My own D&D game.

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: My own D&D game.

Postby MuthSera » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:35 am

CHARACTER CHOICES.

All characters have NO alignment. You are not good, evil, chaotic, lawful, or neutral.. However!
You are good for purposes of becoming a paladin, and evil for purposes of becoming a dread necromancer.(But not at the same time.)
You will NOT, however, be detected by detect evil, good, chaos, or law.
You will only ever be one particular alignment when it's most favorable to you.

Maximum level adjustment: +1

Characters making the choice to take a +1 will receive their class levels, as normal..
Characters with +0 will receive 2. So effectively.. 2 is our starting level. <:3

Characters have HP under 0 equal to 1/2 of their HP.
Characters leveling up do not roll, they take an average.
Since the average for a d4 is 2.5, a d6 is 3.5, a d8 is 4.5, ect..
Instead, if they are leveling up to an odd level, they take 1/2 the dice, and add 1, if to an even level, they add only 1/2 of the dice.(except first level.)

For instance: average'd D8 progression..
1st level, with 14 con.
8+2 = 10 HP
2nd
4+2=16 hp
3rd
5+2 = 23

(You'll never have to keep track of this. I will. But if you ever think it's spectacularly stupid for a reason I didn't think of, let me know.)
Characters have their HP doubled, but whenever taking lethal damage, for every point of lethal damage, additionally take 1 point of sub dual damage. Whenever taking strictly sub dual damage, they take twice as much. Healing behaves the same as it previously did. For every point lethal damage healed, 1 point of sub dual is also healed.

I'll repeat this again. NO back stories. Anybody. I'd really tell you if I wanted you to write one. :)
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
MuthSera

Postby malekith » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:32 am

just sticking my oar in,
and yes i will be up for the game. not sure what i'll play yet.
first race then class, and no backstory to base it on :o
i think i'll either go human, tiefling or possibly vamp or maaaaybe a lycanthrope.
i'll stick to whatever i RP before i choose my classes, try and keep a clear mind :lol:
anyway looking forward to it ;)

M
malekith

Postby Pax » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:43 am

Voice of the Rules-Guru-On-The-Sidelines for a moment, if I might:
MuthSera wrote:All characters have NO alignment. You are not good, evil, chaotic, lawful, or neutral.. However!
You are good for purposes of becoming a paladin, and evil for purposes of becoming a dread necromancer.(But not at the same time.)

One presumes that the whole "for the purposes of becoming a(n) [_insert class here_]" idea extends to ALL alignment restrictions by Class, yes? So long as you don't take classes with contradictory alignment requirements?

For example: Monks must be Lawful. Bards must be non-Lawful. Barbarians must be non-Lawful. So a Monk/Barbarian is not possible, nor is a Monk/Bard ... but a Bard/Barbarian is.

Meanwhile, a Warlock must be Chaotic and/or Evil (thus, LE, NE, CE, CN, and CG are all allowed). So a Monk/Warlock is possible (LE), but a Paladin/Warlock is not (Paladins must be LG, Warlocks cannot be LG).

Yes? :)

malekith wrote:i think i'll either go human, tiefling or possibly vamp or maaaaybe a lycanthrope.

Lycanthropes are way way way more than a +1 race - at least a +3 level adjustment, PLUS a pile of racial hit dice - for example, a Werebear is +3 adjustment, and 6HD. However, you could go with shifter if you want an almost-lycanthrope, and have access to the Eberron rulebook. :)

Vampires are a +4 or +5 level adjustment.
Pax

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:48 am

1) What system are we using for stat generation?

2) I have no idea how to make a character with one "race" level.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby MuthSera » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Pax wrote:Voice of the Rules-Guru-On-The-Sidelines for a moment, if I might:
One presumes that the whole "for the purposes of becoming a(n) [_insert class here_]" idea extends to ALL alignment restrictions by Class, yes? So long as you don't take classes with contradictory alignment requirements?

For example: Monks must be Lawful. Bards must be non-Lawful. Barbarians must be non-Lawful. So a Monk/Barbarian is not possible, nor is a Monk/Bard ... but a Bard/Barbarian is.

Meanwhile, a Warlock must be Chaotic and/or Evil (thus, LE, NE, CE, CN, and CG are all allowed). So a Monk/Warlock is possible (LE), but a Paladin/Warlock is not (Paladins must be LG, Warlocks cannot be LG).

Precisely.

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:1) What system are we using for stat generation?

2) I have no idea how to make a character with one "race" level.

1> Point buy. 32 points. Don't roll stats until I tell you to. I'll tell you to when you pick a class. This is important.

2a) Try harder.
2b> No wait... ! http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Humanoid_Type
2c> In case that doesn't help, don't sweat it, right now. It may not(Almost certainly not.) even come up before you get your class levels, anyways. Just know that you suck at the start, and shouldn't go starting any fights, yet. If you must? Be careful. <:3 God speed, young pumpkin.
MuthSera

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Humanoid, eh? Is it not cool to play Warforged?
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby chrono » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Well first, thanks for the invite. I came to the thread with the clear intention to decline and essentially let somebody else have a go, but I won't. I'm sometimes random like that. Also, the other game (that I still give preference to) has its GM missing in action.
I hope it won't be too random. I'm not a big fan of gestalt, but I do enjoy a low level game. So I was just gonna tell you to expect a really messy Barbarian/Cleric, but I saw:
1> Point buy. 32 points. Don't roll stats until I tell you to. I'll tell you to when you pick a class. This is important.

What gives? Quit slackin' and 'tell' already.

Edit: quote
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Pax » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:Humanoid, eh? Is it not cool to play Warforged?

Good point.

And Tieflings / Aasimar would be Outsiders.
Pax

Postby Raigne » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:11 pm

MuthSera wrote:and shouldn't go starting any fights, yet. If you must? Be careful. <:3 God speed, young pumpkin.

Why must you tempt me so?
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Ranger/Wizard (2nd/1st Level)
Str-10 Dex-12 Con-11 Int-16 Wis-15 Cha-13

>It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Raigne

Postby Lothmar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Pax wrote:

Good point.

But they are still 'humanoid' outsiders. Just like how orcs are 'monsterous humanoid'. Basically anything bipedal that can be mistaken for a human from a long distance, is usually humanoid.
Lothmar

Postby Pax » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:23 pm

Lothmar wrote:
Pax wrote:

Good point.

But they are still 'humanoid' outsiders. Just like how orcs are 'monsterous humanoid'. Basically anything bipedal that can be mistaken for a human from a long distance, is usually humanoid.

No no no, you don't get it. We're talking about Type, not merely "shape". Type is very important in the 3.5E rules. A 1-HD "Humanoid" is not the same as a 1-HD "Outsider (Native)", and neither is the same as a 1HD "Construct (Living Construct)".

Humanoids get ...
  • 8-sided Hit Dice
  • Base Attack bonus equal to 3/4 the creature's Hit Dice - meaning, +0 at 1HD.
  • Good Reflex saves; (NOTE: this means their Reflex save may get WORSE upon gaining their first level ...!!)
  • Proficient with all Simple weapons
  • Proficient with NO armor or shields

Outsiders get ...
  • 8-sided Hit Dice
  • Base Attack bonus equal to the creature's Hit Dice - meaning, +1 at 1HD (NOTE: that base attack bonus may go DOWN upon gaining the first level, depending on class selected!)
  • Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves; (NOTE: this means their saves, at least one, WILL get WORSE upon gaining their first level ...!!)
  • Skill points equal to 8 plus their Intelligence modifier, per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die. (NOTE: again, their skills WILL get worse - and be unleared - when they gain a level, unless they pick Rogue.)
  • Proficiency with all simple and martial weapons (NOTE: non-warriors will LOSE knowledge of some weapons)
  • Proficient with Light armor (NOTE: wizards and sorcerors will forget how to wear these armors)
  • Darkvision 60' (unless their description specifies otherwise)

As you can see, the two are materially different. An Aasimar with no class levels, will be significantly better than a Human, Elf, or Dwarf with no class levels (tons more skill points, much better saves, better BAB, the ability to actually wear armor, and so on.

Honestly, I don't recommend MuthSera proceed in exactly this way, and I'm going to PM him/her about it immediately. :)
Pax

Postby MuthSera » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Pax wrote:If I may be so bold ...?

I think you are overcomplicating your game, in terms of how Class Levels are being selected. Here's my alternate suggestion, which will have almost exactly the same effect:

MAKING A CHARACTER
  • Attributes are determined with the Point-buy rules, spending no more than 32 points.
  • No race with a Level Adjustment greater than +1 may be selected.
  • Level Adjustment does not apply ... yet.
  • All characters begin play with 2 levels of the Commoner class.
  • You may not select any feat which is restricted to 1st level or "beginning characters only".
  • You do NOT get quadruple skill points at first level. Tough luck.
  • You start with precisely 2hp, plus two hit-dice worth of your Constitution bonus. Tough luck, again.
  • If you have a level adjustment, then all Attack, Skill, and Saving Throw rolls are made with a -1 penalty. Sucks to be you.

REACHING LEVEL THREE
  • You will acquire one level of a normal Adventurer class (Fighter, Bard, Wizard, etc).
  • Your feat for this level can be any feat normally restricted to first-level characters.
  • You DO get quadruple the usual number of skill points.
  • You get maximum hit points for your hit die.
  • If you have a level adjustment, you continue to suffer a -1 penalty on all Attack, Skill, and Saving Throw rolls. it still sucks to be you.

REACHING LEVEL FOUR
  • If you had a level adjustment, you do not gain a class level. Instead, your ECL rises by 1, and you begin using the normal rules for Level-Adjusted races. On the other hand, no more -1 penalty, huzzah!
  • Everyone else follows the normal rules for character advancement. Lucky them.

LEVEL FIVE AND BEYOND
  • Normal rules apply from here on out.

The advantage is, noone will LOSE anything for getting their first level ... eventually everything becomes normal and by-the-book ... and most people can answer their own questions about creatign and advancing their charactr, just by opening the PHB. :)

I think it's more important that I understand their characters than they do.

That TOTALLY obnoxious thing being said, I PROMISE PROMISE PROMISE it won't be messed up for very long! Cross my heart and hope to die. <:3

On that note. LadyBaahl MIGHT be able to make it. As such, storyline will permit her to re-enter later.

Here goes nothing... One first post, coming right up.
MuthSera

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:01 am

So... can I play a Warforged, or not?

Edit: did not see game thread up.
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Lothmar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:22 am

So, if we did pick a race other then human. Were we human before the 'incident' or that particular race? Figured that could be some good RP material if a guy went from a human to a goblin. XD
Lothmar

Postby Pax » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:35 am

Well, lothmar ... are YOU human??
Pax

Postby chrono » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:39 am

Pax wrote:Well, lothmar ... are YOU human??

I don't know about him, but I have my suspicions about a few of the others ;)
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Raigne » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Lothmar wrote:So, if we did pick a race other then human. Were we human before the 'incident' or that particular race? Figured that could be some good RP material if a guy went from a human to a goblin. XD

You're roleplaying yourself. So you were human before the crash, you may still be human after if you pick that as your race, but you can be something else, like a goblin. :P
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Ranger/Wizard (2nd/1st Level)
Str-10 Dex-12 Con-11 Int-16 Wis-15 Cha-13

>It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Raigne

Postby Lothmar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:45 pm

I was just checking,sheesh... >>
Lothmar

Postby MuthSera » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Raigne wrote:
Lothmar wrote:So, if we did pick a race other then human. Were we human before the 'incident' or that particular race? Figured that could be some good RP material if a guy went from a human to a goblin. XD

You're roleplaying yourself. So you were human before the crash, you may still be human after if you pick that as your race, but you can be something else, like a goblin. :P

Thanks for clearing that up for them. xD; I've been waiting for people to log on and see whats up. Been playing armored core 4 while I wait. so bored.
Umm.. warforged.. warforged. ;_;' If a warforged has a soul, and has +1 or less, and is susceptible to cold environments, you may. This is not because I want people to freeze. This is because my explanation to come won't make much sense if your body isn't bothered by cold.
MuthSera

Postby MuthSera » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Mm. I've reviewed warforged. You may use it.
MuthSera

Previous

Return to Your Games