Book 2 – Page 66

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 66

Postby sleepymancer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:18 am

Just to add to the can-prophecy-be-changed debate and the commentary on Predictamancers that outlive their side being looked down upon:

1. Just because the predictamancer is being blamed does not mean it was her (in this case) fault or responsibility that the side fell or indeed that she could have done anything about it. People are not logical. If you have never blamed someone else and/or been blamed by somebody else inappropriately then I am very impressed. I don't believe you, of course, but I'm impressed nonetheless :p

2. It is quite possible that Fate set the (two) unalterable events to appear to be cause and effect, and that the blame for the side failing was as predictamancyable as the side itself falling...

On the Jojo thing, about can order outlast death of a ruler: wasn't it more a personal request than an order??

Anyway, I witter. (perhaps I shall change my tag to 'Wittermancer')
:D
I tend to witter on, produce copious typos and run off on nonsensical tangents. If I've done this here, please forgive me :D
I also get a bit obstinate and argumentative. If I'm not budging or understanding your counterargument call me on my manners
sleepymancer

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:23 am

sleepymancer wrote:Anyway, I witter. (perhaps I shall change my tag to 'Wittermancer')

Simon Mayo? Mark Kermode? Is that one of you?

Or is it appropriate to say, Hello Jason Isaacs?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby sleepymancer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:49 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
sleepymancer wrote:Anyway, I witter. (perhaps I shall change my tag to 'Wittermancer')

Simon Mayo? Mark Kermode? Is that one of you?

Or is it appropriate to say, Hello Jason Isaacs?

Gah, what terrible company to keep (apart from 'Lucius'), I guess just like there are dollamacers and then there are dollamancers, so too do wittermancers come in various forms. I, of course, belong to a more academic rather than popular, acting, journalistic or, shudder, political school :lol:

For direct combat we have two spells I can think of: a very strong sleep spell demonstrated by V in the early strips of OOTS and some kind of storm/lightning with a gothic German script for the sound effect!
I tend to witter on, produce copious typos and run off on nonsensical tangents. If I've done this here, please forgive me :D
I also get a bit obstinate and argumentative. If I'm not budging or understanding your counterargument call me on my manners
sleepymancer

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Well, one of those three is a Doctor, ya know.

Of Horror Films, true, but I guess that's as good a doctorate as any.

Except for when you want a bone put back in place, in which case there's an obvious ranking.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Marie also said it was 'blurry', that she couldn't see some or all of the details regarding the fall of her side.

Anyone looking to do prophesy in RPGs, the Ravenloft campaign setting has a great guide on how to do prophesy without railroading players too much. Mostly it involves being vague. :D But you can also adjust the game to better fit the player's expectations or interpretations of the prophesy they receive. (Of course, you can completely railroad them too.)
Beeskee

Postby Goshen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 pm

I wonder if units that are stacked together can attack each other? And what are the rules for un-stacking? Maybe person could create a stalemate by agreeing to stack with the thinkamancers, so they can't attack, then just refusing to move.

Kreistor wrote:I could have sworn that there was an actress in the late 90's, early 00's that was also a physicist. Google is failing me though, since it only brings up Anne Hathaway and Sarah Jessica Parker as candidates, but neither are blonde.

You are probably thinking of "Hedy Lamarr" who was indeed a successful Yale-educated physicist. Google her or look her up in Wikipedia. Amazing person!
Goshen

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Goshen wrote:I wonder if units that are stacked together can attack each other? And what are the rules for un-stacking? Maybe person could create a stalemate by agreeing to stack with the thinkamancers, so they can't attack, then just refusing to move.

Units can't attack their own stack. WoG from the Summer Updates.
The.Healing.Mage

Postby Goshen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:19 pm

The.Healing.Mage wrote:
Goshen wrote:I wonder if units that are stacked together can attack each other? And what are the rules for un-stacking? Maybe Parson could create a stalemate by agreeing to stack with the thinkamancers, so they can't attack, then just refusing to move.

HAH! Thanks. I wonder if pushing past fellow units is considered an attack? Could Parson later un-stack into the portal? That sounds too good to be true, because if he could un-stack any time, so could they. I suspect that stacking is somehow “sticky”, easier to get into than out of, but that's just a guess.

It would be amusing to see Parson taking the stalemate option and we see if seven tiny thinkamancers can move his big fat butt.
Goshen

Postby Oberon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Kreistor wrote:No, most certainly not. HAving learned what Parson's strategy is, does Charlie actual use that information to determine how to deploy his troops? Parson knows that Charlie can, so Parson can choose a strategy that is specifically designed to deal with that defense.

And no, it isn't a "win," in any sense. Charlie is still facing an unknown, and it has cost him at least one battle calculation.
Well, you seem to be making the argument that the calculations are worthless if Charlie attempts to use them to defend himself against Parson. So why not use up a worthless resource, just for the chance it might help?
Kreistor wrote:BTW, the sample space is far too small to draw any inference on whether predictions cannot fail at this point. It's entirely possible, but I'm looking at that stigma attached to Predictamancers whose Sides fall and thinking Predictions have to be able to be caused to fail.
I appreciate that the sample size is vanishingly small. But it's all we have for now. (and I don't really expect much more except for Marie tossing out a few more "This is soch an im-POA-tant turn, Sizemore. I told Jonnis that days ago, didn't I, honnay?" and "No she's really da one, I Predict it Jonnis,") And there is no denying the stigma, but as I said prejudice and misunderstanding seem as strong in Erfworld as they are in Stupidworld.
Kreistor wrote:There's one thing about most of the Predictions that we've seen so far: most of them are positive for the receiver, so they want them to come true. Banhammer certainly tried to avoid his Side falling by popping an heir: kinda hard to explain why you'd pop an heir if you thought your Side falling was inevitable.
Perhaps for the same reason sides occasionally break off a portion of their assets into a new side? Dunno, it is a bit mystifying.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Brucester » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:39 am

Goshen wrote:
The.Healing.Mage wrote:
Goshen wrote:I wonder if units that are stacked together can attack each other? And what are the rules for un-stacking? Maybe Parson could create a stalemate by agreeing to stack with the thinkamancers, so they can't attack, then just refusing to move.

HAH! Thanks. I wonder if pushing past fellow units is considered an attack? Could Parson later un-stack into the portal? That sounds too good to be true, because if he could un-stack any time, so could they. I suspect that stacking is somehow “sticky”, easier to get into than out of, but that's just a guess.

It would be amusing to see Parson taking the stalemate option and we see if seven tiny thinkamancers can move his big fat butt.

I like Goshen's prediction for the next strip. Yes to Alliance, Yes to Stack... and now you can't touch me it's goodbye and I'm walking through the portal.

Of course Marie, Janis and Sizemore doing spellcaster-fu on the thinkamancers also works for me... if it allows Parson to dive through that nice blue portal.

Noooo to going to the Temple of the Thinkamancers. Parson, you don't need to know and you're getting very distracted in MK. Get to Spacerock, kill off the Jetstones.
Brucester
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 am

Kreistor wrote:There's one thing about most of the Predictions that we've seen so far: most of them are positive for the receiver, so they want them to come true. Banhammer certainly tried to avoid his Side falling by popping an heir: kinda hard to explain why you'd pop an heir if you thought your Side falling was inevitable.

If Jillian hadn't been an heir, she would have disbanded. In that case, or if Jillian had not been popped at all, then the next Side founded on the site of the former Faq would not have been named Faq, and would not have been ruled by Banhammer's "daughter" (though I don't think we know that he saw her as a daughter the way Slately regards even his disappointing Royal warlords as "sons"). Setting up Jillian to be Queen of a new Side allows Banhammer to have a personal legacy that has outlasted his Side.

Hmm, it could be that Marie is still loyal to Faq and has been pro-Wanda because Wanda's love of Jillian is destined to benefit Faq. And I wonder if Parson is destined to be megalogwiffed, and that's the real reason Marie wants him in the field. The big ideas about breaking war may be cover for smaller, partisan ambitions.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Sieggy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:40 am

Kreistor wrote:I could have sworn that there was an actress in the late 90's, early 00's that was also a physicist. Google is failing me though, since it only brings up Anne Hathaway and Sarah Jessica Parker as candidates, but neither are blonde.

You are probably thinking of "Hedy Lamarr" who was indeed a successful Yale-educated physicist. Google her or look her up in Wikipedia. Amazing person![/quote]
That's HEDLEY!

In the same vein, though, Claudette Colbert was also an electrical engineer who did work for the War dept during WWII.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby drachefly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:36 am

Hedley? Umm, no. Hedy. Look it up yourself (oh wait, that's an in group joke on the IWC/LMoO forum, not here. oh well).

I'm sure there was one more recent, though.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of Jim Carrey?

No, it was definitely an actress or model.
drachefly

Postby Kreistor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Hedy! Yes, that's who I was thinking of! (Not blonde though, so not a candidate.... though she should have been. My vote for Hedy for GMTTA!)
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Housellama » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Beeskee wrote:Marie also said it was 'blurry', that she couldn't see some or all of the details regarding the fall of her side.

And we trust what Marie said out loud to other Erfworlders because...?

Just because someone said it in the comic doesn't make it true. It just makes it true that they said it.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:23 pm

It's your choice, and no I don't know for sure either. :D But it fits with how predictions usually are in our world.
Beeskee

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Kreistor wrote:Hedy! Yes, that's who I was thinking of! (Not blonde though, so not a candidate....)

Why are we assuming that every caster in the group has to be a thinkamancer? Red Beach Bunny could be a hippiemancer for all we know - she runs in slow motion and suddenly no one can attack. If I were a Great Mind, I'd totally Suggest that she hang around me as much as possible...
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby DoctorJest » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:15 pm

MarbitChow wrote: If I were a Great Mind, I'd totally Suggest that she hang around me as much as possible...

I don't know if you're a Great Mind, nor if I'm one, but I can say we DO think alike! :D
DoctorJest

Postby Kalak » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:09 pm

I know this is off topic, but if I had hundreds of dollars, I would pay to have the next 10 comics today. There is so much at stake!
Kalak

Postby fjolnir » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Well, one of those three is a Doctor, ya know.

Of Horror Films, true, but I guess that's as good a doctorate as any.

Except for when you want a bone put back in place, in which case there's an obvious ranking.

I would rather have the horror movie guy set a bone than let's say Doctor Demento, whose field is ethnomusicology...

Though both are better than Doctor Mario, who I have on good authority, is not actually a real doctor at all...
fjolnir

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions