The Battle for Mine Island (Turn 7, I.A.R.)

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

The Battle for Mine Island (Turn 7, I.A.R.)

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:39 pm

After a recent Findamancer-Dirtamancer link survey discovered vast gem deposits underneath its mountains, an until now mostly deserted island has become the focus of attention for all Erfworld.

Nicknamed "Mine Island", presumably for its mineral deposits, it is now the bone of contention between two mighty alliances of Erfworld nations. Either side thinks the other is unworthy to polish their shoes, let alone share in the wealth. There can be only one, and victory will be claimed only when one alliance has had its expeditionary force croaked by the other.

The challenge is thrown. Can you make it Thine Island?

So victory conditions: croak everything that the other side has.

Each player will design 5 units and name their nation. 4 of those units will be posted here, while the fifth will only be known to me and that player's allies.

Each player will then buy units from those they have designed, up to a total cost of at most 5000 pop points. At least one of those units needs to be popped with the Commander special.

Any pop points not used for the starting army may be used in the next turns.

Each turn, each alliance gets 6000 pop points (2000 per allied player); these, along with any left-overs from the starting pop points, can be shared among allies.

Each alliance gets 4 Magic Hats. These can be given to any units, and allow those units to receive orders from however far away (normally, orders are received only if there's a Commander in the same hex as a unit, or another unit is used to relay orders).

Players start in the hex where their side has a spawn point.

Sides are

Team A EDIT Imaginary Acid Rain (NW camp; takes turn first):
Nihila, HerbieRai, Sihoiba

Team B EDIT Generic Scots (SE camp):
WaterMonkey314, LTDave, thetobias <- EDIT: Foolamancer replaces thetobias <- EDIT: Stryker replaces Foolamancer

In other news, I have the unit design (and secret units) from everyone.

Starting armies: all Side A (EDIT: Imaginary Acid Rain) players have sent in starting armies. All Side B (EDIT: Generic Scots) players have sent in unit designs and armies.

Some relevant documents

Rules Doc
Rules: differences to previous games in The Battle for <> style (like A Battle of Two Cities)
Unit design spreadsheet
Combat spreadsheet (you'll need to download it to look at it, but as I said I'll handle combat calcs; even then, apparently Open Office stabbed me in the back and thinks K5:ZZ5 is not a valid reference. Whatever. Where there's a SUM(!#REFetc), it's supposed to be something like SUM over the rest of the line)
Currently known units

Some suggestions-

- Suppose you have a sapper unit in a hex, and in a neighbouring hex there's a trap. It's not your turn, you have no units in that hex, so you don't know who's moving there. If the trap tells the sapper that it "wants" to explode, what do you do?

Waiting for your deliberation might tell the other side that something's fishy in that hex. So I suggest you leave me orders to cover for such eventualities, clear orders that do not depend on what might have triggered the trap. Orders like "don't detonate", "detonate always", "detonate on the second trigger in the turn" etc; you may give different orders for different traps, but remember they explode in increasing order of damage.

- You might want to give similar orders for when the enemy does enter the hex where you have your sapper too, but then you are allowed, of course, to include information about the triggering units in the orders ("detonate if no damage is wasted ie, the triggering stack has at least as much Hits as the trap might kill", for example).

- Healomancers negate damage dealt to a unit. You are free to give orders like "Healomancer, negate damage that is targeted at this unit", or a combination of several such orders ("heal this unit if it needs to, if there's left over healing apply it to this other unit" etc). In fact, I'd rather you do this before battle so as to avoid lack of fluency and arguments about whether the Healomancer was quick enough to save Commander RedShirt from Fluffy's jaws. If the Healomancer does not need to do any healing at all in order to comply with the order given, cool, they have not yet used their ability that turn and might do so in another battle.

Because of popular demand, here's a few extra notes about the scenario you'll be playing:

Items

Your scouts will see whether an item exists in a hex or not, but unless that item is claimed by a player side, they won't tell you what that item is. There's one exception to this- Gems are immediately identified as such.

To claim an item, a side needs to have a Commander unit in the same hex as the item, and ALL the units there must also belong to that side. Claiming starts upon ending turn, and if successful, that is nobody moved into the hex while that side is off-turn, the item will be given to the claiming side on the start of its next turn. (Usual TBf<> rule, in other words.)

Items are usually uniques. Gems are an exception, and there are a few more. Places where items appear are symmetric on the map, but that doesn't mean that the same item will be in the other hex, of course.

YMMV, but I'd rate the items as reasonably powerful. Two of them in particular.

Critters

You will see that critter stacks belong to factions of their own. These are "dumb" factions: they won't coordinate attacks on you, retreat from your forces etc. But if there are builders/sappers in a hex, they may build forts or lay mines respectively.

All critter factions start neutral to both Player Sides, and they'll let you be; you can even pass through their hexes unambushed. If a Side attacks a critter stack however, all critter stacks of the same faction become hostile to that side however. There's one possible exception-

- that will probably never happen, but just in case. If you move in a hex with a neutral, but not led, stack, you will be forced to fight. This will not make that stack's faction hostile to you however.

Your own unled stacks WILL attack neutral stacks, if they enter a hex with such: ambush if that hex was not scouted, willful attack if it was (and your units cannot willfully attack again that turn). This situation WILL turn the defending, neutral stack's faction against you.

Critter stacks are often a mere annoyance- except when guarding something like an item (which they will not let you claim) or a spawn point (likewise), when taking them out will take a bit more muscle than usual.

The strength of individual neutral units is not greater than that of your own units. No gargantuan monsters in there.

Some Commanders of neutral stacks have specials that you cannot choose for your own units. Most of these are joke specials, no in-game effect. Except about three, which you'd like to have available :P
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:09 am, edited 22 times in total.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Re: The Battle for Mine Island

Postby Nihila » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:06 pm

What Sihoiba was asking in the old thread was:

Do all three component sides of an alliance have to pop a commander at the start of the game, or can one side choose not to if at least one of their allies does?
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:12 am

Just like in previous TBf<>s, ALL players need to pop at least one commander at the start.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 am

Can we get a legend added to the map? I can't tell which are hills and mountains. :(
WaterMonkey314

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Right you are. Look again at the first post. Refresh it if necessary, but the map should now appear with a legend.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Does Healomancy negate damage before or after defense does?
WaterMonkey314

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Damage after Defense.
So if the enemy stack deals (after Defense is taken into account) 90 Hits (and chooses no targeting), and you have a 10 Attack Healomancer, rather than suffering 90Hits loss you just lose 80.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sihoiba » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:33 pm

The WeatherToffs are fielding the following units:

Warm Front: 3-0-0-5, 3 Cargo, Flyer, Ranged, Shockomancy, Healomancy, Siege, Dancefighting, Sapper, Cost 126

Cold Front: 5-0-0-5, 5 Cargo, Flyer, Ranged, Shockomancy, Healomancy, Siege, Dancefighting, Sapper, Cost 350

Fog: 3-1-4-1, 3 Cargo, Walker, Ranged, Foolamancy, Dancefighting, Cost 1004

Hail: 5-5-4-1, 3 Cargo, Ranged, Dancefighting, 122 (Commander version 214)
Sihoiba

Postby HerbieRai » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Evil Imaginationland

units:
Orc: 3/9/4/4 walker, siege, range, dancefighting, cost: 194
Storm trooper: 3/9/4/4 walker, siege, range, dancefighting, shockamancy, cost: 275
boogyman: 8/8/4/4 walker, range, dancefighting, healomancy, cost: 608 (801 for commander)
ghost: 5/0/0/5 hover, range, dancefighitng, scout, sapper, siege, cost: 250 (282 for commander)
HerbieRai

Postby Nihila » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:09 pm

The Sesunese Federation: Now with way more awful chemistry puns!

Units:
Hydric Warrior: 5-10-4-5, Walker, Ranged, Dance-Fighting, Cost: 300 (Commander: 452)
The bread and butter of Sesun's armies, Hydric Warriors are deployed in massive formations.

Nacl Aq: 5-10-4-5, Walker, Ranged, Dance-Fighting, Shockamancy, Cost: 450 (Commander: 602)
Highly conductive troopers, the Nacl Aq often fire off bolts of electricity, stunning enemy units.

Oxide-Kami: 5-5-4-5; Walker; Ranged; Dance-Fighting; Healomancy; Cost=263 (Commander: 355)
These Natural Allies will bond with almost anything. They can burn the edges of a wound together, healing it, but causing discomfort to the victim/patient.

Zer OK: 5-10-4-0(.8); Garrison; Ranged; Dance-Fighting; Cost=195 (Commander: 347)
Despite being completely motionless in normal circumstances, Zer OK will spring to life if threatened, causing combat situations to heat up rapidly.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Excellent, so 3 players (aka, one full side) have sent unit designs and we'll pretty soon rev this up! I'd wait for everybody to have displayed their 4 public units before starting though.

EDIT: right, I should also make a unit spreadsheet with the currently publicly known units. Will do and it will be available tomorrow.

EDIT, EDIT: HerbieRai, I understand that your units do not have Cargo, since the costs that you write are valid for Cargo 0. Pity that the Bogeyman has no Cargo, for instance, but I can understand, Bogeymen are scary :)

EDIT^3: Zer OK. Heh heh.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 pm

BLAND, thetobias won't be able to play this round, so do LtDave and I just split the pop points in half?

Also, I'm still waiting on LtDave to comment on my proposed units. I do have a question - can we save extra unit slots if we don't have anything to fill them with?
WaterMonkey314

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:48 am

(Known unit sheet, as it stands now, to come later)

WaterMonkey314 wrote:BLAND, thetobias won't be able to play this round, so do LtDave and I just split the pop points in half?

Also, I'm still waiting on LtDave to comment on my proposed units. I do have a question - can we save extra unit slots if we don't have anything to fill them with?

1) Split in half: not exactly. I'd rather there be three real players in your alliance, reason a) being so that you have 15 unit types. Reason b) is so that more people can play :)

Suggested solutions- either co-opt a replacement (I seem to have noticed one or two people who were interested to watch) or sock-puppet a replacement. As in, we'll pretend there's a third player with you, and this virtual player has 5 unit types of their own etc.

2) Save unit type slots: NO. Reason being, I expect sides to enter the game with known unit types, otherwise there's a chance someone would design a unit to be a counter to something of the opponent's. This is an interesting possibility, but it's not how this particular battle was meant to roll, and would not be fair since one side pretty much posted their units.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Twoy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Bland,
You should be able to edit your original post and change the subject of the thread to: The Battle for Mine Island (Need One More Player). That should get your last player on board without too long of a wait.
Twoy

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Right you are. Will do.

Also check out the first post, where a link to a spreadsheet containing the publicly known units is located.

Lots of "wasted" specials (0 damage Shockamancy doesn't do much).

Everyone is Dancefighting Ranged. Mmkay, let's see.

Note:

Sihoiba, by my count a Hail costs 147.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Re: The Battle for Mine Island (1 player wanted, apply here!)

Postby Foolamancer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 pm

If there's still room for a player, I wouldn't mind joining in. It'll be my first game, though, so you'll have to give me a short while to read through the rules and create my units.
"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Foolamancer

Postby Nihila » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Foolamancer, you should start corresponding with LTDave and WaterMonkey314 about units.
Nihila

Postby Foolamancer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Nihila wrote:Foolamancer, you should start corresponding with LTDave and WaterMonkey314 about units.

All righty then. I shall fight in the name of the Sovereign Nation of Stultis Genti!

Ave in stultus veneficus!

EDIT: Assuming that the GM accepts my application, of course.
- Terry Pratchett
Foolamancer

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:01 pm

But of course you're welcome, Foolamancer! Looking forward to see your devious unit roster.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Foolamancer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Awesome. I'm currently working on it; it shouldn't take too long. I'm just trying to find the most cost-effective way of building these units.
- Terry Pratchett
Foolamancer

Next

Return to Your Games