Summer Updates - 013

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 013

Postby badninja » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:10 am

Wow, naming fish, now that is interesting. The name caught me off guard this could be interesting or chance, but it is too unlikely.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:11 am

Unclever title wrote:(Scrubbed --SteveMB)

Heads up: the whole Disbanding thing has been Concluded.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Unclever title » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:27 am

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:Heads up: the whole Disbanding thing has been Concluded.
Woah! Thanks!
Unclever title
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby atteSmythe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:49 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:

Oh, thank god. That whole discussion was getting cumbersome (at best).
atteSmythe

Postby DevilDan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:31 pm

atteSmythe wrote:
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:

Oh, thank god. That whole discussion was getting cumbersome (at best).

Worse, it was boring and had been so for a while.

Nice update; the move towards Roman motifs reminds me of the mobster-Romans in Aprin's Mythadventures books: "Big Julie" is Julius Caesar, etc.

It could be that Wanda is getting provisions popped automatically, either from her own purse—if she has money left—or through whatever remains, if anything, of the RCC or through TV. In any case, this could simply be an example of Erfworld crafting. She expends some energy or move or whatever to take a natural resource and to turn it into extra food that can be eaten at any time or at end of turn or whatever.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby BarGamer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:21 pm

I had to look up the Aqua Velva one. I'm pretty sure that in addition to the Weird Al, Fat Albert, etc references, we're gonna see a Big Gay Al, too. Of course, this opens up a whole WAREHOUSE of possible joke references. I'm holding out for references to the South Park "World of Warcraft" episode.

I wonder how Jillian feels about spearing and beheading a fish with the same name as her lover? XD

Grand Abbey: "This was a world of warmancies... But Parson broke it."
Sizemore: "Titans, it's about time."

PS: SteveMB is a Mod?! When was this? Belated congratulations! *Wanders away, quite confused.*
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Varthonai » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 pm

"Al Frappacino" seemed a little forced to me... not that I can make a better Al Pacino pun.

Still a great update, though. It's refreshing to see the odd compassionate character (Sizemore's always been my favorite in the story) and Al seems to be one.
Varthonai
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:35 pm

i agree, so far tv and jillian have bored me, but al frappa seems like he could be endearing. and the inevitable battle between two characters the readers enjoy will make for a better story...though these comments might heat up a bit when that happens.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Xorbon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Interesting to have a Transilvitian with a skin tone other than grey. And he can't fly. Is he even a vampire?

Also, he seems to be more of an administrator than a warlord, so he doesn't really seem to fit in with the other Transilvito warlords we've seen.
Xorbon

Postby valce » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Al's appearance and personality suggest that he wasn't part of TV, possibly a conquered nation or even perhaps a tributary? With his personality it's possible he would have opted to be assimilated by the biggest guy around rather than throw his city into a needless conflict. Assuming, of course, that he had a choice.

Although his name kinda fits with the mobster theme, Al Pacino wasn't a real mobster (AFAIK) - he just played one extremely well.
valce

Postby Goshen » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Erfworld shows how powerful puns and satire can be. In that spirit, I present this article about a literal bunch of clowns humiliated a KKK rally:

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?s ... 0ox&ref=nf
Goshen

Postby Carlan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:52 pm

With the keeping of the fish and the extra weight, I'd assume Al was from FAQ. Perhaps he named all his fish after people he knew there, if he is from there. Either way, I hope he lets Jillian know not to eat the green ones.

On second thought, Jillian would have recognized him. Duh me.
Carlan

Postby Angular » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:44 am

I have heard about a former roman consul (in ancient Rome) that cried and mourned for his deceased pet fish. Quintus Hortensius, perhaps?

Interesting as there are references of Ancient Rome, like Caesar etc.

And i bet that, when Jil departs, she will say "so long and thanks for all the fish".
Angular

Postby Itzal » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:30 am

Heads up people. For those of you who didn't get the reference. While the fact that the fish was named wanda might be forshadowing I think it was more just a pun of the movie "A Fish Called Wanda"
Veni Vedi Volo En Domium Redare
I came, I saw, I wanna go home.
Itzal

Postby HandofShadows » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:48 am

Itzal wrote:Heads up people. For those of you who didn't get the reference. While the fact that the fish was named wanda might be forshadowing I think it was more just a pun of the movie "A Fish Called Wanda"

A "heads up" for you as well. The "a Fish Called Wanda" was pointed out on the first page. Post 8 I belive. :|
HandofShadows

Postby moose o death » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:46 am

Angular wrote:I have heard about a former roman consul (in ancient Rome) that cried and mourned for his deceased pet fish. Quintus Hortensius, perhaps?

Interesting as there are references of Ancient Rome, like Caesar etc.

And i bet that, when Jil departs, she will say "so long and thanks for all the fish".

haven't seen any other douglas adams style stuff yet. has any of the pop culture stuff been book based or is it all tv, movies and politics?

we'd see the number 42 used as an answer to somthing not number based before so ,long and thanks for the fish. or the best scenario would be the eye books having dont panic written on the cover.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Wisp Wings » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:49 am

*giggle* *squeel* :D ect... This is my general reaction to Erfworld.

I'm wondering what the "scarecrows" look like. I'm hoping that at least one point we get to see one that looks like the one form "Howl's Moving Castle". Can anyone else think of any scarecrow references?

Also, I'd just like to point out that the scarecrows are guarding the humans!!!! From my experience
STRENGTH OF PROTECTOR<STRENGTH OF PROTECTEE
(unless the protectee is a mage/ warrior king ect. (which I highly doubt in this case))...
Well, any way, even though we know one thing about dollamancers, I want to be one when I grow up...
:?
*squeel* *giggle*
Avatar is an one of Charlie's Archrons from the Erfworld Webcomic. May the Titans bless thee and Croak thy enemys.
Wisp Wings

Postby moose o death » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:36 am

i guess the theory dollamancy is voodoo like is out then. must be the origin of cloth golems and such though.

i wonder what abilities a scarecrow would have though. low move, defensive bonus against air. i'm kinda stuck on low move though. polearm for the equipped weapon? it's not likely the wanda thing means alot.

though my first thought was "fate magic playing it's cards again" so maybe large complicated foreshadowing. so many unanswered questions about FAQ and what if any involvement stanley really had in it's fall. wanda has said she invited him, but she's not telling parson the whole story either. jack appears to be in love with jillian as well and he couldn't betray stanley either. why are two faq casters trying to keep him alive at the expense of jillian, who is made to suffer. even though they both seem fairly fond of her.

we think we know wanda's immediate angle, get A arkentool...anyone of them is fine. what's jacks stake in all this? yet another reason i'm annoyed the barbarian-tv is heading the wrong way
moose o death

Postby Goshen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:38 am

The fact the Jillian stabbed a fish named Wanda through the heart may not be foreshadowing but a reference to Jillian already having hurt Wanda by leaving her for Ansom. Or it may be both.
Goshen

Postby BarGamer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Well, there's the Batman scarecrow, the Kingdom Hearts one, and the Zelda: Ocarina of Time one... Oh, and the Nightmare before Christmas. That's all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

My kneejerk theory is to assume Batman or Kingdom Hearts scarecrows until proved otherwise. Or, you know, I could just make up more crackpot theories/epileptic trees.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions