not to mention that Parson may be a caster!
wrecan

Postby fjolnir » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:37 am

Marie is raising the hackles on my referencometer, anyone know`where she's from? that being said, good update, albeit one that was strongly foreshadowed.

what about carl sagan, orko, and spock from parson's previous MK field trip?
fjolnir

Postby oslecamo2 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:53 am

Well, I had suspicions the Hippiemancer was pulling strings here and there, but I never imagined she would actualy be the mastermind! :shock:

So well, Wanda is alive, and it seems like Sizemore will get some help to carry Hamster directly to the MK.

Will the hippiemancers be able to pull him trough safely? Or civil war in the MK?
oslecamo2

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:53 am

So-- how come the birds aren't also singing out love between my brothers and my sisters?

Heh, lookamancer named Hubble.

And Marie? Her accent could be caribbean, could be deep south. Cajun? Voodoo? But that would be more appropriate for a croakamancer. Rastafarian? That would better fit a foolamancer. Blues singer? Be appropriate. In real life Janis Joplin sang gospel before she got into rock. It would be appropriate and even cliche to have met some blues singers along the way. I'm sure someone else will get it and then i'll feel like an idiot.

As for Marie's predictamancy being clouded i guess a changeamancer could hae messed with her magic. Or a luckamancer could have kept screwing with the odds so her power showed to many possible paths. Or perhaps the hammer?

How many rules must a warlord break
Before he can finally break war?
How many units must croak in his wake
Until no one croaks anymore?

How many quests must a Tool undertake
To gain some legitimacy?
Of how many tests must two lovers partake
Before they can let themselves be?

The answers, dear fans
Are in the Titans' hands
The answers are in the Titans' hands
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:58 am

fjolnir wrote:Marie is raising the hackles on my referencometer, anyone know`where she's from? that being said, good update, albeit one that was strongly foreshadowed.

what about carl sagan, orko, and spock from parson's previous MK field trip?

I'm guessing Marie Laveau, the witch queen of New Orleans (and the inspiration for pretty much every other depiction of voodoo priestesses).
The suit however seems to be inspired by Nepalese lamaism, and the symbol is the Omega.
Fiendishrabbit

Postby Sieggy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:15 am

So . . . does this confirm that Parson is, indeed, a hippiemancer? Or merely a tool for Hippymancy . . ? If he's actually a Hippymancer, then he has every right to proceed through the MK. And I have to wonder if there's any precedence in Erf history of a multi-class warlord / caster?

This meeting REALLY ought to be interesting! However, I wonder who else will be present when Parson shows up - after all, isn't the GK gate under guard?

And . . . got all cloudy? Hmmm . . . given the interesting circumstances of Stanley's victory (if he hadn't somehow managed to run into a major slew of Dwagons for him to tame on the way to FAQ, he would have lost and the Pliers gone to Wanda as she expected), I smell a higher level of manipulation. I can see Charlie as having to ability to mess with Marie's head and 'clouding' her, but I can't see his motivation. There's a deeper game going on somewhere.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby oslecamo2 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:40 am

Sieggy wrote:So . . . does this confirm that Parson is, indeed, a hippiemancer? Or merely a tool for Hippymancy . . ? If he's actually a Hippymancer, then he has every right to proceed through the MK. And I have to wonder if there's any precedence in Erf history of a multi-class warlord / caster?

Eerr, the update just made clear they wanted a warlord, not a mancer. They didn't need someone with powers, they needed a tactical genius to overwhelm all other Erfworld commanders.
oslecamo2

Postby Raza » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:48 am

Well, that ties a lot of stuff up, and begs a whole bunch of new questions.

Marie is pulling Janis' strings, and herself dedicated to Wanda's 'fate'. That puts Wanda right back at the top of every conspiracy, but this seems more than she could have under personal control. Her thinkamancy manipulations have been crude so far; blocking a predictamancer's power while ensuring her ongoing loyalty over extended periods of time seems beyong the dust's ability. And then there is the dwagon-spawning oddity. Real titanic intervention? I'm hoping for a twist allowing a more ambiguous explanation before the end.

I wonder why Janis thinks this all will work out for her. Did they imbue the spell with a hidden selection criterion to make sure it would pull someone devoted to peace, or even a hippiemancer? Did they select Parson in advance, specifically? The update talks about something the casters don't know or are willing to keep hidden, but it's not clear to me how exactly the 'real aim' deviates from the spell's stated purpose in execution.

At least now we can cut the "Why doesn't everybody buy ten perfect warlord spells and sell the bracers?" crap. Only one was made and guided to the right hands, probably empowered by fate itself in supplying things like the bracer.
Raza

Postby Vorteks » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:55 am

Raza wrote:Did they select Parson in advance, specifically? The update talks about something the casters don't know or are willing to keep hidden, but it's not clear to me how exactly the 'real aim' deviates from the spell's stated purpose in execution.

My guess is that Parson wasn't specifically selected from the beginning. If he was, then it's an incredible coincidence that he met the Tool's requirements so well. "Someone who plans and kills his foes for fun" "snacks on Gwiffons and eats Marbits for breakfast" "everything should seem familiar and safe to him" "make him BIG" (book 1, page 17).
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions