Comments for ERFFIC - A Handful Of Units

Words in a line. All fanfic goes here, Erfworld or otherwise.

Re: Comments for ERFFIC - A Handful Of Units

Postby IronDino » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:16 pm

OneHugeTuck wrote:Do you mean this map? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/ ... ughD-1.jpg
Not sure how that relates hexwise. Do you mean that each hex on that map is a hex, and thus cities are multi hex?
That couldn't be, since no unit could move from one side of the city to another if it wasn't their turn. Or at least, I'd think that'd a bad idea for a city.
Though I haven't looked lately at the other references you mentioned. So maybe.
Outer Korse has two cities, one by the waterfall tunnel, one in the lake below.
Inner Korse had 4 cities, 3 after this last attack. (Maybe 1 more little one.) Inner Korse is a vast sea filled cavern. Kastle Korse is a big capital city at the far side of the sea, with 2-3 little Level 1-2 fishing villages (forgive my memory, it's been a while). The tunnel out is long. Thick mountain wall. Half full of water, half flyable air space.
As far as that altitude scenario, I'd say the inner sea cavern , while technically underground is at mountain or high mountain level. As well as the waterfall tunnel height city. Depends on if you're talking altitude or steepness. Waterfall is straight down, so I'm fine with mountain altitude but vertical drop steepeness. Varies along the mountain chain.

Yes, that's the map I was referring too. When I have time I'll go back through the archives and check see about it. But to me it makes sense to me that moving from city hex to city hex costs 0 move. So even with a unit of 0 move can traverse it.

One example was that a limited amount of siege and heavy units could cross Expository Bridge at a time. Making me think it's a single hex in width and that a hex is fairly small. Also there's the fact that the arrows stop mid-flight indicating another hex boundary. This makes me think it's one hex wide and two or three hexes long (the side of Gobwin Knob, (the neutral middle,) and the side of Jetstone). The bridge is smaller than a city and if it contains at least two hexes in it, a city must contain multiple.

But 5/6 cities? I sold you short (did you name them all?)
IronDino

Postby OneHugeTuck » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:10 am

Nah, we're not seeing eye to eye on the hex thing.

Cities have zones, and one can cross zones on the off turn. But when it's not your turn, you can't move out the hex you're in. Can't shoot arrows out, etc.

The Expository Bridge isn't a hex wide. It's narrow, yes, and it's the only way for land units to cross water without a boat/flyer, and the water is the literal and figurative boundary between two hexes.

Just like if a castle wall is a boundary hex (or right inside a boundar hex), all invading forces must enter through the door in the wall, but that doesn't mean the door is a hex wide.

Also you're saying that a unit would have to spend at least 2 move just to cross the bridge, much less enter the hex on the other side of the bridge. I look at it more like there's two hexes, the boundary of which is in the middle of the river, and the middle of the bridge. It only takes 1 Move to cross from one side to the other.

As I recall, Inner Korse cities are Kastle Korse, Herties, Lipsore, Kaids, and the now destroyed Sotomy. Outer Korse cities are Well Hung and Atlandis.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Drifter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:13 am

Holy boop, folks!

A year and a half go by, and then two updates inside a week... and no-one says anything?!

(and yes, I know I'm a month late, too... uh, shuddup. (>.<#)

Anyways, welcome back, 'Tick. Thank you for not abandoning this story - it is still one of my favorites.

I actually re-read the whole thing once I realized the updates were legit and not that stupid spam. I like the edits you made - 'banishment' is a very interesting idea. The concept of a ruler being able to just cast away units into barbarian status is worth a discussion in and of itself. I can imagine situations where a ruler's strategy radically changes, and he no longer wants to upkeep certain units. Perhaps as a gesture of friendship or mercy for loyal, beloved units, he can banish rather than disband them. 'give 'em a fighting chance to find a new fate. Or, as your story portrayed, let them escape a Side-fall. In any case, a brilliant bit of revision. :)

I am interested in where the story will go now. How will Ronjermy regroup, both tactically and emotionally, while facing a possible two front war? What of Promisa and Evony? The ambivalent support from the VJC?

Hopefully, my little bit of attention will buoy your spirits and encourage you to continue.

Again, welcome back & thanks for the updates!

Drifter
Drifter

Postby Sieggy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 am

Glad to see this back! Now I'll go back and read it from the beginning just to get back up to speed on it.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby bob the 6th » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 am

I like that the earlier abuse of luckamancy is properly rogering the side... "The boost has to come from somwere, and dosn't like to look far."

Nice end to the monty haul, as his massive 6 casters is dropped to 3. Though I would think breaking the MK's neutrality is a bit excessive... Esspecialy as the violator could get ROFLstomped by the defense forces. Seeing the violators gate getting a few dozen master class shockomancers, duomancers, and healomancers... The side ends, and the MK sends a proper mesage. then let the world know with an eyemancer link, hell contracting charlie would be worth it.
bob the 6th

Postby OneHugeTuck » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks all.

I'll get to writing again here at some point soon. I'll get one post out before I head to Italy for 4-6 weeks. Perhaps I'll come back with some Euro inspiration.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby bob the 6th » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:32 pm

nice additions, but you replaced flying fish with bat a few times... also, "And so it was and so it must be. Thus he ordered the fall of FetEx and Evony. Thus he looked to not just survive the conflict with Thispian, but to ." I think you lost something there.

still a great story, looking forward to more!
bob the 6th

Postby OneHugeTuck » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:02 am

bob the 6th wrote:nice additions, but you replaced flying fish with bat a few times... also, "And so it was and so it must be. Thus he ordered the fall of FetEx and Evony. Thus he looked to not just survive the conflict with Thispian, but to ." I think you lost something there.

still a great story, looking forward to more!

Damit. My brain can't stop thinking 'bat'. Thought I got all those slips.

Thanks for the comment on that and the 'lost something there'. I'm travelling Italy, so it'll all just have to wait....
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby WhirdCheese » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Nice to see this continuing.

I'm liking how he always does something I never see coming.
WhirdCheese

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:04 am

Your latest post mentions a megalo, and unless the lizards are packing mega-peeps, I think that is a mistake.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 4/24/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 4/09/2014 (link is to first page)
tigerusthegreat

Postby OneHugeTuck » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:35 am

tigerusthegreat wrote:Your latest post mentions a megalo, and unless the lizards are packing mega-peeps, I think that is a mistake.

Why a mistake?

I'm thinking 'megalo' is a size descriptor, basically. I.e. megalosaurus, megalogwiff, megalolizawd, etc.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:39 am

I thought it was a mistake because every other instance of it is followed by -sized lizawds or similar, that was the first time it was used by itself, and it seemed like a mistake while reading it. Its your show, if it was intended, then ignore my previous comment, and keep up the good work.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 4/24/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 4/09/2014 (link is to first page)
tigerusthegreat

Postby OneHugeTuck » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:18 am

Yeah. I think 'megalo' is fine in context.

I'm also thinking 'megalo' is like a class or category (like a class of starship). Megalo-class unit.

So I referred to 'megalolizawd' a bunch of times, and then referred to 'the megalo' since had been previously referred to the big lizawds.

In the updates, Jillian's megalogwiff is referred to as 'the megalo' at least once, in the same way.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Previous

Return to Fiction, Poetry and Essays