balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 63

Postby mp122984 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Kudos to those who guessed it.

My bet right now is on "Parson tries to take the scroll and run."
mp122984

Postby PhantomFox » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:52 pm

With all the Beatles references, I really should have seen this one coming. The question is, who put Jojo up to this? The plot demands Parson refuse, as we know.

Also: What are the odds of them using Jojo to slip in a Za Warudo joke?
A new story updating Mondays
PhantomFox

Postby thorne » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:59 pm

That was great. Has Skeletor's staff been referred to as the "Staff of Suckage" before? That's so right on, Rob. Hahaha!
thorne

Postby Guppy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:02 pm

PhantomFox wrote:With all the Beatles references, I really should have seen this one coming. The question is, who put Jojo up to this? The plot demands Parson refuse, as we know.

It's seems Duty may demand Parson refuse as well. Simply by accepting the scroll, Parson already would be exhibiting plenty of Free Will. Plus, plot doesn't necessarily demand Parson refuse. For all we know, he could accept and then find out it's bait-and-switch where the scroll is an Ovinomancy spell or something.

PhantomFox wrote:Also: What are the odds of them using Jojo to slip in a Za Warudo joke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLiyglcRcCA
Guppy

Postby the_tick_rules » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:11 pm

a spell to send him back to earth? How did nobody guess that?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Heh, Rob did it again. He teased us with a too obvious hint and then followed up on it instead of swerving. Congrats to those who predicted this.

But of course, Parson won't take the offer, even if he can believe it. He'll probably say "ask me later" and go on with his run.

But interesting that the staff he carries absorbs magic. That explains why the Archons couldn't blast Wanda.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby mblackadder » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:16 pm

The plot demands he say no. But also Duty demands he say no, leaving at this point he might internalize as running away.
mblackadder
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:a spell to send him back to earth? How did nobody guess that?

Um, as i said, a lot of people guessed that. A lot of others saw that as a possibility but expected something more complicated. I was in the second group.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby the_tick_rules » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Hmm, guess I missed or forgot about them. The bulk of guesses I saw and remember were it was going to break the tool's loyalty spell.
Last edited by the_tick_rules on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby cloudbreaker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:22 pm

Best line of the page:

"But yes."
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Sgeo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Or Parson could return to his world, but come back somehow?
Sgeo

Postby cloudbreaker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:29 pm

Hmm, maybe he will insist Jojo comes with to Spacerock if he wants to cast the spell.

Parson: "If that spell will really do what you say, come with me to Spacerock and I'll let you cast it there."
Jojo: "Seriously?"
Parson: "Yeah. I promise."
Enter portal. Croak. Decrypt.
Parson: "Does that spell really do what you say?"
Jojo: "No."
Parson: "M'kay, don't cast it."
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Lor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:32 pm

Jojo:
I can cast it on you

Lowering your protection for a spell?
The service plan's how they get you. (Link to book 1)

Prediction: He offers to take the scroll and have it analyzed sometime away from those 'mancers with the torches and pitchforks.

Secondly, from his expression near the end, I think Parson got the song reference.
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:36 pm

To everyone who called it, yes you did. Do you want a cookie? (I'm not actually making 3 million cookies, just so y'all know.)

My contribution is I love that PGLH is clearly cracking up when Jojo says "get back", or would be if Jojo wasn't trying to send him back to Kinkos.

EDIT: Jojo is the second caster, after Wanda, to talk about PGLH having a dark future. Wanda with her (admittedly inconsistently accurate) pessimism at the very end of book 1 (after returning from the MK), and now Jojo. Something big is going down soon, possibly even in this battle.
The.Healing.Mage

Postby badninja » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Shit again, not only a great Beatles song but a way home for Parson. Having some possibility of Charlie having talked to Parson before the battle happened, I wonder how that conversation went. Parson would be crazy to take the get out of Erfworld scroll he would want to get back sooner or later and we all know that it would be in far worse shape if he did leave.

Spoiler: show
Although it looks like he has no intention of him leaving, I would be truly scared if he was forced out.

We need to find out who truly sent Jojo, it could be anyone not just Charlie. Nice update now what is going to happen, deal or no deal?
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Gregdafro » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:47 pm

mmm tasty. Very nice. I really want Parson to go back home, even for a moment, see his friends, have them laugh at him, then want to get back to erfworld so bad he finds a way.
Gregdafro

Postby Dr Pepper » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:58 pm

OK, wait a minute. Waita-waita-waita-waitaminute!

The spell may be able to send him back to where he "once was", but was that really where he "once belonged"? Seems to me he didn't belong in his old life at all, except for a brief time during gaming sessions.

Where did he belong then? Well like any gamer with a boopy life, he belonged in his own imagination. Which Erf resembles. Even the bad parts are the sort of thing he'd put into a background text or a fanfic to make it more realistic.

So-- the spell won't work. It'll throw him into a limbo where he'll see all his games flash before his eyes, interspersed with maybe a couple of early birthdays and his first watching of Star Wars. And a second later, he'll reappear back in Erf.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Dr Pepper

Postby Pax » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:03 am

mp122984 wrote:Kudos to those who guessed it.

That would be me - or at least, I recall being the first to peg to those particular lyrics, and what they might mean.

[/me runs around in circles, arms flailing wildly around]
WOOOOOOOO! I figured somethign out in Erfworld, before it was published! WOOOOOOOOO!

:mrgreen: :ugeek:

The.Healing.Mage wrote:To everyone who called it, yes you did. Do you want a cookie? (I'm not actually making 3 million cookies, just so y'all know.)

.... do you do brownies?

the_tick_rules wrote:a spell to send him back to earth? How did nobody guess that?

*COUGH*

Last sentence of that post: That, or he's about to try dispelling the Summon spell that brought Parson to Erfworld in the first place (fitting the refrain: "Get back, Get back, Get back to where you once belonged" ...).
Last edited by Pax on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pax

Postby nth » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:05 am

Dr Pepper wrote:So-- the spell won't work. It'll throw him into a limbo where he'll see all his games flash before his eyes, interspersed with maybe a couple of early birthdays and his first watching of Star Wars. And a second later, he'll reappear back in Erf.

...but with some time-delay, possibly immense because of the number of turns he's played in other games?
nth

Next

Return to Reactions