Detailed IRC instructions (including standalone chat programs)
I'm a noob at IRC, but here is what I learned:
IRC is something you reserve per server. For Instant Messaging, you have one yahoo IM or google IM account. There's only one (virtual) server. Yes, google/yahoo have many, many servers, but your single yahoo IM or google IM login is the same on any client and you log into a single virtual "yahoo" server. If you try logging onto Yahoo IM in more than one spot, you are kicked off the old one. Google does allow multiple logins to google IM, but that can get messy when replies go to the wrong chat client.
For IRC, your login is just like Yahoo IM. You have one account for each IRC server.
A better way to think or IRC chat is it's just like a forum--you have one login per board, but that board can have multiple forums and topics. Thus if you want to use a 3rd party client such as Pidgen, Trillian, or any others to access the Erfworld servers, you need to either setup to login anonymous, or have a registered login for that server.
Here is the TreeOfWorlds Wiki for using IRC on their server: TreeOfWorlds IRC Wiki
They have instructions there for setting up the program mIRC (mini IRC) at that link.
For setting up Pidgen and other chat programs, here's what I did:
- Manage Account >> Add Account >> Add IRC account
- Username: Your temporary username. ex: Joe_temporary. Note if someone else already has it or has registered it, you will logged in but your name will be changed to LostSoul(random#). You can request a fixed login (similar to a Forum login; it's a fixed name for you); see the advanced post or the T.O.W. IRC wiki.
- Server: irc.treeofworlds.net
- Port: 6667
- Save and activate that account.
That gave me three open chat windows in pidgen (Arcadia.ArgentCitidel.net, TelLaread).
In any window, enter command: "/join #Erfworld
" and a new window pops up with the Erfworld chat...a fourth window.
There are reasons for multiple chat windows for one IRC. I don't understand all of them, but I do know you call (/join) your individual channel (#Erfworld, etc) from one of the open windows. Thus one chat could have 10 different and unique channels open, all using your same single nickname (nick).
I'm new at all this and will update this as I learn more. I encourage others to correct my mistakes and make this better.Some tips:
- Commands are prefaced with forward slash by the shift key. " / " If you get it wrong, you will be teased.
- IRC commands are not case sensitive. The Wikipedia IRC Commands page shows them all caps, but you can use lower case.
- Command: /nick You can change your nickname with the command: "/nick NewNickname"
- Command: /quit To exit out, you can close the window and you will die out when the server can't find you. Or you can type "/quit" and a standard message will be left. "/quit message" will quit (say you exited the room), and append your custom message, such at "thanks for the help."