Summer Updates - 013

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Updates - 013

Postby balder » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:22 am

New one's up.
balder

Re: Summer Updates - 013

Postby DunkelMentat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:35 am

Interesting. I'm guessing that Erfworlders use the words TV censors made up to substitute for our cuss words, a la "flip".
DunkelMentat

Postby Zolon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:44 am

Foreshadowing or clever red herring?

Dun dun dun.
Zolon
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby vdragan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:49 am

YES "A Fish Called Wanda" reference. That was so good it made me register for the forum.
... *realizes where he is*.. *looks around*.. erm. hi?
"You mustn't think me vain if you catch me glancing at my reflection in the mirror. I do it solely to remind myself what I look like - and that I should never stop trying to compensate for it"
vdragan

Postby SteveMB » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:57 am

Zolon wrote:Foreshadowing or clever red herring?

Obviously not very clever, if it just sat there and let itself get speared like that. :lol:
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Dyne » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:05 am

Red Herring... Weird Al... There's puns all over the place in this one. :D
-Dyne

I can't taste key lime pie.
Dyne

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:31 am

oof, missed the Weird Al bit, nice catch. Good info on this one too.

eheh he's "Fat."
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Killer Angel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:49 am

Al Frappacino...
Aqua Velva...
A fish called Wanda...
Men, I love these updates; the heat of the battle for GK leave the puns in second order, but now they're returning stronger than before! :mrgreen:

Also, it's interesting to see that Jillian needs to take on provisions. I think it's a consequences of beeing a Princess without kingdom. No one is paying her upkeep, so no food pops for her.
A situation probably similar to the "barbarian" condition.
English is not my native language: sometimes my grammar will be wrong, and sometimes I can even seem dumb (so, give me a chance); it's never an excuse to be a jerk.
Killer Angel

Postby SkarmoryThePG » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:04 am

Reference overload! D:

I approve.
SkarmoryThePG
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Pax » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:05 am

... and maybe, really, that's what being Disbanded means: noone provides for you; you're stuck tracking down and acquiring your own "provisions", and god help you if you're not a capable combat type? Or else, you have to earn schmuckers with which to BUY those provisions from someone who IS combat-capable?
Pax

Postby cloudbreaker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:14 am

So is Al a vampire like Caesar and Vinny? Or a man like the people on the galleon? He couldn't (or didn't) fly, and Jillian took note of this which leads me to believe that she expected him to be able to. And in the picture he had pointy ears, so that leads me to believe he is a vampire after all (although the Spock look-alike had pointy ears too).

But if he is a vampire, I find it funny that the guy who has to walk instead of fly is the heavy one. :P
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Goshen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:53 am

Hah. So that's what's eating Ceasar. He doesn't know how important Jillian could end up being to TV and Don King. At minimum, the Don will want to talk her out of her dead cities and offer her something. Or she could join TV as a powerful and unpredictable new warlord. Nobody knows how it will play out. Worst of all, Ceasar has to capture her politely, which is tricky even for a good diplomat, which Ceasar ain't.
Goshen

Postby Binty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:35 am

cloudbreaker wrote:So is Al a vampire like Caesar and Vinny? Or a man like the people on the galleon? He couldn't (or didn't) fly, and Jillian took note of this which leads me to believe that she expected him to be able to. And in the picture he had pointy ears, so that leads me to believe he is a vampire after all (although the Spock look-alike had pointy ears too).

But if he is a vampire, I find it funny that the guy who has to walk instead of fly is the heavy one. :P

I take 'man' to mean the humanoid type a side pops. Vinny et al are men.
Binty

Postby HandofShadows » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:50 am

The fish might have been metaphor. It was stabbed in the heart.
HandofShadows

Postby Dyne » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 am

HandofShadows wrote:The fish might have been metaphor. It was stabbed in the heart.

Oh there's some definite possible foreshadowing here. ;)

Also, mention of something entirely new to us - A Dollamancer. Which makes me feel like a "Guys and Dolls" reference is almost inevitable. ;)

Another amusing image is conjured to mind with this line:

The city had a regent warlord named Al Frappacino, an enormous, tanned man in a beige toga with gold garlands. He greeted Caesar with theatrical respect.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to catch a Roman vibe from that? Perhaps we're seeing Transylvito's theme branch out a bit more? On the other hand, Rome isn't that far to stretch...
-Dyne

I can't taste key lime pie.
Dyne

Postby jioan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:13 am

Nice one.

Well now we know there are other sources of food that isn't just created at the beginning of the day.
jioan

Postby Benementat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:29 am

I don't know if someone mentioned this on the comments for 011 or 012, but I think it bears discussing: What if the change in TV's attitude toward Royalty and their treatment of Jillian has more to do with a change in her status than any plans they have for her.

Here in update 013, we see the first explicit confirmation that Don King is declaring that Royals matter more, and by fiat, that's the official line internally and externally. What if it's because Jetstone's king has been in contact with his opposite number in TV, and a new alliance and coalition is already forming.

I have the sneaking suspicion that Jillian is a princess in more than just name only. It may be that Jetstone has adopted her and she is not just royalty to an empty FAQ, but also Jetstone royalty. Declaring an heir to a unit that already has the royal sub-type and bonuses might actually be cheaper than popping a new one, as well as being much more effective mechanincs-wise. What think ye?
Benementat

Postby Bakin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:42 am

Another new thing in this *excellent* update: Oceans, and Navies! :D
There's bound to be a whole bunch of puns & jokes with maritime flavor comin' up
:lol:
Axiom: There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Bakin

Postby Unclever title » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:31 am

SteveMB wrote:
Zolon wrote:Foreshadowing or clever red herring?

Obviously not very clever, if it just sat there and let itself get speared like that. :lol:
Someone call my name? :D

Pax wrote:... and maybe, really, that's what being Disbanded means: noone provides for you; you're stuck tracking down and acquiring your own "provisions", and god help you if you're not a capable combat type? Or else, you have to earn schmuckers with which to BUY those provisions from someone who IS combat-capable?

(Personal comment accusing another poster of trolling deleted --SteveMB)
[Edit]That was intended as a lighthearted jab actually, sorry for any offenses felt if any.[/Edit]

Though that does raise a good point and can be used as support for Kreistor's position, though it doesn't necessarily say disbanding = becoming barbarian. Though I suppose if people wanted to debate that topic, it would best done where it's already taken over.

Anyway I'm liking these updates on Zamussels more than I thought I would, particularly updates 11 and this one, 13. It's cool to learn more about Transylvito, and I love that ocean travel is brought up specifically, makes me wonder again about the geography of Erfworld.
Last edited by Unclever title on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unclever title
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Goshen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:59 am

Benementat wrote:I have the sneaking suspicion that Jillian is a princess in more than just name only. It may be that Jetstone has adopted her and she is not just royalty to an empty FAQ, but also Jetstone royalty. Declaring an heir to a unit that already has the royal sub-type and bonuses might actually be cheaper than popping a new one, as well as being much more effective mechanincs-wise. What think ye?

Not bad. It would be a nice way to make a play for Faq too.
Goshen

Next

Return to Reactions