Book 2 – Page 61

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 61

Postby BakaGrappler » Sun May 22, 2011 5:47 pm

MattR wrote:Are capitals the only cities with portals?

Almost certainly. If you recall, Sizemore had to be flown out to the conquered cities in order to build them by Dwagon. If there had been portals to every city in the world then such a method of transit would not be required by any means.

And for Glamdring....Let's be prepared to be surprised by that one. I have a feeling that Rob is going to be making a joke about it.

And I doubt the sword glows in the presence of Decrypted, since there are Decrypted troops stationed all through Gobwin's Knob.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby splexis » Sun May 22, 2011 8:32 pm

skarl wrote:what if that sword really is the equivalent of glamdring, then there's just ONE 'race' that comes anywhere near the orcs... the decrypted. (orcs are the offspring of the elves that where captured by mogtogh and where deformed by him, and are still angry at there anchestors, the elves. let's say that the elves are all not-decrypted, and wanda is morgtogh.) this may mean that parson eventually is going to turn, with this weapon as a verry usefull lookamancy item.

Uh . . . no.

No, the nearest race to orcs would be (the synonymous) gobwins.
splexis

Postby Oberon » Sun May 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Sieggy wrote:. . . but then we're back to "why is this caster chasing Parson through the tunnel holding an unopened scroll in his hand"? If he wanted to do Parson dirt (heh), he would have just fired off the scroll upon entering the tunnel - unless it's one of those extremely short range/touch only things. In which case a caster coming to melee range with a heavily outfitted and bad-ass-by-reputation warlord might not be something he'd want to do.
Recall that Parson was previously taken down by a caster who engaged him in hand to hand combat. Or hand to neck combat, as the case may be.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby drachefly » Mon May 23, 2011 9:56 am

He wasn't on guard then, wasn't as heavily armored, etc.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby skarl » Mon May 23, 2011 12:33 pm

splexis wrote:
skarl wrote:what if that sword really is the equivalent of glamdring, then there's just ONE 'race' that comes anywhere near the orcs... the decrypted. (orcs are the offspring of the elves that where captured by mogtogh and where deformed by him, and are still angry at there anchestors, the elves. let's say that the elves are all not-decrypted, and wanda is morgtogh.) this may mean that parson eventually is going to turn, with this weapon as a verry usefull lookamancy item.

Uh . . . no.

at some point you are right... tolkien based his orcs at hobgoblins (although he admitted that he didn't knew that hobgoblins are actually nice in fairytale stories. remember that fantasy was pretty new back then.) if that is the case, the sword may become handy to find the lost hobgobwin tribes.

but as I said, the creation story of orcs is much more similar to the creation story of the decripted as to the creation of hobgobwins.
I'm not serious. I am never serious. seriously!

(please remember that I am a foreign speaker, and therefore make a lot of spelling & gramatic mistakes, and please don't pin me down on my exact formulation.)
skarl

Postby Thu » Mon May 23, 2011 1:47 pm

skarl wrote:orcs are the offspring of the elves that where captured by mogtogh and where deformed by him, and are still angry at there anchestors, the elves. let's say that the elves are all not-decrypted, and wanda is morgtogh.

Nerdrage: ON

Morgtogh? Try Melkor or Morgoth Bauglir or even Melko. Seriously, did you even read the Silmarillion? Even if all you did was watch the movie Legolas clearly says 'A balrog of Morgoth'.

Also it is by no means clear that the orcs were corrupted elves (regardless of what Jackson's movie says) Tolkien himself seems to have been unsure as to the origin of the orcs changing their origin many times. (Read the History of Middle Earth if you want the whole story) They at times said to be corrupted men, weak maia in corporeal form, made by Morgoth out of stone with hearts of hatred, the statement that they are corrupted elves comes from writings of Rumil and Pelegod who mention it as a dark rumor.

Nerdrage: OFF

I am not trying to offend, particularly if English is not your primary language, but some things have to be said.
Thu

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon May 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Thu wrote:Nerdrage: OFF

Balrogs don't have wings.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Atomic » Mon May 23, 2011 2:22 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Thu wrote:Nerdrage: OFF

Balrogs don't have wings.

BAHAHAHA!!! That got a brief outburst of laughter from me, which is rare for internet forums!! :lol:
Rob Balder wrote:We have one rule in these forums: don't be a dick.
Atomic

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon May 23, 2011 3:08 pm

Yeah, Irregular Webcomic is nice. Should visit 'em again actually.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby splexis » Mon May 23, 2011 3:19 pm

skarl wrote:
splexis wrote:

Uh . . . no.

at some point you are right... tolkien based his orcs at hobgoblins (although he admitted that he didn't knew that hobgoblins are actually nice in fairytale stories. remember that fantasy was pretty new back then.) if that is the case, the sword may become handy to find the lost hobgobwin tribes.

Tolkein based his orcs/goblins on the goblins in The Princess and The Goblin by George MacDonald. And the gobwins are missing, not the hobgobwins.
splexis

Postby Thu » Mon May 23, 2011 3:34 pm

BLANDCorporation wrote:Balrogs don't have wings.

Actually, I tend to lean to the 'no wings' interpretation, but there is certainly an argument either way.
Thu

Postby Dr Pepper » Mon May 23, 2011 6:53 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Yeah, Irregular Webcomic is nice. Should visit 'em again actually.

Why bother? Parson is the undisputed champion of Insanely Overpowered Fireballs.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Housellama » Mon May 23, 2011 7:09 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:Yeah, Irregular Webcomic is nice. Should visit 'em again actually.

Why bother? Parson is the undisputed champion of Insanely Overpowered Fireballs.

He's got a whole wand-a ov'em.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Hanyo » Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 pm

kagato23 wrote:A lot of people seem to think that Parson is about to be targeted for a delay or capture. I think this is a straight up assassination attempt.

I agree. We certainly can't assume that Parson has enough plot armour to foil an attempt on his life. If he *is* actually croaked, my guess is that we'll see him "wake up" in the real world for a short time, before being sucked back into the story when Wanda decrypts him. Leaving him under Wanda's control instead of Stanley's. Hmmmm.
Hanyo

Postby MarbitChow » Tue May 24, 2011 12:47 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Balrogs don't have wings.
Unless you feed them a RED BULL.
MarbitChow

Postby Oberon » Tue May 24, 2011 3:55 pm

drachefly wrote:He wasn't on guard then, wasn't as heavily armored, etc.
Wasn't on guard? He had a sword in his hand en guard and was facing down a dozen angry casters. You think he was asleep?
And armor doesn't mater much, not when a single pinch to the neck drops you.

And this caster is behind Parson, just as the last one was. Parson may not even know that he is there.
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby drachefly » Wed May 25, 2011 10:09 am

Last time he was stammering out an explanation, focused on those in front. He was not wearing a neck-covering cloak, and he was just standing there. Now he's running away, has his rear armored, and isn't in 'negotiate myself out of this' mode.

It's reasonable to suspect he's a significantly tougher target this time.
drachefly

Postby Oberon » Thu May 26, 2011 5:46 pm

drachefly wrote:Last time he was stammering out an explanation, focused on those in front. He was not wearing a neck-covering cloak, and he was just standing there. Now he's running away, has his rear armored, and isn't in 'negotiate myself out of this' mode.

It's reasonable to suspect he's a significantly tougher target this time.
History bears out your assumption. Unless Chewi pulls a fast one, Parson seems to have responded much better the a caster on his six this time. But, if Chewi proves to be isn't again' Parson, then he wasn't spoilin' fer a throw down in any event, and the debate becomes moot.
Oberon

Previous

Return to Reactions