Book 2 – Page 66

Postby balder » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:42 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 66

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:52 am

First!

Ok let's see now

1. Marie's accent is beginning to bother me. I mean, Sizemore doesn't sound welsh, the Jetstones don't talk posh, and the transylvitans use a bit of slang but their speech is not skewed to either an italian or a central european stereotype.

2. I think i've figured out Marie's pin. The omega in the triangle. Suppose the triangle is meant to be a delta. DO="Delphic Oracle".

3. Pamela Anderson is a thinkamancer?

4. So-- the alignment of goals between the cabals is parted. Roll the tumbleweed.

5. Heh, Groundup.

6. I know that's supposed to be Morticia, but it looks more as if her daughter grew up and borrowed her octopus dress.

7. Is that still Spock? Looks more like a romulan than a vulcan.

8. I can't place the man in the suit but i have a nagging feeling he's a cartoon character and one that would not be normally be cast as an intellectual.

9. The Great Minds seem to have succeeded in their "nothing to see here" spell, since the rest of the denizens of the MK are going about their business as if nothing is happening.
Last edited by Dr Pepper on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Skittles » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:00 am

This was the first thing that came to mind when wonder what Parson must be feeling like right now. He's probably a lot more calm and/or positive about this, but it made me laugh.

(p.s it's only the first ten seconds) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYN_VNYK ... be&t=9m55s
Skittles

Postby doran » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:02 am

hm so who can name the new Thinkamancers? one of them's Vance from HL2...
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby korbenm » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 am

Really nice update.
Hope they remove the component of the Spell which forces him to obey.
Maggie will have a lot of explaining to do when Stanley finds her :D
korbenm

Postby Hravik » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:24 am

doran wrote:hm so who can name the new Thinkamancers? one of them's Vance from HL2...

Given the uniform on ol' pointy ears there I'm going to guess Tomalak from The Next Generation.
Hravik

Postby Lemarc » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 am

Marie doesn't seem to recognise sarcasm. I get the impression she thinks she's smarter than she is.
Lemarc

Postby asparagus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:40 am

Have the Great Minds really thought what they are going to do once they have the Messiah under their protection, or are all the thinkamancers really a sinister side unto themselves rather than a mere magic kingdom faction. Looks like Maggie is going to be in so much twouble.
asparagus

Postby Raza » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:50 am

Fun update. This interpretation of Morticia is pretty hot.

I'm pretty sure the 'Minds are benign and Parson's going to benefit from what they want to tell him... s'just that he's got a battle to be at with some urgency. We'll see how far hex-relative time stretches, I guess.

I'm still enjoying Marie's accent. Always loved the transylvitans', too. More characters can have these as far as I'm concerned.
Raza

Postby Brucester » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:52 am

Much as I enjoy this webcomic, I would very much like to see Parson go through that portal in the very near future.

Pretty please.
Brucester
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Raza » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:56 am

Ask Janis. She could probably hit the lot of them with love and peace; Wanda suggests at the start of the book that grand abbies have exceptional mass confrontation-quieting powers.

We've seen her do that though, so I'm not expecting the same spell again.
Raza

Postby JustDoug » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:06 am

I don't think anyone saw that coming. I know I didn't.

I think we're about to head over into Explanation and Explication time for a bit, but since I've got my thinking cap on; I also think we're about to see Erf's dichotomy between Fate with a capital 'F', represented by Marie's pre-laid plans and Parsons's current itinerary of Kicking Serious Butt, and Free Will as thought about by the Thinkers and considered by others being made plain, with Parson finding Choices between Duty and Brave New World being waved at him. Some parties are going to wind upset no matter his decision.

As a bonus, I'll toss this into the pot or surmises: The GMTA have the unmentioned Power Tool in their possession, and are considering seeing if Parson might be the proud new owner thereof. That's just a long-shot "what if" though.
JustDoug

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:13 am

Well Boop. And awesome, something so unexpected (well, to me anyway). Interesting turn of events, looks like Parson trip to the MK might be on hold for a bit longer, or is he going to risk making enemies with a powerful faction (that counts a close ally of his amongst their ranks) and just try and go through them?

I would like to see the Thinkamancer Temple. And "ally" - hmmm. And is this what Maggie intended, or have they gone off script?

Plus - the mystery of the scroll continues. And Marie... hmmm, I don't know. The whole goal of ending the never ending war of Erf could be argued as a noble goal, but I like how it troubles Janis (as well as individuals with less knowledge like Parson and Sizemore). The costs are going to be so high it should be troubling and doubt filled. Marie seems a bit at ease with the whole "people to kill" aspect of things. Far to at ease, far to welcoming of it.

Always like shots of the magic kindom to, trying to pick out casters . So the representatives of the great minds include Alyx Vance, Morticia (love the Addams Family in most of its versions, I especially hope there is a Raul Julia Gomez running around. Hmmm, what kind of Mancer would he be?) a Final Fantasy character, Pam Andersons character from Bay Watch (lol), a Next Gen Romulan (name escapes me) and... Judge Joe Brown? No, to much hair.
Last edited by Dancing Cthulhu on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby asparagus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:17 am

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:Pam Andersons character from Bay Watch (lol)

Fairly obvious really. She switches off most of the brain (especially in males) so counts as a thinkamancer.
asparagus

Postby Klivian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:20 am

Is the one in the red robe Vaarsuvius from OOTS? Hard to tell.

If I were in Parson's shoes, I'd find the line, "We're here to help, you have no choice but to come with us" a bit hard to swallow from people introducing themselves as friends. Best approach would be to say "Sorry, got a battle to run, bbl, kthxbye" and hit the portal. Once the battle is over there will be time to go back to the MK and talk, now is not that time.
Klivian

Postby BakaGrappler » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:21 am

The far left Thinkamancer could just as easily be the female protagonist from Beyond Good and Evil, who was a photojournalist. One that specialized in infiltration to get her knowledge.

She does not necessarily have to be Alyx Vance.

And I think the Thinkamancers want to have a long chat with Parson in the one place where Charlie can't overhear them. So...good thing, bad timing.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:24 am

And no text update... :o What is happening with Slately, Trem, the Jetstone casters, Warlord Greybrows, Oss - too much suspense!

Lemarc wrote:Marie doesn't seem to recognise sarcasm. I get the impression she thinks she's smarter than she is.

Well, this is Erfworld, not real world - even the smartest characters can miss the complexities in Parson speak. I found it a bit creepy - "that's the spirit".

Dr Pepper wrote:8. I can't place the man in the suit but i have a nagging feeling he's a cartoon character and one that would not be normally be cast as an intellectual.

The guy talking? That's Issac (Newton) and his apparence is inspired by Carl Sagan - both pretty high ranking intellectuals. Or do you mean the judge? He looks familial but I can't place him for the life of me.

I'm also curious about the guy walking and talking in the last panel - is that Irenicus (of Baldur's Gate II fame?)

1. Marie's accent is beginning to bother me. I mean, Sizemore doesn't sound welsh, the Jetstones don't talk posh, and the transylvitans use a bit of slang but their speech is not skewed to either an italian or a central european stereotype.

I always figured there probably were accents in Erfworld - but everyone speaks English (so TV speaks Italian accented English, Jetstone speaks with a posh English or French accented English). Marie is just the first we have seen with very strong accented English.

Raza wrote:Ask Janis. She could probably hit the lot of them with love and peace; Wanda suggests at the start of the book that grand abbies have exceptional mass confrontation-quieting powers.

And possibly to soon for Janis and co to totally burn their bridges with the Magic Kingdom - I pictured Issac as the Thinkmancer equivalent of Janis. It would have to be at least a bit of a tough battle to subdue them all.

BakaGrappler wrote:The far left Thinkamancer could just as easily be the female protagonist from Beyond Good and Evil, who was a photojournalist. One that specialized in infiltration to get her knowledge.

She does not necessarily have to be Alyx Vance.

I guess, but she doesn't really look like Jade - no green jacket or hair band (or lipstick), dress style is fairly different - she looks a lot more like Alyx Vance to me (clothing wise it is a damn good match).

I would be very happy to see a Jade look alike pop up though (more love for under-appreciated games! Hopefully Raz pops up as a Thinkamancer).
Last edited by Dancing Cthulhu on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby eveil » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:45 am

Klivian wrote:Is the one in the red robe Vaarsuvius from OOTS? Hard to tell.

It's Sanaki from Fire Emblem.
eveil

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 am

Hmmm, reading it again, Marie's bits - I wonder how much she knows of Parson's time with GK and back in the real world. Friends? Sizemore and Maggie would count, but would Parson consider Wanda or Stanley "friends"? If I was Parson I'd wonder what she knew "Ok, you seem fairly dismissive of my previous life by implying I now have a home and friends - what exactly do you know about me really?"

eveil wrote:
Klivian wrote:Is the one in the red robe Vaarsuvius from OOTS? Hard to tell.

It's Sanaki from Fire Emblem.

So it is, good catch. I Never played the game so I know nothing about her, I guess there is something Thinkamancy-ish about her.

asparagus wrote:Fairly obvious really. She switches off most of the brain (especially in males) so counts as a thinkamancer.

:lol: that makes a lot of sense.
Last edited by Dancing Cthulhu on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:58 am

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:
Dr Pepper wrote:8. I can't place the man in the suit but i have a nagging feeling he's a cartoon character and one that would not be normally be cast as an intellectual.

The guy talking? That's Issac (Newton) and his apparence is inspired by Carl Sagan - both pretty high ranking intellectuals.

Not him, it's been pretty clear who he is for some time.

Or do you mean the judge? He looks familiar but I can't place him for the life of me.

Yeah, him.

I'm also curious about the guy walking and talking in the last panel - is that Irenicus (of Baldur's Gate II fame?)

I'm not familiar with any video games so that would be entirely beyond me.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Next

Return to Reactions