Your most unique character personality?

Your campaigns, your favorite systems, and gaming news.

Re: Your most unique character personality?

Postby Doctari » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:34 pm

My favorite, and most unique, character was a human sorcerer by the name of Dox Bloodstone.

He was the 13th son of a 13th son and descended from the bloodline of Baelors… or so he thought. In reality he was the 4th son of a 2nd son who happened to be a traveling tinker who had charmed the local necromancer’s young and bored wife. The only thing he was descended from was a long line of lazy fisher folk.

He was convinced (and constantly told by his father) that he would be an outstanding necromancer. Though he lacked the obvious physical signs for one with such auspicious heritage (blond hair, blue eyes and short limbs “as though from peasant stock” tend to not inspire dread in the citizenry). He never could make heads nor tails of his dad’s books and though he wasn’t exactly the brightest of students (11 int.) occasionally amazing feats of magic would happen (normally when he was frustrated or tired of scared).

His “Dad” was somewhat narcissistic and refused to believe it was anything other then a strange learning curve or that something or other in his demon blood was manifesting in strange ways.

We played them from first to 18th level (3.0 w/homebrew 3.5 rules thrown in) and he never once managed to cast a spell from the necromancy school and always had some rather.. unique.. spell components on hand (for instance the first time he cast fireball he was holding a potato and afterwards was always convinced that his potato was magic, and as such was probably a familiar. He named him Frank).

He was also convinced that he was extremely evil. And would tell anyone who cared to listen about how evil he was. But in addition to his father spending all his time trying to teach him necromancy his bored, and still relatively young, mother had read him lots and lots of tales of daring-do and heroics. Always being careful to explain to him that these were in fact deeds of the deepest evil. He was a product of his environment.

Dox Bloodstone (@1st level)
Human Wizard, spec: Necromancer (otherwise known as sorcerer)\
CE/LG

Stat generation: 3d6 play em where they lay:

Str: 8
Dex: 15
Con: 17
Int: 11
Wis: 5
Chr: 18
Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal.
Doctari

Postby Prometheus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:53 am

Doctari wrote:for instance the first time he cast fireball he was holding a potato and afterwards was always convinced that his potato was magic, and as such was probably a familiar. He named him Frank

That is the second most awesome familiar story I've ever heard. The first was when our party met up with an archmage, who immediately recognized our own wizard as his former familiar (he had wanted to become a "real boy", and his master had obliged). The DM, who had written up the entire backstory for the wizard, had neglected to mention this fact to his player. The look on his face was priceless.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby Sonic Screwdriver » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:21 pm

I've been a DM for essentially every game I've ever been in except for a single weekly one for the last year, so my most unique personalities stem from NPCs I've created. The most unique one I've had is either M1-M3R, a pilot droid physically attached to the helm of an ancient ship (think Pilot from Farscape); and by ancient, I mean the ship was made back when hyperdrives were a relatively new thing in the Star Wars Universe (x20 modifier to most ships x2, if you're familiar with the setting). The droid was old too, but strong enough to wrestle & throw a wookie, and a personality my party described as "the lovechild of HK-47 and Marvin". He did his job, followed orders when it was required to be safe, protected the ship as able, and insulted every organic on the ship with ruthless sarcasm and vitriol. Not to say he was entirely a jerk, as he helped the two maintenance droids discover true love, and even helped the two make a 'child'. Needless to say, he was also doing some modifications to the droids (especially AI/behavior upgrades), as the party was quite surprised to discover one of them was identifying itself as female, but M1-M3R always claimed that he never forced anything and only did what the droids wanted.
Sonic Screwdriver
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:31 pm

His name was "Mimer?
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Sonic Screwdriver » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Wait, sorry...brain fart. His name was M1-M1R (mimir), I haven't run that game for a year now.
Sonic Screwdriver
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Heh, mimir is actually what I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember it. Why mimir? Hero Quest?
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Sonic Screwdriver » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Reference to the Norse god of knowledge and wisdom, which was a subtle hint that the droid was an ancient construction. Long story short, assuming you're familiar with Knights of the Old Republic game, he's an original Rakatan droid (campaign ended shortly after that reveal).
Sonic Screwdriver
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Kallisti » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:28 am

My favorite was my intelligent orc barbarian. (with fighter levels).

Giant sword, no class at all, prone to telling the others horrible orcish legends.

Need to play him again if I ever get a chance.
Kallisti

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:22 pm

I like my black humanoid panther named Rharach. He is fighting with scimitars and about to learn the two-sword fight. His people are evil to the bone, worshipping only evil deities and demons and torturing for fun and good food (tortured people taste better to them - yes they eat humans). My character grew up to be a exceptional strong warrior and started to question the common beliefs. So the chief of his tribe - who maybe his father - challenged him for an fight and beat the hell out of him. My character fled from his tribe and sought shelter in a nearby town, where he healed his wounds. But some stayed permanent.

Usually this is the point where the char swears revenge and decides to become a good guy. But Rharach was okay with the tribe leader to beat him up. It was his own fault to be weaker than him. Whatever. So he became a pirate and committed many, many crimes for gold. His prestory ended with a uprising on his old ship. Unfortunately the rebellion happened while they sailed trough a reef and the ship sank with his old comrades aboard. But whatever. A short 3 hours march later he meet his new team in a harbour town and formed a new pirate crew with them. They recently decided save their enemies lives after battle, even on cost of their own peoples health. Selling former opponents into slavery turned out to be quite lucrative.
He is still worshipping evil gods and demons (they do give power) and somehow managed to become a senator of a newly former pirate republic and co-founder of a republican party look-a-like (naturally a quite warped version). After finding a huge treasure your view on taxes tends to change drastically.
On the downside he is the focus of every evil spirit in this campaign world. He got possessed by ghosts/spirits/Demons three times (so far). The first one was a little fire demon that grew in his body. So many pregnancy jokes.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby jioan » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:40 am

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:I like my drow named Drizzt. He is fighting with scimitars and about to learn the two-sword fight. His people are evil to the bone, worshipping only evil deities and demons and torturing for fun and power. My character grew up to be a exceptional strong warrior and started to question the common beliefs. My character fled from his tribe and sought shelter in a nearby town, where he healed his wounds. But some stayed permanent.

I'm sorry this first part just sounded so familiar. Otherwise a very interesting character.
jioan

Postby Rhyme-o-mancer » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 pm

I actually just rolled this character today. He's a dwarven druid who lives in the desert as a hermit... Need I say more?
Rhyme-o-mancer

Postby Prometheus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Rhyme-o-mancer wrote:I actually just rolled this character today. He's a dwarven druid who lives in the desert as a hermit... Need I say more?

Heh. Dwarven Druids are fun to play. Unfortunately, the only one I ever made died after a single adventure. Not during, after. You see, I had him go to a tavern and order some ale. However, I failed to realize how much ale cost, and as a result made the mistake of saying "I drink 10gp worth of ale". Now, if you look up the price for ale in 3rd edition, that's roughly one THOUSAND glasses (IIRC).

He died. But he became a legend among dwarves.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby Rhyme-o-mancer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:46 pm

Prometheus wrote:He died. But he became a legend among dwarves.

As someone who loves roleplaying dwarves, this wins.
Rhyme-o-mancer

Postby Prometheus » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Rhyme-o-mancer wrote:
Prometheus wrote:He died. But he became a legend among dwarves.

As someone who loves roleplaying dwarves, this wins.

Truly, nothing will win you respect from dwarves faster than imbibing copious amounts of alcohol.
Prometheus

Postby Sandis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:05 pm

If I'd been DMing that, your next character would have gotten some major roleplaying experience.
Avatar by Muzzafar, thanks for letting me use it!

http://mirita.mybrute.com
Sandis

Postby Prometheus » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:19 pm

Sandis wrote:If I'd been DMing that, your next character would have gotten some major roleplaying experience.

Except that it was entirely by accident, due to the "no take-back" rule. It was less role-playing and more ignorance of D&D's economics.
Last edited by Prometheus on Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prometheus

Postby Bakshara » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:35 am

This was many moons ago.

I had a Halfling named Kali. She was a multi-class Psionicist/Rogue. I paid extra to get the Wizard proficiency Spellcraft. I took Psionic powers that were the same or very similar to mage spells. I would use my Spellcraft knowledge to delay my Psionic action, Rogue Slight of Hand to make the "necessary" somatic gestures and hide the material components back in my pouch. I was very good at making it look like they disappeared.

I kept telling everyone that I was a mage. The true mages in the party kept saying, "You are not a mage! Halflings can not be mages!" I would always respond, "Then how did I do that? You know I do not have any rings or wands or any of that stuff." They would pipe back, "I don’t know how you do it, but you are NOT a mage!!!"
Bakshara

Postby Lothmar » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:50 pm

XD That reminds me of the generic halfling rogue moment. Wizards trying spell after spell to get the door open and everyones been pondering for minutes, meanwhiles the halflings tending his nails scoffing and chuckling at thier attempts cause he has been holding the 'key'.

"Oh you think this is so easy mister short bigshot, why dont you come on up here and give it a try."
(I was a bard not a rogue so I used my according skills)
"Well if you insist," He adds cracking his fingers and moving everyone back as he goes into this huge narrative 'by the power of blah' with an excellent perform oratory, synergied with bluff as he move in and slides the ring out of his palm and presses it to the symbol everyones been ignoring as seconds later the door slides open.

". . .Beginners luck." Says the mage.
"Dear me i'll practice sparingly then, lest I suffer veterans misfortune like you sir wizard."
Lothmar

Postby MarchHatter » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:13 am

I've had a couple of unique people I guess but I gather thats what happens during gaming, you make some interesting fruitcakes of people.

One of my favourites was my pixie sorcerror Jericho. Because Pixies get the spell like abillity of improved invisibillity, I decided to start the campaign invisible. And I comunicated originally to the other player characters only using the ventriliquist spell, and I also knew a couple demonic languages which caused a bit of fright of hearing abyssal down the hall when we were fighting basic enemies. Also we were playing a fairly high leveled campaign so naturally I had two of my favourite spells, flesh to stone and the reverse. And with this pixie of course while we were in an underground dungeon I ended up animating all of the orc statues and having pose interestingly and then re freezing them. But the first time my pixie ever revealed himself was when a group of demons started coming into our area and I revealed myself to get their attention and fire a dissintergration spell at a demon.
I think I might have forgot to mention that Jericho was a crazed pyro, who's sole goal was to burn and reduce his enemies to ashes, which he saw as the ultimate defeat of an enemy, which also served as a noble way to die in his eyes. Also his team mates had to occaisionally restrain him from setting the passing towns on fire when they were traveling. (in the complete mage book with the feats which let you can infinite weak versions of spells as long as you have a stronger version of a certain spell still castable is very useful, Good fun to use the fire focused one, which jericho used to set many things on fire).

In short I played a pixie with a fire addiction, who had a very nice 60 feet per turn fly speed.

There was a downside of being really tiny, our group lizardman warrior eventually grabbed me and tried to eat me, but before he was going to eat me, he held me upside down, while jericho was only wearing mage robes. Which ultimately led to the comical line of that game
"Oh so it is a boy."
Today's signature was brought to you by: Erfworld, SteveMB and the Letter Q
MarchHatter

Postby Bakshara » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Here is another one. I do not remember that character’s name, but he was a chaotic neutral mage.

It was approaching nightfall, cold, and raining. I cast Leomund’s Tiny Hut. I specified a fireplace with a fire in it, extra wood stacked nearby, a peg by the door for each of our cloaks, and a cot with a wool blanket for each of us.

Then I looked at the DM and said, "I voluntarily fail the save." He gave me a weird look and responded, "Ok. You believe the illusion you just created."

Then I exclaimed to the rest of the party, "Hey! Look at this hut I found over here! Come on in! We can all sleep nice and warm and dry!" I opened the door, and with a surprised voice, "Wow! It’s even got a fire burning in it!"

I went in hung my clock on one of those pegs, threw some more wood on the fire, pulled a cot near the fireplace and bundled up. Since the rest of the party saw me cast the spell, they automatically disbelieved.

I slept very comfortably through the night! The rest of the party woke up the next morning miserable and damp. I woke on the ground with hypothermia and my drenched cloak lying on the ground a few feet away.
Bakshara

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming