My own D&D game.

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

My own D&D game.

Postby MuthSera » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:26 pm

Okay guys, I had this really cool game idea. Listen.

I call it.. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD..

Everyone starts play with a gestalt Barbarian/Cleric(Kord) of 5th level, with a 45 point buy, and the game play consists of going from town to town and kicking everyone's ass... pole vaulting onto dragon's backs and barshing them with your great swords, and drinking lots of beer. Oh jeez..
That would be so fricken awesome.

Oh man.. where do I find the little sarcasm tags? I can't be sarcastic without it!
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
MuthSera

Re: My own D&D game.

Postby malekith » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:57 pm

interesting idea, and as fun as it sounds right now id like to play a proper game :lol:

M
malekith

Postby Lothmar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:24 pm

It's basically a 'ravager' game type. A band of blood thirsty individuals going around commiting attrocities against the citizenry of various kingdoms with no real motives save thier own sadism; or if they do it's usually flimsy at best. I've actually played a game like this, it's a 'dark' comedy game mostly where everyone just competes for the worst shock value so they can make jokes at those moments expenses later when they're hanging out, etc. They're fun for one or two sessions. ^^

I had a badass halfling ranger/barbarian two weapon fighting kukri crit master with boots of striding and springing and a few other fun magic items which basically turned him into yoda on several fun occassions. My favorite moment would be when he made a listen check and heard opponents down a hall on the other side of the door who were about to ambush the party, he had a higher initiative so he charged and jumped the door as it was being openend, disembowled the one he knocked down and scared one of the two remaining enemies into retreat. The fight with the second wasnt that spectatcular but the other hobo kept getting frightened of my halfling and dropping the keys so by the time I was done I grabbed the handy intestines on the floor from the first hobgoblin, charge jump bullrush comboed the last hobo into the door and grapple strangled him from atop his shoulders to death. It was a good day since goblinoid was his favored enemy. ^^
Lothmar

Postby MuthSera » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Lothmar wrote:It's basically a 'ravager' game type. A band of blood thirsty individuals going around commiting attrocities against the citizenry of various kingdoms with no real motives save thier own sadism; or if they do it's usually flimsy at best. I've actually played a game like this, it's a 'dark' comedy game mostly where everyone just competes for the worst shock value so they can make jokes at those moments expenses later when they're hanging out, etc. They're fun for one or two sessions. ^^

I had a badass halfling ranger/barbarian two weapon fighting kukri crit master with boots of striding and springing and a few other fun magic items which basically turned him into yoda on several fun occassions. My favorite moment would be when he made a listen check and heard opponents down a hall on the other side of the door who were about to ambush the party, he had a higher initiative so he charged and jumped the door as it was being openend, disembowled the one he knocked down and scared one of the two remaining enemies into retreat. The fight with the second wasnt that spectatcular but the other hobo kept getting frightened of my halfling and dropping the keys so by the time I was done I grabbed the handy intestines on the floor from the first hobgoblin, charge jump bullrush comboed the last hobo into the door and grapple strangled him from atop his shoulders to death. It was a good day since goblinoid was his favored enemy. ^^

Oh man. This is precisely what this thread needs to be about. Make it so, #1.
MuthSera

Postby Pax » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:07 am

MuthSera wrote:Everyone starts play with a gestalt Barbarian/Cleric(Kord) of 5th level [...]

Suggested alteration: pick any one of the following ...
  • Gestalt [Barbarian] // [Cleric of Kord] (typical warrior-priest)
  • Gestalt [Barbarian] // [Bard]
  • Gestalt [Cleric of Kord] // [Bard]

^_^ Gotta have skalds, if you want to do a barbarian sort of game!
Pax

Postby MuthSera » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:05 am

Pax wrote:
MuthSera wrote:Everyone starts play with a gestalt Barbarian/Cleric(Kord) of 5th level [...]

Suggested alteration: pick any one of the following ...
  • Gestalt [Barbarian] // [Cleric of Kord] (typical warrior-priest)
  • Gestalt [Barbarian] // [Bard]
  • Gestalt [Cleric of Kord] // [Bard]

^_^ Gotta have skalds, if you want to do a barbarian sort of game!

Mm. This is sounding like a better and better idea every minute.
MuthSera

Postby MuthSera » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:36 pm

It's kind of funny to see: A topic with only a mildly interesting or bad title will generate a low views/replies ratio.. while one with a great title will draw high replies to views ratio. Take this thread for instance: over 12 views to every reply.. while the vending machine is, and has been about 4 views for every reply.

Anyways..

Hopefully Gerwulf will return and continue his game. But until then, I.. may consider DMing a game. :/ Maybe a serious one, or maybe one along the previously mentioned lines of ridiculous. Anyways. I dunno yet. I need some feedback on how people feel about it.
MuthSera

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:53 pm

you can't judge vs the vending machine... it's far easier to reply to a topic like that than one like this
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby malekith » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:15 pm

indeed.
Also I'd participate in a serious game if you're gonna do one.
either my rogue you can see on the other thread changed a bit to suit needs, or the wizard i told you about on msn.

M
Last edited by malekith on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malekith

Postby Doktor Jones » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:05 pm

malekith wrote:either my rouge you can see on the other thread changed a bit to suit needs

You put makeup on a thread?

Sorry, nothing personal... this is just one of my favorite typos... I can't resist picking on it ^_^ (the correct spelling you're looking for is "rogue")
Doktor Jones
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby malekith » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:05 pm

lol thanks for that! it's fine to pick up on that. Changed :)

M
malekith

Postby Lothmar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:43 pm

You know, im half tempted to call dibs on the bardbarian. (gestalt bard/barbarian) XD Warshout master for the win.
Lothmar

Postby MuthSera » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Ugh. o_o;

So. Consensus. @.o People's opinion of me attempting to DM a game?
MuthSera

Postby malekith » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:49 am

id be up for it.

M
malekith

Postby MuthSera » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Special hint:

The first person to call dibs on a gestalt Barbarian/apostle of peace winrars the internet.

Barbarian/healer(Miniatures handbook.) wins the game too.

*reading rainbow chime*
MuthSera

Postby Pax » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:01 am

MuthSera wrote:The first person to call dibs on a gestalt Barbarian/apostle of peace winrars the internet.

Done - dibs - because I honestly think I could make it WORK, given sufficient levels (it'd be SERIOUSLY gimp before then, of course - but who ever said the path of true Sainthood was ever an EASY one? :) ).

Remember, Apostle of Peace is a prestige class; you don't have to directly gestalt it with Barbarian, to have both classes in the mix. So, you could make a [ Barbarian / Apostle of Peace ] / [ Wizard (Enchanter) / ??? ]; Evocation and Necromancy would be his barred schools. Charms, baleful polymorphs, entrapping walls and forcecages ... :)

So, what level would you be looking at? 10 or 12 would be lovely.

Also, Unearthed Arcana ... class variants and alternate class abilities. One option is to replace Barbarian Rage with a Favored Enemy (as Rangers) and a combat style (also as Rangers). Let's see ... Favored Enemy: Undead, check; Favored Enemy: Constructs, check. Favored Enemy: Evil Outsiders, check ... :) ... all of which an Apostle of Peace may "GRRR! SMASH! DESTROY! KILL!!" without violating, nor even bending, his Oath of Peace.
Pax

Postby malekith » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:05 am

sounds like it would work....
would you do it (or work towards it) if we started any lower than that level. would make some interesting RP. A Barbarian that suddenly finds religion and goes to zealot xD
I assume you're not gonna bar any books or rules are you Muth?
also at the risk of sounding stoopid/naive/both what is a gestalt class? i've come across some mentions of them before but never had to worry about it or look 'em up :oops:

M
malekith

Postby Pax » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:03 am

malekith wrote:sounds like it would work....
would you do it (or work towards it) if we started any lower than that level. would make some interesting RP. A Barbarian that suddenly finds religion and goes to zealot xD

Probably not for a PbP game; they rarely, in my experience, last long enough to justify the cost (since there'd be no "big payoff at the end").

Face to face, with the right group? And with the consent of the group, sicne the choices involved would impose some changes on THEIR characters' actions, too? Yes, you know, I think I just might.

Rules from both UA and BoED have already been mentioend by him/her, so ... :)

also at the risk of sounding stoopid/naive/both what is a gestalt class? i've come across some mentions of them before but never had to worry about it or look 'em up :oops:

The Gestalt rules are in Unearthed Arcana.

Short short short version: Take two classes, and combine all theri abilities together - the best HD, the best attack bonus, the best for each save, the best rate of skill point acquisition. All class abilities (identical or redundant features, "use the best"). All class-skills for either class are class-skills for the gestalt.

That's a Gestalt character.

So, a first-level Fighter-Rogue gestalt? Has a single d10 Hit Die, bonus Fighter feats, strong Fortitude and Reflex saves, tons of skill points, sneak attack, trapfinding, proficiency in all Martial and Rogue weapons, and proficiency in all Armors. Would probably play like a tough-as-heck, very skilled-at-fighting Rogue.

A sixth level Bard-Cleric gestalt? Six d8 hit dice, +4 attack bonus, all save bonusses at +5 base, 6th-level Bardic music (including Inspire courage +1, inspire competence, Fascinate, and Suggestion), Bardic Knowledge at +6, Countersong, Bard spells of up to second level, cleric spells of up to second level, two Domains, turns or rebukes undead as a 6th-level Cleric, 6+INT skill points per level, and clerical Spontaneous casting.

A Ninth-level Wizard-Sorceror gestalt? Nine d4 hit dice, +6 will save, +3 fortitude and reflex saves, 2+INT skills per level, Sorceror spells of up to 4th level, Wizard spells of up to 5th level, bonus Wizard feats (Scribe scroll and one other, gotten at 5th elvel) ... and the ability to have only ONE Familiar, as the ability to acquire a familiar is considered "the same class feature".

A final note: generally, any "make these two classes work well together" sort of prestige classes should be considered, by default, verboten - no Mystic Theurges, for example. That's because Gestalt already takes care of everything such classes do, AND does it better - but allowing someone to gestalt oen fo THOSE ... yikes.
Pax

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:11 am

Pax wrote:
MuthSera wrote:The first person to call dibs on a gestalt Barbarian/apostle of peace winrars the internet.

Done - dibs - because I honestly think I could make it WORK, given sufficient levels (it'd be SERIOUSLY gimp before then, of course - but who ever said the path of true Sainthood was ever an EASY one? :) ).

Remember, Apostle of Peace is a prestige class; you don't have to directly gestalt it with Barbarian, to have both classes in the mix. So, you could make a [ Barbarian / Apostle of Peace ] / [ Wizard (Enchanter) / ??? ]; Evocation and Necromancy would be his barred schools. Charms, baleful polymorphs, entrapping walls and forcecages ... :)

So, what level would you be looking at? 10 or 12 would be lovely.

Also, Unearthed Arcana ... class variants and alternate class abilities. One option is to replace Barbarian Rage with a Favored Enemy (as Rangers) and a combat style (also as Rangers). Let's see ... Favored Enemy: Undead, check; Favored Enemy: Constructs, check. Favored Enemy: Evil Outsiders, check ... :) ... all of which an Apostle of Peace may "GRRR! SMASH! DESTROY! KILL!!" without violating, nor even bending, his Oath of Peace.

It was a joke, more than anything else. The barbarian healer..... less so. But for this you win an internet cookie. ;D

malekith wrote:sounds like it would work....

M

A gestalt class is the merging of 2 classes into one class. While making this new class, you take everything good from the better class to do whatever.

For instance: gestalt Barbarian cleric.

Rather than getting d8s and d12s, you'd only get d12s when you leveled up, because they're the better dice.

You'd get good fort saves, and good will saves. But bad reflex saves, because neither a cleric or a barbarian have good reflex saves.

4 skill points per level, with all class skills being your class skills.

You'd gain spellcasting, like a cleric.. the ability to turn undead.. yadda.. and you'd gain the rage ability, like the barbarian.

Making a gestalt character is, in that way, taking 2 classes at once.

Generally, it's estimated that this makes you a whole 50 percent more dangerous than normal, notedly because while you may have twice as many abilities, you still have only the normal ammount of time in combat..

eh. I hope that helps. I suggest you look it up.
MuthSera

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:16 am

Pax wrote: The Gestalt rules are in Unearthed Arcana.

Short short short version: Take two classes, and combine all theri abilities together - the best HD, the best attack bonus, the best for each save, the best rate of skill point acquisition. All class abilities (identical or redundant features, "use the best"). All class-skills for either class are class-skills for the gestalt.

That's a Gestalt character.

So, a first-level Fighter-Rogue gestalt? Has a single d10 Hit Die, bonus Fighter feats, strong Fortitude and Reflex saves, tons of skill points, sneak attack, trapfinding, proficiency in all Martial and Rogue weapons, and proficiency in all Armors. Would probably play like a tough-as-heck, very skilled-at-fighting Rogue.

A sixth level Bard-Cleric gestalt? Six d8 hit dice, +4 attack bonus, all save bonusses at +5 base, 6th-level Bardic music (including Inspire courage +1, inspire competence, Fascinate, and Suggestion), Bardic Knowledge at +6, Countersong, Bard spells of up to second level, cleric spells of up to second level, two Domains, turns or rebukes undead as a 6th-level Cleric, 6+INT skill points per level, and clerical Spontaneous casting.

A Ninth-level Wizard-Sorceror gestalt? Nine d4 hit dice, +6 will save, +3 fortitude and reflex saves, 2+INT skills per level, Sorceror spells of up to 4th level, Wizard spells of up to 5th level, bonus Wizard feats (Scribe scroll and one other, gotten at 5th elvel) ... and the ability to have only ONE Familiar, as the ability to acquire a familiar is considered "the same class feature".

A final note: generally, any "make these two classes work well together" sort of prestige classes should be considered, by default, verboten - no Mystic Theurges, for example. That's because Gestalt already takes care of everything such classes do, AND does it better - but allowing someone to gestalt oen fo THOSE ... yikes.

>:/ Beat me to it and sounded better doing it.
I just woke up. lulz.
MuthSera

Next

Return to Your Games