WaterMonkey314 wrote:(suppose a melee Foolamancer is stacked with a ranged stack - can it cast a veil as the stack uses its ranged attack?)
The Battle for Mine Island had this exact problem, as you know, and I resolved that as a "no". But that may change in future versions.
WaterMonkey314 wrote:Despite its cost as the most expensive special, Foolamancy is still far too overpowered.
Indeed. I notice (after a mere scan of your post, must admit), that your biggest beef is with Foolamancy. The "deep" reason for it is that, much as I try to balance specials between themselves and against the cost of an in some sense equivalent set of basic attributes, this is NOT possible for stack-dependent specials.
- and Foolamancy.
What this means is that the "value" of these specials is highly dependent on the stack that contains a unit with these specials. A Commander of a stack of Gobwins won't increase damage by much; however, that same one Commander may add a whoppin' amount when leading Dwagons.
Similarly, the +1Defense bonus offered to units in a Fort means a whole other thing when those units are already high-defense.
Foolamancy ... you already know.
Leadership, under the current combat formula, is weak enough that it's not really a candidate for "overpowered". There's probably a complicated set of economic reasons why it's not abused more, will think of such later.
Builder requires a unit with high-ish Hits to actually be something credible, and since Hits are expensive, again, in practice it is not abused.
Foolamancy- as you know, this is a biggy.
Now, if you want my opinion, the best way to go is to remove stack-dependence in the effective value of a special. Case in point:
- say Builder's Forts may only protect a given total Hits
, not total number
, of units.
- similarly, a Foolamancer may Veil a given number of Hits of units in a stack, and those are shielded from retaliatory or targeted damage for that one combat.
Running list of modifications that I plan to make:
- remove vestigial specials.
- adjust special cost formulas for units with less than 6 Hits to use a Hits_Adjusted value (6 instead of their actual Hits).
- by popular demand, soften the "Ranged-stack" and "Siege-stack" rules. Maybe
same for Dance-fighting.
- adjust Specials to remove stack-dependece of effective value. This might not happen for Leadership though.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.