Playtesters Wanted! "New" Erfworld Game!

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Playtesters Wanted! "New" Erfworld Game!

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 pm

Hello folks!
Some of you may recall a gaming system that went by the name of "New Erf" that tried to spice up the game by adding mechanics for Titanic Involvement in addition to the aspects that we think of as "Erfworld".
Well, a few of us are trying to bring to back to life (minus the Titans part) by picking up where the others left off, and filling in the gaps of their early-alpha rules. Having ironed out a few basic kinks (namely redrafting the caster rules, and pulling together a "formula" to calculate combat) we're looking for players to test it out.
To explain the system in brief, here are a few highlights:
  • Players create a side from scratch, using a "point" system to generate a list of units they can pop
  • Unit "types" include those we know and love, including stabbers, pikers, and knight, as well as 4 different kinds of "Special" units that are totally unique to the side.
  • Random caster generation, with an improved list of spells and room to grow.
  • Terrain with different effects, and the ability to chose a favored terrain for your side.

The system of course needs some continued improvement, but I feel we have gotten the basics settled well enough to make those improvements as we go with player input. So, players should:
  • Be interested in the Erfworld fantasy setting
  • Have a good level of familiarity with the comic
  • Be able to email/post orders a few times a day
  • Be eager/willing to play within a rule-set that is still in its beta phase, and offer constructive criticism

Any takers? :) (and by the way, we would welcome a GM, as we have one but he would like to play instead if able)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Re: Playtesters Wanted! "New" Erfworld Game!

Postby Nihila » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:54 am

Any specifics on rules?
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:08 am

Actually I believe you are a member on the forum where these rules originated cus I recognize ur avatar and SN, so for the most part you should be pretty familiar with the rules.
But for everyone else's benefit, here are links!
Erf Rules Beta 2.0
0beron's Caster Rules
Spellbook
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Twoy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:59 am

I am still >>>IN<<< for New Erf. I have been monitoring the discussion on the New Erf Forum, but I have not posted anything, because I was waiting to see if we would make any more progress.

Oddly enough, about a week or two ago I stopped receiving messages to my e-mail whenever a new post was made on the New Erf forums.

I am available for playtesting also, but I am currently away from home until tomorrow.
Twoy

Postby 0beron » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:38 am

Huh that is pretty weird, cus that's right about when I joined the forum and got things moving again hahah. Maybe your email marked it as spam since you hadn't gotten one in a while?

Anyway, great to hear you're still interested, that means we have at least 2 players (with 2 other "maybes") :)
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Twoy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:29 am

Just realized that you did not post on any of the threads that I was following.
Twoy

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Ahhhh well THAT would make sense then haha. Well glad to have you back now! If only ReginaldMcMuffin would log back on to be GM, then we could get the ball rolling....
Any one else interested? I know this is labeled as a "playtest" but the rules ARE in a pretty good state, so don't be hesitant just cus of that! :)
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Twoy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Just finished turn 15 of the Chronicles of Narnia in New Erf. I don't want to give too much away, but I thought I would share a bit about what High King Peter has accomplished thus far.

Caer Paravel is a level 3 capital city and Peter just popped Aslan's Howe, a level 1 city on the edge of the kingdom. Next turn, he will head back to Caer Paravel to pick up some shmuckers and travel to the future location of Beaversdam.
Twoy

Postby Kaed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm still willing to GM, and I'm pretty sure I'm generally qualified to run this particular ruleset :)

My computer is in the shop right now, so it'll be a bit but I can certainly stop by occationally until then during my 2 hours I have at the library (boo hiss)
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Twoy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Kaed,
I suspect Oberon would be more than happy to let you GM the game. He really wants to play, but not GM. We are just running a test now.

I´m on vacation at the moment with lots of free time on my hands and very little internet access. I have reworked the main rules to increase the movement and allow more distance between cities. Just got a printout this morning of the spell compendium. I plan to rework those over the next few days.

I´m hoping we can discuss my changes starting in about a week and implement the new rules in a big game.
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:09 pm

BTW, we are playing the game on Google Wave. Oberon or I can send you an invite to the game.
Twoy

Postby Kaed » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm not really sure what google wave is, and the rule links you gave here required that I had a google account?

Do I need to get one for doing this game?
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Twoy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:44 am

I think it works better if you have a google mail account.
Twoy

Postby maceman121 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Just wondering if there are still spaces open and if this game might not have yet kicked off. Looks very interesting and starting to read the newer site, but before delving to deep,figured I would ask here to be sure. Good thing to do to pass the time between comics :-).
maceman121

Postby Twoy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:34 pm

So far the only people who have accounts in Google Wave where we are playing the game is Oberon, the gamemaster, and Nihila and I. Since Oberon is the GM, he will have the final say, but I assume, for this test, whoever gets a side created and signed up in Google wave first will most likely get a spot in the play test.
Twoy

Postby maceman121 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:18 am

Well, posted my Womans army XD, so let us see if the space is open and the game starts soon enough XD.
maceman121

Postby maceman121 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Hopefully another game starts up since this one turned out full, though doesn't look likely from interest levels. If others are interested, might try adjusting a few things and running a game myself using the rules already made as core with just some modifications.
maceman121

Postby Balerion » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:29 am

I'll have to pay attention to see when a new game gets started... this sounds like it could be fun :)
Balerion

Postby thaco4 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm very interested. However, isn't Google wave now no longer running?
Indeed
thaco4

Postby Twoy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Google wave is still running.
Twoy

Next

Return to Your Games