Book 2 – Text Updates 040

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 040

Postby Vreejack » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:12 pm

melhelix wrote:Ooo! Morticia Addams in the background!

Morticia Frump Addams is in the front (played by the late Carolyn Jones) next to her husband Gomez.
That's Wednesday in the background on the tricycle, next to her brother Pugsley. Fester Frump isn't shown.

Gotta love Morticia's dress.

edit: I'm referring to the Addams Family DVD cover a few pages back (you cannot miss it) and I assume the OP was too. I certainly don't see anyone in Xie's drawing who matches that description....but then again that makes the Addams Family video seriously off topic. Hm. I dunno. :?
Last edited by Vreejack on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby drachefly » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Sokrotes wrote: The theory of relativity, equal and opposite reactions.

Galileo gave us relativity mk. 1. Einstein gave us relativity mk. 2. And yeah, I think 99% of participants figured this one out.

As for the judge... the shadowing is strong on all these characters. I don't see that as indicating skin tone. We'll see. And as for whether it's Scalia, well, you don't need to agree with him (I don't), but he's known for being a pretty sharp cookie. He has the full dozen marbles.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby ftl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:54 pm

atalex wrote:Don Vito looks older than Caesar

Seriously, where do people get the name Don Vito? I've seen people call him that around here, and I have no idea where it comes from. His name is "Don King".

Am I missing someplace where people got that name? Or is it just a mistake, like the various misspellings of megalogwiffs?
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby throwingrocks » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:33 pm

atalex wrote:
Kaed wrote: I also wonder if units even have aging in Erfworld. Do they live forever, barring croaking on the battlefield? They certainly never seem to age, instead popping as-is, all grown up.

They pop fully grown, but it appears that natural Signamancy causes particularly long-lived units, especially those in authority positions, to appear older. Don Vito looks older than Caesar and Slately looks much older than anyone else we've seen, although, of course, both could have popped looking like that. Also, Jillian looks older and more mature to me, although that may also be the change in artist.

It's not just a change in the artist.
http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2 ... ration.png
throwingrocks

Postby Infidel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:20 pm

fjolnir wrote:Three things: Isaac is supposed to be referential to at least 2 different Isaacs, Isaac Newton and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISAAC_(cipher)
It seems that the entire might of the MK is weak compared to the rest of the world which seems strange considering how overpowering magic is on Erf
The charlie=apple reference can easily be lost but it's basically that the Great Minds Think Alike, while Charlie:Image

Ohh, it has the Charlie signature rainbow effect too. Nice catch.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Oberon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:46 pm

atalex wrote:
drachefly wrote:Who's the guy pushing the swing? Looks like Supreme Court justice Scalia.
Let's bloody well HOPE not!
I could see him presented as a thinkamancer. All Supreme Court Justices would be candidates, it is an elite circle of people who for the most part are highly cerebral, many are broadly published, and all are deserving of respect. No matter your personal politics.

But Morticia Addams? I'll agree that the dress matches, although my take was the little mermaid's fluke. Hey, it's a background figure, gimme a break! ;) But to my mind neither are intellectuals. Although I'd vote for Morticia over Ariel...
Avens wrote:Now I really want Parson to visit, just to hear the conversation he'd have revolving around 'playgrounds' and 'children'. That's right, castors. Parson has mastered and is familiar with the intricate workings of your apparatus. Stare in fear and awe.
Even better, imagine the dialogue:
Parson: Where I come from, the least intellectually developed of our kind have mastered the use of this apparatus. They take to it instinctually, with no training needed.
Casters: !!
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Vreejack » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:55 pm

So. After referring to Isaac Newton http://www.google.com/images?q=isaac+newton in more ways than I could count, Xin drew Carl Sagan.

Am I missing something?
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby Sonic Screwdriver » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 am

Maybe that's the scene of the playground after Isaac already ran out, and that's Carl Sagan raising his head to look?
Last edited by Sonic Screwdriver on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic Screwdriver
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BakaGrappler » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:20 am

joosy wrote:Perhaps a clue to Charlie's limitations? The Arkendish gives him unmatched Thinkamancy abilities BUT apparently that limits his power to wherever cosmic G-strings reach (as if that was any limiation to begin with, of course). By limiting where Charlie can reach demonstrates that it CAN be done and that he can be 'stopped. Perhaps this webcomic will end with The Arkendish being placed within the great Temple or a cage of similar material being used to trap Charlie himself.

But Charlie's power is very encompassing. I think the reason the Thinkamancers are all so very on Parson's side may be because he does not have a G-String, being from a different reality and cannot be affected by G-String manipulation the way other people are. Or even if he does, Parson has proven he has the mental fortitude to pull away from being controlled by Erfworld, as evidenced by his ability to cuss now. Or the Thinkamancers "overheard" the Hippiemancer's idea for ending war everywhere, which Charlie would be very against being the ultimate mercenary, and are jumping aboard the bandwagon to oust their own enemy.

But as a measure of Charlie's power...Well, I think the Turnamancy Ending The Turn trick was done by a Three-Caster link of Turnamancy, Thinkamancy, and Weirdamancy to force a turn's end. Remember, Charlie had the link done remotely, but the previous two Three Caster links we've seen all had their hands holding each others. And it required five Master Level Thinkamancers to undo without ill effects.

Charlie did his link remotely and severed it instantly, without backlash, and under his own cognitive judgment (which is perhaps impossible for other linked thinkamancers due to the subsumed mental state). And he still had the Juice left over to have conference calls immediately after. While Charlie does seem to be "Final Boss" material, I would say his proven limitations is that he only has complete domination of the Thinkamancy sphere, as he cannot use Lookamancy and uses Archon scouts, and we have no evidence he can use Foolamancy.

...Though Stanly seems to have control over Rhyme-0-mancy and Shockmancy with his Hammer, using lightning and music at the same time. And Wanda's pliers extend her Croackamancy into the Life realm...what other realm could Charlie's Archendish extend his powers into?

And who else wants to see Stanley and his K.I.S.S. Army do a few concerts at the amphitheater in Gobwin's Knob?
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby Dr Pepper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 am

effataigus wrote:Who wants to bet the temple is a giant tin foil hat?

And the cage was made by a weirdamancer named Faraday.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Toper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:48 am

The text update was funny, but I guess they put the picture in because they didn't trust people to get the joke? Even though the joke isn't that funny if you only get it through the picture, and the picture is obnoxiously heavy-handed if you got the joke already? Oh well. Maybe they just felt like they had to draw something.
Toper
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Oberon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:50 am

Vreejack wrote:So. After referring to Isaac Newton http://www.google.com/images?q=isaac+newton in more ways than I could count, Xin drew Carl Sagan.

Am I missing something?
You might be missing the fact that Erfworld characters are very often, if not always, multi-layered references. Do not expect "Issac" to be solely representative of Issac Newton, just as Duncan is not solely representative of either Duncan Donuts (Duncan is a "mocha-skinned man", and Duncan Donuts is a competitor in the coffee market), or Lobot, the Star Wars character his appearance very strongly invokes. There are many more examples, but it's rather clear that Rob enjoys multi-layered references.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby melhelix » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:51 am

Vreejack wrote:
melhelix wrote:Ooo! Morticia Addams in the background!

Morticia Frump Addams is in the front (played by the late Carolyn Jones) next to her husband Gomez.
That's Wednesday in the background on the tricycle, next to her brother Pugsley. Fester Frump isn't shown.

Gotta love Morticia's dress.

edit: I'm referring to the Addams Family DVD cover a few pages back (you cannot miss it) and I assume the OP was too. I certainly don't see anyone in Xie's drawing who matches that description....but then again that makes the Addams Family video seriously off topic. Hm. I dunno. :?

Since I apparently fail with words, I will use interpertive dance.
Here:
Morticia1.jpg
Morticia1.jpg (85.33 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
melhelix
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:47 am

melhelix wrote:Since I apparently fail with words, I will use interpertive dance.

It's not the same dress, the woman in the playground has shorter sleeves (they end about the elbow) with broader endings.
teratorn

Postby JustDoug » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:53 am

the_tick_rules wrote:How exactly are they going to protect him?

Or if they will at all. Imagine that message as a telegram. Do they interpret it as "Protect Lord Hamster's passage to SR's portal through MK," or as, "Lord Hamster intends to pass through the MK from GK to SR's portal. Protect it from him."

It is a bit ambiguous, as most overly terse, short messages are.
JustDoug

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:35 am

Hidden Sanity wrote:Don't forget I also quoted an earlier comic at the same time! :P

Ah yes. From LIAB 3 :D
Rob

Postby Raza » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:11 am

Toper wrote:The text update was funny, but I guess they put the picture in because they didn't trust people to get the joke? Even though the joke isn't that funny if you only get it through the picture, and the picture is obnoxiously heavy-handed if you got the joke already? Oh well. Maybe they just felt like they had to draw something.

I only got it through the picture (not a native english speaker; I know all the words, but visualising every-day objects with them comes more slowly), and thought it was all the funnier for that.

The text update read to be as a bit dry in its technical descriptiveness of these contraptions; I interpreted them in the context of mechanics; math and physics. Seeing how it all fell together into one big alternative interpretation with the image was great; probably a nicer delivery than realizing it slowly would've been.
Raza

Postby danhaas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:58 am

Raza wrote:I only got it through the picture (not a native english speaker; I know all the words, but visualising every-day objects with them comes more slowly), and thought it was all the funnier for that.

The text update read to be as a bit dry in its technical descriptiveness of these contraptions; I interpreted them in the context of mechanics; math and physics. Seeing how it all fell together into one big alternative interpretation with the image was great; probably a nicer delivery than realizing it slowly would've been.

I'm in the same situation (I had to see the drawing of the seasaw to understand what Isaac was describing), but the drawing was also priceless for the greyface thinkamancers playing in the playground: doing real work in a swinger and discussing on a merry-go-round.
danhaas

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Anyone else kinda laughed when the thinkamancers apparently play in an elementary school playground on their free time?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Hidden Sanity » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 pm

I smiled, but the joke was spread out more as I'm better at turning words into mental images than most people are; so as the text progressed, I built a mental playground. Although I admit that after the first discription, I was thinking 'super-market ride' and not playground, it was quickly replaced by the end of the swing discriptor.
Hidden Sanity

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions