Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby jkosta » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say I found that update beautiful all the way through. Thanks.
jkosta
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 am

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby drachefly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:26 pm

mortissimus wrote:3/5/10 correlates to 10/1, 10/2 and 10/3, rounded, and 1/4/8 to 8/1, 8/2 and 8/3, rounded down. So I think we have enough indication that the game engine rounds down.


I think we have enough indication that the attuned artifact bonus is not the same as the leadership bonus, based on the 1 part of that 1/4/8.
User avatar
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby Shusagi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

drachefly wrote:
mortissimus wrote:3/5/10 correlates to 10/1, 10/2 and 10/3, rounded, and 1/4/8 to 8/1, 8/2 and 8/3, rounded down. So I think we have enough indication that the game engine rounds down.


I think we have enough indication that the attuned artifact bonus is not the same as the leadership bonus, based on the 1 part of that 1/4/8.


Indeed. 8/3 = 2 when rounded down.
Shusagi
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:40 am

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby mortissimus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:28 pm

ScegfOd wrote:since when does 8/3=2.6bar round down below 2?


Oh, they are using that ordinary normal scale that includes a 2. Nevermind then. [/poor excuse]
mortissimus
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:04 am

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby Afjord » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:43 pm

One always have to wonder, how Erfworld have been able to keep such a high standard for so long. Updates always seems to make me a small bit happier anyway :D

Yours truly
Afjord
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:33 am

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby DevilDan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:51 pm

A Sylvia post brings everyone running, yes, but this really is good stuff. We like the tragic, we know the status of her plot-armor is precarious, but the insouciant attitude works in a different way than even Wrigley's determination and dutifulness, poignant as I found his part).
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
User avatar
DevilDan
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby Oberon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Pointyleaf wrote:
Oberon wrote: And then refer to the value of the "assets" currently in the Social Security Trust Fund. Here's an interesting fact: Those "assets" are valued at exactly nothing. What is your concept of a trust fund?


Hmm. I was just reading along, looking forward to posting my idea about stack bonuses (+1 for every doubling in number, until someone else posted the idea first), but I decided to comment on this. The SS Trust Fund is made up of US Treasuries. Are these worthless? (Signs point to 'no', given how many of them the Chinese have been buying, and at retail value, too.) Honestly, if US Treasuries become worthless, the dollar is also worthless.
The SS Trust Fund is not made up of US Treasuries, it is not made up of anything. It is a construct of promises. Promises against the good will of the US government, to be sure, but that is not anywhere at all the same as a trust fund in a bank that only you may draw against. Read the disclaimer at the bottom of each SS statement (not check, I'm not that old, but I get fairly regular SS statements) if you want to drink the cool fresh waters of reason. Paraphrased and very simplistically, it states that your projected SS benefit is subject to change at any time, and is not guaranteed in any way. Any law may be passed at any time which will reduce your benefits, increase your benefit age, or otherwise invalidate your anticipated benefit.

Me, I don't event work SS into my retirement plans. I don't expect it to be in place in anywhere the same form that it is in now, despite the fact that I'm paying into it with every paycheck. I'll try my best to be sure that I can take care of myself and my spouse, because I don't want to bank anything upon a promise which may be revoked at any time and for any reason. Do I spend less and save more due to this calculation? You bet. But I'm also atypical in that I don't ride a balance on any credit card, ever. Credit cards are unfortunately a necessary evil for building a good credit rating, and they are just about required for any adult in our society. Try to rent a car without a CC... But no one needs to be sucked into the trap of high interest rates for unnecessary purchases. Make them work for you. Up the man!
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby drachefly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 am

Oberon wrote:The SS Trust Fund is not made up of US Treasuries, it is not made up of anything. It is a construct of promises.

What do you think a US Treasury IS? He doesn't mean the actual US Treasury building. He means T-notes and T-bills.

Oberon wrote:Any law may be passed at any time which will reduce your benefits, increase your benefit age, or otherwise invalidate your anticipated benefit.


While this is true, the trust fund exists. It is not imaginary. It is held by the US government, which disburses funds from it according to the law. It is these disbursements which are subject to change, not the trust fund's existence.
User avatar
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 am

Oberon wrote:The SS Trust Fund is not made up of US Treasuries, it is not made up of anything. It is a construct of promises. Promises against the good will of the US government, to be sure, but that is not anywhere at all the same as a trust fund in a bank that only you may draw against.


If you're trying to draw a connection between the money you put in to SS and the money you take out, then yes, there's nothing there that's reserved for *you*, since SS spends the money you're putting in to pay out people who are currently drawing. There is (or at least was) a surplus going into SS, however, and that surplus was invested in Treasury Bills. (This is the SS Trust Fund, which is a subset of the money in Social Security. It's projected to run out in under 20 years, possibly much sooner.)

Seeing as how the primary reason banks are considered secure is that the FDIC (i.e. the Government) insures them, and that banks are allowed to lend out between 4x and 10x as much money as they actually possess (thus creating money from nothing), using a bank as an example of something that is more secure (or at least 'made up of something' more) than a treasury bill (which is what the SS Trust Fund purchased with its surplus) is false.

So, Oberon, what you may be arguing might be correct from your perspective (if you're arguing that Social Security is not a personal fund like a personal trust fund is), but the words you chose to argue your point create a statement that is incorrect.
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:10 pm

DevilDan wrote:A Sylvia post brings everyone running, yes, but this really is good stuff. We like the tragic, we know the status of her plot-armor is precarious, but the insouciant attitude works in a different way than even Wrigley's determination and dutifulness, poignant as I found his part).


My sentiments exactly. Apart from the Plot Armour part, for some reason I'm thinking there's a big fat bullseye over Sylvia. At least she didn't mention her lifelong ambition about having a Dwagon farm in Montana yet; nor expressed anything like being on the last day before retiring.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby Decorus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Social Security is in no real danger, unless someone is stupid enough to raise the age cap on retirement.
Raising the Age Cap forces people to work longer and cuts into the job pool for the next generation of workers.
This in turn prevents them from finding jobs and paying into Social Security.
Fixing Social Security is a simple matter of removing the 105,000 dollar cap on the Social Security tax.
Basicly there are a group of Americans who don't pay thier fair share of Social Security, but can still collect full benefits.
Its pretty simple math.

Its just like increasing Tax Rates actually helps improve everyone's earnings.
Lets say you pay 75% taxes on anything above 1 million a year.
This will actually have several effects.
1. Lower ticket prices for concerts, movies, sporting events etc.
2. Higher salaries and better benefits for other workers.
3. Increase in consumer buying power leading to increased profits for everyone which creates a cycle.

Also the quality of goods and services will improve, but that is a whole other story.
Decorus
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby Oberon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 am

drachefly wrote:While this is true, the trust fund exists.
That's a lot like saying that the money you set aside for gas is a "trust fund." Then you want a few beers, and suddenly it's just as spendable as all your other money. Sure, you promise to "pay yourself back" so that you can buy gas later, but that's money you haven't yet earned. The trust fund does not exist.
MarbitChow wrote:There is (or at least was) a surplus going into SS, however, and that surplus was invested in Treasury Bills.
Close. The money was spent. And then IOUs were drafted promising to pay it back. Just like your decision to buy beer and pay yourself back so that your gas fund can actually buy you some gas.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby Afjord » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:51 am

Decorus wrote:Its just like increasing Tax Rates actually helps improve everyone's earnings.
Lets say you pay 75% taxes on anything above 1 million a year.
This will actually have several effects.
1. Lower ticket prices for concerts, movies, sporting events etc.
2. Higher salaries and better benefits for other workers.
3. Increase in consumer buying power leading to increased profits for everyone which creates a cycle.

Also the quality of goods and services will improve, but that is a whole other story.


As a student in economics, I have to disagree. Raising taxes have never and will never "3. Increase in consumer buying power leading to increased profits for everyone which creates a cycle." nor improve "--- the quality of goods and services...". It will however, or rather it might, benefit you in other ways. Especially companies will benefit from higher taxes (ironically enough) as governments tend to spend a lot on infrastructure and other areas that involves private organisations.
But it will not (directly) result in increased bying power for the average consumer. I could propably write several pages on this subject, but i'll spare you for my crude english, atleast for now.

Yours truly
Afjord
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:33 am

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
DevilDan wrote:A Sylvia post brings everyone running, yes, but this really is good stuff. We like the tragic, we know the status of her plot-armor is precarious, but the insouciant attitude works in a different way than even Wrigley's determination and dutifulness, poignant as I found his part).


My sentiments exactly. Apart from the Plot Armour part, for some reason I'm thinking there's a big fat bullseye over Sylvia. At least she didn't mention her lifelong ambition about having a Dwagon farm in Montana yet; nor expressed anything like being on the last day before retiring.


Moving to Montana soon
Gonna be a dwagon farm tycoon
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
User avatar
Dr Pepper
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: santa maria, ca

Re: Book 2 - Text Updates 039

Postby Oberon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:
DevilDan wrote:A Sylvia post brings everyone running, yes, but this really is good stuff. We like the tragic, we know the status of her plot-armor is precarious, but the insouciant attitude works in a different way than even Wrigley's determination and dutifulness, poignant as I found his part).


My sentiments exactly. Apart from the Plot Armour part, for some reason I'm thinking there's a big fat bullseye over Sylvia. At least she didn't mention her lifelong ambition about having a Dwagon farm in Montana yet; nor expressed anything like being on the last day before retiring.

Moving to Montana soon
Gonna be a dwagon farm tycoon
More along the lines of "I would liked to have seen *koff* *koff* Montana *die*", from THfRO. Not that Zappa isn't awesome all by his lonesome.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:59 am

Previous

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abb3w, Bing [Bot], El_Chupacabra and 16 guests