Summer Updates - 007

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 007

Postby Bobby Archer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:47 pm

raphfrk wrote:
temprus wrote:I agree, Bogroll was just killed and burned by fire, yet most of the Coalition were either killed by lava (or worse) or buried under it after death and yet they are somehow easily De-Crypted? :?:

Maybe, "burn" is a special action you can perform on a dead body to prevent uncroaking. It converts the body to ash, the other deaths wouldn't have had the special action performed.

Also, consider that Bogroll was first killed, then likely pulled apart by an angry mob, burnt, then whatever remains were left were further toasted and tossed by the Volcano Uncroaking, then buried to one extent or another. Bogroll may be the most thoroughly croaked unit in the history of Erfworld. Speculating that Wanda is lying for one reason or another is fine, but I for one have no trouble buying that Bogroll is just gone.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby SteveMB » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Bobby Archer wrote:
raphfrk wrote:Maybe, "burn" is a special action you can perform on a dead body to prevent uncroaking. It converts the body to ash, the other deaths wouldn't have had the special action performed.

Also, consider that Bogroll was first killed, then likely pulled apart by an angry mob, burnt, then whatever remains were left were further toasted and tossed by the Volcano Uncroaking, then buried to one extent or another. Bogroll may be the most thoroughly croaked unit in the history of Erfworld. Speculating that Wanda is lying for one reason or another is fine, but I for one have no trouble buying that Bogroll is just gone.

If it's a matter of common knowledge that twolls have a Regeneration special ability that might have otherwise restored him, they may have been deliberately destroying the body to prevent that.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby raphfrk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:00 pm

SteveMB wrote:If it's a matter of common knowledge that twolls have a Regeneration special ability that might have otherwise restored him, they may have been deliberately destroying the body to prevent that.

One issue here is that Jillian didn't attempt to burn the twoll when she killed it during her scouting mission. Ofc, she wasn't meant to be attacking any units anyway.

However, I think that with a large force, at least someone would know about regeneration, so it seems reasonable that burning twolls is standard and in this case, it was handled with a little more vigour.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby DunkelMentat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Matty wrote:
joosy wrote:To those who reference Vinny's statement "don't they cancel each other out or sumthin?" regarding the Arkentools.

I believe Vinny was referring to the combat bonus each one applies.

I disagree with your interpretation. After Vinny poses this question, Ansom answers with: "I wield the Arkenpliers. But I am not attuned to them, as Stanley is to his artifact. At best, they are a good combat weapon." http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F022.jpg

To me, this demonstrates how Ansom is taking Vinny's question literally. Note how he makes reference to the combat bonus indirectly in the last sentence, but that is not the answer he gives to Vinny's question - the second sentence is. In saying that "[he is] not attuned to [the Arkenpliers], as Stanley is to his artifact," Ansom is suggesting that, while Vinny's assumption may indeed be the case, it's of no help to them in this case as he's not attuned to his own artifact. He therefore doesn't confirm one way or another whether what Vinny said was true (allowing for us, the audience, to spectulate as much as we want), but he does clearly delineate that Vinny's question is not about combat bonuses.

See: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F072.jpg

Unless there was another artifact under the RCC's control in the hex at that time it would appear that an unattuned arkentool grants an artifact bonus.
DunkelMentat

Postby SteveMB » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:49 pm

raphfrk wrote:One issue here is that Jillian didn't attempt to burn the twoll when she killed it during her scouting mission. Ofc, she wasn't meant to be attacking any units anyway.

In that case, getting into a fight was an end in itself. If the twoll regenereated, that just meant that Jillian might get a chance to croak it again. :D
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby Anton Gaist » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:32 pm

SteveMB wrote:In that case, getting into a fight was an end in itself. If the twoll regenereated, that just meant that Jillian might get a chance to croak it again. :D

That twoll was devoured by her Gwyffon. http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F010.jpg
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby valce » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:34 pm

*nom* :P
valce

Postby Darkside007 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 pm

Maldeus wrote:
joosy wrote:Attacking Charlie is problematic at best.

They have no intel on Charlie (that we are aware of) and Parson is still bound to provide 10 more battle calculations.

Nine. He started with twelve, used one to figure out if he could take Gobwin Knob with his current Archons, another to determine how many more he'd need, and another to figure out the odds Parson's plan would beat the Royal Crown Coalition (which came out to a little under 60%, I believe).

We also don't know how many he's used off-panel, either. (I thought he had used a bit more.)
Darkside007

Postby joosy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:48 am

I believe the whole point of Bogroll's decrypting/uncroaking regarding the regeneration is moot.

Bogroll is dead because he is someone that we (and Parson) are emotionally invested in.

This shows the finality of war and the harsh reality of Parson's decisions.

Sacrifices must be made. Actions have unavoidable consequences for people you care about.

Bringing him back would dull that lesson.
joosy

Postby parson4president » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:14 am

joosy wrote:I believe the whole point of Bogroll's decrypting/uncroaking regarding the regeneration is moot.

Bogroll is dead because he is someone that we (and Parson) are emotionally invested in.

This shows the finality of war and the harsh reality of Parson's decisions.

Sacrifices must be made. Actions have unavoidable consequences for people you care about.

Bringing him back would dull that lesson.

I second this on the basis that Bogroll's wish was to save Parsons life. So in the end he completed his task. Touching moment!
parson4president

Postby Doktor Jones » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:55 am

raphfrk wrote:
temprus wrote:I agree, Bogroll was just killed and burned by fire, yet most of the Coalition were either killed by lava (or worse) or buried under it after death and yet they are somehow easily De-Crypted? :?:

Maybe, "burn" is a special action you can perform on a dead body to prevent uncroaking. It converts the body to ash, the other deaths wouldn't have had the special action performed.

Well if you look at #146, you'll note that Wanda seems to be decrypting units that are more or less intact. In the third frame, you might be able to argue that she's decrypting something that's buried under rubble, but I would say rubble or not, it's probably still at least mostly whole. In #132, you can see the RCC is very enthusiastically incinerating him, Salem witch style.
Doktor Jones
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Goshen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Maldeus wrote:
joosy wrote:Attacking Charlie is problematic at best.
They have no intel on Charlie (that we are aware of) and Parson is still bound to provide 10 more battle calculations.

Nine. He started with twelve, used one to figure out if he could take Gobwin Knob with his current Archons, another to determine how many more he'd need, and another to figure out the odds Parson's plan would beat the Royal Crown Coalition (which came out to a little under 60%, I believe).

I'll bet Parson tricks Charlie into wasting them, or manages to subvert their meaning. For example, Charlie might ask for a calculation on weather one stack can beat another, but he can't ask about stacks he's not aware of.
Goshen

Postby Goshen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:23 pm

I agree with some others that attacking Charlie could get scary. It looks like his fortress is only accessible by air or units with special climbing ability--like spidews. More importantly, Charlie could use his fearsome thinkamancy powers is unexpected ways.

Finally, I just get the feeling that Charlie's "side" is just, him, his fortress, his archons, the dish, and a pile of cash.
Goshen

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:25 pm

I agree, except he'll probably have a Bosley too.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby BarGamer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:39 pm

When Wanda and Stanley finish having their Arkentool testosterone contest, imagine what kind of "Dwagon Donut of Doom" Parson can make with ARCHONS RIDING ON DWAGONS, with gobwins AND marbits dragging things into the tunnels, and whoever else riding unipegataurs WITH MACHINE GUNS!

Don't like the odds on a thrown rock? Then make a gun that can fire 5400 rounds a second. In a traditional "stack"-formation war, even "misses" could hit enemies.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby Housellama » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Goshen wrote:I agree with some others that attacking Charlie could get scary. It looks like his fortress is only accessible by air or units with special climbing ability--like spidews. More importantly, Charlie could use his fearsome thinkamancy powers is unexpected ways.

Finally, I just get the feeling that Charlie's "side" is just, him, his fortress, his archons, the dish, and a pile of cash.

Speaking of... I'd be willing to bet Charlie's going to be PISSED when he finds out that Parson Decrypted his Archons. No one else has used them, and Charlie seems pretty possessive of them. I'm thinking this is not going to go over well.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:20 pm

BarGamer wrote:ARCHONS RIDING ON DWAGONS

Cue Ride of the Valkyries
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby BarGamer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Arkenputtyknife wrote:
BarGamer wrote:ARCHONS RIDING ON DWAGONS

Cue Ride of the Valkyries

BOOP yeah! Treat yourself to a cookie for that one, man.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby valce » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Charlie's fortress looks more or less unreachable and with his Thinkamancy and archons he can probably be well aware of any invading force long (turns?) before they arrive. I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie didn't have a contingency plan for when large forces attack.

Also, has anybody on Erfworld actually met Charlie? Do they know for certain that Charlie is a 'he'? Or even a humanoid? For all we know, Charlie could be a female golden retriever puppy that happened to dig up the Arkendish one day and gained, among other things, preternatural intelligence :P [Unlikely...]

In any case I guess nobody knows Charlie's true goals so it'll be difficult to predict his strategies (though we know enough about his personality to make good guesses about his actions :) ).
valce

Postby joosy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 pm

BarGamer wrote:When Wanda and Stanley finish having their Arkentool testosterone contest, imagine what kind of "Dwagon Donut of Doom" Parson can make with ARCHONS RIDING ON DWAGONS, with gobwins AND marbits dragging things into the tunnels, and whoever else riding unipegataurs WITH MACHINE GUNS!

Don't like the odds on a thrown rock? Then make a gun that can fire 5400 rounds a second. In a traditional "stack"-formation war, even "misses" could hit enemies.

don't forget the sharks with freakin' lasers attached to their foreheads.
joosy

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions