Book 2 – Text Updates 050

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Text Updates 050

Postby balder » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:11 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 050

Postby Archameades » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Love the new warlord, but I think Syliva is in trouble...
Archameades

Postby ftl » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Artemis doesn't seem that formidable to me. Sylvia can survive this.

If Jetstone's hopes are on random level 8 warlords blindly charging into battle, that's not a good sign.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Berserkas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Ninjaing time!

So, new mechanics. You CAN gain xp by training hard and.. gaining experience. Even promote units to Knight class by training, and Knights are supposedly expensive...

but most importantly... OMG SYLVIA IS (maybe) GOING TO GET KILLED.

Que rabid Sylvia fanboy rage.
Berserkas

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Heh, more creeping individualism. Good to see that you can train for higher levels too. And double heh, Artemis's dogs of war are clearly well fed. Apparently Fate has outflanked politics and she's going to be Chief Warlady of the new, smaller Jestone realm. And Trem will soon be back on the same side as Oss.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:41 pm

Berserkas wrote:Ninjaing time!

So, new mechanics. You CAN gain xp by training hard and.. gaining experience. Even promote units to Knight class by training, and Knights are supposedly expensive...

They have Duty to Jetstone, but their Loyalty is all to her.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby soupy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Anyone else notice the Baldur's Gate 2 default female portrait reference in the image? Or is it just my imagination?

http://images.iml.pl/crpg/bg1/npc/shar-teel.jpg
soupy

Postby BakaGrappler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:05 pm

I love this newly introduced character, she is going to be something to be reckoned with. Ansom himself was a level 9.

Sylvia is gonna get flanked by a commando team. :o

Good thing there are three Warlords on the Purple Dwagons, so Sylvia may not be the first to go down. And she is playing a game against Death today after all, and betting him off the table.

Since Rob went to the effort to give us an awesome name, a complete physical description, a history complete with achievements, and a woman with intelligence, I am sincerely hoping she does not Croak. Should Jetstone remain an enemy of GK, I'm hoping she'll become the new right hand man to replace Antiem, who's been TWARTed. Minerva and Sylvia may even become rivals. Nothing better than a catfight with swords and the like.

Oh, and I only just now figured it out. He's Prince Ossomer because he's Awesomer.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Just wondering :if Spacerock is captured, will it continue the production of the heir? I'd like to see Stanley get a son or daughter, what a terrible parent he would make...
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛

Postby Dr Quest DFA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:30 pm

A fight between Sylvia and Artemis might be difficult since one of them fights with a bow and arrow and the other with pure (melee) awesomeness (OK a sword and dwagon, but the range still holds). My guess is that Artemis will try to waylay Sylvia to but Slately some time, do a fair amount of damage but Sylvia some out ahead (maybe getting a needed bonus boost as Parson enters the hex at a key moment). Of course we all know how accurate forum speculation is, I just hope that Sylvia lives to fight another day.
Dr Quest DFA
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby madmaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Such a good update.

So, unless I'm mistaken, her 'trick' for leveling while garrisoned in a city, is beating the living snot out of everyone in the city every day?
madmaw
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby spinn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah I'm not getting the trick thing either?
spinn

Postby Krennson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 pm

madmaw wrote:Such a good update.

So, unless I'm mistaken, her 'trick' for leveling while garrisoned in a city, is beating the living snot out of everyone in the city every day?

I assumed that she was trying the william tell apple trick.

but this training thing... that's huge. Can parson theoreticaly level just by running tactical exercises at home? or does he need personal combat training, not just strategy training?

also, the implication that especially in royalist sides, individual warlords have long-term responsibilities to individual soldiers, even when not currently stacked with them, is very interesting.

put the two together, and Parson might actually be able to build a command & staff college in erfworld that does useful work.
Krennson

Postby msb » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Text update is a lot easier to read on the website than the RSS. RSS (Google reader anyway) prematurely ends the bold/emphasis tags after the first paragraphs.
msb

Postby Lamech » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:20 pm

XP for eeeveryone! Especially hopefully our lady lazarus. I bet they will make good friends! I'm sure those petty differences can be overcome by the pliers.
Lamech

Postby Aquillion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Krennson wrote:I assumed that she was trying the william tell apple trick.

but this training thing... that's huge. Can parson theoreticaly level just by running tactical exercises at home? or does he need personal combat training, not just strategy training?

also, the implication that especially in royalist sides, individual warlords have long-term responsibilities to individual soldiers, even when not currently stacked with them, is very interesting.

put the two together, and Parson might actually be able to build a command & staff college in erfworld that does useful work.
Remember, it took her hundreds of turns. Everyone knows it's possible, it's just that the sheer effort is rarely worth it.

And Parson's level doesn't matter. It's his brain that matters, and that won't get better as he gains experience.
Aquillion

Postby Oberon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:35 pm

Text Updates 050 wrote:Ordered immediately to stand at court, the Level 1 Countess of Firestone rode out with six soldiers and a Knight. Before they camped at turn's end, she had felled a hamhawk from a treetop and a spread eagle from the clear sky. The eagle was so high that she had nocked and loosed the shot before her Knights could even see it.
Tense error. She took a singlular Knight with her (it was a traditional stack of 8: She, 6 soldiers, and a Knight). She nocked and loosed before her plural Knights could even see the target.
Text Updates 050 wrote:Quickly, methodically, she walked among her stacks and issue new target priorities: Archons by leadership, then Foolamancy, then the rest.
The first solid indication that enemy unit stats, including specials, can be seen. We knew that allied units stats could be seen, whether enemy stats were also visible was not confirmed by canon previously.
Aquillion wrote:And Parson's level doesn't matter. It's his brain that matters, and that won't get better as he gains experience.
I think you meant that in the Erfworld sense of experience/levels, but I want to confirm. Because if you meant that Parson wouldn't get better as he gains experience in the traditional sense, I'd beg to differ. Stupidworld doesn't have levels, but there is a huge grey area surrounding the concepts of Stupidworld experience improving a person and Erfworld levels improving a person.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Krennson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:02 pm

Aquillion wrote:
Krennson wrote:I assumed that she was trying the william tell apple trick.

Remember, it took her hundreds of turns. Everyone knows it's possible, it's just that the sheer effort is rarely worth it.

And Parson's level doesn't matter. It's his brain that matters, and that won't get better as he gains experience.

Well, his useful knowledge will improve as long he's fighting and learning in erfworld. His level matters because something like 1/3 of his total level gets applied as a combat bonus to all units loyal to Gobwin Knob, and more than that for units in his hex or stack. It's not as powerful as his brain, but it's still helpful.
Krennson

Postby Aquillion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Oberon wrote:
Aquillion wrote:And Parson's level doesn't matter. It's his brain that matters, and that won't get better as he gains experience.
I think you meant that in the Erfworld sense of experience/levels, but I want to confirm. Because if you meant that Parson wouldn't get better as he gains experience in the traditional sense, I'd beg to differ. Stupidworld doesn't have levels, but there is a huge grey area surrounding the concepts of Stupidworld experience improving a person and Erfworld levels improving a person.
What I mean is, sure, he'll do slightly more damage when he hits stuff. So what? His team has thousands of people who can hit stuff. The things that make him important won't improve with level, and his time would be better spent studying tactics or Erfworld rules -- focusing on the things only he can do rather than things that any Twoll can do.
Aquillion

Postby Aquillion » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 pm

BakaGrappler wrote:I love this newly introduced character, she is going to be something to be reckoned with. Ansom himself was a level 9.
Do remember that the text updates are "extras." That is, they're not necessary for the main story.

Or, more bluntly, if a character gets a huge amount of detail in a text update, that's information that isn't going to be important in the main story. Doesn't mean that the attack she's planning won't be important in the short term, but there have been a lot of other characters who got heavy focus in a text update and then either died or faded into the background immediately afterwards.
Aquillion

Next

Return to Reactions