Summer Updates - 010

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 010

Postby raphfrk » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Arkenputtyknife wrote:
raphfrk wrote:However, what individual skills do the lookamancer and the thinkamancer have that you can't access?

All of them.

Not sure I agree. However, I guess it could go either way.

Maggie did communicate with Stanley while linked. This shouldn't have required any of the other casters.

However, you are correct that we didn't see the person to person (rather than Thinkamancer to person) communications.

There was table to warlord communications, but that would fall into the use of the table category.

How many illusions, which did not depend on the link, did Jack create while he was linked?

I have conceded that Jack's skills were used up. His skills are short range and in-hex effects.

How many units did he veil? That man could veil an entire city. He could certainly have set up something to confuse GK's approaching attackers. Why didn't he?

It may have been considered pointless, or Stanley may not have considered it. Also, Jack wasn't in a position to offer suggestions.

But I'm willing to bet that asking Maggie to send a Thinkagram while she was linked would have had the same effect as Parson's talking to Misty.

My view is that the key is treating the person an an individual. As long as you treat the linked casters as a single very powerful caster, then you are OK. (and that caster has access to all the spells of its constituents and the extra ones).

raphfrk wrote:However, it looks like as long as you don't say one of the casters' names, then most of the risk is when the link is broken.

Um, what? Wanda laid into Parson because he treated her as an individual, not because he called her by name.

He asked her her name here

The process was:

Parson: <are you the foolamancer>
Misty: <no lookamancer>
<discussion about moving units at night>
Parson: What's you name?
Misty: Lookamancer ... was called misty

If you look at the panel where she says the Misty line (8), it is the saying of her name that triggers an effect.

I don't really have a lot else to say in this discussion

I don't think there is conclusive evidence either way. We don't see the linked up casters casting anything other than the table and Maggie communicating with units (and ofc the volcano spell).

I was more confident in my view before this thread :).

[edit]
From this page:

Parson: ... and we can't do it [veil] with the Eyemancers linked up

That could mean that Jack must stay in the capital.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Arkenputtyknife » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:13 pm

raphfrk wrote:Not sure I agree. However, I guess it could go either way.

Okay, this is getting out of hand, and I have no idea how much farther we have to go before this topic is exhausted, so I've started new thread in Everything Else Erfworld for it.
Grammar: It's not the law, it's just a good idea.
Arkenputtyknife

Postby joosy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:15 pm

BarGamer wrote:
So, what'd you think of the Twilight movie? ;)

<sigh> I should have read the books and saved myself the movie. I remember groaning outloud when I found that in this world Vampires "glitter" in the sun and not burst into flame. If pre-pubescent teenybopper glares could kill I would have died many times over that day.

I just hope they don't make the werewolves as lame. .. like having them sprout day-glo Sailor Moon stickers when struck by silver bullets or something.
joosy

Postby shneekeythelost » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:01 am

Yanno, he may be standing on Royal protocol simply because he knows how much Jillian absolutely despises it... just to twist the knife a bit. I rather gather that he doesn't much like Jillian... it'd be about his speed.
shneekeythelost

Postby moose o death » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:29 am

it's safe assumption jillian is an heir or else she would have frozen when faq was defeated. she's not frozen and has barbarian status, thus she can move into a city and start a new side. either FAQ was royal or it was overlord, and ansom was a snooty jerk about non royals.

the conversations were only ever about are you sure she's a royal, not that she has a fallen capital somewhere.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby raphfrk » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:55 am

moose o death wrote:it's safe assumption jillian is an heir or else she would have frozen when faq was defeated. she's not frozen and has barbarian status, thus she can move into a city and start a new side. either FAQ was royal or it was overlord, and ansom was a snooty jerk about non royals.

She would have disbanded, if she wasn't an heir.

Ofc, that gets back to the discussion of what "disband" means :). The chain of events may have been something like

- Banhammer dies
- Jillian becomes queen/ruler
- Faq's cities are razed by Stanley
- Jillian becomes a barbarian (this step may count as disbanding)

That assumes that Banhammer was killed before the last city fell, which seems reasonable. The rule for a city falling is all defending units in the city are killed. Thus, Faq city would have had to be the last city to fall, and he would have had to be the last unit killed, for his death to also mark the falling of the Faq's last city.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:28 am

either way a piker isn't becoming a barbarian from what we know. they are simple units and seem to belong to the city that pops them. i do remember reading that if the leader is croaked units cease to function until a new side either claims them, or croaks them. jillian is not frozen so must be a ruler with no city.

which ties in with ansom and vinny's discussion about whether she's a royal. she IS a leader, they would see bonuses on their units when she's leading them if they can't directly see her stats. their discussion are of the nature of her leadership.

either way i still don't like these people. luckily i hadn't found erfworld at the point the last transylvito stuff happened so i just sort of glazed those pages. i love finding webcomics that are far advanced in their progress so i can blitz through 1200 pages in a night (that comic was JACK)
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Sandis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:09 pm

raphfrk wrote:
moose o death wrote:it's safe assumption jillian is an heir or else she would have frozen when faq was defeated. she's not frozen and has barbarian status, thus she can move into a city and start a new side. either FAQ was royal or it was overlord, and ansom was a snooty jerk about non royals.

She would have disbanded, if she wasn't an heir.

Ofc, that gets back to the discussion of what "disband" means :). The chain of events may have been something like

- Banhammer dies
- Jillian becomes queen/ruler
- Faq's cities are razed by Stanley
- Jillian becomes a barbarian (this step may count as disbanding)

That assumes that Banhammer was killed before the last city fell, which seems reasonable. The rule for a city falling is all defending units in the city are killed. Thus, Faq city would have had to be the last city to fall, and he would have had to be the last unit killed, for his death to also mark the falling of the Faq's last city.

I thought all units above Commander became barbarians when the last city falls, as well as everybody lucky enough to be in their stacks.
Avatar by Muzzafar, thanks for letting me use it!

http://mirita.mybrute.com
Sandis

Postby raphfrk » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Sandis wrote:I thought all units above Commander became barbarians when the last city falls, as well as everybody lucky enough to be in their stacks.

According to one of Parson's klogs, if the last city of a side falls, all "field units" disband. The question is what "disband" means.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Also, what do you mean by "above" Commander?

Only the Ruler is maybe not a Commander, or a 'regular' unit (what I call troops).
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Winged » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Perhaps the don wants her to build her cities and act as a buffer between him and gk, better to let somone else fall then to waist troops gaurding a city she can run for him, of course given that there is already going to be alot of things on gk's to do list, so this seems unlikely.

more likely by far in my oppinion is that he is aware of what has happened to ansome and wants to use her as a pawn against him, or perhaps intends to make some sort of trade. Hell for all we know he may be trading her to charles
Winged

Postby Sandis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:Also, what do you mean by "above" Commander?

Only the Ruler is maybe not a Commander, or a 'regular' unit (what I call troops).

Sorry, poor word choice. What I meant was "Commander and up".
Avatar by Muzzafar, thanks for letting me use it!

http://mirita.mybrute.com
Sandis

Postby moose o death » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:05 pm

raphfrk wrote:
Sandis wrote:I thought all units above Commander became barbarians when the last city falls, as well as everybody lucky enough to be in their stacks.

According to one of Parson's klogs, if the last city of a side falls, all "field units" disband. The question is what "disband" means.

simple, trashpile. what else can it mean? the discard pile in a card game, tossed out next turn with the corpses to clear the field for other people

anyway that was never the discussion. some people were not sure whether it was common knowledge that jillian was a royal. it's pretty clear she was either royal OR just an overlord. to all intents and purposes only an overlord has truly free will in erfworld so you cannot exist if yours falls. if stanley left faq unattended, the city may actually have a full contingent of troops. he clearly didn't take the city, the fighting was over in one turn so he and his dragons probably went straight for the king. didn't claim the city, took the casters they wanted and left. maybe transylvito did some recon on the area's FAQ may have been in and discovered the city is still full of troops and jillian would be needed to make them loyal to someone.

if that's the case, putting jillian on that throne and making sure she's in an alliance with them is the best case scenario
moose o death

Postby Winged » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm not so sure about the "city still guarded" idea, Jillian seemed pretty sure that the place was destroyed, and for that matter Why would she be a barbarian if the city was still standing? Even if she had no intrest in leading would she have the option of chooseing to be a barbarian?

Also it was my impression that FAQs main line of defence was jack cloaking it, but jack is gone now, and there is no word of them having a any commander, so not only is it not hidden any more, but it must be easy takeings. Then there is Stan, he clearly thought his personal knights and dwagons where enough to take the place, but they where beat by the vamps, by that logic can not the vamps take the city without help?
Winged

Postby raphfrk » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:28 pm

moose o death wrote:simple, trashpile. what else can it mean? the discard pile in a card game, tossed out next turn with the corpses to clear the field for other people

Sounds reasonable.

anyway that was never the discussion.

I'll admit I didn't follow it much. However, I though the question was what happens if you disband a field unit and how this relates to Jillian. Was she a field unit which was disbanded when Faq fell.

My view is the process given in my last post. As an Heir or Queen, she would be converted to barbarian when Faq was destroyed. Normal field units de-pop.

if stanley left faq unattended, the city may actually have a full contingent of troops. ........ maybe transylvito did some recon on the area's FAQ may have been in and discovered the city is still full of troops and jillian would be needed to make them loyal to someone.

In effect, they froze due to the King dying?

If the cities are still Faq cities, then Jillian should have been converted to a Queen as soon as Banhammer died, since she was Heir. Ofc, perhaps, Banhammer didn't make her Heir in the end (it may not be automatic) and he didn't want a warrior to become Queen.

It is possible that the cities are still in operation and Jillian is already Queen, and just doesn't realise it. If they had no Thinkamancer, they couldn't contact her and ask her to return home. Without a Ruler to give commands, they could be effectively operating on auto-pilot.

However, she should "see" the city management UI with which Rulers set the build queues etc. Also, she should have an massive purse and see the city's treasury. This might not kick in until she enters the capital though.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:42 pm

raphfrk wrote:If the cities are still Faq cities, then Jillian should have been converted to a Queen as soon as Banhammer died, since she was Heir. Ofc, perhaps, Banhammer didn't make her Heir in the end (it may not be automatic) and he didn't want a warrior to become Queen.

It is possible that the cities are still in operation and Jillian is already Queen, and just doesn't realise it. If they had no Thinkamancer, they couldn't contact her and ask her to return home. Without a Ruler to give commands, they could be effectively operating on auto-pilot.

However, she should "see" the city management UI with which Rulers set the build queues etc. Also, she should have an massive purse and see the city's treasury. This might not kick in until she enters the capital though.

A queen needs to be crowned to become a real queen. Jillian probably first needs to claim a city to become a queen. And we know that she is barbarian, the stupid meal explicitly state her as barbarian, not Faq.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Previous

Return to Reactions