Summer Updates - 011

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Updates - 011

Postby balder » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:22 am

New one's up. Enjoy.
balder

Re: Summer Updates - 011

Postby Engy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:28 am

Love the names of Carport, Carpool, and Carpudlians.

The TV people get more interesting on every update.
I'm not an Eskimo!
Engy
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:32 am

So 40,000 shmuckers is enough to ransom a city with? Interesting...
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Sareln » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:40 am

cloudbreaker wrote:So 40,000 shmuckers is enough to ransom a city with? Interesting...

I suppose it would depend on the city, and how highly each side valued it. Given the back-and-forth nature of the control they mention, it may just be that it's cheaper to pay the ransom, rather than defend it. Who knows? Perhaps the price is based more on how much Don King thinks he can get for it without causing the Carpudlians to actually arm up for a real war, rather than on what the city is actually worth.
Sareln

Postby Anton Gaist » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:52 am

I'm wondering what Jillian's three words were. Three words, one syllable each. And I don't see Caesar asking her questions, so maybe some advice she gave him? "Boop" is a one syllable word after all.

Any guesses?
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby Carlan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:11 am

Anton Gaist wrote:I'm wondering what Jillian's three words were. Three words, one syllable each. And I don't see Caesar asking her questions, so maybe some advice she gave him? "Boop" is a one syllable word after all.

Any guesses?

Yes. No. Fine.
Carlan

Postby KeiranHalcyon31 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:36 am

Why do I suddenly hear Ceasar's impression of Don King as Marlon Brando? (I.e. Don (Transyl-) Vito Corleone) 8-)
KeiranHalcyon31

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:41 am

Erfworld wrote:One of these days, Carpool was gonna load up that city with something nasty and veiled, and bite their faces off."

Hey, that sounds like a good opener for the upcoming Gobwin Knob / Transylvito war :)
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:55 am

It's a shakedown. Transylvito flexes muscle. Carpudlians pay up. If they don't, Transylvito smashes the city, and the Carpudlians have to pay to fix it, and the cycle begins again. Don King would rather bring in a steady but small tribute than risk losing warlords to take the capital and end the side, and then have to pull it all back together again before he could profit.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby k33g0rz » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 am

any ideas on what they want jillian for?
k33g0rz

Postby Alcazabedabra » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 am

Since Transylvito appears to be a rather thuggish side, they might think that they can leverage Zamussels for shmuckers.

I don't know who they would ransom her to. Ansom is (arguably) alive, but neither Jillian nor Caesar know that.
Alcazabedabra

Postby moose o death » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:11 am

it is highly likely ansom isn't decrypted yet. no-one will KNOW he is until at minimum, when the updates say 2 turns since the battle for gobwin knob. and it's likley no-one will know until they see him marching on their cities.

the only chance anyone else will find out earlier is if GK forces use that knowledge to demoralise their opposition in advance. and with jillian leading a force they would pretty demoralised. wanda stanley and ansom marching on her. i think her brain would snap. after the first battles i assume news would travel fast from there on and soon everyone would know the end of the world is coming.

i'm still interested to hear about charlie, even though rob has said this is the second of two arcs the summer updates will explore. charlie might continue down the support character path for quite some time it seems
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Maldeus » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:12 am

Carpudlians v. Transylvito v. Gobwin Knob. This is the second issue, I'm almost sure. Three powers and every one of them is situated fairly close to Gobwin Knob. It could still go in another direction, if Gobwin Knob is the westernmost part of Stanley's old territory and recapturing his old cities brings him into conflict with another power (Jetstone, maybe?), but I'm guessing it's Carpudlians and Transylvito up next.
Maldeus

Postby SteveMB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:15 am

Sareln wrote:
cloudbreaker wrote:So 40,000 shmuckers is enough to ransom a city with? Interesting...

I suppose it would depend on the city, and how highly each side valued it. Given the back-and-forth nature of the control they mention, it may just be that it's cheaper to pay the ransom, rather than defend it. Who knows? Perhaps the price is based more on how much Don King thinks he can get for it without causing the Carpudlians to actually arm up for a real war, rather than on what the city is actually worth.

That also explains Charlie's confidence that he could get Transylvito to bow out simply by setting his price too high; he presumably has a good feel for how they operate.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby jioan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:33 am

I have to admit I was slightly disappointed with today's update. Although I like the new empire the story didn't really advance at all.
jioan

Postby raphfrk » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:21 am

Benjamin tells me it's too expensive

I wonder if "Benjamin" is a moneymancer. He certainly sounds like Don King's accountant.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby teratorn » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:56 am

Nothing really new here, TV's core business is extorsion. These are not nice people, Vinny is sort of a Bogroll (a Troll with a heart) of this bunch.

I wonder if there were any remaining flyers (the ones without move to reach the pass). They weren't with Ansom during his raid on the walls. So where are they? There are only four warlords, with a few units on her side Jillian could probably wipe this group.
teratorn

Postby decius » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:52 am

How interesting. The mob is getting their "Protection" money.

And unless I'm mistaken, one of Vinny's jobs under Ansom was "Protecting" him.
decius

Postby badninja » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Nice, I see that Vinny knows that Jillian is not up for this. He knows if she makes a break for it she is dead and the way she looks it looks like she is not looking good. Now Caesar just keeps getting more and more interesting to me, just like a new villain needs to be.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:30 pm

badninja wrote:Nice, I see that Vinny knows that Jillian is not up for this. He knows if she makes a break for it she is dead and the way she looks it looks like she is not looking good. Now Caesar just keeps getting more and more interesting to me, just like a new villain needs to be.

Who were the old ones? ;)
He will be the the new antagonist; but I'm pretty sure we will see a more rounded character with some redeeming traits sooner or later.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Next

Return to Reactions