We can see pretty clearly that those who wield a 'Tool have a thirst for power/control, and each 'Tool seems to provide them with a means to achieve that goal.
- Wanda: Controls a vast, upkeep-free force that is loyal to her rather than her overlord.
- Stanley: Was able to tame rare units that were also loyal to him alone, and he rose quickly through the ranks as a result.
- Charlie: "Publicly" admits to a desire to control all information/espionage in Erfworld, and has the Thinkamancy to do it.
- Ansom: Though not an attuned user, he did have quite the superiority complex and was very attached to the 'Pliers.
Given the 'Dish's powers, and this psychological profile of those who have 'Tools (whether the personality is because of exposure to a 'Tool, or an inherent trait that made Fate choose them as an attuned user is unknown) I can hazard a few guesses at Charlie's true nature.
The first that comes to mind is that Charlie in fact an "ordinary" Thinkamancer and still has an Overlord...but somehow he has justified totally mind-controlling that Overlord. In fact, the voice we think of as Charlie may in fact the the voice of the Overlord.
This could explain why Charlie only allows a handful of Archons to see him.
If this is not the case, then it would appear Charlie is a legitimate Overlord. This means that either:
- Heirs can pop with Casting ability.
- A caster can be appointed Heir Designate.
The final possibility is that Charlie is a resident of Stupidworld and was brought here just like Parson, perhaps by the GMTTA. This of course means that he as a unit could "break" cannon like Parson does, though the previous two hypotheses suggest new cannon that would allow for the possibility that Charlie may not be a unique case.
Any thoughts, or references that support any of these theories?