Book 2 – Page 68

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 68

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Shouldn't Jack be able to see Parson down in the tunnel? From the last page, it looked like Parson was standing just inside the tunnel with his back to the stairs; I'd expect Jack not to miss that.
WaterMonkey314

Postby drachefly » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Could be some people in the way.

And it's not Charlie's turn, is it? We'll have to see how things stand at the end of the turn.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Kreistor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:07 am

Sieggy wrote:in the tunnel with him, as well as two more (one of whom is swinging an Arkentool) who can pop through from the other side.

They could, but they would violate convention by passing through to Jetstone again. Wanda wouldn't care about that I'd imagine, but Jack certainly would counsel against it. That's why he isn't fully passing through the portal. He's not attacking through the portal if he doesn't pass his full body from MK to Jetstone.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby clik » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:22 am

Sieggy wrote:Has anyone else wondered about the fact that Wanda is sending Hamster an Eyebook message?

The... "fact"? It sure looked to me like she was debating doing it, and Jack made his portal=sortie maneuver instead since they were coming up with solid reasons *not* to use the eyebook. Hadn't done it yet, and it looks like she won't. [edit: or at least not until after Jack reports back]

I do concur that if it came to a fight, then it looks more and more like the GMtTA are in a much less commanding position than they initially had. No doubt Jack's appearance drove that home to them. If not for Marie's prediction, it would seem like Parson was going to avoid this encounter without a fight.

Sieggy wrote:Also, if Charlie is hacking their messages, at this point he has to be ready to pop a cork, though he may see this as a golden opportunity to assault GK. With the CWL and all casters away, it leaves him with a pretty good chance of success, especially if he's massed his currently-unemployed Archons for one big push.

As already noted- not Charlie's turn. But on top of all that... If Charlie was wanting to attack Gobwin Knob, the time to do it is probably *not* when all their casters and their chief warlord are just a few steps away via the magic kingdom. If Charlie is using his archons efficiently then there are likely only very few that are not earning money or acting as a defense force. Charlie has a nasty army, but it would be pretty reckless to cease his other mercenary ventures, pull them all in to strike at arguably the most heavily defended and fortified city in existence, all hoping in advance for a very, very small window when the casters are merely 1 or 2 portals away possibly 1 minute away or less. It should not be tempting at all for Charlie to attack Gobwin Knob's capital directly even if he could right at this moment in the story.
clik

Postby Sieggy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:57 am

Well, when Wanda tells Jack to disband himself, she appears to be pretty distracted, and I was assuming that she's writing / sending a message - she's standing there holding the Eyebook open looking down at it, so it looks to me like she's mentally texting, there.

Also, in separate hexes far apart from one another, how do turns work? If there are only two sides present in a given hex, if it's not one's move, then I assume it must be the others. It shouldn't matter if it's not Charlie's turn at JS - what matters would be whose turn it is at GK. And since GKs turn was ended, it must be the turn of some / anyone else present in their hex.

Consider also that even though GKs casters may only be a short jaunt through the MK back, he also knows (assuming he's hacked the Eyebooks) that their return through the MK might well be contested. Also, he's complained that his business is WAY down - since the Archons aren't otherwise occupied, I can see him massing a significant force near GK (well hidden) just waiting for an opportunity to strike. He may lose a lot of them to the Dwagons, but if he's facing the prospect of having to disband some of them due to an inability to pay their upkeep (cf. - slow business) it's a case of use 'em or lose 'em. Better to lose them assaulting GK than just disbanding them.

And . . . I'm wondering if total loyalty isn't a basic function of the Arkentools. There's really no way to determine the loyalty of Dwagons, but we can safely assume they're Stanley's, heart and soul because of the Hammer. Same with the Archons - the Dish commands their total devotion. Same with the Pliers . . . though with Ossomer & Ansom, we may eventually whether or not that devotion is absolutely unbreakable or not. And when the 4th Tool pops up, whatever unit type is appropriate for it should have a similar focus (watch it turn out to be the Arkenbucket and the wielder gets Aquaman's abilities . . .).
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby fjolnir » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Turns take place globally for a side, in a specific order. Charlie would have to ally himself with a third party whose turn comes after the RCC in order to capitalize on this particular turn of events and I doubt that there are any third parties in GK's neck of the woods willing to try it.
fjolnir

Postby Kreistor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:54 pm

fjolnir wrote:Turns take place globally for a side, in a specific order. Charlie would have to ally himself with a third party whose turn comes after the RCC in order to capitalize on this particular turn of events and I doubt that there are any third parties in GK's neck of the woods willing to try it.

Once your turn ends, your Move is set to 0, so allying after your Turn cannot give you a second Turn.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Sieggy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Which does not answer the question - if GKs turn has ended, whose turn is it? Anyone else with units in the battlespace, or none at all? And if not, then why has not night fallen, thus signalling An End To All Turns? Ah, the ambiguities of relativism, or worse, objectivism . . .

I mean, look at the perilous situation of Little Orphan Aynie, set to bring down the house trying to protect her Daddy Warbucks . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Kreistor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:01 am

It is Jetstone's Turn. We know from Book 1 that Charlescomm Natural Turn is earlier than GK, so it must have ended before Book 2 started. GK's Turn ended early (after Wanda Moved to Arispace, crossing a Hex border) due to the Turnamancy Link casting. Jetstone's (and the RCC2) Turn was next, evidenced by Trammenis Moving from field into City (crossing a Hex). It is still Jetstone's Turn because Slately's plan is to make enough Schmuckers off Charlie to promote Trammenis to Heir, get him out of the City (crossing a Hex border), and then dying, allowing Jetstone to continue from another City as Capital... as if that does more than delay the inevitable.

Of course, they can arrange Alliance with Charlie for next Turn, assuming Charlie has stopped his mercenary demands on this issue, but they'll be unable to Move until after GK if they do that, so they'll probably play around with a pseudo-alliance like they did in the end of tBfGK.

Kreistor

Postby FireBlaze » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:59 am

Long time lurker, first time poster, posting purely to say that this page legitimately made me laugh out loud.
FireBlaze

Postby fjolnir » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:10 pm

Kreistor wrote:
fjolnir wrote:Turns take place globally for a side, in a specific order. Charlie would have to ally himself with a third party whose turn comes after the RCC in order to capitalize on this particular turn of events and I doubt that there are any third parties in GK's neck of the woods willing to try it.

Once your turn ends, your Move is set to 0, so allying after your Turn cannot give you a second Turn.

Right, unless he had all his ducks in a row and had allied with someone on the previous day in an effort to jump GK post Kingworld, he wouldn't be able to until after the principal players are back at GK to stop him (Wanda, Jack, and Parson can return via MK if need be, I assume the dragon express is still running as well if we want to return scarlet or others.)
fjolnir

Postby Lamech » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:42 pm

Kreistor wrote:

While I agree that allying after your turn shouldn't give you a second turn I disagree with the logic of why. I don't think he's not talking about allying ON someone's turn. We've seen that when Charlie allied with the RCCI, didn't get more move. But this is the scenario that we haven't seen. We have Charlie, Jillian, GK, Jetstone, and Haggar. All with turns in that order. At the start no one is allied. Charlie goes. Jillian goes, and while Jillian is going Charlie allies with GK. GK goes(?), does Charlie get a second turn? Then Jetstone goes, Charlie can break alliance and ally with Haggar. Does Charlie now get another turn with Haggar?

There is probably a rule that says "No more than one turn per day.", since otherwise that would be a moronic exploit and probably have been used. But it has nothing to do with move going to 0.
Lamech

Postby Beeskee » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:33 pm

In your example, Charlie would be able to take action along with the sides he allied with, but none of his units would have any move.

He could stack with them, engage in combat, disengage, and shuffle units around inside a city he or an allied side controlled. All the same things he could do off-turn.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Kreistor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:27 pm

Beeskee wrote:In your example, Charlie would be able to take action along with the sides he allied with, but none of his units would have any move.

He could stack with them, engage in combat, disengage, and shuffle units around inside a city he or an allied side controlled. All the same things he could do off-turn.

No, he is right. If Charlie allied with someone to delay his Turn, and then allied with someone earlier in the Turn order and broke the other Alliance, he should be able to go with the new Allied Side, because Charlescomm units still have Move. [Edit... check that. that might cause problems with delaying the new allied side to the old side... if he breaks Alliance first, his Turn has already passed... not sure how this would resolve, now.]

Now, there may be a detail in the Alliance rules that prevent this, but I don't recall anything. My memory isn't perfect, and I usually look this up, but I don't have time right now.

Kreistor

Postby Goshen » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:00 pm

If Jack exerted his power in any way, would the GTTMA be able to sense it? Or would they have to read/monitor his mind to do it?

Reading a master foolamancer's mind could be tricky. He might create some special thoughts just for you to fined. 8-)
Goshen

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:07 pm

Goshen wrote:If Jack exerted his power in any way, would the GTTMA be able to sense it? Or would they have to read/monitor his mind to do it?

Reading a master foolamancer's mind could be tricky. He might create some special thoughts just for you to fined. 8-)

Have you ever seen Inception? It would be something like that. But you wouldn't be sure who was incepting who.
The.Healing.Mage

Postby fjolnir » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:45 pm

Move is automatically set to 0 when your turn (or the turn of your allied side) ends, Charlie would have had to set up the decapitation attack alliance with a side that goes AFTER JS or provide archons to FAQ (something that the RCC would have kicked Jill out of the alliance if they knew about.) in order to have a shot at it.
fjolnir

Postby Geordy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:33 am

I know we are on the brink of a new page comming up but let me make one final comment on the current page:

Wanda looks absolutely and stunningly beautiful in these panels! Excellent art, XIn!
Geordy

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:10 am

Are you trying to start a new annoying intarwebz forum thing? Like so-

NEXT TO LAST POST! :P
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby The.Healing.Mage » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:52 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Are you trying to start a new annoying intarwebz forum thing? Like so-

NEXT TO LAST POST! :P

Damnit man! :( (Also, LAST!) :twisted:

EDIT: Just realized this would have been a lot funnier if I were a mod. inb4 "Mage isn't last."
The.Healing.Mage

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions